Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
So what is Lucas Hood's real name anyway?
Ace O'Riordan
Dennis Mitchell
Guggenheim McFrankenbutt
Hood Lucas
Norman Krasner
This poll is stupid and undermines the thematic point being made by keeping Lucas Hood's real name a secret.
gaaaaaaaaary
View Results

• Locked thread
DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xdn9cTIYxGg

Have you not been watching this show? Because if not, you are missing the gently caress out. My Season 3 thread has a (hilariously outdated at this point) write-up of what this is and why you should be jumping on board this train, but that trailer above -- while just a bit spoilery -- does a solid job of capturing the feel of this show. It's gritty, no-nonsense pulp that has absolutely no equal anywhere else on TV, and though it was originally planned for five seasons, EP/Co-creator Jonathan Tropper (known for, hilariously, the family dramedy This is Where I Leave You) and his team of writers have burned through story so ruthlessly, they discovered there was absolutely nowhere else to go after what they planned for this season. Rather than come up with some ridiculous, harmful reason to keep the show going past a natural end point, they've decided to drop the mic after eight episodes, leaving us with one of the tightest, rowdiest action-thrillers on TV, presuming they can stick the landing (and there's no reason to believe they won't).

For those of you who know better, here's the trailer they cut back in November, and here's a badass 30-second spot they released a few weeks ago. Please notice Miss Eliza Dushku as Special Agent Veronica Dawson, the latest poor bastard Fed to be pulled into the war zone of Banshee, PA (and presumably onto Lucas Hood's dick). Savor it. Because until the reviews start rolling in next week, that is all the new information we have about all the ways it's going loving wrong over the next eight weeks.

April 1. 10 PM. Bring it.

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Mar 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
RIP Nola

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Cannot loving wait :flashfap:

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I hope these 8 eps are just more of the sedate, quiet meditations on love and friendship we've come to enjoy

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who's willing to bet the series ends on a cliffhanger?

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Rhyno posted:

Cliffhanger that's solved in the three movies that come later

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Sepinwall dishes on what to expect. Short version: Likes it almost as much as ever, but is very wary of the serial killer plotline this year.

Alan Sepinwall posted:

It might seem odd to suggest that any kind of violent story can be too much for a show designed to be too much about everything. But as dark and nasty and psychologically tormented as Banshee has always been, it's also been fun on some level, and it's incredibly hard to have fun playing in this particular sandbox. I want to have faith, given everything the show has done in the past — including making me a convert after I was ambivalent about the first few episodes — but watching [those scenes] made me feel as incredulous as Job did when he first learned that his old thief buddy wanted to pose as a small-town sheriff: Yeah, maybe you can pull this off, but why would you want to even try it?

Sepinwall has a noted allergy to those plots in television stories, though -- he just about says as much up front -- so that's not necessarily a bad omen. Besides, a lot of that poo poo will probably be balanced out by what sounds like Carrie becoming Batman.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

One more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day one more day

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

My buddy is coming to visit me from Arizona this weekend and I promised to take him out on the town as he's never been in Chicago before. A not so small part of me is angry that he's coming the night of Banshee's return. Maybe I can find a bar with a viewing party and act surprised when we get there...

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Rhyno posted:

You mean Hood hanging Kai off a cliff right?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

New bad guy is named "Cliff."

Cart
Sep 28, 2004

They see me rollin...

Guys I am rock hard right now.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
IT'S TIME

TONIGHT: Something Out of the Bible

quote:

Haunted by his inability to locate Job, Lucas returns to Banshee two years later, to track down a serial murderer on the loose.

The opener, naturally, is written by Jonathan Tropper. It, as well as next week's episode, was directed by OC Madsen, best known for last season's "Tribal" aka "Assault on Precinct Banshee."

If you want to kill time, tonight's pre-show is the Ryan Reynolds sci-fi thriller Self/less, rolling at 8 PM ET. Not necessarily saying it'll be time well spent -- I haven't seen it myself -- but it'll still be time spent.

Before I go, just for the record, here are some of the other episode titles this season according to Wikipedia. They're subject to change, but I'm tagging them anyway:
  • #4.2: "The Burden of Beauty"
  • #4.3: "JOB"
  • #4.4: "Innocent Might Be a Bit of a Stretch"
  • #4.5: "A Little Late to Grow a Pair"

DivisionPost fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Apr 1, 2016

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Job :smith:

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Wait what, a loving TIME JUMP :byodood:?!

Oh christ, I hope it's handled naturally. :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So what happened at the end of last season again?

Hood quit, right?

TEAH SYAG
Oct 2, 2009

by Lowtax
Can't wait to see Hood smash Eliza Dushku through a headboard and wall doggie-style in some insane power sex montage.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Aphrodite posted:

So what happened at the end of last season again?

Hood quit, right?

Yeah, Gordon was killed, Job got kidnapped by the people Hood used to work for, and Hood surrendered the badge to Brock -- getting Kai's attention.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

DivisionPost posted:

Yeah, Gordon was killed, Job got kidnapped by the people Hood used to work for, and Hood surrendered the badge to Brock -- getting Kai's attention.

I thought Job was kidnapped by the hardass Colonel's IT henchman? Or by "people Hood used to work for" did you just mean the US military in general

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Pron on VHS posted:

I thought Job was kidnapped by the hardass Colonel's IT henchman? Or by "people Hood used to work for" did you just mean the US military in general

Iirc the guy we saw in Hood's flashbacks, the man who recruited him, was part of the same group the Colonel was, the connection being their rings. Tech Dude just wants to keep Job tied up so he can suck his dick whenever he wants and pick his brain.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I just rewatched the big Hood/Gordon assault and Gordon's condescending look down at Hood after he saves him has to be one of the greatest things in television history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Bf2_p_Az8&t=45s

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Jonathan Tropper was on today's episode of High and Mighty (every Banshee ep. they are labeling as 'Fanshee') and among other things, spelled out a timeline for Hood:

1. Something happened between him and his dad, ended up getting probably forced into military service.
2. Was immediately pegged based on his psych profile as someone for black ops, got recruited.
3. Went on the Job mission, realized got out of that game, Job wiped his identity, started thieving.
4. Jail, out, Banshee.

Tropper also said the 1st 20 minutes or so of the 1st episode are bananas. If you don't like the host (Jon Gabrus) the ep. might be tough to get through because he admits to railroading a lot of conversations but I thought it was a good listen, lots of fun talk about the show and everyone in the room is obviously a huge fan. It sounds like they're going to get a lot of the cast & crew (including Hoon Lee) as the series goes on which is pretty kickass too.

http://headgum.com/episode/episode-36-fanshee-kickoff-episode-w-jonathan-tropper/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
Holy poo poo.

This is brutal in a completely different way.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

welcome back Banshee, goddamn. Firing on all cylinders from the get-go.

Who was the actor that played Hood's former teacher/mentor/trainer that he killed when he didn't have info about Job? I know him from some other show (Boardwalk Empire?) but he's not credited in the ep on imdb.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

What happened between Hood and the one handed guy? I don't remember that episode.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Oh poo poo Mayor Kai.

also therapist Doakes, motherfucker!

was there no after credits scene? :(

edit: are they still doing 6 episodes or did they go back to 10? I thought it was going to be 6 90 min episodes but maybe not

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 2, 2016

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Eight episodes last I heard.

Also yeah who was the one handed dude?

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I don't think the one-handed man has been on the show before so it was kinda weird they framed it with the 'remember me?' question. The closest Hood's gotten to dealing with rednecks was the Moody brothers from S1.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Surprise muthafucka, I'm your therapist!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
If Job is really dead I will go on a Hood styled rampage.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

I don't think the one-handed man has been on the show before so it was kinda weird they framed it with the 'remember me?' question. The closest Hood's gotten to dealing with rednecks was the Moody brothers from S1.

I guess maybe he met them during his 18 month break?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!
Rebecca. :(

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Aphrodite posted:

I guess maybe he met them during his 18 month break?

Yeah must be, and it wouldn't surprise me if we find out he had a hand in the fire that was talked about.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Crusty Nutsack posted:

welcome back Banshee, goddamn. Firing on all cylinders from the get-go.

Who was the actor that played Hood's former teacher/mentor/trainer that he killed when he didn't have info about Job? I know him from some other show (Boardwalk Empire?) but he's not credited in the ep on imdb.

That would be David Harbour. He was the corrupt cop in the Equalizer with Denzel Washington!

http://imdb.com/rg/an_share/name/name/nm1092086/

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

10 Beers posted:

That would be David Harbour. He was the corrupt cop in the Equalizer with Denzel Washington!

Yo The Equalizer was a badass movie with a couple of gnarly Banshee-grade action scenes.

In fact if they can't get Antoine Fuqua back let's just save some money and draft Greg Yaitanes for the sequel.

Crusty Nutsack
Apr 21, 2005

SUCK LASER, COPPERS

10 Beers posted:

Thanks! The show I was thinking of was Newsroom, though I have seen Equalizer too. He has a distinct look and voice to me for some reason.

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

I think I need to see Rebeccas corpse a time or two more, its not seared into my drat retinas yet.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Eldarion'd again!

Qmass posted:

I think I need to see Rebeccas corpse a time or two more, its not seared into my drat retinas yet.

Something tells me that you'll get your wish over the next several episodes.

Iseeyouseemeseeyou
Jan 3, 2011

Soothing Vapors posted:

I just rewatched the big Hood/Gordon assault and Gordon's condescending look down at Hood after he saves him has to be one of the greatest things in television history

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39Bf2_p_Az8&t=45s

Gordon was such a badass, then he had a 1-episode appearance in TWD and died from a gunshot to the arm rofl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.
There are all these natural questions about whether or not Hood's gonna survive this whole thing and how much of a downer that could be, but I get the sense that death would be a blessing for Hood at this point.

• Locked thread