Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Badchay posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/236870/announcements/detail/857181154236741861

Two Escalations added, again. The Einarsson Inception and The Marsden Isotopy. Sounds pretty boring but guess I'll give it a try

The Marsden Isotopy is the easiest Escalation I've played by far. I think I finished all of them under three minutes with a perfect score. Start as Event Crew, run downstairs, grab knife, wait for second target to pass by, stab cook, hide cook, garotte guy while the model isn't watching, hide guy, run downstairs to the exit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Badchay posted:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/236870/announcements/detail/857181154236741861

Two Escalations added, again. The Einarsson Inception and The Marsden Isotopy. Sounds pretty boring but guess I'll give it a try

I've been having fun with the escalations, yet I'm seeing so many people complain about them. I don't get it.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The challenge for completing the Vampire Magician Escalation is bugged and won't let me get it so I kind of stopped playing them.

Badchay
Mar 22, 2015

status posted:

I've been having fun with the escalations, yet I'm seeing so many people complain about them. I don't get it.

They're kinda repetitive but not all bad. And I suppose there are worse ways to extend gameplay of a single map.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I find the disguise restrictions are what make it tedious/boring. Since, unlike different weapons, disguises can't really be carried around, I feel like the escalation missions have more or less one "correct" way to do them, which is basically the opposite of the best part of Hitman.

Extreme0
Feb 28, 2013

I dance to the sweet tune of your failure so I'm never gonna stop fucking with you.

Continue to get confused and frustrated with me as I dance to your anger.

As I expect nothing more from ya you stupid runt!

ThomasPaine posted:

Nah, I tried to do it with the normal suit and everyone went hostile straight off the bat

In the 3rd floor? They shouldn't be hostile at all regardless if you are wearing the 47, Requium or Tux suit if you sneaked in without getting caught.

If you just run past all the guard when going through the stairs up to the third floor then yea, you need the IAGO Invite to get past the guards.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

status posted:

I think I would like them better if you could skip levels by completing the forthcoming conditions before they're given to you. One of the early ones had you kill a guy, then kill the guy and hide the body within 60 seconds, then kill the guy and hide the body and do it all in under 5 minutes. Thing is I had already met the other two conditions on the first run so there's no increased challenge or anything, I'm just repeating the same thing over and over again.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

J-Spot posted:

I think I would like them better if you could skip levels by completing the forthcoming conditions before they're given to you. One of the early ones had you kill a guy, then kill the guy and hide the body within 60 seconds, then kill the guy and hide the body and do it all in under 5 minutes. Thing is I had already met the other two conditions on the first run so there's no increased challenge or anything, I'm just repeating the same thing over and over again.

This also.

Like, I don't mind that they include these as an extra feature, but honestly I would rather have more challenges for the real mission. The actual Paris mission itself is so crazy good that I have way more fun messing around with the literally dozens of ways you can complete each objective.

Also, why don't the freaking pictures of unlocked guns load in the menu? I have both the sniper rifle and the silverballer unlocked, but I can't see them in the loadout screen. I can see them in the mission fine, but it's just a loading circle in the menus.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

J-Spot posted:

I feel the problem with the escalations is that they took a three-step difficulty curve and stretched it out to to five steps. It would be a much tighter experience if they followed this formula:

- One target + complication
- Two targets + complication + additional task
- Three targets + two complications + additional task

This would eliminate redundancies and keep each level of the escalation fresh and somewhat more challenging without adding basic tasks in a replay or relying on stupid-rear end gimmicks like insta-death laser tripwires (ugh). If they really wanted to keep it five levels, keep adding targets to kill in each level up to a max of five, like in Contracts mode.

I enjoy the concept of the escalation contracts, regardless. It's just that some of them feel haphazardly thrown together, as if Allan had to rush to put one together at the last minute because he forgot to add the details. gently caress you, Allan!

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Bringing it back to the original Hitman, this was originally part of some promotional material send to video game magazines.

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/715286872117784576
I am pretty sure the only emotions he has in that game are neutral, pain and "weirded out after a girl kissed him".

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

A little disappointed it's so late in the month, to be honest.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Where is the vampire magician suit? I've gone through the Paris map maybe a dozen times now and I've never run across it. I think it's in the attic area and admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time scouring that area, but I'd like a general idea of where to look so I can knock out some of these challenges.

On escalations: I agree that there's room for improvement, but I like that they're smaller chunks of content that I can come back to now and again. Paris is Stage 1, so I think that it's okay for it to be kind of easy overall. Some of the restrictions force me to start in different locations (trip wire explosives, for example), which makes me re-think my strategy. I like that, but I think that even at its worse it's a little tame. Giving me two minutes to wipe a surveillance system is pretty generous when the security room is accessible to nearly anyone and the staff politely turns their backs on your sabotage. The way I hope it goes is that most the escalations right now are advanced tutorials for future destinations. Like, it might be a lot harder to hide a body within 90 seconds when the target is on a populated beach.

I ran into a bug last night going through The Showstopper where I had used the invite to get into the auction, but then I was trying to do the following: introduce myself as Mr. Reaper -> change into a palace staff disguise -> put rat poison in Dalia's drink then fish my pistol out of her toilet cistern and get the "Break in the Action" challenge. I thought it would be faster if I could grab a staff member on the top floor instead of going back to the loner next to the second-floor kitchen, and I was able to knock him out all right, but whenever I changed into his clothing the guard next to Dalia's bathroom would somehow see me and go straight to combat. The guy wasn't even on my minimap, but it happened every time I tried it. Eventually I just went back down and got the easier outfit, then I found out that the "Break in the Action" challenge only triggers if you're still wearing the tux (or something. It didn't unlock for me). Also during that run I tried to juggle murders by setting up the blogger with the remote explosive and triggering it when Viktor walked out to meet her. I could kill the target, but I don't think the blogger goes through her "I've got to check my phone for a second" script unless you're there to hear it. In any case, there's no way to tell if she's in the blast radius unless you've got eyes on her.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

LawfulWaffle posted:

Where is the vampire magician suit? I've gone through the Paris map maybe a dozen times now and I've never run across it. I think it's in the attic area and admittedly I haven't spent a lot of time scouring that area, but I'd like a general idea of where to look so I can knock out some of these challenges.
It's in one of the attic backrooms, specifically the one where you can have an agency drop.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Accordion Man posted:

It's in one of the attic backrooms, specifically the one where you can have an agency drop.

Excellent, thank you.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

I haven't beat the Paris scenario yet so I haven't read to much of the thread, but wanted to ask you guys:

What setting are you all using for "opportunities"? I turned them off right away because they seemed to make the game too easy for the first mission, but I'm having trouble getting anywhere with the Paris mission (so far I have an invite to the auction in the VIP area but can't figure out where to go from there). How bad is the "minimal" opportunity setting? Does it still suck all the creativity out of the game?

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007
Is there anyway to speed up the menu? I swear it takes like 2 minute just to choose the level and your equipment/outfit. Once you get in the game is fun but the menus are constantly loading.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

canadianclassic posted:

How bad is the "minimal" opportunity setting? Does it still suck all the creativity out of the game?

Minimal has a lightbulb or something appear as well as "Opportunity Revealing" across the top of the screen when you encounter one in the wild. Otherwise all it does is give you text instructions towards the next step. ex. "Find a bodyguard disguise" or "Meet Mr. X at Y location"

I only use minimal opportunities, vital information, and the minimap. Sometimes I feel like the minimap is too much because you can discern between the white/grey dots and tell who is able to spot you, but there's literally no other way to tell without it.

PhantomZero posted:

Is there anyway to speed up the menu? I swear it takes like 2 minute just to choose the level and your equipment/outfit. Once you get in the game is fun but the menus are constantly loading.

Based on my experiences with the menu and my lovely internet I'm guessing that each and every picture in the menu is loaded from the game's servers every single time you need it, rather than having you install them with the rest of the game. Square Enix is not a stranger to making the worst decisions possible when it comes to this "always online" horseshit so I wouldn't be surprised if I was right.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

canadianclassic posted:

I haven't beat the Paris scenario yet so I haven't read to much of the thread, but wanted to ask you guys:

What setting are you all using for "opportunities"? I turned them off right away because they seemed to make the game too easy for the first mission, but I'm having trouble getting anywhere with the Paris mission (so far I have an invite to the auction in the VIP area but can't figure out where to go from there). How bad is the "minimal" opportunity setting? Does it still suck all the creativity out of the game?

No. Minimal is a good balance that errs on the side of still requiring you to figure out the important details. There are a lot of little conversations that take place around the level, but the "Opportunity Revealing" popup on the minimal setting lets you know that these particular conversations should be followed up on without holding your hand through the entire process. You can also look through the Opportunity/Intel sections in the game menu to give you additional information that can help you figure things out naturally.

That being said, it's nice that there's still the option to "cheat" when needed. There was one challenge/opportunity that I was spending way too much time on, so I decided to give myself a hint by turning on Full tracking to point me in the right direction. One head-slap later, I turned it back to minimal and went from there.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about opportunities ruining the game for you. They're there to help you have fun, not take the fun away from you.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The thing about opportunities is you don't have to track them if you don't want to - they'll still be there and you can hit all the triggers for them, but you won't have some really obvious waypoint showing you exactly what to do for the next step. Even on "full" you won't get waypoints unless you explicitly hit F1 when you get the notification.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also there are so many opportunities that I keep finding new ones, even though I left it on whatever the default setting was.

canadianclassic
Nov 3, 2004

Great, thanks! I'll probably give minimal a shot.

I really like the figure-it-out-for-yourself aspect of hitman games but I sometimes spend wayyy too long wandering around with no idea what to do next and give up on the level. I've wasted too much time listening to random conversations that go nowhere (although the Paris level is really fun to just wander around).

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

status posted:

My only complaint is that they have mostly been too easy, and the "challenging" ones were really only a matter of precise/broken timing or tedious routing.

Like, for the kitchen knife one they most recently added, on level 4/5 or so they change the bartenders to bodyguards with shotguns, but that adds literally zero challenge to the mission! You can still open the door to the kitchen, lure 2nd dude in with a coin, and safey garrote him there I'm not sure if they also meant to add another condition there or what?

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is that I don't feel like the escalation missions are escalating enough, but I'm not exactly sure on what they could do to fix that. I guess it would be nice if they used them as an opportunity to tell more of the story/additional plausible stories, I really liked the way the conversations all pieced together across the discoveries.

I also wish there were more things to unlock. I've completely beaten every escalation, and have Paris Mastery lvl 20. This game is goddamn fantastic and I demand more content!!!!!!!!

Do we know anything about maximum potential level size? I'd be overwhelmed with something ~4x the size of Paris, but in a really, really good way.

Is there a best/official place to report bugs? I've got a decently long list of things I wouldn't mind reporting if I knew the effort wouldn't go unseen

edit: benchmark chat - 2600k & Fury (~14k 3DSMark) generally staying above 75fps @ 1080p ultra in dx12 while streaming on twitch. I normally play at 1440p but it crashes too often to be worth dealing with

New Zealand can eat me fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Apr 4, 2016

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
I like to make my own challenges while I wait for the next map later in the month, one I just did was seeing how many people I could kill with the Fire Axe before I get busted, I only hope the later maps have even more ways to cause mayhem and carnage.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
speaking of the kitchen knife mission, how do you deal with the woman? I ended up mugging her and then throwing the knife when he was standing around making GBS threads himself. In typical hitman fashion, the guy screaming out HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING PUT HER DOWN noNO*thunk* doesn't draw the attention of the shotty bartender on the other side of the door

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

When she walks away you can stab him and hide the body without her noticing. Wait for the other guy to pass by or he'll ruin your plans.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Jeoh posted:

When she walks away you can stab him and hide the body without her noticing. Wait for the other guy to pass by or he'll ruin your plans.

If you go really fast, you can grab the knife on the table in front of the dude and switch back to the coin before they get alerted, then wait for her to start walking across the room. You have enough time to knife him and drag the body into the closet AND catch the other dude with the fiber wire as he's coming through. The waitress will see it, but it takes a while for word to get around. Ended up finishing it in like a minute twenty, starting as the AV tech.

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

pnutz posted:

speaking of the kitchen knife mission, how do you deal with the woman? I ended up mugging her and then throwing the knife when he was standing around making GBS threads himself. In typical hitman fashion, the guy screaming out HEY WHAT ARE YOU DOING PUT HER DOWN noNO*thunk* doesn't draw the attention of the shotty bartender on the other side of the door

I started at the 2nd floor with the AV geeks. As soon the map starts I sprint downstairs and go in the door where you're parallel to the two kitchen workers. Immediately crouch and throw a coin into the back right corner near the closet where you can hide the dude, and he'll go look for it. As soon as he starts walking, the other one will move to a different station where she's facing away from you, so you can freely throw the knife into his head and hide him before she turns around.

As for the other dude you have to kill, I just garrote him immediately upon him exiting the kitchen. You can wait until he walks across the room and sneak up on him, but then you have to worry about the models exiting the runway seeing you stash the body. The waiter/guard with shotgun will never hear you or turn around, so just ignore him.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

status posted:

I started at the 2nd floor with the AV geeks. As soon the map starts I sprint downstairs and go in the door where you're parallel to the two kitchen workers. Immediately crouch and throw a coin into the back right corner near the closet where you can hide the dude, and he'll go look for it. As soon as he starts walking, the other one will move to a different station where she's facing away from you, so you can freely throw the knife into his head and hide him before she turns around.

As for the other dude you have to kill, I just garrote him immediately upon him exiting the kitchen. You can wait until he walks across the room and sneak up on him, but then you have to worry about the models exiting the runway seeing you stash the body. The waiter/guard with shotgun will never hear you or turn around, so just ignore him.

I kept having that other waitress notice me for some reason when I was trying it. I didn't have the AV start unlocked at the start though, so I had to spawn in as a stylist and mug that dude in the room with the swords and poo poo

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015
in unrelated news, I did that escalation mission that requires you to off that dude with the auction staff uniform on 3rd floor. Starting as AV is good until the guards see through your disguise you and you have to hit space immediately to avoid getting arrested.

Or in my case, decide to play shenanigans hitman shooting random people facing the wrong way everywhere, using unsilenced guns as a distraction :getin:

Miguel Prado
Nov 5, 2008

Don't worry, like they say " It's all good! "

Is there any way to turn on slow motion? I used to love turning it on in the old ones, watching everyone react to me pulling out a pistol and the chaos that follows.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I miss the mechanic from Blood Money where getting a headshot can restore you to life if you nail one during a "fatal wound" slowdown.

pnutz
Jan 5, 2015

Snak posted:

I miss the mechanic from Blood Money where getting a headshot can restore you to life if you nail one during a "fatal wound" slowdown.

it was 3, which made me feel a little bad when there were only 2 guards and a bystander in range

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.
Welp this game is dead LOL. Gaming community moves too fast to care about a little update each month.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---
or, y'know, this game's thread will arise from it's grave when the actual update is released each month.

Anyone got any cool videos of hitmanning to show off? I'll watch 'em all!

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
I had a successful killing spree playthrough on the boat level recently and I ran into one of the guests chanting to himself, "It's only a computer game, its only a computer game."

I didn't think I would but I've actually grown to like this game's writing.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Welp this game is dead LOL. Gaming community moves too fast to care about a little update each month.

I like that they thought an online community would build around a single player game.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Wow, the steamspy stats for this are pretty brutal. 153k owners vs Absolution's 2.8m. But the really crazy thing is that about as many people have played Absolution in the past 2 weeks as Hitman 2016.

I guess the super charitable interpretation is that the new game revived interest in Absolution to some extent?

EDIT: There actually was a big spike in Absolution players right before Hitman came out, it's almost returned to the baseline by now though.

Sindai fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 12, 2016

dc3k
Feb 18, 2003

what.

Sindai posted:

Wow, the steamspy stats for this are pretty brutal. 153k owners vs Absolution's 2.8m. But the really crazy thing is that about as many people have played Absolution in the past 2 weeks as Hitman 2016.

I guess the super charitable interpretation is that the new game revived interest in Absolution to some extent?

EDIT: There actually was a big spike in Absolution players right before Hitman came out, it's almost returned to the baseline by now though.

This episodic bullshit really hurt them, but I can't help but wonder what Absolution's numbers were at a similar point after release?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Absolution has also had some really serious sales. I bought it a month after release for like ~20 bucks. If you look at steamdb it's gone for less than 5 bucks every month or so for a few years.