Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerry Bindle
May 16, 2003
names for linux things need not be pronounceable, because why would you ever talk about them in meatspace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

da gimp

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Reminder: the most widely used widget toolkit in Linux was derived from the GIMP, the worst image editor.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

the gimp is alright, it certainly isn't the worst. changing it to "single window mode" is a good idea (idk why this isn't the default setting). gimp, imagemagick and inkscape do most of the needful for me. you could use poo poo like Krita i guess but it is both anime and kde

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

Reminder: the most widely used widget toolkit in Linux was derived from the GIMP, the worst image editor.

1. gimp rules

2. at the time, the alternative was motif. if you seriously prefer motif to gtk 1 .0, the men in white suits will show up shortly

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
people easily could've used XView and Open Look instead, and poo poo would have looked better too instead of looking like a poo poo knockoff of a poo poo knockoff of a Mac

and Open Look was designed to support HiDPI too

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

If you've only ever used free as in libre and open source software, I'm sure that The GIMP seems fine.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

OldAlias posted:

the gimp is alright, it certainly isn't the worst. changing it to "single window mode" is a good idea (idk why this isn't the default setting). gimp, imagemagick and inkscape do most of the needful for me. you could use poo poo like Krita i guess but it is both anime and kde

Agreed

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

atomicthumbs posted:

If your keyboard is full of pube-like overgrown beard hairs and cheeto dust, I'm sure that The GIMP seems fine.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

Silver Alicorn posted:

well I tried installing nvidia drivers and now gnome won't load

with some gpus you need to generate the xorg config file fir gnome to load

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

quote:

You can suspend the computer by holding Alt while hovering over the power button from the top-right corner menu. It will turn into a "pause button".
Goldmine.

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Wild EEPROM posted:

Do you pronounce fglrx "figglerix"?

i just say fire-gee-ell

fglrx stands for FireGL and Radeon for X

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i pronounce it akofijlsfkjlahshukafkhfjfsd *shakes mouth around and spit flies everywhere*

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Best thing about gimp is that it uses a lovely obsolete version of the gimp toolkit

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

so we're back to atomicthumbs complaining that his bad decisions have poor results

buy an nvidia card and stop using dumbass "lightweight" poo poo

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

people easily could've used XView and Open Look instead, and poo poo would have looked better too instead of looking like a poo poo knockoff of a poo poo knockoff of a Mac

and Open Look was designed to support HiDPI too

i honestly didn't know xview was open sourced so long ago

it does actually raise a question, especially given how similar the API designs are between gtk 1.x and xview

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

go with a hardware setup that works, idk wtf you're doing to run into those problems.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
that's an artifact of not having a hardware cursor and lmde not supporting the expose event on its own window

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

that's an artifact of not having a hardware cursor and lmde not supporting the expose event on its own window

It was an artifact of ubuntu deciding that running two display managers at once was appropriate. I got rid of LXDE (which is garbage) and installed a daily build of LXQt from the Lubuntu repository and it works flawlessly

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

after using fedora I can see that ubuntu is terrible, slow, hacky garbage, but unlike fedora, it works

Also I fixed my wifi problem by yanking out the 7260 to RMA it and slotting in an atheros thing

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!

atomicthumbs posted:

It was an artifact of ubuntu deciding that running two display managers at once was appropriate. I got rid of LXDE (which is garbage) and installed a daily build of LXQt from the Lubuntu repository and it works flawlessly

lmao

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

after using fedora I can see that ubuntu is terrible, slow, hacky garbage, but unlike fedora, it works

Also I fixed my wifi problem by yanking out the 7260 to RMA it and slotting in an atheros thing

i thought ubuntu was the dead simple linux for idiots. it even works on windows

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Ah, that's more like it

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

well i formatted my os drive and threw on fedora 23. guess i'm jumping on the bandwagon. gnome has already locked up once when i was updating so I'll give it a month with gnome. Already tweaking it with the tweak tool. VPN integration is p nice. feels really professional.

i still have a /home partion from my old setup but I'm a bit wet behind the ears. if anyone lurking knows the quickest "redhat way" to use that as my home I'd appreciate it. otherwise the quick solution to me is just having it automount the drive and have a symbolic link on my ssd's /home

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

b0red posted:

well i formatted my os drive and threw on fedora 23. guess i'm jumping on the bandwagon. gnome has already locked up once when i was updating so I'll give it a month with gnome. Already tweaking it with the tweak tool. VPN integration is p nice. feels really professional.

i still have a /home partion from my old setup but I'm a bit wet behind the ears. if anyone lurking knows the quickest "redhat way" to use that as my home I'd appreciate it. otherwise the quick solution to me is just having it automount the drive and have a symbolic link on my ssd's /home

cp -R /mnt/old/home/b0red ~

b0red
Apr 3, 2013

atomicthumbs posted:

cp -R /mnt/old/home/b0red ~

eh I just said gently caress it and set it up right from the get go with a reinstall. takes all of 3 minutes.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

atomicthumbs posted:

Ah, that's more like it

nice jrpg

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

atomicthumbs posted:

Ah, that's more like it

you on redstar linux or something?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Just kidding.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

atomicthumbs posted:

Just kidding.

oh god what a lovely looking os ugh blech

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

akadajet posted:

you on redstar linux or something?

which reminds me, RMS should go on another Best Korea holiday to let Dear Leader refresh his lunix and GNU/FREEDOM skillz

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

after like two weeks of Linux Ordeals, I finally have torch-rnn working with an OpenCL backend on my 7870, and the easiest part of it was installing the proprietary drivers. Hail closed software.
code:
                        LYUMAX
        Stot cla-cing. Yewhem it, pittire.
        Fron lako fird lang to stuming oke. Maverick mom looking dilll of
        eaching,
        MARS on be-for this off'ous
        in for the scrust.
        MaN shaw
        in the siswes his franming I krons. He down, the
        sbips him. He goorgagr the lark I dent. He and the "Oxks is and
        nused.

I COU GET. (UR B-YEUDL YOU RPINH
        A
Mid gess the
        reGamsses oug on with fo.
        The grufing looks out one enging
        matexper the sporrs you?

MAVERICK
        He!

Uly dill, No.  WHe roor coul Gowl.
                        MAVERICK

Byangs?

MAVERICK
        MAO?

WOLLIS -
        THOWED REOAL WOOD CKOCKE PING.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i honestly didn't know xview was open sourced so long ago

yeah, I think it was part of X11R4, specifically to attempt to stall Motif because Motif required commercial libraries

I've been looking at XView a bit lately to see about building an Open Look Twitter app

I should just need OpenSSL, libcurl, and some basic OAuth library atop them (SQLite too if I want persistence)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Just kidding.

holy poo poo

:black101:

where do I get and how do I use pls

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

holy poo poo

:black101:

where do I get and how do I use pls

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/System+6+xfwm?content=44819&PHPSESSID=932b029

install to /usr/share/themes or something

disadvantage: you have to use xfwm

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

Just kidding.

what's it look like with Chicago 12 as the font?

can you force it to use the bitmap version?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

there's also mlvwm, the macintosh-like virtual window manager, which comes with an apple-style menu and would be perfect except for the fact that it's from 2000 and not designed to coexist with an actual desktop environment, so my desktop and panel end up in separate windows

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

what's it look like with Chicago 12 as the font?

can you force it to use the bitmap version?

it looks ok. about like you'd imagine with truetype. and if you have the bitmap version I'll take it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

atomicthumbs posted:

http://xfce-look.org/content/show.php/System+6+xfwm?content=44819&PHPSESSID=932b029

install to /usr/share/themes or something

disadvantage: you have to use xfwm

NICE !!