Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Omi-Polari posted:

Other ships in the fleet are

GBS Internet Warlord
GBS They're hosed. The End
GBS Desktop Commander
GBS You May Have Seen This In My Recent Blog
GBS Extinction Level Event

gbs two weeks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

GBS Are We There Yet, Derek

hanales
Nov 3, 2013
Never mind I misheard.

Here's an image instead when Jared is behind the controls.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Omi-Polari posted:

GBS Internet Warlord
GBS Desktop Commander
oh it's like those culture books that goons can't shut up about

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Ok I cracked the code.

What happened is Chris or someone with admin privileges to all their servers, clicked on a malware link and it reiterated through every file and every share encrypting them with an RSA that ransomed their files for a large bitcoins sum.
Rather than pay the thief they thought they would be smart and decrypt it themselves (possibly why Erin had to fly back to the States to knock some sense into Chris?).
Now it is too late, and the ship has sailed. And when they turned on the restore from backups, it of course failed. Since nothing is done right at their workplace.

So they had to go scramble to find the latest working backup which is really freaking old, and not even from the PU but from Sq42 (possibly why Erin had to fly back to the States to hand it physically o Chris?) so of course it has the old script stuck in it.
And explains why the latest version is even more broken than the last.

You heard it here first.

Two weeks.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
The Sperg Bullship

Very fancy looking but most of its features end up being in the way of gameplay

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Holy poo poo I love this loving thread. You guys are on fire tonight.

I just settled in for a six hour shift of tedious nothingness, I'm gonna have to fire up the jpeg generator and put Ryan to work.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Woot - new thread title!

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Apocadall posted:

How about you go gently caress yourself. The only thing bigger than Lesnick is your loving ego.

Seriously? THAT'S what you've got? Weak, weak, weak.

ideate
Aug 20, 2002

Lladre posted:

What happened is Chris or someone with admin privileges to all their servers, clicked on a malware link and it reiterated through every file and every share encrypting them with an RSA that ransomed their files for a large bitcoins sum.

Derek Smart's Cryptolocker 3000

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

D1E posted:

Woot - new thread title!

Aww yiss

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Mods, please capitalize Cost and Galaxy

tia

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Idea for Solar Plebeian:

An actual autism chariot pulled by horses

Instead of horses you could have the chariot pulled by Dustin Hoffman's from rainman.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

I wonder what posters Derek is investigating as CIG moles.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

AP posted:

Derek did actually mention this a few times very recently, it's very unusual that :lesnick: slipped up and confirmed something Derek Smart said so recently when he could have avoided it.

As per the melting/token debacle, can I laugh?

You avoid these sorts of dilemmas with a plan/roadmap before you start. You shoot from the hip all the time, sometimes you end up with a bullet in your foot.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D1E posted:

God help the mod who probates the Internet Warlord.

Seriously. LET HIM loving FINISH (the thread).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

lol wat

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

Omi-Polari posted:

GBS Internet Warlord
GBS Desktop Commander

GBS Cattlebruiser 3000
GBS That's Him In The Spaceship

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Requesting that someone create a picture of what the goon mothership would look like. I want to spam it to a friend who refuses to get a refund or even cancel his subscription.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well points to that guy for guessing the Wurzels. For the CIG intern and Reddit archivers, it's a chipmunk New Order parody of Bill Bailey's Kraftwerk parody of the Wurzel's parody of Melanie's I've got a brand new pair of roller-skates. Because goons demand fractal lulz :pgabz:

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

HexDog posted:

Requesting that someone create a picture of what the goon mothership would look like. I want to spam it to a friend who refuses to get a refund or even cancel his subscription.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I can't believe the incredible arrogance on Chris Roberts' part. This guy hasn't made a successful game in over a decade, and has a list of failures under his belt significant enough to put his net contributions to gaming deep into the red. Derek has harped on Sandi's lack of respect for people who've made their livings working in gaming, but she's nothing compared to Chris. Every game that has been made by modest, skilled, hard-working developers to push the genre forward is being met by Chris's absolute contempt. Yeah, ok so Witcher 3 was OK, he guesses, but that's just because HE hasn't tried yet, that's all. Yeah I'm sure the Skyrim developers made a game and all, but what till they see what he does. MAYBE Rockstar can match him, if they're lucky. Maybe.

What a miserable piece of poo poo this man is. He has absolutely no pedigree to back up the kinds of claims he's making, and frankly, it's disrespectful and insulting to the entire community. I can't think of a single instance where Derek talked like Chris does (aside from against Star Citizen, which he's right about), but Derek gets the lion's share of poo poo. Meanwhile Chris gets a free pass and a pat on the back from the cultists.

I'm willing to give Peter Molyneux, John Romero, gently caress even George Lucas a total free pass at this point on the mistakes they've made. You guys can all go free, and in my book, you've wiped the slate clean. Chris Roberts is the one I want to see go down - as hard and as spectacularly as possible. Sneering openly at people who are his superiors in every conceivable way, while pissing away over $100 million and failing at every turn, even at things I didn't think it was possible to fail at, is not forgivable.

Choke hard on that E.L.E. dick, Chris.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
lmao, the new thread title

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
https://giant.gfycat.com/ThickLimitedBlueandgoldmackaw.webm

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Sperg Ship:

His Chairmans Ship Cutscene

HCS Cutscene won fame during the battle of Funding by leading an action against a numerically superior number of enemy forces that had come to the system in search of a rare and precious metal known as G4m-PLY. When the enemy couldn't find any G4m-PLY in system and threatened to raze every Sperg settlement, Cutscene pressed the advance and kept them busy until Task Force Marketing showed up to help subdue them.

In those five hours that Cutscene held the line alone, she saved countless Sperg lives.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

Omi-Polari posted:

GBS Internet Warlord
GBS Desktop Commander

Canon forever.

Simperial Pain Ships have fun names too. For example:

SPS Boweltwisting Shitbrick
SPS Eternal Nutscrape
SPS Screams of the Salted Skinless Beast
SPS Fuckminster Ballcrush Express
SPS Chaotic Neutral Landerig
SPS Two Girls One Chainsaw
SPS Sing a Song of Sodomy
SPS Really Tiny Papercut
SPS Flesh and Blood and also Wax
SPS Bones Don't Bend Like That

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

runsamok posted:

I would like to lodge a complaint about nobody commenting on my cattes or recipes.

I didn't, because I didn't want to admit anything could be as cool as Maine Coon Cattes. (My little buddy is part Maine Coon.)

Happy Sisyphus
Nov 13, 2013

You take the blue paarp - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the red paarp - you stay in pre-alpha, and I show you how deep the sperg wallet goes.

lol

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

LANDING SUCCESFL

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

D1E posted:

Just throwing this out there: have you considered a partnership with Doritos or Mountain Dew or Mad Katz?

You haven't really "arrived" in game development until you get your own joystick or endorsement ship skins.

But then he's got to deal with people like L3th4lity (or whatever the blistering green gently caress his name is) and such.

Chickenfrogman
Sep 16, 2011

by exmarx
Lethality starting to melt down pretty hard on Reddit when even Citizens shat on him.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I dunno man there's probably been a lot of Puzzle and Dragons eggs sold today too :shrug:

I know you are right and obviously they have been afloat for 4 years but that loving chart turns me into :rant:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Wafflz posted:

I wonder what posters Derek is investigating as CIG moles.

hey derek i am not a cig mole

i am also not a warrant canary

or *am* i??? dun dun dunnnnnnn

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Only 100 pages to 2942!

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist

EightAce posted:

Its beyond all that now though, this whole thing is simply an industry wide joke , the punchline will not be so amusing . There are no more dates I can give you and I will not give you any more info other than to point out, weeks ago when I said just how bad this interactive movie is has to be seen to be believed . Well now you have seen a very old iteration of the script ....I need say no more.

Godspeed, developer ghost. We never deserved you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I am a CIG mole. I'm here to undermine the integrity of your Peter Grabriets(?) videos using internet spying.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

moveable shape posted:

I know you are right and obviously they have been afloat for 4 years but that loving chart turns me into :rant:
i know it's like just give me that money if you're just gonna waste it

Jack the Lad
Jan 20, 2009

Feed the Pubs

Jumping forward in time from page 2095 on a buddy's advice to volunteer my services for any acting/recording efforts we make with this script.

Wrecked Angle
May 12, 2012

"JURASSIC PARK!"

moveable shape posted:

Toops did you watch CRobberts on Wednesday? This slightly satisfied my blue ELE balls

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfQYKW7E-w

He jabbers endlessly about loving nonsense details but keeps revealing the fact that EVERYTHING they've built up to this point is being shitcanned and redone. I hear this as: all work to date on the engine object/entity system, net code, physics it is all 100% unusable garbage. Listening to that made my jaw drop, they got loving nothing after all this time.

You're an actual coder so what is your take on this? If what CR is saying is they've been rebuilding 'the new poo poo' for about a year wont 100% of the level design / art work done to this point need major rework? How they sweet gently caress are they shipping SQ42 in the next 18 months?

Does anyone know if this RtV got transcribed? Because I'm starting to think my brain just can't understand mushmouth's dialect or something.

I've just tried listening to the same bit about patching/build revisions 3 times and I still can't make sense of it. Maybe someone else can confirm but is he really implying that up until this point they haven't had version control on code or assets? And why does he seem to confuse introducing a patcher for the client with compiling/building the program?

Like, I'll genuinely admit that IANAGD but to me all this sounds either really confused or batshit crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

What the gently caress does someone do with reddit gold? Is it like bitcoin? Is there a way that I can give it to you, as it's your video.

I just had to share it in the brown sea :)

• Locked thread