Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Kill bandits, sell weapons to an armorer or a smith. Just wipe out some bandit camps. Merchants pay more money for loot related to what they're already selling. Personally, I sold everything to the armorer at the Novigrad market square, since it's easy to fast travel to him and he has a lot of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Evfedu posted:

Is there some sort of "you're an idiot newbie, do this to find your feet" guide for this game?

I'm really enjoying what I'm playing BUT I am just constantly broke. I've finished the first tutorial act and just finished up the Shrieker quest, but that's where my problems really kicked in. The whole thing about the shrieker was that it was meant to be weak to the force push sign but actually the way to beat it is to just flick to "exploding shield" and take nothing but a bit of bleeding damage for the whole fight. That was v. dumb.

So far I've assigned a bunch of points to the jedi mind trick (for conversations) the fast attack and blocking. Not committed any mutagens but making money just seems nigh on impossible. I do all the quests, all the question marks, all that crap but starting the second map running into level 9 ghouls/bandits I just feel horrendously underpowered. Money for better gear feels like the way to solve this, but that's probably because right now I'm playing it like Dark Souls with more talking.

Loot question marks, sell gear on to appropriate merchants for maximum cash. You will get your rear end handed to if you try and take on stuff too far above your level, get used to running away and coming back for vengeance later.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Shannow posted:

Loot question marks, sell gear on to appropriate merchants for maximum cash. You will get your rear end handed to if you try and take on stuff too far above your level, get used to running away and coming back for vengeance later.

And don't think that if you manage to grind away and kill a higher level opponent that the loot will be better, because it definitely isn't :downs:

Twobirds
Oct 17, 2000

The only talking mouse in all of Britannia.

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

i'm at :45 jammin out to robyn in my obsidian hoodie

This was amazing

Evfedu
Feb 28, 2007

Shannow posted:

they buy swords for like 4 crowns a piece! The armor is generally worth a few bob but I eat through more than I make on repairs 9/10 times.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Find/buy schematics for Witcher Gear, and then craft it. I'm not exactly an expert as I'm still in the middle of my first run through the game but I haven't even spent gold much. I don't buy poo poo from stores I just craft the latest and greatest Witcher gear sets. Iirc the first set I crafted was the Griffon set and I think the level for finding all of it is around 10-15ish. That made a big uptick in my power.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ginette Reno posted:

Find/buy schematics for Witcher Gear, and then craft it. I'm not exactly an expert as I'm still in the middle of my first run through the game but I haven't even spent gold much. I don't buy poo poo from stores I just craft the latest and greatest Witcher gear sets. Iirc the first set I crafted was the Griffon set and I think the level for finding all of it is around 10-15ish. That made a big uptick in my power.

He's a few levels away from that. But yeah.

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoL1NRh8JOI

i'm at :45 jammin out to robyn in my obsidian hoodie

drat, even the April Fools videos are good. Congrats on your youtube premiere too. Were you also the bug guy? Seemed like a similar frame.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Just picked my 2nd playthrough back up. I'm on XBONE, and I'm constantly getting the message that I can't synch info from the cloud. Anyone know how to get around that?

And since I'm on my second playthrough, a lot of my mastercrafted Witcher armor is nearing the end of it's effectiveness. Do you just have to go through and reforge all the Witcher gear starting from the lowest tier? Are their new tiers? Should I just get Skellige armor? Are there any good guides for this? I haven't played in around 9 months and I am ruuuuuuuuuuusty.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.

koreban posted:

drat, even the April Fools videos are good. Congrats on your youtube premiere too. Were you also the bug guy? Seemed like a similar frame.

Nope, no idea who that is.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Just picked my 2nd playthrough back up. I'm on XBONE, and I'm constantly getting the message that I can't synch info from the cloud. Anyone know how to get around that?

I am having the exact same proble and I'm glad it's not just me. I can't find aanything on google. Network test comes up good but no matter how many times press Connect To Live, nothing happen.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

fickle poofterist posted:

I am having the exact same proble and I'm glad it's not just me. I can't find aanything on google. Network test comes up good but no matter how many times press Connect To Live, nothing happen.

Yep. Works just fine offline, but it's annoying to have to sit through the 5 minute synch attempt every time I want to play.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Hi I am a big fan of the series and have not purchased 3 yet. Please excuse me for not reading through the last pages of the threads because I want my playthrough to be as spoiler free as possible. I am looking towards buying the PS4 version but am very stingy when it comes to harddrive space. I am scared this game plus the dlc will overload my crowded harddrive. So I've been waiting a year for the COMPLETE EDITION and so far I have not heard anything.

I'm pretty sure all the dlc is out though so I'm wondering if there are any options for me to play this, maybe it doesn't take up as much harddrive space as I imagine or the Complete Edition may have already came out.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Hi I am a big fan of the series and have not purchased 3 yet. Please excuse me for not reading through the last pages of the threads because I want my playthrough to be as spoiler free as possible. I am looking towards buying the PS4 version but am very stingy when it comes to harddrive space. I am scared this game plus the dlc will overload my crowded harddrive. So I've been waiting a year for the COMPLETE EDITION and so far I have not heard anything.

I'm pretty sure all the dlc is out though so I'm wondering if there are any options for me to play this, maybe it doesn't take up as much harddrive space as I imagine or the Complete Edition may have already came out.

All the DLC is not out yet. We are all still waiting on Blood and Wine which is the 2nd big expansion.

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Oh that's great, thanks!

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIeEZeKN8JE

Found this while on another website where a guy decided to drag up a year old video to complain about the Witcher 3. I'm not here to argue against the guy, but could you get anymore angry about a combat system? And then comparing it to Skyrim's.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
The combat response video is the worst one, it's him fighting a bunch of low level bandits in Velen and complaining about how you can kill everything by spamming fast attack.

Even though he is immediately proved wrong by a shield-wielding bandit which is when he needs to start parrying and poo poo. He almost dies himself. But we're supposed to ignore that part.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I probably shouldn't be doing internet detective stuff like this, but holy poo poo if this is true. That is a lot of anger for a video game.

Found this on the facepunch forums. Getting mad at a comment. That's almost as stupid as Digital Homicide's lawsuit attempt against Jim Sterling.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

fickle poofterist posted:

And don't think that if you manage to grind away and kill a higher level opponent that the loot will be better, because it definitely isn't :downs:

this really bothered me.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Arcsquad12 posted:

I probably shouldn't be doing internet detective stuff like this, but holy poo poo if this is true. That is a lot of anger for a video game.

Found this on the facepunch forums. Getting mad at a comment. That's almost as stupid as Digital Homicide's lawsuit attempt against Jim Sterling.

'deformation of character'

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
This year's April Fools reminded me of the one they put out for Witcher 2. The BARD: Saviours of Queens!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_Ju8WVY2a4

Come on CDProjekt RED, Make a costume DLC for Dandelion and his Redanian Robin Hood look you had going on in Witcher 2.

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Arcsquad12 posted:

That's more Novigrad, which is independent of Redania, officially. It just happens to be endorsed by that psychopath Radovid.

About the only "good" ruler of the North, and I use that term relatively, was Foltest, and he was an incestuous prick who let his capital city fall into civil war. Demavend couldn't cover his rear end, Meve's kingdom was too small and near the frontlines to stand a chance, Henselt is a loving monster, and Radovid's father Vizimir was murdered.
Saskia was a good ruler. :colbert:

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Will I miss out on any particularly cool content if I opt out of the Gwent thing? I find it incredibly tedious.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

anatomi posted:

Will I miss out on any particularly cool content if I opt out of the Gwent thing? I find it incredibly tedious.
No. Any sidequest that has Gwent is completely optional, you don't even have to win the major Gwent tournament sidequest to get the mission reward, you'll just miss out on rare Gwent cards.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Don't you have to have a deck of a certain strength to start the Gwent tournament or is that just flavor text?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
The only gwent game you should definitely play is in the expansion and you should lose it.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Kaysette posted:

The only gwent game you should definitely play is in the expansion and you should lose it.

If you don't, you're a jackass.

(minor spoilers)

If you lose the game, you can be Professor jackass.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

Franz von Dada posted:

The combat response video is the worst one, it's him fighting a bunch of low level bandits in Velen and complaining about how you can kill everything by spamming fast attack.

Even though he is immediately proved wrong by a shield-wielding bandit which is when he needs to start parrying and poo poo. He almost dies himself. But we're supposed to ignore that part.

There could be more variation to enemies and combat but I find it to be a lot of fun. I wasn't to into W2's combat, and loved the animations of the first game. Whirl is great, looks great, and while I don't use Rend a lot, it's hilarious splitting someone in half vertically.

Loved the duel early on in HoS, would be great if there were more fights like that. Also, the superior potions are hilarious. That vampire that craves booze? A potentially tough fight in a barn ended in 3 seconds for me because Superior Black Blood owns.
Same with Superior Golden Oriole with poison. Not the fights should be easy, just sometimes it's great when you prepare like a Witcher and slam some cocky rear end in a top hat.

Anthony Chuzzlewit
Oct 26, 2008

good for healthy

:lol: that was great. Especially mocapping the Roach glitches.

oversteps
Sep 11, 2001

I beat the game closer to launch, but all of my saves were deleted since there have been so many patches in the interim. I've been working my way through everything again, but it's becoming a bit of a slog since I really just want to get to the DLC. Is there any reason I should avoid doing the "just DLC" new game option?

I also started reading the books since I beat the game! I'm actually only a few chapters into The Last Wish, but it's pretty entertaining so far.

Also, I wanted to jump into this thread mostly to say that a coworker of mine got to the (main game spoiler) part where Geralt meets Ciri in the hut on the isle and we were both holding back tears while talking about it. What a great loving game. I've never been so immersed in a fantasy world quite like this one; it's definitely left a lasting impression on me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

oversteps posted:

I beat the game closer to launch, but all of my saves were deleted since there have been so many patches in the interim. I've been working my way through everything again, but it's becoming a bit of a slog since I really just want to get to the DLC. Is there any reason I should avoid doing the "just DLC" new game option?

I also started reading the books since I beat the game! I'm actually only a few chapters into The Last Wish, but it's pretty entertaining so far.

Also, I wanted to jump into this thread mostly to say that a coworker of mine got to the (main game spoiler) part where Geralt meets Ciri in the hut on the isle and we were both holding back tears while talking about it. What a great loving game. I've never been so immersed in a fantasy world quite like this one; it's definitely left a lasting impression on me.

The only things you'd miss with the "Just DLC" option are a few dialogue changes depending on points in the game. You can talk to Yennefer and Ciri about Gaunter O'Dimm's brand on your face, and you can mention to Shani whether or not Radovid is dead. Those are off the top of my head. Go for the Just DLC and grab a respec potion to tailor your Geralt to whatever you want.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

anatomi posted:

Yes. I don't know why people are saying no but one of the best side quests involves playing qwent and you'll need at least a couple of good cards to be able to do it. I think you'll be good to go if you just do the "play innkeepers, play velen players, play novigrad players" quests for cards.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Yes. I don't know why people are saying no but one of the best side quests involves playing qwent and you'll need at least a couple of good cards to be able to do it. I think you'll be good to go if you just do the "play innkeepers, play velen players, play novigrad players" quests for cards.

you can just youtube that, its not worth the slog of playing the game a bunch to get those cards.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

WoodrowSkillson posted:

you can just youtube that, its not worth the slog of playing the game a bunch to get those cards.

I guess you could do that with any quest. Gwent is easy and all the people you have to play are on your way to or at something main quest related.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
Gwent is great and if you don't play it you are a philistine, but you'll only miss out on one quest.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Gwent is great and if you don't play it you are a philistine, but you'll only miss out on one quest.

Is there anything being done with Gwent for Blood and Wine that you can talk about?

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Is there anything being done with Gwent for Blood and Wine that you can talk about?

Of course not.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Yes, you WOULD miss out on some cool content.

You know, Gwent itself.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Can you add a vendor in blood and wine that sells the locations of whatever superior oil formulas the player has missed by that point and the like because fun as it is systematically looting every peasant hovel across the gameworld for what feels like the third time i might begin to cry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Shannow posted:

Can you add a vendor in blood and wine that sells the locations of whatever superior oil formulas the player has missed by that point and the like because fun as it is systematically looting every peasant hovel across the gameworld for what feels like the third time i might begin to cry.

After I've been to every alchemy vendor in the world and was still missing formulas and a few components, I just consoled up for the rest. I recommend you do the same.