Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Loren1350
Mar 30, 2007

Jabor posted:

Fast inserters are just straight-up better. While they have a higher peak power consumption, they also move faster, to the point where the actual energy-spent-per-item-moved is lower by about 15%.

The cost per move of normal and fast inserters is identical. If they are constantly working, then the overall energy-per-move is less with fast inserters, but only in a negligible amount due to reducing the relative cost of the idle drain. Of course, if they're constantly working, you want fast inserters anyway.

DaveKap posted:

In summary, however, the idea is simply a matter of building your factory to gain resources which you can, in turn, spend to spawn your biter armies inside an "arena" of sorts. Think of it being like Battle Bots but your bots are budgeted by how many resources you're willing to divert away from factory maintenance/improvement and towards winning scheduled battle bot arena matches. In the end, nobody sees or interacts with each other's factory but everyone watches the arena battles. Winners could get resource rewards or just victory points, whatever, we'll figure that out later because the important part is that if you can set up a kind of "proxy war" that your factory is supporting, it sets up for a "meta game" that you can play in multiplayer without requiring actual direct battle which, to me, seems like a competitive type of multiplayer that should be in the final game.

I do dabble in programming (python/bash primarily for work though I've also worked with LUA making SA:MP and JC2:MP mods) but I really don't have the time to pick up and figure out the modding for Factorio. That said, I'd be more than willing to work with someone else to get my idea into production. As far as numbers, balancing, flow (all the design doc bullshit) don't worry, I can take care of all of that (I've done it for actual-released games before.)

So, yeah, I just made a lovely "I have ideas! Someone else make them!" proposal except I'm willing to contribute to the code; I just need someone who can scaffold. Any takers?
This is actually relatively easy.

Baloogan posted:

I want modded huge seas, turning factorio's world into an archipelago with ships
This is much more difficult. But also doable, if requiring some hackishness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thyrork
Apr 21, 2010

"COME PLAY MECHS M'LANCER."

Or at least use Retrograde Mini's to make cool mechs and fantasy stuff.

:awesomelon:
Slippery Tilde

Node posted:

If I hear the red alarm siren one more time I will kill myself.

One more time. I will embrace the sweet release of death and end my life.

This, but ironically.

(It is a very annoying sound, yes.)

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum
My dream Factorio multiplayer game is more like DOTA without heroes. You have to build more trash mobs than the other guy, eventually wearing down their towers and pushing into their end zone (which could be their base). Players could enter the warpath as "heroes" if they wanted to do some damage control, but the setup (tech/build tree) penalizes leaving your setup for too long.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Pound_Coin posted:

I've never used log bots before and I have the ingredients for blue science packs dumping out at opposite ends of my base, how do I get these jerks to collect poo poo and dump it into factories?

You need logistic chests, specifically you need Passive Provider, Requester, Storage, and Active Provider chests. Logistic bots interact with those chests.

To make the blue science packs, create a passive provider chest to collect materials that you are using for the blue science packs. Use an inserter to place some or all of those goods in the passive provider chest. Once the necessary goods are in the chest, if you mouse over the chest, it'll show you that there are goods in the logistic network.

Now create a requester chest over where you want to build blue science. For simplicity, we'll just have one assembler for now. Place an assembler and set it to blue science. Shift left click on the assembler, then shift right click on the requester chest. It will automatically request all of the ingredients needed for two blue science packs. Hook that chest up to the assembler and then hook a passive provider chest up to the assembler output, and you have one assembler making blue science.

If you want more assemblers, you can get fancier and hook requester chests up to belts. Have one chest request smart inserters, one request steel, one request advanced circuits, and one request batteries, and hook them all up to different sides of two different belts. Run them down through assemblers and you have a standard belt-fed assembly line that has the belts fed by robots.

Once you have a logistic network, you will want to build storage chests as they're where robots store miscellaneous junk that you trash or stuff that they cannot deliver to you. I like to place them in a centralized area near my train stations because of active provider chests. Active provider chests immediately dump their contents into the network. Robots will automatically take anything that they are filled with and place them into storage or into requesters if there is an active request for that item. The most common use I have for them is unloading ore from trains, but there are plenty of other ways to use them.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
So I just discovered the wonders of having robots build and destroy things for me. I have a couple questions about it though. I'm laying down lots of concrete using blueprints so I tried putting a concrete requester chest down at the work site so the construction bots wouldn't have to head allllll the way back to central storage. But obviously the construction bots won't pull from a requester chest. Is there a better way to handle this than replacing it with a provider chest when it's full?

Sometimes my robots get stuck holding things. Usually this happens when the thing they were doing is no longer valid (like switching chest as above). They just hover and I've tried waiting until they run out of power and head back to the roboport, but they just sit on the chargers when they get there.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Travic posted:

So I just discovered the wonders of having robots build and destroy things for me. I have a couple questions about it though. I'm laying down lots of concrete using blueprints so I tried putting a concrete requester chest down at the work site so the construction bots wouldn't have to head allllll the way back to central storage. But obviously the construction bots won't pull from a requester chest. Is there a better way to handle this than replacing it with a provider chest when it's full?

Sometimes my robots get stuck holding things. Usually this happens when the thing they were doing is no longer valid (like switching chest as above). They just hover and I've tried waiting until they run out of power and head back to the roboport, but they just sit on the chargers when they get there.

Have a smart inserter move from the requester chest to a storage or passive provider chest. For the second problem, put a bunch of empty storage chests in your logi network

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
You can also pick up robots out of the air by right-click on them, same as removing any item. It's a bit more finicky because they're so small.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

memy posted:

Have a smart inserter move from the requester chest to a storage or passive provider chest. For the second problem, put a bunch of empty storage chests in your logi network

Having an inserter move from a requester chest to a provider or storage chest seems like a good way to give your robots pointless make-work.

I think the best way would be to place down a storage chest, restrict all the slots to only concrete (I think you can still do slot restrictions?), then put an active provider at wherever you're producing concrete. You'll want to seed the storage chest with a bit of concrete first, and make sure there's no other concrete stored elsewhere in your network, and use a smart inserter keyed to logistic network supply when taking stuff out of your concrete assembler, but if you do all that then what should happen is the robots move all the concrete into the storage chest, and then pick up from there when they need to build concrete.

Or if this is just a one-off thing, slap a requester down, then turn it into a provider once it's full.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Jabor posted:

Or if this is just a one-off thing, slap a requester down, then turn it into a provider once it's full.

this is how its done

memy
Oct 15, 2011

by exmarx

Jabor posted:

Having an inserter move from a requester chest to a provider or storage chest seems like a good way to give your robots pointless make-work.

I didn't think this all the way through, I guess

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

Wine can of their wits the wise beguile,
Make the sage frolic, and the serious smile.
Uhh, you can change a chest into another kind of chest?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Travic posted:

Personally, I try to avoid having bots lay concrete since it's so easy to place huge swaths of it at once with the + key and each bot has to place each individual tile. Unfortunately, yeah, you've found the best way of handling it using bots that I'm aware of.

Do you have empty storage for them to drop stuff off into? I've never had this problem - my bots usually will sit there for a second or two and then head off to do something else.

Baloogan
Dec 5, 2004
Fun Shoe

Overwined posted:

you can place most items on top of eachother, inserters, chests, those 3x3 thingy builders

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

Solumin posted:

You can also pick up robots out of the air by right-click on them, same as removing any item. It's a bit more finicky because they're so small.

This is unfortunately what I've had to do. Usually I have to scrap the roboport to get at them too.

Overwined posted:

When you place an item on top of another similar item (chests, belts, assembly machines) it will automatically remove the old one and place it in your inventory. Nothing actually transforms or anything. It's just handy. This is especially useful reversing a belts direction. Instead of hitting "R" over and over to turn them all around. Plop down new belts in the correct orientation and viola.

Dirk the Average posted:

Personally, I try to avoid having bots lay concrete since it's so easy to place huge swaths of it at once with the + key and each bot has to place each individual tile. Unfortunately, yeah, you've found the best way of handling it using bots that I'm aware of.

Do you have empty storage for them to drop stuff off into? I've never had this problem - my bots usually will sit there for a second or two and then head off to do something else.

Does the + key make the area bigger? :aaa:

I have about 20 spare chests. They just seem to ignore them.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Jabor posted:

Pro tip: do this during MP and don't tell anybody.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I wonder if you could use it to draw things with the resulting robot snakes.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Baloogan posted:

you can place most items on top of eachother, inserters, chests, those 3x3 thingy builders

There's a mod called upgrade planner that harnesses this facility. You make yellow blueprints and tell it which items it can upgrade like asemblers, inserters, belts etc. Click it down and the robots come and drop replacements over what you had keeping all the settings.

memy posted:

I actually did this once because I was pondering the same question of how to move stuff from storage over there to storage here. I then watched a robot pick up from the storage, drop it in the requester, pick up from the requester, drop in the storage. A quick facepalm later and I came to the conclusion you will have by now. Let the requester fill up then drop the storage/passive on top.

Node posted:

If I hear the red alarm siren one more time I will kill myself.

One more time. I will embrace the sweet release of death and end my life.

If you are serious, go to the Factorio install directory and replace %STEAM%\Factorio\data\core\sound\alert-damage.ogg with silence or whatever you prefer.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Victory at 24:53. I think I can get that time down a few hours if I actually prep decently for the launch and if I'm better about my plastics use. I had an interesting map - I was on a peninsula, so I didn't see biters for a while but when I did they came in force. The early-midgame transition period was very fraught. Also it was mostly desert with long distances so it felt a little Mad Max.

Very satisfying.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Tulip posted:

I had an interesting map - I was on a peninsula, so I didn't see biters for a while but when I did they came in force. The early-midgame transition period was very fraught. Also it was mostly desert with long distances so it felt a little Mad Max.

Very satisfying.

We have similar maps. behold my poo poo factory:

I don't know what I'm doing and i'm yet to look at a wiki :toot:

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Tulip posted:

Victory at 24:53. I think I can get that time down a few hours if I actually prep decently for the launch and if I'm better about my plastics use. I had an interesting map - I was on a peninsula, so I didn't see biters for a while but when I did they came in force. The early-midgame transition period was very fraught. Also it was mostly desert with long distances so it felt a little Mad Max.

Very satisfying.

Just cut another 22 hours off and you'll be in the running.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pound_Coin posted:

We have similar maps. behold my poo poo factory:

I don't know what I'm doing and i'm yet to look at a wiki :toot:

Goddammit you can make larger gates?!

I'm really impressed with how organized this is, but I'm also like the sloppiest engineer there is.

Dr. Stab posted:

Just cut another 22 hours off and you'll be in the running.

lol

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
How's the campaign story?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Loren1350 posted:

This is actually relatively easy.
I don't know if that's an invitation or not but if it is, PM me with some contact details.

Asproigerosis posted:

How's the campaign story?
It's just an extensive tutorial. The "story" is just that you crash landed and have to build up a factory to make science and then build a thing at the end of the science chain while also defending against monsters. That's all. The "real" game is just the sandbox mode and trying to build a rocket ship.

Eventually the game is supposed to have some extra end-game content (it's still beta after all) but nobody who plays really cares about it as the game feels complete as is. Not to mention mods.

DaveKap fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Apr 2, 2016

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
I normally take every map as a challenge as to what I could possibly fit into a postage stamp

I all but abandoned that second one trying to set up module production to finally start a map where I just didn't jam things next to each other because that's where the room is, like Big Pharma. I kicked off automated production with a gear wheel -> belt assembler before I got red science automated so I wouldn't have any excuses about not belting my plates into an open field for organized line design.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DaveKap posted:

Eventually the game is supposed to have some extra end-game content (it's still beta after all) but nobody who plays really cares about it as the game feels complete as is. Not to mention mods.

Speaking of mods, does anyone have any recommendations for mods for me to try based on my previous post?

Overwined posted:

So I'm looking for come recommendations for modest mods. I've been playing this game 2ish years and I've never installed any mods. In my current game I've recently discovered a distant oil field, so I'm going to install the Oil Tanker mod and probably that track placement mod to support it. I'm not really interested in adding bloat for bloat's sake nor do I really care to add anything to combat. Any recommendations?

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

Overwined posted:

Speaking of mods, does anyone have any recommendations for mods for me to try based on my previous post?
All the mods listed at the start of this guy's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk
It's a huge gameplay dynamic shift when you 1: Don't worry about biters, 2: Depend on large rail systems to keep your factory going, and 3: Add a bunch of quality-of-life changes that are, in my opinion, modest to the point of wondering why they aren't in vanilla.

Unless you're specifically talking about adding mods to your current game, in which case I'd still suggest most of the mods listed at the start of that video.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Why set day always on, you don't look like you have any solar there. You don't like the dark?

Overwined posted:

Not really, I read that post and you list a lot of what you don't want. I could give you a pack with RSO settings I use but you seem to have something specific in mind and probably wouldn't like it.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Ratzap posted:

Why set day always on, you don't look like you have any solar there. You don't like the dark?
Screenshot normal procedure.

Also just off screen north, the 15mW solar farm.

Overwined
Sep 22, 2008

DaveKap posted:

All the mods listed at the start of this guy's video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mfdct1J6Sk
It's a huge gameplay dynamic shift when you 1: Don't worry about biters, 2: Depend on large rail systems to keep your factory going, and 3: Add a bunch of quality-of-life changes that are, in my opinion, modest to the point of wondering why they aren't in vanilla.

Unless you're specifically talking about adding mods to your current game, in which case I'd still suggest most of the mods listed at the start of that video.

Those mods he listed look cool. I doubt I'll use all of them, but it's a great start. Thanks!

Ratzap posted:

Not really, I read that post and you list a lot of what you don't want. I could give you a pack with RSO settings I use but you seem to have something specific in mind and probably wouldn't like it.

I know it seems like I'm being overly picky (I probably am). I'm definitely going to do RSO and fiddle with it. I just personally think the only thing about this game that's not really done is combat. I want it in the game and see how it's necessary, it's just clunkily implemented and after playing with it (and it not changing) for 2ish years, I'd rather omit it and wait until they get it looking better. And I'm sure they will.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Peaceful with RSO plus FARL and Fat Controller and a research requirement multiplier or endless research mod might be up your alley as Factorio cross Transport Tycoon.

And that alien artifact manufacturing mod if you really want to just turn the biters off and get those waves of resources rolling about.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

zedprime posted:

Screenshot normal procedure.

Also just off screen north, the 15mW solar farm.

Good one, I wouldn't have thought of that, I just wait for it to be day to take screenies.

Overwined posted:

I know it seems like I'm being overly picky (I probably am). I'm definitely going to do RSO and fiddle with it. I just personally think the only thing about this game that's not really done is combat. I want it in the game and see how it's necessary, it's just clunkily implemented and after playing with it (and it not changing) for 2ish years, I'd rather omit it and wait until they get it looking better. And I'm sure they will.

If I'm trying new mods I generally go peaceful for the same reason, I want to try the mod out not have the same tedious waves of biters again. If you do RSO, make sure you change the default config, it has way too much resource and much too close for the real train feel. Even cut down to half the default we're running into too much stuff lying around. If you make a map and there's something close enough to belt in, tweak it down and try again. Same with richness and size, some people play with them wacked up so they can just play through on one patch. If you try RSO you want the starting stuff to only last long enough to get into trains and push you out into the wide world. Default start area and density ramps are pretty high, fiddle till you like it.
Bergius process and KS_Power are worth looking into too. Gives you an alternate oil product path and late game generation choices.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
Burner inserter people unite! Klonan made a mod which lets them fuel themselves from any entity in reach. This lets you build early smelter setups with zero electricity requirement.

https://forums.factorio.com/viewtopic.php?f=92&t=14634

I'm pretty sure there's a long burner inserter somewhere too.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Advanced Oil Processing seems like it's worth it because it pre-cracks most of the oil, right?

Got my tank, Power Armor's built, got my Engine and Electric Engine automated productions going, got a rudimentary Logistics robot network going and bringing the disparate components needed for Blue Chips across the otherwise-impassable labyrinth that is Oil Town. Next thing I guess is to automate solar panel production and capacitors, get myself as much free juice as I can without relying on lakes and fuel.

The laser module you can attach to your armor, does it automatically shoot at hostiles?

Speedball fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 3, 2016

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Notice how normal oil processing yields 10 units of product, but advanced oil processing yields 11. Also, that cracking isn't 100% efficient. Advanced processing gets you considerably more petrol per crude, and is what you should always be running unless you're desperate for lubricant.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I've been rolling over the nearest spawner bases with my tank and explosive cannon shells and having a grand time. Is there an even better way to slaughter aliens?

And when do behemoth variants of aliens show up on default settings? I'm producing almost every product in the game, so my base is of considerable size, but I only see giant aliens at most.

Speedball posted:

Advanced Oil Processing seems like it's worth it because it pre-cracks most of the oil, right?

Got my tank, Power Armor's built, got my Engine and Electric Engine automated productions going, got a rudimentary Logistics robot network going and bringing the disparate components needed for Blue Chips across the otherwise-impassable labyrinth that is Oil Town. Next thing I guess is to automate solar panel production and capacitors, get myself as much free juice as I can without relying on lakes and fuel.

The laser module you can attach to your armor, does it automatically shoot at hostiles?

Yes, its really dinky though. It'll take ages for it to kill a giant alien. However, it does shoot out even while you're in a vehicle, so you can be farting laser beams everywhere while doing donuts around aliens in your tank.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Node posted:

And when do behemoth variants of aliens show up on default settings? I'm producing almost every product in the game, so my base is of considerable size, but I only see giant aliens at most.

Behemoths only appear at maximum evolution, as far as I know.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

How do you split out lead ore from nickel ore in Bob's Mod? Run the ore belt past 3 or 4 smart inserters on both sides?

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I don't know how to set up effective belts so they're full of random poo poo and clog up because things need stuff to make.

Also had a pretty rocking starting spot:

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013
The true value of Advanced Oil Processing (the research) is that it reduces your crude oil consumption by letting you crack unneeded light and heavy oil.

For example, to get 9 petroleum gas per second, you need 12 refineries with basic oil processing, consuming 24 crude per second, and you'll also get massive amounts of heavy and light oil. With advanced oil precessing, you can get 9 petroleum gas per second using 5 refineries running advanced oil processing, 1 heavy oil cracking plant and 7 light oil cracking plants. This setup consumes 10 crude per second and produces no heavy or light oil -- it's all consumed by cracking.

If you actually need heavy or light oil (flamethrower fuel, lubricant, solid fuel) then regular oil processing can in some cases be a better option due to how much more heavy oil you get.

tl;dr look at it in terms of crude saved, not just gas produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

LLSix posted:

How do you split out lead ore from nickel ore in Bob's Mod? Run the ore belt past 3 or 4 smart inserters on both sides?

3 works for normal belt, red belt needs a bank of 3 or 4 both sides to be sure. You're unlikely to need much nickel so toss it straight in a void chest or keep a few k first if you feel the need. What works more reliably and ensures you never get that poo poo blocking the downstream is to have a loop from the mine. Pull the galena off onto a new belt and pull the nickel off into voids. That way you can be certain no nickel will leak through.

Asproigerosis posted:

I don't know how to set up effective belts so they're full of random poo poo and clog up because things need stuff to make.

Also had a pretty rocking starting spot:

That's the radiologist special starting island ;)

Speedball posted:

Yes and the downside is that if you're playing on peaceful, it will auto engage anything you get close to anyway. I generally don't use them on any map because they engage first which draws aggro onto you rather than a turret. If you like getting spat at, go for it ;)