Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Magres posted:

okay seriously please tell me this poo poo about the imperium being your name is at least half tongue in cheek, preferably mostly or entirely tongue in cheek

its so goddamned pubbie edgelord

it used to be clusterfuck coalition, but it was changed to make us more marketable for Mitten's pocketses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Rhymenoserous posted:

In themepark mmo's you are ALMOST correct, because almost 15 years of constant MMO development fighting "Griefer" behavior has really put a damper on things. Yet I guarantee you there is a GW2 and STO thread right now whining about goons on their official forums. In pretty much every sandbox game/mmo we are pretty awful to the people we encounter.

In ark we locked down a whole server, when we got bored we sent roving wolfpacks from server to server, not to assert dominance but to simply break whatever the "Alpha group" of that server was, then gently caress off. Our methods were often "Dishonorable". We made pubbies pay is tribute to not burn their poo poo down.

In black desert goons have found all sorts of fun ways to gently caress with pubbies. Lets just say a lot of people have been drowning lately and leave it at that.

yeah true gw2 pubbies fuckin hate goons

it's fun, theres an open world boss that spawns enemies that explode into aoes that murder you when they die, so goons always pull them into the pubbie zerg swarm when they stack up to kill the boss

you can also be in multiple guilds at once and choose which tag you wear, and there's a small goon guild with the same tag (WPAK) as one of the main furry guilds in gw2 and some of us switch to wearing that tag when we pull the bomb guys while people wearing tags for the main goon guilds scream in local about how those goddamned WPAK trolls are at it again

Goatman Sacks posted:

it used to be clusterfuck coalition, but it was changed to make us more marketable for Mitten's pocketses.

change it to like goonwaffe coalition or something, jesus just the imperium is so cringey as a name

even like Space Nerd Coalition would be a better name

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Apr 1, 2016

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yet I guarantee you there is a GW2 and STO thread right now whining about goons on their official forums.

Yeah, it's weird because in FFXIV goons are harmless and just stick to themselves because griefing is basically impossible and there's enough of us that we don't really have to leave the bubble for materials or groups or whatever. Goons still get blamed for poo poo in that game.

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

Potato Salad posted:

Yes? https://soundcloud.com/user-611751041/imperium-fireside-3-29

Edit: I mean, that pretty clearly sounds like an expectation that a lot of CO2 members will feel like they've been put upon and want to stay in the Imperium. Alternately, and I've been out of the loop for ages, it's standard hurfing / blurfing of "The members of the traitor alliance aren't happy with their leadership" regardless of whether the assertion that there's dissent in CO2 is true of false?

Is it just me or does Mittani do a really, really good Hardcore History Dan Carlin impression?

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Goatman Sacks posted:

I thought it was when TMC tried to sell people on a six figure kickstarter for a book about a largely irrelevant territorial war and responded to criticism by saying that the community doesn't exist.

Sion said that Reddit echo chambers don't represent the whole Eve community. The war was as irrelevant as any territorial war in Eve, but was certainly the largest event going on at the time: it was basically the CFC's civil war. The six-figure thing is simple: the author has a good job. This was apparently hard for some people to understand.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Magres posted:

yeah true gw2 pubbies fuckin hate goons

it's fun, theres an open world boss that spawns enemies that explode into aoes that murder you when they die, so goons always pull them into the pubbie zerg swarm when they stack up to kill the boss

you can also be in multiple guilds at once and choose which tag you wear, and there's a small goon guild with the same tag (WPAK) as one of the main furry guilds in gw2 and some of us switch to wearing that tag when we pull the bomb guys while people wearing tags for the main goon guilds scream in local about how those goddamned WPAK trolls are at it again

the WoW community lost their minds back in Wrath when goonsquad started winning wintergrasp by just parachuting in and blowing up the final door with hand thrown bombs to win instantly.

Magres posted:

change it to like goonwaffe coalition or something, jesus just the imperium is so cringey as a name

The name "Imperium" causes physical harm to pubbies with its sheer audacity.

Zephyrine fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 1, 2016

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Zephyrine posted:

the WoW community lost their minds back in Wrath when goonsquad started winning wintergrasp by just parachuting in and blowing up the final door with hand thrown bombs to win instantly.

Man I remember reading threads on the blizz forums about : "Omg these guys charge you to be in their guild!!" "You gotta pay :10bux: to get in they are RMTing!"

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Magres posted:

worst case scenario goons get their teeth hammered down their throats, 'the imperium' breaks apart, and mittens announces goon pilgrimage to some ancestral homeland goons occupied at some point and goons go back to being a roving mongol horde instead of sitting on their asses collecting moon goo

alternately the above happens but instead of goon pilgrimage, goons go crash in/near co2 space and hellcamp them until they dissolve as an alliance

Not gonna lie, I think something like this would be incredibly fun, but that's also because I'm a rich enough player where the loss of SRP wouldn't hit me nearly as hard. The reality of the current moon money meta (as I understand it from my limited perspective at least) is that for goons to enjoy the generous SRP and other perks that we currently provide, we do need to keep hold on what we've got.

Goons living in Thera or Delve would be pretty cool to me though.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Ynglaur posted:

Sion said that Reddit echo chambers don't represent the whole Eve community. The war was as irrelevant as any territorial war in Eve, but was certainly the largest event going on at the time: it was basically the CFC's civil war. The six-figure thing is simple: the author has a good job. This was apparently hard for some people to understand.

The only hard part to understand is why Mittani would stand by an insufferable prick like Sion, who is basically our Baki Yuku

oh wait dollar bills.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Goatman Sacks posted:

The only hard part to understand is why Mittani would stand by an insufferable prick like Sion, who is basically our Baki Yuku

oh wait dollar bills.

Well he hangs out with the dude in real life all the time and probably values that over videogame words, image and decisions.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Goatman Sacks posted:

oh wait dollar bills.

Sion's been the number 2 man in the background for a LONG time. No one knew who the gently caress he was outside of ilum/diplos till he started posting really cringy poo poo to tmc.com. I can't help but feel making him one of our public figures was a giant mistake, he's very good at being "Man behind the power" but his personality is far to dry to throw him out front.

I mean I enjoyed all of his diplomacy talks at various venues, but I still couldn't shake the feeling that I was being lectured too by an accounting major.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Well, he should be put back in the box from which he was hiding all this time.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Rhymenoserous posted:

Sion's been the number 2 man in the background for a LONG time. No one knew who the gently caress he was outside of ilum/diplos till he started posting really cringy poo poo to tmc.com. I can't help but feel making him one of our public figures was a giant mistake, he's very good at being "Man behind the power" but his personality is far to dry to throw him out front.

agreedo, him getting let into the light was A Bad Decision that i feel (i have no evidence dont get on my dick about this) was him wanting some limelight

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Ynglaur posted:

given publishing fees, cover art costs (the artist who does the cover art for one of my favorite author's books gets paid somewhere in the five figure range per book cover - good cover art is not cheap), paying the author, and taking care of backer rewards, 150k for a book isn't even close to unreasonable

the fact that someone did one for like 20k doesn't make the 150k unreasonable, it just means the person who did it for 20k did it as a side project to their actual life and more or less did it for free

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I mean that Groen book took forever to make, but it's quality poo poo

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Magres posted:

given publishing fees, cover art costs (the artist who does the cover art for one of my favorite author's books gets paid somewhere in the five figure range per book cover - good cover art is not cheap), paying the author, and taking care of backer rewards, 150k for a book isn't even close to unreasonable

the fact that someone did one for like 20k doesn't make the 150k unreasonable, it just means the person who did it for 20k did it as a side project to their actual life and more or less did it for free

let your favorite author know they can find some real gems among furry artists on deviantart who will do a fancy cover for five figures including two decimal places.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I haven't read it and I wasn't trying to imply it's not good

It's just that he definitely did it for free while supporting himself by other means and did so out of the goodness of his heart. It's nice, really actually lovely even, when people do that, but expecting it to be the norm and for other people to write books more or less for free for you is unreasonable.

frozenpussy posted:

let your favorite author know they can find some real gems among furry artists on deviantart who will do a fancy cover for five figures including two decimal places.

Nah it's good artists should get paid good money for doing quality work, from what I understand the book covers are all full size like 36"x48" gorgeous oil paintings that the artist spends months on. If you want someone to work exclusively on a project for you for several months and their art is their primary means of income, you have to be ready to pay them several months of salary.

Like tbh it's really stupid and lovely that people pretty much expect musicians, artists, and authors to do poo poo for them for free because 'art is fun' or something. It's a set of skills that take years of work to develop and people should be paid for their expertise and talents. If they want to do it as a means of self expression that they're not trying to get paid for, more power to them, it's just not something that should be expected of them.

Magres fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Apr 1, 2016

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

agreedo, him getting let into the light was A Bad Decision that i feel (i have no evidence dont get on my dick about this) was him wanting some limelight

Tone and delivery can really change perception. Jersey Johnson could have written the same articles Sion has in his own language and with his particular sense of humor and gotten a radically different response.

Media and Diplomacy are entirely different animals, it pays to be a bit dry when dealing with theoretical professionals on the other side, because you lay down a string of facts, or creative lies in a no nonsense matter and get results. Media is all about zeitgeist, perception, feelings, you aren't influencing an individual who can be at least pushed into being a rational actor, you are influencing a mob.

Dadbuck
Apr 14, 2008

Hate the game, not the playa

Goatman Sacks posted:

oh wait dollar bills.

The only hard part to understand is why Mittani, an insufferable prick, would stand by an insufferable prick like Sion, who is basically our Baki Yuku

oh wait dollar bills.

FTFY

EDIT: Italics

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Magres posted:

makes it all the funnier when people see GOON and go "OH GOD ITS THOSE EVE GUYS HISSSSSS"

like ime goons still like to gently caress around in most games but there's basically nothing in gaming where you can just relentlessly hatefuck people the way you can in eve, in other games if someone really makes you unhappy you can put them on your ignore list and that's about the end of things

I miss scamming.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Zephyrine posted:

The name "Imperium" causes physical harm to pubbies with its sheer audacity.

they mostly call it the emporium and laugh

Siets posted:

Not gonna lie, I think something like this would be incredibly fun, but that's also because I'm a rich enough player where the loss of SRP wouldn't hit me nearly as hard. The reality of the current moon money meta (as I understand it from my limited perspective at least) is that for goons to enjoy the generous SRP and other perks that we currently provide, we do need to keep hold on what we've got.

Goons living in Thera or Delve would be pretty cool to me though.

no it would suck rear end because anyone who would enjoy living in an npc station left during the last 2 years of peacetime. rebuilding after you lost everything is a lot of work.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

Arrgytehpirate posted:

I miss scamming.

yeah i really wish scamming were allowed in more games

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

AAPsel posted:

no it would suck rear end because anyone who would enjoy living in an npc station left during the last 2 years of peacetime. rebuilding after you lost everything is a lot of work.

NPC stations are easy as gently caress to live in. Literally the only niggles are cloning services and logistics. The only thing sov stations really do for you is give you a convenient docking point for your ratting boats.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I don't like the idea of constantly shifting NPC homes because I have a super that I only really sub for important poo poo, and if we're on the move all the time, the front will be a galaxy away.

Foehammer007
Dec 7, 2011

by Pragmatica
What's a red pill

Huge_Midget
Jun 6, 2002

I don't like the look of it...
Man :ccp: must really be hurting for subs because they are doing as much as they can just short of directly cheerleading the Moneybadgers.

Also how hilarious/telling is it that their official Facebook posts direct people to r/Eve for up to the minute news and discussion? Good job on moderating your own forums out of existence you dumb vikings.

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Foehammer007 posted:

What's a red pill

rejection of society's norms because they're just too darned anti-man.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Dadbuck posted:

The only hard part to understand is why Mittani, an insufferable prick, would stand by an insufferable prick like Sion, who is basically our Baki Yuku

oh wait dollar bills.

FTFY

EDIT: Italics

Baki Yuki and sion have nothing in common, their space jobs don't line up, and if you take at face value that both were doing harm to their respective groups, they are doing it in entirely different ways. The key to successful concern trolling is to warp the actual facts as they stand to suit your purposes. The problem here is you apparently don't even know what baki yuki did to be reviled, nor what sion is doing right now. Sions issue's all stem from public perception, what you should do is warp his "Community speach" to make it sound like he said "There is no community" then say "Remember when someone said there is no goons :tinfoil:" then call him the rebirth of sirmolle only less fun to talk to.

But it's too late for that now. You flubbed it.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
SOTG has begun on the TMC twitch for those interested.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
MEGATHRONS MOTHERFUCKER DON'T YOU EVER FORGET

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Fuuuuck I wish I wasn't at work. I wanted to join the UQ9 defense

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Deofuta posted:

i clicked the thing long enough to hear "new allies, stainwagon and we hired white legion"

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I also hope transport ships get my skill goo down in time to pilot my raptor tonight

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Baltecs Two point OHHHHHHHHHHHHHH YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAh :woop:

big parcheesi player
Apr 1, 2014

Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Drythe posted:

I also hope transport ships get my skill goo down in time to pilot my raptor tonight

you can remote inject them?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

Wait, what?

Kirs
Dec 5, 2014

Apart from drinking, there is absolutely nothing to do here.

Drythe posted:

You can use it remotely, just like PLEX.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

gfdi

Daktari
May 30, 2006

As men in rage strike those that wish them best,

Deofuta posted:

Says offline here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

It's over

• Locked thread