Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Japanese restaurants are generally very good for eating alone imo, and you can find one to fit any budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

I'll be spending a long weekend in London with my mother, who has celiac disease and is intimidated by very posh things. One of the things I'd like to do is take her for a traditional-but-not-too-fancy afternoon tea, and obviously it needs to be gluten free. Any ideas?

Also, how difficult is it to find gluten free food in general? Does the average restaurant mark gluten free options on their menus?

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

jkk posted:

I'll be spending a long weekend in London with my mother, who has celiac disease and is intimidated by very posh things. One of the things I'd like to do is take her for a traditional-but-not-too-fancy afternoon tea, and obviously it needs to be gluten free. Any ideas?

Also, how difficult is it to find gluten free food in general? Does the average restaurant mark gluten free options on their menus?

I have no idea where you'd get gluten free afternoon tea. Most restaurants don't mark GF on menus. Your best bet would be to select a couple of places and call them in advance. Some places will be difficult, like Chinese and Japanese which use soya sauce.

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
More and more places do mark their gluten free options. You should be absolutely fine when it comes to breakfast, lunch and dinner options. Just look at the kind of places you're interested in and look at whether their online menus indicate it. I've never cared for afternoon tea and wouldn't know about that, though.

Lady Gaza
Nov 20, 2008

but the main point of afternoon tea is delicious gluten-filled cakes

pantsfree
Oct 22, 2012

jkk posted:

I know both Ottolenghi and Dishoom have a seperate gluten free menu you can ask for. If you can't find a GF traditional afternoon tea, Ottolenghi's selection of cakes and desserts actually could be a pretty good option as many of them are gluten free (and delicious). There's also Niche in Islington that was visited by a coeliac friend which is apparently very good.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

Thanks for the suggestions! Will check out Ottolenghi, and probably Niche too :)

Yeah, I get that the point of afternoon tea is delicious cakes. She was diagnosed 20 years ago and she rarely gets to have delicious cakes unless she makes them herself (she's not bad at gluten free baking, though), so I'm determined to find a place where she can have some nice choices, instead of just getting the one gluten free thing on the menu.

angor
Nov 14, 2003
teen angst
Claridge’s has a gluten free option for their high tea.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Went to Grill on the Market for a friend's birthday. We shared a chateaubriand and it was some of the most delicious steak I've tasted. I also had an apple tart with a gorgeous salted caramel sauce that tasted like Werther's Originals.

I also stayed for a couple of drinks and found their all-day Saturday 2-for-1 a very good deal, with a nice selection of cocktails. I tried a carrot cake martini and a cherry and thyme drink. Both were pretty good, though the cherry one was very sweet.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
HK Diner has closed! They did one of my favourite dishes (five spice beef brisket), and now I'll have to search Chinatown menus again looking for it.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
My partner's parents are coming to London as part of is mum's 60th birthday celebrations. She's asked us to find "somewhere nice" to eat on Friday but hasn't given us much direction. We're tempted to go for Bocca for some solid, good quality dining but I was hoping to get some recommendations for places that are a bit more unique/unusual/very 'London' that we could check out since they're coming from a little town near Leeds with not much diversity. It'd be nice to maybe arrange something that's a bit more of an experience.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I often find that when people think they want something 'a bit London' they don't actually want all that off the wall.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
I didn't necessarily mean off the wall, just something a bit unusual that you probably wouldn't find in a little town. For example I have been looking at Kopapa because it has an interesting take on the idea of fusion food. Or there are places that have unusual views - I've been to a restaurant near London City airport where you could see planes taking off. Just something that has a uniqueness to it, not necessarily a weirdness.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
Duck & Waffle maybe?

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

It feels like there is a wahaca on every street now, they are everywhere

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Bollock Monkey posted:

I didn't necessarily mean off the wall, just something a bit unusual that you probably wouldn't find in a little town. For example I have been looking at Kopapa because it has an interesting take on the idea of fusion food. Or there are places that have unusual views - I've been to a restaurant near London City airport where you could see planes taking off. Just something that has a uniqueness to it, not necessarily a weirdness.

I'm thinking of higher-end Asian food: they probably know curry house Asian and cheapish standard Chinese (I know I'm being patronising but probably right), but they don't know food like Hakkasan, Yauatcha, Cinnamon Club etc. Otherwise London classics like Sheekey's

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.

Bollock Monkey posted:

Kopapa and its sister restaurant Providores are off the hook, love them.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

therattle posted:

I'm thinking of higher-end Asian food: they probably know curry house Asian and cheapish standard Chinese (I know I'm being patronising but probably right), but they don't know food like Hakkasan, Yauatcha, Cinnamon Club etc. Otherwise London classics like Sheekey's

gymkhana might be a good option if it is in the right price range.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

London doughnut chat.

I don't like St.John doughnuts. Give me a Crosstown doughnut instead any day.

Deliveroo me a Crosstown doughnut, cycleman.

Brand New Malaysian Wife
Apr 5, 2007
I encourage children who are bullied to kill themselves. In fact, I get off to it. Pedophilia-snuff films are the best. More abused children need to kill themselves.
I had a donut from the yellow door on Columbia Road a few weeks ago, was epic.

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Cheers for the suggestions, guys. They're pretty well-travelled and we've taken them for good curry and Chinese, but it occurred to us that Ethiopian/Eritrean/something along these lines could be a good shout! Any recommendations?

Scratch that, birthday girl is running the London marathon the day after and doesn't want to risk "anything too spicy."

Booked at The Petite Corée.

Bollock Monkey fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Apr 18, 2016

Horse Clocks
Dec 14, 2004

Bollock Monkey posted:

Cheers for the suggestions, guys. They're pretty well-travelled and we've taken them for good curry and Chinese, but it occurred to us that Ethiopian/Eritrean/something along these lines could be a good shout! Any recommendations?

The only Ethiopian I've had, or ever had recommended, was http://www.lalibelarestaurant.co.uk/

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Horse Clocks posted:

The only Ethiopian I've had, or ever had recommended, was http://www.lalibelarestaurant.co.uk/

Nah, not even close.

Gojo, Ladbroke Grove, or Zeret Kitchen are where it's at.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

Horse Clocks posted:

That's not even the best one on Fortress Road. Queen of Sheba down towards Kentish Town is much better.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Finally went to trullo in Highbury on Sunday. It was really loving good but a little spendy. For 3 of us, 3 courses a bottle of wine + coffee was 145 including service.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Vanilla Black tomorrow! Anyone else had their lunch? It looks astoundingly cheap.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011

Kaiho posted:

Vanilla Black tomorrow! Anyone else had their lunch? It looks astoundingly cheap.

We did Vanilla Black two-ish years ago and were massively disappointed: the service was unenthusiastic and the food was very tasteless. We didn't even finish our main course before giving up and asking for the bill but, at least to their credit, they totally got that they'd massively undelivered and took it on the chin. Honestly think there's far better vegetarian places in London to go to these days.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Going back to London after a few years away, just for a weekend. Will be me and a few carnivorous friends in and around Camden, any recommendations?

Hache is definitely on the list, unless they suddenly became crap, but beyond that I'm a wee bit lost.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Spuckuk posted:

Going back to London after a few years away, just for a weekend. Will be me and a few carnivorous friends in and around Camden, any recommendations?

Hache is definitely on the list, unless they suddenly became crap, but beyond that I'm a wee bit lost.

Inverness Street, which Hache is on has a bunch of good restaurants, there's Ma Petite Jamaica (Caribbean), Made in Brasil (Brazilian), Bar Gansa (tapas), Bayou, a surprisingly decent Cajun/Creole place (and as someone who lived in Louisiana, that's praise), Zen Sai, a pan-asian bar/restaurant...

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

The_Doctor posted:

Inverness Street, which Hache is on has a bunch of good restaurants, there's Ma Petite Jamaica (Caribbean), Made in Brasil (Brazilian), Bar Gansa (tapas), Bayou, a surprisingly decent Cajun/Creole place (and as someone who lived in Louisiana, that's praise), Zen Sai, a pan-asian bar/restaurant...

Thanks for this!

pointsofdata posted:

It feels like there is a wahaca on every street now, they are everywhere

Hell, they opened one up here in Liverpool a few months back.

Kaiho
Dec 2, 2004

Spuckuk posted:

You're much better off going to one of the Meat* group places for a burger. Seriously.

kim jong-illin posted:

We did Vanilla Black two-ish years ago and were massively disappointed: the service was unenthusiastic and the food was very tasteless. We didn't even finish our main course before giving up and asking for the bill but, at least to their credit, they totally got that they'd massively undelivered and took it on the chin. Honestly think there's far better vegetarian places in London to go to these days.

Completely the opposite experience from what I had in the end! Very attentive if somewhat too shy service (they could advise on what a goddamned Ribblesdale pudding is, I'm a foreigner!) and everything was fresh, vibrant and tasty.

Kaiho fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Apr 27, 2016

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Kaiho posted:

You're much better off going to one of the Meat* group places for a burger. Seriously.

I respectfully disagree. Last time I went to one of the Meat* places I went away very disappointed.

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

Bibigo near angel is pretty impressive for the price. Dodgy service but good food and drinks.

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

Spuckuk posted:

Although it's not on the top of my recommendation list for places to eat in London, if you want some live music with your food the Camden Blues Kitchen has some surprisingly solid BBQ.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Artificial Idiocy posted:

Although it's not on the top of my recommendation list for places to eat in London, if you want some live music with your food the Camden Blues Kitchen has some surprisingly solid BBQ.

Oh, I've been meaning to check that place out. Bodean's is my go to, but DAE find their food cold a lot of the time?

sweek0
May 22, 2006

Let me fall out the window
With confetti in my hair
Deal out jacks or better
On a blanket by the stairs
I'll tell you all my secrets
But I lie about my past
Yeah Camden Blues Kitchen is alright and gets some pretty good acts. Prices are high but it's basically to compensate for the free live music.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

sweek0 posted:

Yeah Camden Blues Kitchen is alright and gets some pretty good acts. Prices are high but it's basically to compensate for the free live music.

Went for the work Christmas party, great hot wings, and the doughnut oreos we're worth feeling like a fat piece of poo poo for.

On the Meat* places, I went to MeatLiquor by Oxford Circus because a few colleagues were doing the Dark Souls hot wing challenge and really liked it. Had their tower chicken burger equivalent and thought the meat was exceptional,

Artificial Idiocy
Jul 11, 2008

sweek0 posted:

Yeah, the regular price was pretty high for what it was, but I went a couple weeks ago to see my sister's band from Canada that was touring the UK, and they had some kind of ribfest running that was pretty good value. I think they have a cheap night each week too.

The_Doctor posted:

Oh, I've been meaning to check that place out. Bodean's is my go to, but DAE find their food cold a lot of the time?

I've only gotten takeaway with work lunches from Bodean's, so yes, but a colleague insisted I go to Red's True BBQ in Manchester with her when we were on a work trip which was pretty tasty. They've opened up a location in Shoreditch which might be worth a try.

Artificial Idiocy fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 29, 2016

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

BizarroAzrael posted:

Went for the work Christmas party, great hot wings, and the doughnut oreos we're worth feeling like a fat piece of poo poo for.

On the Meat* places, I went to MeatLiquor by Oxford Circus because a few colleagues were doing the Dark Souls hot wing challenge and really liked it. Had their tower chicken burger equivalent and thought the meat was exceptional,

This is a thing that I missed by not knowing about it and That, I regret.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

This is a thing that I missed by not knowing about it and That, I regret.

It finishes today! http://www.techtimes.com/articles/142946/20160321/prepare-to-dine-in-the-dark-souls-3-hot-wings-challenge.htm