Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Atreiden posted:

Derek Smart is a lot like Chris Roberts, he talks a lot but never delivers. Oh and they both try to make space games I guess

Derek Smart is literally the perfect nemesis for Chris Roberts.

e: cat snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

MilesK posted:

What's your opinion on SQ42's script? Are you excited for another Chris Roberts adventure?

Should SC42 ever come out, I'll look into it. First... it would have to come out. I tend to try to avoid intentional spoilers, so I have not looked into it. Also, EightAce said it was an older script, so there's no point for me to read a script. The only time I ever wanted to was for Aliens 4.

What a disappointment.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

If I had bailed I wouldn't put anything on twitter until I'd secured and then started on a new job. The only reason to say you left publicly is to make CIG look bad, as that's the only result and why would you want the grief? Currently no evidence doesn't mean much, if nothing slips out for a week that's different, as people talk no matter what.

Yeah but there has been plenty of leavers that changed their linkedin day-of. Or posted about it.

With the amount of god drat hype coming down out the pie hole, I expected SOMETHING.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Chalks posted:

Yes, that "important callouts" section sure does have two bullet points of information in it rather than a single sentence inexplicably split over two bullet points by someone who doesn't know what the gently caress they're doing.

Thank god they fixed the VFG hangar this patch even though nobody can actually load into the VFG hangar thanks to the R&Y hangar bug.

For fucks' sake why not fix the actual blockers first, dipshits?

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

D1E posted:

E.L.E. Is currently in progress.

Which apparently means Star Citizen is going to fail so hard it will doom the entire human race as well.

Believe it when I see it.

*taps foot*

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Toops posted:

Yeah but there has been plenty of leavers that changed their linkedin day-of. Or posted about it.

With the amount of god drat hype coming down out the pie hole, I expected SOMETHING.

The Star Citizen experience

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Toops posted:

Yeah no argument there. Being pissed and then updating linkedin the same day would very likely be seen as a hostile act though, depends how pissed you are I expect. Also maybe wait till the last cheque clears? I dunno how it works in the US, could they delay payment for leavers?

AP fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Apr 1, 2016

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe

Toops posted:

This is really good.

I remember the quote, that a bank said something along the lines of "Fast-track chargebacks, issues detected with vendor"

Scruffpuff posted:

Because if only a few people know, and Derek says specifically what it is, they now have a very small number of people one of whom they know for a fact is a mole.

As it stands, Derek has been predicting doom for so long, and with such generic terms, and CIG has been loving up so constantly, that even if they suspected that Derek knew something specific, there's no way to pin down what that is with enough certainty to accuse Colonel Mustard of using the candlestick in the conservatory.

Maybe it's a combination of VISA and a Federal agency?

ie:
VISA has also contacted the Feds regarding CIG, and are currently expediting chargebacks before the accounts get frozen. Derek mentioned forces too big for him to gently caress about, which wouldn't be VISA, but the Feds.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
Maybe there's a real asteroid coming and only Derek knows.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

The game is set to load you into a certain map depending on what map you have selected on our website except somehow that's bugged and we couldn't bother fixing it for the ~4 bulletpoint hotfix patch

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

Realtalk: Are there any games that you can think of that looked like janky trash and had a checkered development that ended up being good?

Halo is one I remember. Destiny was one that burned pretty bad before it managed to scrap something together at the end (though it took a year to make happen). STO, WarFrame and Marvel Heroes all had terrible products at launch that got much better.

I think the only equivalent here would be STO, which actually switched developers mid-production because of how bad it was. A better thing would be, which games were janky trash with checkered development and failed at launch. And in that case, you can point right at examples like APB and Champions Online.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

April fools guys! There are no leavers and Star Citizen is actually going to come out and be a really great game! Lol really had you going for a while there! But no really it's going to be fine.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

I kind of feel like I'm in a religion and the supreme pastor (or whatever) announced that we were all going to ascend directly to heaven and the world would end completely on 3/31/2016.

And it's now after midnight on 4/1.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

The Pi dude posted:

"Has anyone seen Ryan? He left without a trace."
:perfect:

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ponzi posted:

Maybe it's a combination of VISA and a Federal agency?

ie:
VISA has also contacted the Feds regarding CIG, and are currently expediting chargebacks before the accounts get frozen. Derek mentioned forces too big for him to gently caress about, which wouldn't be VISA, but the Feds.

I think we got a winner. CIG's accounts are about to be frozen and they'll effectively cease development. Unless they really did move around enough money to their SwissSwedishUK bank accounts.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

AP posted:

Yeah no argument there. Being pissed and then updating linkedin the same day would very likely be seen as a hostile act though, depends how piss you are I expect. Also maybe wait till the last cheque clears? I dunno how it works in the US, could they delay payment for leavers?

Nope that's a federal offense.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Scruffpuff posted:

Because if only a few people know, and Derek says specifically what it is, they now have a very small number of people one of whom they know for a fact is a mole.

As it stands, Derek has been predicting doom for so long, and with such generic terms, and CIG has been loving up so constantly, that even if they suspected that Derek knew something specific, there's no way to pin down what that is with enough certainty to accuse Colonel Mustard of using the candlestick in the conservatory.

But as everyone says. It's a small industry. If the mole isn't Erin himself, they can pretty much give up working in the industry ever again. Because once it's all revealed it won't matter if his/her named was revealed after the ELE or before it. They will be an untrusted person to work with.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Scruffpuff posted:

I can't believe the incredible arrogance on Chris Roberts' part. This guy hasn't made a successful game in over a decade, and has a list of failures under his belt significant enough to put his net contributions to gaming deep into the red. Derek has harped on Sandi's lack of respect for people who've made their livings working in gaming, but she's nothing compared to Chris. Every game that has been made by modest, skilled, hard-working developers to push the genre forward is being met by Chris's absolute contempt. Yeah, ok so Witcher 3 was OK, he guesses, but that's just because HE hasn't tried yet, that's all. Yeah I'm sure the Skyrim developers made a game and all, but what till they see what he does. MAYBE Rockstar can match him, if they're lucky. Maybe.

What a miserable piece of poo poo this man is. He has absolutely no pedigree to back up the kinds of claims he's making, and frankly, it's disrespectful and insulting to the entire community. I can't think of a single instance where Derek talked like Chris does (aside from against Star Citizen, which he's right about), but Derek gets the lion's share of poo poo. Meanwhile Chris gets a free pass and a pat on the back from the cultists.

I'm willing to give Peter Molyneux, John Romero, gently caress even George Lucas a total free pass at this point on the mistakes they've made. You guys can all go free, and in my book, you've wiped the slate clean. Chris Roberts is the one I want to see go down - as hard and as spectacularly as possible. Sneering openly at people who are his superiors in every conceivable way, while pissing away over $100 million and failing at every turn, even at things I didn't think it was possible to fail at, is not forgivable.

Choke hard on that E.L.E. dick, Chris.

:sherman:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Justin Tyme posted:

The game is set to load you into a certain map depending on what map you have selected on our website except somehow that's bugged and we couldn't bother fixing it for the ~4 bulletpoint hotfix patch

The patch note basically reads like a bug report.

"This option doesn't work and people end up going to the wrong place in this situation regardless of what they pick" *adds to feature list*

What the hell are they even doing. Also how many weeks work is this patch for their 200 person team they claim are working on the PU? What sort of bug fix per developer per day are they getting here? 0.02?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Chalks posted:

The patch note basically reads like a bug report.

"This option doesn't work and people end up going to the wrong place in this situation regardless of what they pick" *adds to feature list*

What the hell are they even doing. Also how many weeks work is this patch for their 200 person team they claim are working on the PU? What sort of bug fix per developer per day are they getting here? 0.02?

I wonder how many gb the download is :allears:

Ponzi
Feb 21, 2016

DEPORTED FROM FLAVOR TOWN

ICSA 67 LOSER
Fun Shoe
Maybe the ELE is all about the fancy coffee machine.

It was bugged by the Feds to collect damning evidence while Chris/Sandi/Ben/Ortwin were chatting, as they spend hours trying to figure out how the hell it works, and the installation guy was an undercover agent.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Lladre posted:

But as everyone says. It's a small industry. If the mole isn't Erin himself, they can pretty much give up working in the industry ever again. Because once it's all revealed it won't matter if his/her named was revealed after the ELE or before it. They will be an untrusted person to work with.

If I was one of the CIG "survivors" (or "escapists") I would see that as a sign to change industries forever.

I would happily work construction or be a school teacher or be a licorice maker just so long as I never had to step foot in a video game company building again.

I mean, that's like surviving the concentration camps and deciding to be a cremator.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Viscous Soda posted:

You seriously should give KSP a try, there's a "demo" available which is a old outdated build of the game. It's spergy spaceship building/crashing fun.

I first heard about KSP (or at least first seriously looked into it) on the SC forums years ago when one of the "Space ships can only go as fast as their explosions" idiots was using it to justify his sub-moronic statements. I should check and see if that guy is still posting, because not only does it mean he has the physics understanding of a 6 year old (I knew this), it also means he's really loving terrible at playing KSP (I did not know this).

I'm definitely not a huge sim sperg, or a huge space sperg, but KSP is loving awesome. I think landing Kerbs for the first time on a moon will forever be ingrained in my gaming memory.

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Lladre posted:

Didn't take very long did it. Two months.

Is this legit?I remember when I started lurking this thread there was speculation about her being hunted by investigators and Sandi over leaks.

Edit:quoted wrong post,meant to quote the CIG ruined gaming for me.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

D_Smart posted:

:vince: I loving died.

Is that another prediction. Two weeks. All of it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

I'd say that actually went pretty well.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

I can't fathom how anyone can look at those second rate patch notes for a third rate patch for a fourth rate game alpha made by a fifth rate mushmouth narcissist manchild & be amazed at the progress they're making.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe
This thread is moving far too fast for me to keep up. Have a catte:

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Chalks posted:

Don't worry, it's only two weeks before he pops up here and says "hey guys any day now something huge is going to happen but I can't tell you what it is" then promptly disappears without delivering anything.

Well to be fair, he would disappear because we all wouldn't shut the gently caress up about [current hilarious ongoings] regarding the game and don't deserve his presence so it's all totally our fault.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

I'd say that actually went pretty well.

The physics clearly aren't quite right since it didn't split cleanly in half and start rapidly spinning 15 seconds later.

Ragequit posted:

Well to be fair, he would disappear because we all wouldn't shut the gently caress up about [current hilarious ongoings] regarding the game and don't deserve his presence so it's all totally our fault.

Anyone who actually tries to read this thread rather than clicking "last page" deserves everything they get.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lord Kinbote posted:

Is this legit?I remember when I started lurking this thread there was speculation about her being hunted by investigators and Sandi over leaks.

Edit:quoted wrong post,meant to quote the CIG ruined gaming for me.

It's legit you can just go to her twitter feed and see for yourself. From OMG! to never again in under two months.

Risc1911
Mar 1, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

I get a kick out of the phrase "Star Citizen IP", as has been used in such sentences as "I wonder if a publisher would be interested in the Star Citizen IP."

I have breaking news for cultists: there is no Star Citizen IP. They have a completely broken modified CryEngine, which has no value to anyone, least of all themselves. They have a complete mishmash of ship models and concepts lacking all imagination, and that look like they were cobbled together from completely different games. Any small vestiges of a storyline have Chris Roberts' hands on them, reducing their value to zero. There is no "intellectual property" because there is no intellect. Or property. Anyone in the world who thinks this is a marketable and recognizable set of assets, or that enough has been built to save them time on building a game, deserves to lose their money. Star Citizen is proof that $110 million can indeed buy you absolutely nothing.

:five:

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Galarox posted:

This thread is moving far too fast for me to keep up. Have a catte:

That catte needs a monocle and a top hat.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Chalks posted:

The physics clearly aren't quite right since it didn't split cleanly in half and start rapidly spinning 15 seconds later.

Anyone who actually tries to read this thread rather than clicking "last page" deserves everything they get.

For a true citizen experience you have to set the mass of everything to 0.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Loiosh posted:

Halo is one I remember. Destiny was one that burned pretty bad before it managed to scrap something together at the end (though it took a year to make happen). STO, WarFrame and Marvel Heroes all had terrible products at launch that got much better.

I think the only equivalent here would be STO, which actually switched developers mid-production because of how bad it was. A better thing would be, which games were janky trash with checkered development and failed at launch. And in that case, you can point right at examples like APB and Champions Online.
No, I'm talking pre-release vs release. Like if Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever actually ended up being good. Post-release doesn't matter. Maybe APB, but I don't know much about its development. It was a flop at launch, but it always seemed to look cool.

Halo though? What?

Lord Kinbote
Feb 27, 2016

Lladre posted:

It's legit you can just go to her twitter feed and see for yourself. From OMG! to never again in under two months.

Well,that's says alot,I remember she was saying something along the lines of guys CIG are cool keep believing in the dream,now it's gently caress them.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Ash1138 posted:

No, I'm talking pre-release vs release. Like if Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever actually ended up being good. Post-release doesn't matter. Maybe APB, but I don't know much about its development. It was a flop at launch, but it always seemed to look cool.

Halo though? What?

APB rose from its ashes and is okay now I guess, better than SC at least

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Not my catte, but rather my catte's brother.

He's the one they kept & now gets to live the life of a show cat & stud.

His name is Neville. He's very handsome.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

Justin Tyme posted:

I think we got a winner. CIG's accounts are about to be frozen and they'll effectively cease development. Unless they really did move around enough money to their SwissSwedishUK bank accounts.

I don't think that this is going to necessarily happen. VISA and Mastercard have clear Fraud / Chargeback thresholds for their merchants. I am not that familiar with e-commerce and credit card implementations but IIRC, CIG is using Stripe/Paypal as their payment processor for credit cards.
If I understand it correctly it would be Stripe/Paypal that are facing the chargebacks at VISA and Mastercard and as such responsible for CIG.
So any fallout/pressure would come from VISA/Mastercard to Stripe/Paypal and then from Stripe/Paypal to CIG. Most likely scenario is that the service between Stripe/Paypal and CIG could be terminated. (obviously a huge problem for CIG)

sorla78 fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Apr 2, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Loiosh posted:

I think what EightAce says about basically all of their work being on SC42 is why there's nothing doing on the PU side. The little notes here or there are not showing movement towards a better product, just a lot of minimal bug fixing.

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this:

I've been told that the original pitch (on their website, prior to Kickstarter) was just for SQ42. Just for a single player game, essentially a new Wing Commander. Maybe with coop or some poo poo, definitely no MMO type game. This was well before I "pledged" so I don't know for sure.
Then the KS happened, where Star Citizen (i.e. the PU) was the headliner.

The KS brought in about 2.x million. When it ended they had 6.x total. So even if the above is true, they only garnered about 4 million for SQ42 (alone).

It's pretty obvious that the majority of what people are paying for is the PU. Nobody is buying 1k, let alone 5k, let alone 20+k worth of ships just because they want SQ42 to get made.

Then crobbits spends 15 million or so dollars on mocap and celebrities for the part of the game that noone paid him for. And that's just mocap and talent. How many more millions to make the rest of SQ42? People gave him 4m and what has he spent on SQ42? 30m? More? And no game in sight? Doesn't that make you steamin' mad at dirt? It doesn't make me happy, that's for sure.

• Locked thread