Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Acne Rain posted:

The pop culture references they used were dated when the show was on the air
You can also argue that they're classic references. The episode I saw (second one) had a Honeymooners reference. I dunno, I've been on an old comedy phase lately because of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast. I liked what I saw and I'll keep going.

At its heart, it's a slapstick cartoon. Also, it was responsible for one of the first segments making fun of internet nerds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

HorseRenoir posted:

I don't think that Tiny Toons and Animaniacs have held up very well since the 90's. Maybe it's because the style of kids shows have changed so significantly since then, but they feel really dated and full of pop culture references that aren't that funny anymore.

I have a secret for you.
Looney Tunes were also chock full of pop culture references that were extremely dated by the time you ever saw them.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Animaniacs fukken owns

Thompsons
Aug 28, 2008

Ask me about onklunk extraction.
I still think some of Tiny Toons' better episodes were pretty fuckin funny but the problem is so much of the humor is dependent on how well the episode's animated, and they had like seven studios doing the episodes over the first season. Some of those intermediate episodes looked absolutely hideous.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Y-Hat posted:

Edit: If nothing else, the Yakko's Countries of the World song is still catchy as gently caress, even if it's a little outdated (no more Czechoslovakia) and if he pronounced Guyana incorrectly (it's not GEE-ana).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5t6Bg5CBjs

raditts posted:

I have a secret for you.
Looney Tunes were also chock full of pop culture references that were extremely dated by the time you ever saw them.
Do old "classic" cartoons still air anywhere these days? I think part of the difference between that Tiny Toons/Animaniacs era and now is that, when I was growing up in the '80s and '90s, there was never a time you didn't have 30+ year old Looney Toons episodes eating up an hour or two on some channel's Saturday morning schedule. Everyone knew about that older style, even if the pop culture references would fly right over kids' heads.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzY4ZuwQxk

It feels like we reached a tipping point where there's enough content being produced that kids don't have to grow up with the obligatory UHF channel running Gilligan's Island or Andy Griffith, even with cable and Netflix providing hundreds more channels and options than we had just 20 years ago.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Yeah, it becomes really apparent with that recent Pee Wee Herman netflix movie that the idea of the 50s as outdated and unreal culture that is the opposite of modernity is totally lost from media everywhere. Kids 20 years ago knew the world that existed in old tv shows, but now nobody knows those shows. "The past" is now 1980-1990.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

FronzelNeekburm posted:

Do old "classic" cartoons still air anywhere these days? I think part of the difference between that Tiny Toons/Animaniacs era and now is that, when I was growing up in the '80s and '90s, there was never a time you didn't have 30+ year old Looney Toons episodes eating up an hour or two on some channel's Saturday morning schedule. Everyone knew about that older style, even if the pop culture references would fly right over kids' heads.

There's Boomerang, but honestly they're so inundated with cartoons from the 90s and even the 2000s that the really old stuff like Looney Tunes only airs a little and at odd times.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

FronzelNeekburm posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5t6Bg5CBjs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vfzY4ZuwQxk

It feels like we reached a tipping point where there's enough content being produced that kids don't have to grow up with the obligatory UHF channel running Gilligan's Island or Andy Griffith, even with cable and Netflix providing hundreds more channels and options than we had just 20 years ago.

Cartoon Network and Boomerang show an hour of Looney Tunes every day.

But yeah, I'd say we reached the tipping point you're talking about sometime around the turn of the century, where cable became more commonplace and cable channels started producing more original content, along with all the independent uhf stations being eaten up by UPN / WB at the time.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
Hey nobody cares but after rewatching that Clarence episode, Jeff says Mom not Aunt.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I've never even visited a place that had boomerang available. I've never met anyone who's even seen it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

It's been on every cable lineup I've had over the last 10 years, across two states. So... I dunno?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I have the option of getting it but I don't.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I tried to revisit Tiny Toons a little while back, and it was pretty disappointing, The thing that really killed it for me was the whole school of comedy schtick where they kept on telling you something was funny instead of just being funny. There's some good stuff in there, but there's a lot more forgettable garbage. The old Looney Tunes definitely holds up a lot better, but it's unfair to compare the two, since the latter was made on a much better budget, and intended for a wider audience.

It is a little weird that with how Looney Tunes keeps getting brought out again and again with a new coat of paint to be relevant in the modern world, the first attempt to do such is just left to stew in the archives, but whatever.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

SlothfulCobra posted:

It is a little weird that with how Looney Tunes keeps getting brought out again and again with a new coat of paint to be relevant in the modern world, the first attempt to do such is just left to stew in the archives, but whatever.

Sometimes, leaving a show to stew in the archives forever is the best option.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Jack Gladney posted:

I've never even visited a place that had boomerang available. I've never met anyone who's even seen it.

I've had it, about 3+ years ago they stopped showing much classic cartoons and its mostly re-runs for Cartoon Network programs that were 5-8 years old so Ben10 and Chowder.

And Swat Kats. Swat Kats rules.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

They rebranded sometime last year as well and threw out all the retro-60s aesthetic and all those short animations they used to have between shows in favor of giving the channel a younger focus.

I imagine they found that the demographics for classic H-B cartoons are much different now from when they pitched the concept for CN in 1990.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I remember CN back in the late 90s/early 00s and how great it was late at night because they constantly showed the stupidest poo poo H-B cartoons. Like the one where Gary Coleman was dead.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

raditts posted:

They rebranded sometime last year as well and threw out all the retro-60s aesthetic and all those short animations they used to have between shows in favor of giving the channel a younger focus.

I imagine they found that the demographics for classic H-B cartoons are much different now from when they pitched the concept for CN in 1990.

They made a Boomerang 2 that has all the original Boomerang stuff on it now.

Or maybe I'm just thinking of their VOD service.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

raditts posted:

I think phasing out the HB cartoons would have happened regardless of the demographics. CN had no money during the 90's, so most of the weird stuff people remember fondly from that era was the result of them trying to repackage Turner's old library of cartoons in creative ways so people would watch them. I kinda miss that super low budget fly-by-night aspect of CN, but I'm not that surprised that the feeling is gone now that CN is an established network with a large budget.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So apparently one of the leaked episodes of the Powerpuff reboot has a trans character used as a punchline.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

muscles like this? posted:

I remember CN back in the late 90s/early 00s and how great it was late at night because they constantly showed the stupidest poo poo H-B cartoons. Like the one where Gary Coleman was dead.

I liked all the really bad crossover shows where they just mashed together every Hanna-Barbera character in what I can only assume began as repeated attempts to recapture the popularity of Wacky Races. Laff-a-lympics (featuring renamed, recolored versions of Dastardly and Muttley because I guess they somehow lost the license to their own characters?), Yogi's Space Race, Yogi's Gang, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, and loving Yo Yogi.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pakled posted:

I liked all the really bad crossover shows where they just mashed together every Hanna-Barbera character in what I can only assume began as repeated attempts to recapture the popularity of Wacky Races. Laff-a-lympics (featuring renamed, recolored versions of Dastardly and Muttley because I guess they somehow lost the license to their own characters?), Yogi's Space Race, Yogi's Gang, Yogi's Treasure Hunt, and loving Yo Yogi.

After Scooby Doo became a hit, they had literally a dozen different shows where the premise was "group of teenagers plus wacky sidekick/titular character". Pretty much all of them were bad and never seen again.

I think my favorite one was this one with a werewolf who could change by looking at photographs of the sun or moon.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Waffleman_ posted:

So apparently one of the leaked episodes of the Powerpuff reboot has a trans character used as a punchline.

That sucks. Seems kind of inevitable though. Like, the premise of the show is GENDER ROLES but it's not being written by women's studies majors so it's probably gonna run aground over and over with these kinds of topics.

I dunno if that sounds like I'm demeaning feminism or anything. I'm not. But people who aren't passionate about these issues can't talk for too long about them without saying something that will ruffle feathers.

Edit: just want to make it clear I'm not trying to make excuses for transphobia!!! I don't know the text for the joke but they should have known better.

Bass Bottles fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Apr 3, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Waffleman_ posted:

So reading the brief episode descriptions I have found, I assume the character is the Pony that wants to be a Unicorn and gets turn into a monster? Or is it something else because I am not finding anything else about this.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I don't think it's really a joke at the expense of trans people ????

https://www.facebook.com/CartoonNetwork/videos/10153497839078372/

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
First comment I saw: someone claiming this reboot is ruining their childhood.

Third comment: someone botching about TTG

:allears:

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Buttercups new voice is weird as hell

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

oh, is Twitter flipping their poo poo over something new today

Flobbster
Feb 17, 2005

"Cadet Kirk, after the way you cheated on the Kobayashi Maru test I oughta punch you in tha face!"

axleblaze posted:

And they were wearing a bright red anime wig, naturally.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

axleblaze posted:

First comment I saw: someone claiming this reboot is ruining their childhood.

:allears:

I like that people don't yet realize that complaining about Teen Titans Go is what gives it its strength.

And I hope they never do, I love when TTG just mocks them.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I think TTG currently has at least five episodes devoted to trolling the people that hate it.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
I am Co-President of the comic book club at my university, Teen Titans Go is the weapon I wield.

By that I mean whenever anyone brings up Young Justice I relate it back to something from TTG. It never ceases to piss people off. Its glorious.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

That just sounds like five extra meh episodes on something that already suffers from too much replay.

Just count me another person that's not all that bothered by TTG except in that they run it an insane amount, without the actual episode catalog to make it reasonable. Like thinking of it related to another 'channel juggernaut' show, at the very least if Spongebob was on a crazy amount (Maybe it is, I haven't looked at Nick in a while) then at least that has a huge episode vault to pull from.

CuddlyZombie posted:

I agree, we need even more TTG episodes.

If they keep playing it this much, then yeah that'd be nice :v:

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Apr 4, 2016

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I agree, we need even more TTG episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

computer parts posted:

After Scooby Doo became a hit, they had literally a dozen different shows where the premise was "group of teenagers plus wacky sidekick/titular character". Pretty much all of them were bad and never seen again.

I think my favorite one was this one with a werewolf who could change by looking at photographs of the sun or moon.

It was hilarious how lazy they were. I think the laziest was Speed Buggy where the characters were literally just slightly redrawn Scooby Doo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

muscles like this? posted:

It was hilarious how lazy they were. I think the laziest was Speed Buggy where the characters were literally just slightly redrawn Scooby Doo.

The best part of that fad was the episode of Mystery Inc. that had Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, and the ghost guy.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
The episode of Johnny Bravo that had the Scooby Doo crossover brought me more entertainment than every episode of Scooby Doo I've ever seen combined.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"My glasses, my glasses! I can't be seen without my glasses!"

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Pakled posted:

The episode of Johnny Bravo that had the Scooby Doo crossover brought me more entertainment than every episode of Scooby Doo I've ever seen combined.

Look as this scrub that's never seen Mystery Inc :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

axleblaze posted:

Look as this scrub that's never seen Mystery Inc :smug:

Isn't that the show with the evil Nazi parrot with robot minions rejected from Wolfenstein who wanted to unleash not-Cthulhu?

Edit: in case anyone calls BS, I'm not joking. That actually happened.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 4, 2016