Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A 3d graph where both position and sphere sizes are significant - worst idea, or worstest idea?

We need to go deeper. Make sphere opacity a metric as well. And connect them with lines of varying thickness to represent relationships that aren't actually relevant to the topic at hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Absurd Alhazred posted:

A 3d graph where both position and sphere sizes are significant - worst idea, or worstest idea?

"Put on 3d glasses now"

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
"And now if you refer to your scratch and sniff card, you'll find we've also coded each category by scent."

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Mods rename me Bored Youthism

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

So is Dean Ambrose a communist or a fascist?

I mean, he's a blue collar man of the people, but he also beats up his enemies.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Travis343 posted:

Mods rename me Bored Youthism

Someone Still Loves You Bored Youthism

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

I'm pretty sure "Racism" is not a political philosophy.

Also poor little anarchy off in the corner there.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
I like how feminism is one of the most 'lunatic fringe' 'ideologies' among the left, even worse than straight up radicalism and apparently on par with racism.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
That's one hell of a way to represent a standard line chart to people who are afraid of straight lines

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Judge Schnoopy posted:

That's one hell of a way to represent a standard line chart to people who are afraid of straight lines

I dunno, I've always heard the political spectrum described as horseshoe shaped.
Though, not necessarily in a way that equates feminism with racism.

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

popewiles posted:

I dunno, I've always heard the political spectrum described as horseshoe shaped.
Though, not necessarily in a way that equates feminism with racism.

Horseshoe theory is kind of a joke. It decides Modern Capitalist Liberalism is the natural and most free ideology, and that everything else is an aberration toward authoritarianism.

Tiberius Thyben has a new favorite as of 00:34 on Mar 29, 2016

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah I mean that PARTICULAR diagram is stupid because of all the labels just kind of stuck on there arbitrarily without any real regard for what it's supposed to mean, but the actual shape is a pre-existing thing and it's meant to look like that. The theory is that the absolute extreme ends of the political spectrum are closer to each other than they are to the center, as the farther you go the more you trend towards different flavours of dictatorship.

Of course, it's still a dramatic oversimplification of political ideology since it still fundamentally assumes that such a thing as "left - center - right" exists rather than politics being a complex web of hundreds of different issues.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

Cleretic posted:

I like how feminism is one of the most 'lunatic fringe' 'ideologies' among the left, even worse than straight up radicalism and apparently on par with racism.

That was the first thing I noticed as well. Equal rights regardless of sex and gender?!??? Whoa, calm down there, Grand Wizard!

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Yeah I mean that PARTICULAR diagram is stupid because of all the labels just kind of stuck on there arbitrarily without any real regard for what it's supposed to mean, but the actual shape is a pre-existing thing and it's meant to look like that. The theory is that the absolute extreme ends of the political spectrum are closer to each other than they are to the center, as the farther you go the more you trend towards different flavours of dictatorship.

Of course, it's still a dramatic oversimplification of political ideology since it still fundamentally assumes that such a thing as "left - center - right" exists rather than politics being a complex web of hundreds of different issues.

Yeah there's a book by Eric Hoffer called The True Believer which is an examination into how mass movements form. One of the points he touches on is how during WWII fascists found the most defectors among the fanatic communists and vice versa. Turns out the people who most ardently adhere to an ideology tend not to care about the specifics of their ideology, just that it makes them feel good and explains why their life is lovely (and who to blame for it)

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

It's also because extreme leftist thought as seen on Tumblr and mostly younger progressives ends up with a lot of the same restrictions as a fascist authoritarian government but due to different reasons, i.e. both sides might want to forbid interracial marriage but the extreme left version of that is to prevent white people from appropriating the culture of the minority by marrying them and assimilating them into mainstream whiteness, rather than asserting the inferiority of people of color. The end result is the same, but the ideology is vastly different. It's not really a fair comparison though because seeing progressive thought go that far is extremely rare even among hardcore 'FULL COMMUNISM NOW' keyboard warriors. A few lone internet people writing blog posts isn't analagous to say most of Fox News' target audience.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Cleretic posted:

Hedonism: a centre‐left ideology.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

Travis343 posted:

It's also because extreme leftist thought as seen on Tumblr and mostly younger progressives ends up with a lot of the same restrictions as a fascist authoritarian government but due to different reasons, i.e. both sides might want to forbid interracial marriage but the extreme left version of that is to prevent white people from appropriating the culture of the minority by marrying them and assimilating them into mainstream whiteness, rather than asserting the inferiority of people of color. The end result is the same, but the ideology is vastly different. It's not really a fair comparison though because seeing progressive thought go that far is extremely rare even among hardcore 'FULL COMMUNISM NOW' keyboard warriors. A few lone internet people writing blog posts isn't analagous to say most of Fox News' target audience.

I find a lot of people have no sense of proportion about group membership populations such as those you mention. Tends to be from the Fox News type audience who aches to have a persecution complex about something so they want to pin themselves as the minority or at least "the other side is just as bad!!!". Often I've seen someone say "OMG TUMBLR THINKING IS RUINING THE WORLD" and their cite is like a random blog post about osmeone's personal anecdote or like a single article in a local paper. I've even done it myself becuase I didn't check sources. Meanwhile evidence to the contrary can be found in droves in not only mainstream news but empirical research.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I like the radicalism with no further description. "What do we want?" "Kickflips!" "When do want them?" "Now!"

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I like the radicalism with no further description. "What do we want?" "Kickflips!" "When do want them?" "Now!"

Radical!

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I've been mulling it over for a while, is radical anything automatically dragged to that spot on the spectrum? is a radical nationalist extremely left wing

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

willus posted:

I've been mulling it over for a while, is radical anything automatically dragged to that spot on the spectrum? is a radical nationalist extremely left wing

Radical means left, reactionary means right.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Why???

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

This looks like the beginning to one of those soothing sorting-algorithm posts

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Because it was deliberately created to be a bad graph.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Strudel Man posted:

Because it was deliberately created to be a bad graph.

Right here on this very website, even.

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

I like this one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Neither graph nor chart, yet I think it still has a place in here:

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

Gorilla Salad posted:

That's a perfectly correct question, though. The answer is 33%.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I need your answer explained.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
But if it's 33%, then it's 25%.

And if it's 25% then it's 50%.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
That answer is to draw a something obscene on the test page and/or assault the teacher.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
I guess the idea is to say that of you pick randomly you have either a 50, a 25 or a 25% chance of being right (depending on what the actual answer is). Thus if you average it out you get 33%?

I dunno I didn't do probability math in ages and something feels off about my answer :shrug:

E: I guess another way of seeing it would be that the probability of getting it right is the sum of the probability of it being the right answer times the probability of picking this answer.

If we assume that all 3 possible answers are equiprobable, we end up with

P=.33x.5+.33x.25+.33x25=.33x(.5+.25+.25)=.33x1 so 33%

E2: I just realised my assumption that the answers are equiprobable is actually dumb and wrong in this context, nvm.

Fathis Munk has a new favorite as of 08:37 on Apr 6, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Fathis Munk posted:

I guess the idea is to say that of you pick randomly you have either a 50, a 25 or a 25% chance of being right. Thus if you average it out you get 33%?

I dunno I didn't do probability math in ages and something feels off about my answer :shrug:
This is a question of philosophy, itself being a mathematical paradox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Gorilla Salad posted:

I'd answer 50% and explain that the answer couldn't possibly be A or D because its impossible to be both. Picking randomly between the two valid answers yields 50% probability of being correct.

Not that it matters, this is a "one hand clapping" question where there isn't a right answer and they just want to see how you thought through it.