Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
:laffo: I missed the Reddit shitizen burning Octopode

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Dusty Lens posted:

Milky Moor posted:

freelancer isn't freespace

Freespace 2 is the best sci-fi flight sim of all time. At some point in the past, Derek expressed interest in buying the IP and, at the time, told Freespace 2's community that he would shut down any mods or fan projects for IP infringement.

FS2's community is built around that sort of thing. So, they reacted badly. In the end, Derek didn't go through with it.
Holy poo poo lol is that true?

Yes. I think that particular trolling last a good six months.

Disclaimer: I was trying to get the IP and came very close to acquiring it. But I backed out at the last minute in order to teach a bunch of rear end-clowns with entitlement issues, a lesson. Almost 10 years later, no Freespace 3. gently caress 'em.

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Reharakhti posted:

I made some peter gabriel fanart
Hope you see it peter, your videos are the best :3

This needs to be printed and framed.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

A Stupid Baby posted:

Derek Smart buddy whatever happens I want to thank you for making the internet fuckin' fun/dumb again

:D :D :D :D

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
that picture perfectly captures the fidelity of the un-expressive, glazed stare of the Citizen.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Holy poo poo lol is that true?

Disclaimer: I was trying to get the IP and came very close to acquiring it. But I backed out at the last minute in order to teach a bunch of rear end-clowns with entitlement issues, a lesson. Almost 10 years later, no Freespace 3. gently caress 'em.
[/quote]

you let the terrorist win Derek

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

I'm pretty sure I won't look like him in 2 years

feels great

He looks like he's about a decade older than he actually is. And not a particularly well-preserved mid-40's either. I'm genuinely surprised he's that young.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
derek you are a tease and a jerk and I hate you :(

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013

AP posted:

It won't be so great if they manage to work it out before Wednesday.

Didn't he prepone it? Third clue today, fourth and final clue tomorrow

EDIT: I realised that you might be talking about something that the content itself will reveal. Never mind

my girlfriend is Legos fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 3, 2016

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

D_Smart posted:

We already have a stdh thread.

Wow I missed a lot of posts. Definitely not reading all those, holy moly. Looks to be an encryption joke. As long as someone can confirm I didn't miss any Ryan Archer shenanigans I am fine with skipping.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Can Derek Smart buy the rights to Freelancer? I got it on Amazon recently out of nostalgia for when I first got into PC gaming.

We don't run this place, but we have a sizable stake in its operation.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

I'm telling you guys, those wankers are few draws short of a perfect inhale.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Haskell9 posted:

link please.

Sounds legit. Hey Derek why were you after these guys?

wat? I don't even know who that is.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Breetai posted:

He looks like he's about a decade older than he actually is. And not a particularly well-preserved mid-40's either. I'm genuinely surprised he's that young.

Agree. I honestly thought he was reaching up to 50. Now someone explain to me how someone so young can be obsessed with Wing Commander. I'm old enough and I can still only imagine people my seniors being super into it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I'm telling you guys, those wankers are few draws short of a perfect inhale.

Jester86 is also a mod and trader at r/starcitizen_trades. It's in his interests to pretend that Star Citizen isn't a train wreck, at least until he sells everything he owns. I'm glad he removed the encrypted thread from there though.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

D_Smart posted:

Can you clear something up for me? How is modding a bad thing for a game?

Some of the Benefits I see as a Player / Modder

1) People have to buy your game to mod it
2) Cool mods are going to attract customers the base game didn't
3) Modders work for free optimizing and expanding on your game
4) Modding extends the lifespan of a game dramatically (Freelancer? Armada 2? Allegiance? Freespace 2?

I get that it's an IP Issue but a lot of developers actively encourage modding by building in tools to help with it. Is it a worry that random spergs are going to make a more autistic simulator than you and cost you money? Or did someone somewhere say something that rubbed you the wrong way, so you tore down a business deal as a result?

One of my favorite recent space games, Starsector, actively encourages modding, the developer helps instruct people on how to create them, and the game has gotten way more exposure and popular because there is about 10x mod content over what the base game brings to the table.

Fat Shat Sings fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Apr 3, 2016

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Klyith posted:

because when he announced to the world that he was gonna buy the freespace IP the mod community was not very appreciative. it was like they didn't think he could make a good game from it or something, crazy huh?

and derek has never met a flamewar that he wouldn't jump in with both feet so of course he immediately started attacking them. because hate keeps you young and by that measure derek smart will live for 500 years.

Revisionist history is a thing, I know; but once in awhile, it pays to at least do the research.

I never attacked them first.

They started it when they got wind (not from me btw) that I was looking into acquiring the license due to my long standing relationship with Interplay

Then they were all up in arms with the usual entitlement bullshit

So they did the one thing that nobody ever said was a good idea: started attacking me

...and then there was yet another flamewar derived from that

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Sillybones posted:

Agree. I honestly thought he was reaching up to 50. Now someone explain to me how someone so young can be obsessed with Wing Commander. I'm old enough and I can still only imagine people my seniors being super into it.

TBH WC came out when I was about 8 and I'm nearly Ben's age so I'm guessing he played it as a child, got hooked and it's been a core part of his identity ever since.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

CrazyTolradi posted:

TBH WC came out when I was about 8 and I'm nearly Ben's age so I'm guessing he played it as a child, got hooked and it's been a core part of his identity ever since.

See, this is why bullying needs to be stopped. Or increased dramatically. Either one.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

D_Smart posted:

Then they were all up in arms with the usual entitlement bullshit
As someone completely unaware of the Freespace drama that occured, what exactly do you mean when you say "usual entitlement bullshit"?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Starcitizen_trades/comments/4d27pr/wtb_lti_idris_m_or_idris_p_giftable_only/d1n7u7i?context=3

Wonder if CIG give him a cut for referring suckers to them.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!

I wouldn't be surprised anymore - as the example with Ryan Archer kinda demonstrates questionable hiring practices, if you are buddies with the right people, CIG seemingly is taking care of you.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Sillybones posted:

See, this is why bullying needs to be stopped. Or increased dramatically. Either one.

:agreed:

Gejnor
Mar 14, 2005

Fun Shoe

Star Citizen Horror game confirmed

Kephael
Apr 2, 2016

The FPS combat seems to equivalent to Garrysmod circa 2005. The FPS combat is certainly going to surpass Call of Duty as promised.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Fat Status: I now weigh less than I have at any point in the last two years. gently caress yeah.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Fat Status: I now weigh less than I have at any point in the last two years. gently caress yeah.

Nice work! Getting fit and eating less shittily always pays off, and as a bonus, will let you live longer so you can finally play Star Citizen when it's released in 2059.

sorla78
Oct 11, 2012

EAT THE PAIN AWAY!
Also what happened with Dickwulfe? Does anyone know the reason why he has gone quiet on all this? Is he still heavily invested or did he cash out?
Kinda weird how he doesn't seem to desperately hit the spotlights anymore... or is the reason that he succeeded and is now counted part of the crew over at CIG LA and maybe turns up as the next marketing artist?

If there's one thing I am looking forward from this impending disaster, then it is to see all these community celebs getting burned.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

So are CIG's offices getting raided by the Feds on Wednesday?

That's the only reason I can think of that it's important that they don't crack the code before then, so they don't shred/burn all the evidence.

But Derek said Erin knows, and I'm assuming that applies to the rest of the top tier executives. They probably shredded the actual accounting books a long time ago.

Gaaaah I'm so frustrated.

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

sorla78 posted:

Also what happened with Dickwulfe? Does anyone know the reason why he has gone quiet on all this? Is he still heavily invested or did he cash out?
Kinda weird how he doesn't seem to desperately hit the spotlights anymore... or is the reason that he succeeded and is now counted part of the crew over at CIG LA and maybe turns up as the next marketing artist?

If there's one thing I am looking forward from this impending disaster, then it is to see all these community celebs getting burned.

Probably got told to stop sending dick pics to chick's and that's like all he does so now he don't have anything to do

Blunderstorm
Mar 1, 2016

my grandfather just posts and all i got was this lousy joke, so what

D1E posted:

That's the only reason I can think of that it's important that they don't crack the code before then, so they don't shred/burn all the evidence.

But Derek said Erin knows, and I'm assuming that applies to the rest of the top tier executives. They probably shredded the actual accounting books a long time ago.

That actually makes it worse if that were the case. Nobody shreds books anymore, they hire really smart people who are willing to do extremely shady accounting for a lot of money.

It's always been speculated that's why there are like 12 companies attached to star citizen.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

:swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon: :swoon:

Someone lock that behind a platinum user only wall before someone 34s it.

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016

sorla78 posted:

My theory is that since he was trying to pay for acceptance/happiness, but was being mocked relentlessly by some people when he was public he has just retreated to some private furry organization or forum or chat that has enough people that treat him like a celebrity that the desperate hunger for attention that fuels him is satiated. It might be 20 people, or 100 people.

Basically that turd is stuck in the corner of an echo chamber where everyone is probably trying to rationalize more than one bad decision they've made. Fursuits not being the worst one.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Is Wednesday payday for US-based CIG employees?

That would be retarded, but that already goes without saying for everything involved with CIG.

Is that when the rank and file will receive pink slips or be asked to wait patiently while there is a "slight delay" in payroll this week?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You are a step closer to getting jacked, painting yourself green and making a neighborhood's Halloween exceedingly memorable.

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Will Sandi update her Twitter that she has been thinking about a role on Orange is the New Black and is preparing by doing some old-school method-acting immersion?

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

D1E posted:

i don't know about the US but in the UK I think in the case where evidence has been deliberately destroyed juries get instructed to assume the absolute worst implications that evidence might have pointed to

aleksendr
May 14, 2014
Wednesday midnight is when a lot of company in north america do automatic transfer for pay, yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

D1E posted:

Will Sandi update her Twitter that she has been thinking about a role on Orange is the New Black and is preparing by doing some old-school method-acting immersion?

She's already halfway there, she did that "interrogation" scene where her outfit kept changing back and forth between civvies and the jumpsuit

• Locked thread