Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpk2tdsPh0A

It's so nerdy and pointless that it loops around to being amazing.

My friend posted this to Facebook and it blew my mind while I simultaneously yelled Neeeeerd a la Homer Simpson to no one in particular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

Guy Mann posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DPfMATdVN-w

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

I hope a Nintendo dev puts a hidden scuttlebug jamboree area in one of the next Mario games.

Lurdiak posted:

Lmao apparently a show stopping bug was patched into Ducktales Remastered where for a bunch of people the game just freezes in the final boss area, including for me. Good job Capcom.

That final boss fight crashes more often than Launchpad. I gave up after my third run through the level.

super sweet best pal fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Apr 3, 2016

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

holy poo poo, the guy who made that video also uploaded this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKtZsf4wWQc. I dunno how in the world, somebody figured out those glitches, let alone actually do them.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

:eyepop:

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

this one's not nearly as impressive because it's just "wow make this number go up high enough that the n64 freezes". it feels like the first part of one of those glitches that forces the game to load certain values but there's no payoff

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Unguided posted:

That final boss fight crashes more often than Launchpad. I gave up after my third run through the level.

If you care to play again, you can go into the taskbar, go to active processes, select DuckTales.exe, set its priority to lower than normal, and then change its affinity from all processors to just Processor 1. I hope I explained that right.

Once you do that, the boss fight itself should run without any problem, but you have to skip the cutscene as soon as the boss dies. It's loving ridiculous that you need to do ANY of this, but that just goes to show you how much Capcom cares about a PC port of an outsourced project. And yes, it is Capcom's bad, since they're the ones in charge of patching and bugfixes.

Shame, Wayforward worked crazy hard on this game.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
The level of enthusiasm capcom has always showed :geno:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CUQWm4fw-E

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

people obsess over the weirdest poo poo

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Nasgate posted:

My friend posted this to Facebook and it blew my mind while I simultaneously yelled Neeeeerd a la Homer Simpson to no one in particular.

The correct response.

Though anyone who has coded low level GUI knows all about button presses. There are even "press cancels" which is nauseating to think about.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

The logistics involved in making that kind of stuff happen is interesting I guess, but setting a goal like "let's see how few button presses it takes to accomplish this task in a twenty-year-old game" is pretty arbitrary imo, and not something I can relate to as a person who sometimes interacts with the outside world

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Guy Mann posted:

This reminds me, I came across this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

The dude who did that thing where he re-wrote the code ingame for Super Mario World to teleport to the end credits went a step further and just loving coded in a whole other game while in the game.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Macaluso posted:

This reminds me, I came across this the other day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB6eY73sLV0

The dude who did that thing where he re-wrote the code ingame for Super Mario World to teleport to the end credits went a step further and just loving coded in a whole other game while in the game.

Yeah, there's another one somewhere it was done live on an actual SNES. It loving boggles the mind.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

This would be impressive if they hadn't done that exploit at AGDQ that programmed a Mario Maker clone into the game.

I would probably still hate it though because gently caress Flappy Bird.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

raditts posted:

This would be impressive if they hadn't done that exploit at AGDQ that programmed a Mario Maker clone into the game.

I didn't know that happened

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

raditts posted:

That was done using a TASbot so it's a lot less impressive actually.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOsvuEA2h4w&t=674s

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Phi230 posted:

Let's actually look at coke vs. No Man's Sky.

Where I live a half a gram of cocaine costs $30. A half a gram is enough for 4-5 lines and a few key bumps. That's enough to keep you high for roughly 2-3 hours depending how you space it out. The maximum one could do is about 1.5 grams so roughly 90$ for a maximum of 9 hours of entertainment. About 10$ an hour. This is all assuming a casual user with moderate to no tolerance. An actual coke head would be consuming more cocaine just for the same amount of entertainment.

NMS is 60, and even a short game offers 8 hours of entertainment. At 6 hours of play you would reach that 10$ per hour mark where it takes 9 (and a possible overdose) to reach the same mark with cocaine. With a game like NMS you're looking at 10+ hours of entertainment so you have a minimum of less than 10$ per hour of entertainment with the cost per hour going down as you put more time into the game, being that there is no maximum enjoyment.

So indeed playing NMS is cheaper than casually doing cocaine.

:allears:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

The pixel art and music in this penny arcade game seem designed to inflict suffering on the player.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Lurdiak posted:

The pixel art and music in this penny arcade game seem designed to inflict suffering on the player.

So working as intended then? It is Penny Arcade, after all.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Wamdoodle posted:

So working as intended then? It is Penny Arcade, after all.

I had some fun with the first two games, so I thought I'd give this a look. In addition to just being terribly done pixel art, something appears to be wrong with the way it's rendering, so it's all stretched and squashed unevenly. Maybe the game doesn't know what to do with my old-rear end monitor, but it's sure hard to look at.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I liked the gimmick in the first two Penny Arcade games where your player-created character would appear in the comic-style 2D cutscenes. It's a small touch for how time-consuming and pricy it must have been to do, but it was a really nice touch.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I made an extremely goofy guy who looked like Steve Buscemi with a handlebar mustache, it was pretty sweet. Too bad they couldn't keep working with that studio.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I enjoyed the Bioshock Infinite "movies" on Youtube (collected cutscenes) so I'm hoping the Mass Effect ones will be similarly entertaining.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPqR2wOs8WI

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Jay Rust posted:

The logistics involved in making that kind of stuff happen is interesting I guess, but setting a goal like "let's see how few button presses it takes to accomplish this task in a twenty-year-old game" is pretty arbitrary imo, and not something I can relate to as a person who sometimes interacts with the outside world

He's trying to reduce A-presses to 0, and when he does he'll tell Miyamoto "So you called him Jumpman, huh? Well, take a look at this!"

It's the ultimate purpose.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Today was good day and then I remembered something I did to embarass myself four years ago and now the whole day's shot.

EDIT: gently caress now I'm remembering high school why did I think it was cool to wear my hair like that

gently caress my life is a parade of shame

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

Strange, I though the 2-D ones on a whole looked and played better than the barely functioning 3-D ones.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
On my PS3, I have the entirety of Metal Gear Solid. (1,2,3,4,5, ground zeroes and revengeance - there are probably more but I'm not very knowledgeable with them).

I've played 20 or so minutes of 1, but it is difficult and I want to jump straight to Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain because everyone gushes about them and it is apparently set in my favourite decade. Should I just suck it up and play everything in order?

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

VideoGames posted:

On my PS3, I have the entirety of Metal Gear Solid. (1,2,3,4,5, ground zeroes and revengeance - there are probably more but I'm not very knowledgeable with them).

I've played 20 or so minutes of 1, but it is difficult and I want to jump straight to Ground Zeroes and Phantom Pain because everyone gushes about them and it is apparently set in my favourite decade. Should I just suck it up and play everything in order?

I'm not sure this is actually possible you will probably die of old age before you beat them all

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VideoGames posted:

In my opinion, Metal Gear Solid 1 is the best Metal Gear Solid game. There's only one other in the franchise that might actually be better. Either way, you should play it and you should play it before you play the others, because the original PSX MGS lacks a lot of quality of life features the sequels have. I will say that the difficulty you described is quite normal and the game punishes you harshly until you learn how to play it right, at which point everything should get a lot better.

Stick with it, and avoid any spoilers from here on out.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

VideoGames posted:

go ahead and skip to whatever you like. 2 and 3 are the best imho but whatever

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

VideoGames posted:

Yes, play them in order. The first half hour to hour of every MGS game is hard because you have to learn how everything works. GZ and V are very different from the rest of the series. Also, everyone has different favorites, so they're all worth experiencing.

I also don't know how well V runs on the PS3. I haven't tried but I've heard mixed things.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

VideoGames posted:

I say go for it. Going from Peacewalker to MGS4 or MGS3 to MGS2 can be difficult because the controls are so similar with small changes, but the gameplay in MGSV is so different that to you won't have that same trouble if you play older games after it.

If mgs1 is too difficult/old for you, you might enjoy Twin Snakes more. There's a lot of hate for it because of how easy it is, but it still hits all the same story beats.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yes, play them in order. The first half hour to hour of every MGS game is hard because you have to learn how everything works. GZ and V are very different from the rest of the series. Also, everyone has different favorites, so they're all worth experiencing.

I also don't know how well V runs on the PS3. I haven't tried but I've heard mixed things.

it runs OK. 360 port is pretty bad but ps3 is alright

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

VideoGames posted:

With all due respect, why the gently caress do you not have Peace Walker

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

mgs3 is my favorite game ever so play that. also play peace walker because it pretty much leads directly into mgs5

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Also don't play Peace Walker before Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain because PP will likely just piss you off. I recommend playing those two as far apart from each other as possible so you forget

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

peace walker sucks dude

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

time for another lovely boss fight against a tank, woo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

ethanol posted:

I'm not sure this is actually possible you will probably die of old age before you beat them all
I've done most of it, I started back in September having only played MGS2 when it first came out (I still replayed it for this run) and I'm just now starting Peace Walker. MGS3 was far and away my favorite of the bunch.

• Locked thread