Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

That catte needs a monocle and a top hat.

e: lol page snipe

...with non-added bonus catte

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Galarox posted:

This thread is moving far too fast for me to keep up. Have a catte:

I've always felt that posting a picture of your own cat is one of the spergiest things you can possibly do on the internet.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

FrankieGoes posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong on any of this:

I've been told that the original pitch (on their website, prior to Kickstarter) was just for SQ42. Just for a single player game, essentially a new Wing Commander. Maybe with coop or some poo poo, definitely no MMO type game. This was well before I "pledged" so I don't know for sure.

You're a bit off. I'm a day zero backer & I bought a Hornet that very day. The MMO & private servers are the reason I bought in. I also bought a Cutlass & Freelancer during the Kickstarter campaign.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

Taima posted:

I've always felt that posting a picture of your own cat is one of the spergiest things you can possibly do on the internet.

welcome to the thread

now someone Ryan Archer the drat catte for me pls

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

D_Smart posted:

The secret is on the fourth wall.

That is all.

The E.L.E. was insides us all along.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

MeLKoR posted:

The E.L.E. was insides us all along.

Well I did have Mexican last night

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Taima posted:

What are some of the other spergiest?

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

Galarox posted:

welcome to the thread

now someone Ryan Archer the drat catte for me pls

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

runsamok posted:

Not my catte, but rather my catte's brother.

He's the one they kept & now gets to live the life of a show cat & stud.

His name is Neville. He's very handsome.

look at this cat

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

peter gabriel posted:

Posting in a Star Citizen thread has got to be one of them.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

wet myself laughing

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

look at this cat

That cat is like 4 cats in one. Seems like a good deal.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
There is the need of a thread tracker.
I cannot manage to find time to read every day 20+ pages in order to find salient posts (i would love tough)
What has happened since the again new appearance of seraph?

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

No, I'm talking pre-release vs release. Like if Daikatana or Duke Nukem Forever actually ended up being good. Post-release doesn't matter. Maybe APB, but I don't know much about its development. It was a flop at launch, but it always seemed to look cool.

Halo though? What?

Halo was originally an RTS and shown around to a few magazines at the time. Though not allowed to publish they gave feedback that it was just not looking good. People told them Myth III would be a better idea. The public got to see a build of a third-person action/adventure game in 1999 - http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/4/6107435/halo-video-first-footage-original-reveal but the word from behind the scenes is that the game was immensely buggy and not fun. Eventually they would redirect it to an FPS and history was made.

One thing to remember is the public never heard much about the behind the scenes issue with games until far later, so you're not going to have many examples. Diablo is another one I've mentioned in the past. When Blizzard was showing Diablo 1 around, the press was telling them it was boring and janky as the movement was terrible and they didn't like the turn-based gameplay. Blizzard pushed Condor (Blizzard North) to change it to a real-time game, and despite the many bugs and problems with movement that caused, managed to successfully release it. There's a whole lot of fascinating game history coming out. If you're curious about Blizzard's history, I'd recommend reading Stay Awhile and Listen: http://www.shacknews.com/article/76406/chapter-8-finale-condor-and-blizzard-lock-horns-over-diablo

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Daztek posted:

APB rose from its ashes and is okay now I guess, better than SC at least
But were your pre-release impressions that it was a janky mess that will probably suck? If so then was it actually good at release? My point is that games with a rocky development and lackluster pre-release impressions tend to not rise above that. Basically, they are what we thought they were.

And I don't think that post-release turnarounds should count because lol just lol if you think SQ42 or SC are going to get post-release support.

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

peter gabriel posted:

posting about females
Defending wearing a fedora
Correcting people when it's actually a trilby
Knowing the difference between a trilby and a fedora
Backing star citizen

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

hanales posted:

Is this line of defense?

Serious question I don't know what it is.

No. I can tell because there's colors besides blue.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Mirificus posted:

My alias befits this, being full of potential.

HKS
Jan 31, 2005

Loiosh posted:

Halo was originally an RTS and shown around to a few magazines at the time. Though not allowed to publish they gave feedback that it was just not looking good. People told them Myth III would be a better idea. The public got to see a build of a third-person action/adventure game in 1999 - http://www.polygon.com/2014/9/4/6107435/halo-video-first-footage-original-reveal but the word from behind the scenes is that the game was immensely buggy and not fun. Eventually they would redirect it to an FPS and history was made.

One thing to remember is the public never heard much about the behind the scenes issue with games until far later, so you're not going to have many examples. Diablo is another one I've mentioned in the past. When Blizzard was showing Diablo 1 around, the press was telling them it was boring and janky as the movement was terrible and they didn't like the turn-based gameplay. Blizzard pushed Condor (Blizzard North) to change it to a real-time game, and despite the many bugs and problems with movement that caused, managed to successfully release it. There's a whole lot of fascinating game history coming out. If you're curious about Blizzard's history, I'd recommend reading Stay Awhile and Listen: http://www.shacknews.com/article/76406/chapter-8-finale-condor-and-blizzard-lock-horns-over-diablo

So what you're saying is if Star Citizen comes out and is good, it will have to be a turn-based rts game of some sort.

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

Lime Tonics posted:

That cat is like 4 cats in one. Seems like a good deal.

This is Thor. He's the son of Neville & nephew of both of my Norwegian Forest Cats & looks it.

He's two cats in one!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

HKS posted:

So what you're saying is if Star Citizen comes out and is good, it will have to be a turn-based rts game of some sort.

Star citizen is every game ever made as one game.

Do not doubt croberts for he will save us from the vast wasteland that is pc gaming.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Loiosh posted:

Does it matter though if the first look the public got of Halo was the trailer with dat music? I'm pretty sure I've got video on an old hard drive of the modern military version of Team Fortress 2, but I consider the first teasers in 2009 with what would be the final art style as the public's first impression of TF2.

Though you do bring up a good point about Halo: Bungie actually took criticism to heart and made the change. Meanwhile, CIG reacts criticism with a banhammer and vilification.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

runsamok posted:

This is Thor. He's the son of Neville & nephew of both of my Norwegian Forest Cats & looks it.

He's two cats in one!
What a rich and storied lineage of cats.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Outrun was originally going to be a puzzle game much like Tetris but legend has it on hearing 'Magical Sound Shower' the games creator Yu Suzuki shat his pants and demanded to be sat in a Ferrari doing 'impossible speeds near palm trees'
The rest is history

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

The secret is on the fourth wall.

That is all.

https://twitter.com/ballroom_blitz/status/716040540622430208

wtf is going on with walls today?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Gravitational lensing

2DCAT
Jun 25, 2015

pissssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssssss sssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss ssssss ssssssssssssssssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss

Gravy Boat 2k

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

me right now

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Gravitational lensing

:drat:

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Fried Watermelon posted:

I've never heard any shitizens wondering why he's high and doing drugs on company time when he should be actually making a game.

Tkes one to know one :frogc00l:

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Was the Star Citizen script an April Fools joke or not. Please tell me I can't think for myself.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
good cats

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

Ash1138 posted:

Does it matter though if the first look the public got of Halo was the trailer with dat music? I'm pretty sure I've got video on an old hard drive of the modern military version of Team Fortress 2, but I consider the first teasers in 2009 with what would be the final art style as the public's first impression of TF2.

Though you do bring up a good point about Halo: Bungie actually took criticism to heart and made the change. Meanwhile, CIG reacts criticism with a banhammer and vilification.

We didn't have the access to games that we did then. I wouldn't dispute his point, practically every case of a janky mess in development ends up being a janky mess (or canceled) on release. Batman: Arkham Knight on the PC is a great example of that. Auto Assault, APB, and Age of Conan are all examples of failures that failed hard. One of those was restarted and is okay? so I heard here, though I dunno (APB). Conan was never really fixed and just went to the F2P hell along with its older loser brother The Secret World (Note, TSW was pretty okay at launch)

CIG is just the latest in a long line. They feel like Cryptic right now, a developer who is not able to stick a good release. All of Cryptic's games got fixed by other developers after they were tossed off them.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

MeLKoR posted:

Just living up to my reddit name. :chord:

Sad and predictable indeed. That said, while I said that Lethality would poo poo a break over the script leak, I'm amused that he found out about it from you.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx

Decrepus posted:

Was the Star Citizen script an April Fools joke or not. Please tell me I can't think for myself.

it was not

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Problem is if they fix the game all they will be left with is a poo poo game that doesn't amuse anymore sometimes.
The bugs are the best part by quite a margin.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Imagine being angry enough with eonwe that you spend 50 dollars I mean lmao if you get angry at eonwe on the forums you are doing life wrong, God bless and carry on spending your stupid money he doesn't care about. Eonwe is good and I'm glad of he

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

runsamok posted:

You're a bit off. I'm a day zero backer & I bought a Hornet that very day. The MMO & private servers are the reason I bought in. I also bought a Cutlass & Freelancer during the Kickstarter campaign.

I was just going off what a shitizen told me. I knew that the PU was the big draw for KS but he told me otherwise in the prior to KS money grubbing. I will literally, right now, go back to RSI and tell that shitizen that he is a liar. Again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

cocaine dad show posted:

Imagine being angry enough with eonwe that you spend 50 dollars I mean lmao if you get angry at eonwe on the forums you are doing life wrong, God bless and carry on spending your stupid money he doesn't care about. Eonwe is good and I'm glad of he

Watching the petty fight over his avatar has been one of my favorite things this last week.

• Locked thread