Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

FrankieGoes posted:

I responded to a post made by someone that doesn't know what KSP is. I feel soiled.

This is indeed a dark day for all of Star Citizen thread. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

oh she's just a leaver. a real toxic dink

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

FrankieGoes posted:

the turbo-whales

I don't like the idea that tracker could be real life, but God drat I like the phrase 'Turbowhale' makes me think of a Judas Priest song....

ALL...

WHALES....

ALL WHALES SPENDING

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

The only problem is that they should've restarted months/years ago

They have. The 64-bit change in 2015 was a rewrite where they also recoded the entire level loading system to introduce stream-loading to CryEngine. They did the same thing just on the network side in 2013-2014 (rewrote the MP code in CryEngine to make AC 'work').

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

The secret is on the fourth wall.

That is all.

Hmmm... the fourth wall...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall

Something to do with the videos CIG keep making?

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

My guess about CIG's funding is that they are currently laundering $50k per day for the Swedish Mafia.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Loiosh posted:

They have. The 64-bit change in 2015 was a rewrite where they also recoded the entire level loading system to introduce stream-loading to CryEngine. They did the same thing just on the network side in 2013-2014 (rewrote the MP code in CryEngine to make AC 'work').

lol, are you sure, Croberts mentioned in wednesday's stream it takes 5mb of network data to spawn a Retaliator

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Chalks posted:

I'm actually planning on buying an RSI keyboard, it'll fit in well next to my tinnitus headphones and eyestrain monitor.

don't forget a Grapes™ Gaming Chair

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

Loiosh posted:

I was under the impression that it's still not true 64 bit? Has this changed?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

FrankieGoes posted:

The problem being that they've already spent 4.5 3 1.5 years and probably 90+ million dollars getting to where they are now, soooo...

poo poo happens. We all know CIG is incompetent.

They either re-write it, or there is no game, ever.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Ponzi posted:

Hmmm... the fourth wall...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fourth_wall

Something to do with the videos CIG keep making?

he's talking about encryption I think.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Tippis posted:

Kerbal Space Program, you fun-hating philistine. :colbert:

FrankieGoes posted:

I responded to a post made by someone that doesn't know what KSP is. I feel soiled.

I've honestly never played a space game in my life, none of the ones mentioned in these threads. I do game a lot, but I find sims quite boring.

I actually came here via the schadenfreude thread many months ago. My first post was a sauce question. Then I watched an RTV and they were literally showing a JPEG on a computer screen that they were going to sell and I laughed harder than I ever had before. So I'm here to the bitter end.

That's my Star Citizen story. I'm here to the end. :pgabz: also I bought this emote to get you guys to like me out of my love for this thread

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

One thing I don't understand is how is Chris Roberts able to get away with appearing high as poo poo on camera when he talks about his game.

In the videos many times his eyes are bloodshot as poo poo and he can't even get out a coherent sentence.

Anyone with any experience with drugs knows absolutely he is high or coming down from a bender.

Even his wife Sandi when she wears sunglasses inside to cover her eyes, it's just so obvious.

I've never heard any shitizens wondering why he's high and doing drugs on company time when he should be actually making a game.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

This week has been good

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

hanales posted:

I've honestly never played a space game in my life, none of the ones mentioned in these threads. I do game a lot, but I find sims quite boring.

I actually came here via the schadenfreude thread many months ago. My first post was a sauce question. Then I watched an RTV and they were literally showing a JPEG on a computer screen that they were going to sell and I laughed harder than I ever had before. So I'm here to the bitter end.

That's my Star Citizen story. I'm here to the end. :pgabz: also I bought this emote to get you guys to like me out of my love for this thread

I also suspect you of buying me my avatar :shobon:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

HexDog posted:

I was under the impression that it's still not true 64 bit? Has this changed?

The 64bitness of their rewrite was in question from the very start, so whether it has changed or not depends on what you think the previous state was and what state you think it's in now.

Also, it's kind of fun to look back at that first rewrite and compare it to the madness that has ensued. If I recall correctly, it was the first major thing that made people sit up and think that maybe there was something rotten in the state of Chrismark (again), and that it looked like a worrying relapse into his old behaviour of not planning ahead and rewriting things at the drop of a hat…

It was an innocent time, really. :v:

hanales posted:

Oh. Well, ok then.
KSP is definitely a game where you need to like space as a genre, and preferably a strong preference for sandbox tinkering/engineering on top of that. If you do, though, it can easily be one of those games where, if you play it with your pants on, it's probably more fun than you're legally allowed to have per the old saying.

Tippis fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 1, 2016

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Daztek posted:

I also suspect you of buying me my avatar :shobon:

I did! I'm a fan! I have nothing creative to offer of my own so I reward others who do! :pgabz:

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal
If CIG had all the money people spent to change Eonwe's avatar over this thread, they'd be solvent for another quarter.

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

fuctifino posted:

My guess about CIG's funding is that they are currently laundering $50k per day for the Swedish Mafia.

This is so much more plausible than this money being from gamers. Or they have set up some fuckery which churns the business owners money into backer accounts/ships in a loop without anything money actually changing hands.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Didn't take very long did it. Two months.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Yall need a hug from your mommies ASAP

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

It's normal turnover people. There's nothing toxic or off putting about CIG. It's totally normal to acquire your dream job in your dream industry and then rapidly later say "gently caress that poo poo, never again."

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Guys I talked to Derek and he revealed the secret to me. I promised him this time I wouldn't gently caress it up, so here you go:

0o2qbl584ub2gww82xfxiv5ztqwk92n8ahncbbnk32xul8y7pdx31dcagjps92om...

Is it a doozy?

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

cocaine dad show posted:

This week has been good

@Dlg_SC_ac_bludgeon_generic_response_yes_0300

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

hanales posted:

I'm not even a gamer. I came over here from the bitcoin thread ages ago, and lurked for a long time before making my first post, relishing in the schadenfreude.

There are a lot of people in this thread who are the same, so if there are any non-gaming lurkers, don't be afraid to :justpost: :yarg:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

hardycore posted:

It has a certain steinbeckian poignancy to it.

Ryan Archer account spotted.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Literally Kermit posted:

Canon forever.

Simperial Pain Ships have fun names too. For example:

SPS Boweltwisting Shitbrick
SPS Eternal Nutscrape
SPS Screams of the Salted Skinless Beast
SPS Fuckminster Ballcrush Express
SPS Chaotic Neutral Landerig
SPS Two Girls One Chainsaw
SPS Sing a Song of Sodomy
SPS Really Tiny Papercut
SPS Flesh and Blood and also Wax
SPS Bones Don't Bend Like That

You forgot:

SPS Worst kind of electricity
SPS The Pain is tripling every Second
SPS Liquified Bones
SPS Stimperor Prime Pain
SPS Civil Meating

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

So far this thread has made me buy ED + hotas and a video editing program, more than I spent on SC :v:

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

D_Smart posted:

The secret is on the fourth wall.

That is all.

what

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

hanales posted:

It appears they are playing something called "Who ya crappin'" at the moment. Tried to listen online to get a feel before I called. You sure it's these guys?

Your listening to a podcast. Who You Crappin was yesterday.

That said, they do that segment every Thursday at 5:00, and the folks at CIG have produced plenty of material that'd fit in just fine (even if it's unrelated to sports)

EDIT: I'm serious about non-Sports related call-outs being welcome. Their best crap was directed at someone getting Bonanza trivia wrong.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Apr 1, 2016

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

At last the physics work.

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

fuctifino posted:

It doesn't come up very often, but my favorite subplot in this whole thing is the potential of Mafia involvement.

Swedish Mafia involvement.

Like the whole project has this rip-off generic brand quality to everything anyway, so instead of being classic with Italian mobsters or modern with the Russians, no, we are gonna CIG the gently caress out of our shady criminal ties and get the Swedes up in here.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Can someone refresh my memory on why they had to re-rig 3,000 animations around this time last year?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Daztek posted:

lol, are you sure, Croberts mentioned in wednesday's stream it takes 5mb of network data to spawn a Retaliator

I'm sure. Everyone who has had to work in CryEngine has had to rewrite the network stack if you're doing anything beyond the simple FPS it supports. MW:LL went through the same thing, the core network stack in CryEngine is not well designed.

The 5MB thing is pretty funny. It's one of those issues that you go, 'woh' on caused by the systemic side of your project doing something you didn't anticipate. For those curious about how that poo happened, their object spawn code loads each element serialized. This isn't a problem when your objects are simple, a player has the player object, the layers of their outfit and weapons. When you have objects that have hundreds, or thousands of components as in the case here, you get this huge debt of data. (Ship core, each breakable element of the ship, the state of all elements, each weapon on the ship, the state of all weapons, then all the ship modules/components, and their states). All of this is serialized.

Oops

Edit: Their fix is pretty simple and will involve having object container classes that the network stack can call. So instead of serializing every element, it will spawn the standard object, then include the delta. In bullshitcode: spawn standard ship, left wing inner dmg state 2, weapon_point 5 destroyed, thruster_wing 3 destroyed, etc.

Loiosh fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 1, 2016

moveable shape
Oct 18, 2015

Toops posted:

poo poo happens. We all know CIG is incompetent.

They either re-write it, or there is no game, ever.

They will not survive the rewrite, that's the catch. You are right their current product is not viable and remaking is their only chance but I don't believe they have the human or financial resources to make it. Using my investor/business manager brain I see their technology/systems problems are a like a messy broom closet in a building which is engulfed in flames and surrounded by angry starving peasants with pitchforks

Think of how much brain drain has happened there and how many senior positions are empty, all the guys with a loving clue are burnt out to a crisp. This is a done deal without a miracle bailout , which is still possible really

Sperglord
Feb 6, 2016
I can't imagine what the makers of GTA-5 / Witcher 3 / Mass Effect think about Chris Roberts latest interview. Here, a man who has squandered a hundred million in mocap and cocaine is saying that developers who have released something might, one day, measure up to CIG. The sheer brazenness of CIG is breathtaking and must annoy someone on those development teams.

Remember someone saying that Chris thinks he is well respected and successful? Maybe we're seeing that delusion play out on camera.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

moveable shape posted:

They will not survive the rewrite, that's the catch. You are right their current product is not viable and remaking is their only chance but I don't believe they have the human or financial resources to make it. Using my investor/business manager brain I see their technology/systems problems are a like a messy broom closet in a building which is engulfed in flames and surrounded by angry starving peasants with pitchforks

Think of how much brain drain has happened there and how many senior positions are empty, all the guys with a loving clue are burnt out to a crisp. This is a done deal without a miracle bailout , which is still possible really

They even have like a dozen cryengine devs, so switching engines is probably not a solution either

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Can someone refresh my memory on why they had to re-rig 3,000 animations around this time last year?
Probably because taking mocap data and turning it into something a videogame can use is pain in the rear end at the best of times and CIG is CIG?

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kimsemus posted:

If CIG had all the money people spent to change Eonwe's avatar over this thread, they'd be solvent for another quarter.

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimsemus
Dec 4, 2013

by Reene
Toilet Rascal

Daztek posted:

They even have like a dozen cryengine devs, so switching engines is probably not a solution either

From day one, way back in 2012, I was wondering why they were going with CryEngine, other than Crobert's lashing the game to the iron cross of fidelity over all else.

This was at a time when SOE was polishing off the PS2 engine because they had come to terms with the reality that to support a MMO with demanding netcode and a lot of stuff everywhere well, you needed to do it in a custom enviroment.

Now it's 2016, you can't walk a decision like this back. The Titanic is already sailing toward's New York, there is no hope in fixing a design flaw that should have been caught during construction.

• Locked thread