Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Brutakas
Oct 10, 2012

Farewell, marble-dwellers!
Ashes of the Singularity
http://store.steampowered.com/app/228880

Anyone have any first-hand knowledge of this? From poking around the internet it seems to compare favorably to Supreme Commander. Reviews and videos seem positive but I'm still skeptical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Scalding Coffee posted:

Always wanted to play a trucker roguelike.

Hardcore mode for American Truck Sim would own

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

ShadowMar posted:

Players with the token can enter instanced dungeons more times per day
i like this one. they phrase it like there is still a limit, its just higher if you pay.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

The Devil Tesla posted:

I hate april 1st
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQar2k4hAVM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpBUzRH7aMU

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Awesome! posted:

i like this one. they phrase it like there is still a limit, its just higher if you pay.

well of course, how else are they gonna get you to buy another token next month

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Torchlight 2 is perfectly serviceable, chill with the hyperbole.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Torchlight 2 exels for podcasts yes

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Deakul posted:

It's really boring tho and I can't recommend it

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
Why do you want a game to distract you from your podcast or vice versa

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

the best podcast games are euro truck sim 2 and american truck sim.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

corn in the bible posted:

life is short, i must always multitask my lovely entertainment, to maximum consumption thereof.

obviously.

Drunkmessiah
Nov 3, 2012

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you are a smart and cool person who has Lakeview Cabin Collection, episode 6 was just added today on the beta branch. Very loosely based on Alien, this one has you on a space station of degenerate scientists with face-hugging parasites, robots, log entries, beer, ghosts, and all sorts of other weirdness. Steam is being a shithead and breaking my image links or otherwise I would post some.

Thank you for reminding me that this isn't abandoned.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Deakul posted:

Part of the problem is that you're right: it's competent with some good ideas. But overall the game just falls flat with a lot of people after they've spent some time with the gameplay loop, which is bland. ARPGs live and die on their gameplay, and it sucks that a promising game like Torchlight 2 doesn't have fun gameplay

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

QuarkJets posted:

Part of the problem is that you're right: it's competent with some good ideas. But overall the game just falls flat with a lot of people after they've spent some time with the gameplay loop, which is bland. ARPGs live and die on their gameplay, and it sucks that a promising game like Torchlight 2 doesn't have fun gameplay

:agreed: There are just way more interesting ARPGs that one could play. Theres a bunch of actually good ARPGs like Diablo 3, Grim Dawn, and varying levels of better than serviceble arpgs like Van Helsing Directors Cut or Victor Vran or whatever, or hell even Path of Exile is a lot more exciting and free (and a ton of content/fixed a lot of issues that it used to have). TL2 is really bottom of barrel and it wallows in absolute mediocrity--I can't say it's flat out bad for that reason but I could never ever recommend it over the alternatives.

Life is short, why bother playing a mediocre crappy game?

Xaris fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Apr 2, 2016

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Aside from the expansion, it seemed like they patched BG1 Enhanced with a lot of other welcome features. Parts of the UI are different and it generally seems more helpful and useful.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

QuarkJets posted:

I don't know if he's joking because it's April 1 or what but Torchlight 2 is bland, boring garbage and doesn't even live up to its not great predecessor. Diablo 3 is very good and has changed a lot if you haven't played since around release, and a lot of people like Drox Operative if you don't mind the janky graphics

It is not a joke, because torchlight 2 is a good game because

MooCowlian posted:

Torchlight 2 isn't a deep involving ARPG but it's a fun casual game for punching dudes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
So Hyper Light Drifter... I have a like/dislike relationship with this game so far.

Storywise, I like it doesn't shove a wall of text and pretentious stuff in your face, but I'm having a really hard time connecting to it at all--like motivation for anything. So i'm travelling through time or something, theres big old dead titan guys that come alive or are dead??, I keep coughing up blood and getting stalked by shadow things?? I don't need Logan Cunningham narrating everything and everything spelt out, and I liked games like Fez or La Mulana or something where it's minimal but something about this isn't quite clicking for me. Someone might absolutely love the crazy void of alien insanity that is the "story", so to each their own there. But I also disliked E.Y.E. for similar reasons (though it was much better about some of those things).

Now I love the weird alien aesthetics, even though I grew up with them I really dislike pixel graphics, this is actually done pretty well so I can't complain that much, but I think I would like it more if it was a little higher resolution. I'm not a totalbiscuit FPS zealot and I usually don't notice or care, but something about the way this game moves just gives me a slight headache--I don't know if it has to do with the frame-rate or what but I have to stick to playing window mode to minimize it. Combat is pretty drat satisfying though there are some aspects that slow it down a bit here and there. I think I'll still finish it but it's definitely not something I'd love as much as I would have liked.

I acknowledge most of my dislikes are personal preference so I could see how someone might find this like the best game of the year ever for them and totally love ever aspect that I don't like. I think I'd generally recommend it but with some hesitations.

JEBOman
Dec 27, 2009

What do you do while you listen to podcasts?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm playing Torchlight 1 after Victor Vran and it doesn't feel much outdated in comparison. But then I'm playing it by having an entourage of summoned minions with me at all times, which VV doesn't have as an option.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

JEBOman posted:

What do you do while you listen to podcasts?

pay attention to them

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

ShadowMar posted:

Non-token players cannot trade items between players
Non-token players cannot use team (account) storage, and thus cannot move items between their own characters
Non-token players can only list one item on the Auction House and it takes a huge cut of the sale price
Players with the token can stack more buffs
Players with the token have a movement speed advantage
Players with the token can learn two attributes at once
Players with the token gain exp faster

tokens last for 30 days and cost $10

Welp, interest killed.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

pay attention to them
You might be the only person on the internet without ADD

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Xaris posted:

Life is short, why bother playing a mediocre crappy game?

Yeah, don't waste time on one poo poo game, waste your time with two of the twenty first century's most unfulfilling activities ever, at the same time!

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Zigmidge posted:

Yeah, don't waste time on one poo poo game, waste your time with two of the twenty first century's most unfulfilling activities ever, at the same time!
watching LOST and taking bath salts?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Justin_Brett posted:

But then I'm playing it by having an entourage of summoned minions with me at all times, which VV doesn't have as an option.

Neither does Torchlight 2, oddly enough.

Yakiniku Teishoku
Mar 16, 2011

Peace On Egg

Accordion Man posted:

We’re finishing off the March of Adventure

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the writeups this month, I owned the majority of them already but like a true Steam gamer haven't played most & it got me excited for some :3: Also some great recommendations out of the ones I had actually played, and even a couple I hadn't grabbed yet

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008

that sounds a lot better than another lovely worms sequel

I've beta tested for them before. They ignored pretty much any feedback that wasn't bug reports, and then when it came out all the reviews had the same complaints the testers had. It was very frustrating.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

ShadowMar posted:

If you have a dual monitor setup, they're amazing for long LPs as well.

I may have an LP addiction issue send help

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Zombie Samurai posted:

If you are a smart and cool person who has Lakeview Cabin Collection, episode 6 was just added today on the beta branch. Very loosely based on Alien, this one has you on a space station of degenerate scientists with face-hugging parasites, robots, log entries, beer, ghosts, and all sorts of other weirdness. Steam is being a shithead and breaking my image links or otherwise I would post some.

Man, that was such a cluster gently caress and like the others, I don't think I "get" it but I think I love it. So many great unscripted moments where poo poo just goes badly very quickly, or quiet moments where you think you're safe but then you blow yourself up while test-firing a weapon.

I think I'll wait for the final release before playing that level again though. I did what I felt the was the right thing and by all accounts should've gotten a good ending but then I got the bad ending anyways. The ending screen also had weird placeholder sprites next to my surviving characters.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

ShadowMar posted:

Non-token players cannot use team (account) storage, and thus cannot move items between their own characters
Non-token players can only list one item on the Auction House and it takes a huge cut of the sale price

oh. thats dumb.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Yakiniku Teishoku posted:

Hey, just wanted to say thanks for the writeups this month, I owned the majority of them already but like a true Steam gamer haven't played most & it got me excited for some :3: Also some great recommendations out of the ones I had actually played, and even a couple I hadn't grabbed yet

Yeah, I also really enjoyed reading about those. There were some great details I hadn't realized about games I had played before, even. And most of them were ones I wouldn't have touched on if I did my own adventure month.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

ShadowMar posted:

So it's a monthly subscription fee, but totally not dudez.

ShadowMar
Mar 2, 2010

HERE IS A
GRAVEYARD
OF YOU!

Croccers posted:

So it's a monthly subscription fee, but totally not dudez.

i'd rather a game just have a monthly subscription fee because at least they're being honest. this is just "our game is free to play!" except you have to pay a monthly fee to get access to basic online game functions.

grrarg
Feb 14, 2011

Don't lose your head over it.
That list sounds like it could have been taken from that Penny Arcade Hellgate London comic.

Are the Tree of Savior servers still melting? If they can't even handle the people that shelled out $10-50 for early access, how in the world are they going to handle the load when it is truly free to try?

Edit: drat, almost 9 years since Hellgate crashed and burned due to that crazy business model (and janky game)

grrarg fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 2, 2016

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

grrarg posted:

Are the Tree of Savior servers still melting?

Apparently the servers keep going down because of a shitload of bots spamming server megaphones. Nexon quality.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Here's my full opinion on Grim Dawn: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jamfrost/recommended/219990/

It's an overall good experience with a number of frustrations.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

pay attention to them

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

ShadowMar posted:

yea i got all the dlc with it too, glad i did because i'm seriously having a blast with the game.
Is there a story or is just dicking around in the galaxy?
Basically I'm still looking for something that'd scratch the Freelancer itch and my prevous foray (X3) ended up being way too loose and complicated to be fun.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Apr 2, 2016

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

ShadowMar posted:

:agreed:

Also Binding of Isaac for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

ShadowMar posted:

i'd rather a game just have a monthly subscription fee because at least they're being honest. this is just "our game is free to play!" except you have to pay a monthly fee to get access to basic online game functions.
This reminds me how SW:TOR locked running from F2P players.

• Locked thread