Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
LMGs and Shotguns are actually perfectly good/great in The Division. A lot of enemies don't know what the gently caress to do to you if you roll up real close, and shotguns can do a lot of damage if you do. LMGs can sustain fire way more accurately than assault rifles and are great for suppressing elites so teammates can chip at them with sniper rifles

There's really not a whole hell of a lot about the game that isn't super straightforward. The only thing that is worth knowing is that you can make a second character, get them to the HQ, and then use them as a weapons parts mule. When you're at 30 and grinding for parts, put a purple in the box, swap to your level 5 character, sell it, then buy as many of the cheapest green as you can, then store them. Deconstructing a purple will get you two blue weapon parts, but selling it on a level 5 and buying a ton of cheap guns will get you 5+ times that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

drat Dirty Ape posted:

This is good advice since I did all the sidequest poo poo and burnt out pretty bad.

Also, there is some of that Dark Souls kind of 'if you don't do this thing you won't be able to do this other thing later' stuff in this game, so if that bothers you I'd suggest reading some guides and spoilers.

Yeaaaaah, I fiddled around for a bit until the first Hydra fight, where I bugged out and got stuck in the Hydra's mouth unable to do anything while my pawns merrily chattered on. I had to reset and ended up restarting at the rift point right before the 15 minutes I spent making my own unique pawn in the character creator.

I then refunded and just bought Tomb Raider instead. Maybe some other time, DD. :shrug:

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

HairyManling posted:

I appreciate the recommendation. I've already played Bravely, however. I've just been looking for something to play while I wait for DS3 to come out.

Ok, thanks for all of this. I appreciate you answering my questions.

As for not playing or getting a refund - I didn't buy the game. Was going through my sons shoebox of old games and found the DS cart at the bottom. I think it's the only FF out of 1-7 that I never played. It sounds horrible from the way you describe. I'll see how far I can get before I rage quit.
I bought FF3 DS at an airport because I had forgotten all my DS games and was going on holiday for two weeks. I got as far as a dungeon where you get shrunk and the indignity of having the poo poo kicked out of me by woodland insects was too much. I spent the rest of that holiday reading books.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
I'm usually against advice like "don't play it" when someone asks about a game, but in the case of Final Fantasy III DS, it's completely justified. It's bad. Embarrassingly so. It's a shame, though, because there's a good game in there somewhere, it just needed a sane person in charge of the mechanics. As it is now, I consider it one of the few games I've played to have the distinction of being unplayable not due to bugs in the software. It's bad by design.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I don't know what you people are talking about, I beat the poo poo out of FF3DS without grinding or anything like that. It's not that bad. The final boss gauntlet sucks, from what I've heard, but I don't recall it breaking my spirit or anything (can you leave the dungeon at any point? Maybe that's what I did, no idea). I found FF4DS worse.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Morpheus posted:

The final boss gauntlet sucks, from what I've heard

:raise:

So did you finish the game or not?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

The White Dragon posted:

:raise:

So did you finish the game or not?

Let me reword it: I beat the entire game, but other people say that the final boss gauntlet sucks. This is not a problem I remember having.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Oh ok. In my experience, it was the entire game that sucks, because they barely reworked the player damage formulas at all. Your damage output is what it was originally in FF3-NES, but bosses who would've had maybe 3000-4000 HP now have 30,000+. Because it's hardcore, you see.

It's also because turn order is completely random. Yes, your action order is (Agility * 2 + (random(0,Agility)) - weight, but afaik enemies don't actually have an agility stat and can just take their turns loving whenever.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Fat Samurai posted:

Got Star Ruler 2 while waiting for Stellaria. It's pretty different from other 4x games I've played. Any tips?

Okay, SR2 is big and as you say, quite different from most in the genre. With the caveat that I am by no means an expert, here's a few pointers;

Each racial type plays differently to a greater or lesser degree. For example Mechanoids don't breed, they build more of themselves. Stick with Terrakin at first to familiarize yourself with the game, they've got nothing fancy going on.

Similarly, there are multiple types of FTL in the game, and you do need to familiarize yourself with those, because even if you're only using one, other races will be using others. Also be aware that 'FTL' exists and is a global resource, so you'll need to manage that. Briefly;

Hyperdrive involves sticking a jump drive onto your ships and boosting them at very high, but not instant, speeds across space. This allows for great maneuverability because it doesn't depend on any external infrastructure other than your FTL resource.

Slipstream lets you rip open temporary wormholes through which ships can move instantly. Powerful for moving fleets long distances, but it takes time to charge up, and the far end can be seen before it opens, allowing enemies to react and ambush you. Also slipstream holes can be used by anyone. For attacking, fire the far end at interstellar space near your target system, but not inside it.

Fling Beacons are basically gigantic cannons that fire ships away from them. No matter what you send, or how far, it will arrive 10 seconds after being fired, and I believe cost only depends on the mass of what you're firing, not distance, so they tend to be FTL-cheap. These are great for attackers because you can just fire your fleets at the enemy system and unlike Slipstream they won't see you coming. However, you'll have to either build another one at the other end or slowboat home.

Gates are, well, gates. They are permanent stable connections, and a ship entering any gate of yours can jump to any other gate instantly. Gates can only be used by the empire that built them; they can't be subverted, stolen, or otherwise used by anyone else (including allies I believe). The Gate stations themselves can be destroyed or boarded as usual, but if boarded, the gate is no longer connected to your network. Gate can be packed up and (slowly) moved as well, so you don't have to build them all in their final destination systems. Finally, they have an FTL cost when you unpack one, and a small static FTL cost per open gate. Overall I find these the most powerful and useful, but I'm a turtle player.

Okay other things to note;

Several global resources might not have income of any kind at game start, most notably Influence and Research. You do want to secure those in a timely manner, but it is typically not critical on normal play if you can't get it going right away, especially as you can often substitute one resource for another, such as buying a tech with cash.

Planets depend on resources to level up. Leveling planets up is absolutely vital to success because more people means more income and more potential for resources like energy, research, and influence. A Level 0 planet (i.e. newly colonized) can only house 1 billion people and is a drain on your economy. Hitting level 1 requires a source of food and water. Often it's not worth leveling a food or water exporting planet; focus on the Tier I, II, and III resource worlds, your homeworld, and anything special you might come across that benefits from as higher planet level. FTL Crystals are a good example there, the higher the level, the higher your FTL income. Basically you will be constructing big hierarchical pyramids of worlds, where you export food and water to Tier I planets, Tier I resources, food, and water to Tier II planets, and basically all levels of resources to a couple of high-level worlds. (Make sure to build a Taxation Center on a couple of high-pop worlds, makes a huge difference to income.)

That's a bit overwhelming at first and forms probably the most important thing you need to wrap your head around. If you're having trouble I would recommend setting up a game with plenty of systems and not many enemies, just so you've got some time to sandbox around and get the hang of it all.

Finally, a note about money and income. It operates on three-minute cycles, per the bar at the top left. You do not just get your Income - Costs each cycle, as you might expect, so you can't save up for big expenses. Rather, the amount that comes in is the whole amount you have that cycle, and it will all be wiped away clean when the next cycle ticks, at which point you will have the new amount. (Which you can preview just above the time controls). This is a little complicated but I'll try to give an example to clarify things:

Suppose you have income of $500 and no expenses. Your first cycle will see you have $500 to spend.
Spend $100 on something that has no maintenance cost. You now have $400.
Now the budget cycle ticks, and you are back up to $500 to spend. That is because the amount of you have to spend is dictated per cycle by Income minus your Costs.
Second cycle, you spend $200 on something that also has $400 Maintenance costs. You now have $300 to spend in the rest of this cycle.
Now the budget cycle ticks. You now have $100 to spend. Where did that $200 go? It vanished into the ether. This is a lot less obnoxious than you might expect once you get used to it, but it will take some getting used to.

This also means you will frequently go into and come out of debt, especially in the early game, when you do things which have an immediate cost but not an immediate benefit. Colonization is the obvious example. Don't worry about debt too much unless it becomes persistent, and remember the best way to fix it is, 90% of the time, to grow your population.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Anyone got tips for Orcs must die: Unchained? I never played a MOBA before, and feel kinda lost.

Draile
May 6, 2004

forlorn llama

The White Dragon posted:

Oh ok. In my experience, it was the entire game that sucks, because they barely reworked the player damage formulas at all. Your damage output is what it was originally in FF3-NES, but bosses who would've had maybe 3000-4000 HP now have 30,000+. Because it's hardcore, you see.

It's also because turn order is completely random. Yes, your action order is (Agility * 2 + (random(0,Agility)) - weight, but afaik enemies don't actually have an agility stat and can just take their turns loving whenever.

Final Fantasy III was extraordinarily ambitious for its time. There is a very good game hiding in the original version, but what we now recognize as significant balance, design, and technical issues harm it. The DS remake could have fixed all of those things. Incredibly, the remake made all of them dramatically worse.

Stay far away from Final Fantasy III DS.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Xander77 posted:

I never played a MOBA before, and feel kinda lost.
General MOBA tips:
1) Always type glhf at the beginning of a match. This means, get lost horse fucker. Feel free to type out the whole thing, but this eats into your precious apms.
2) Always type gg at the end of the match. This means get good. See above.
3) Constantly type leave in global chat. This lets both your teammates and your opponents know that you are still playing.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I feel like I must have played a completely different FFIII DS because whilst I do regard it as the weakest FF (at least until XII happened) it wasn't a bad game, just a bit bland.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Ok, I loving hate FF3 at this point. I've played my fair share of bullshit games (Life Force, I'm looking at you) but this game is just straight up "gently caress off everything that was ever wrong with any RPG ever made" levels of bullshit. I'm so irritated right now I can't even articulate what I hate about it most. Tower of Owen can go gently caress itself with an Onion Blade.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

I really tried to love FF3 on DS since it was my first DS RPG, but I don't have any other advice to add other than echoing "put it away". Any one of the other Jobs Final Fantasy games would be better. You said you played Bravely Default, so why not give Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light a try. It has its strengths and weaknesses like any other strongly flavored game, but it's definitely better than the giant gently caress You FFIII turned out to be.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

HairyManling posted:

Ok, I loving hate FF3 at this point. I've played my fair share of bullshit games (Life Force, I'm looking at you) but this game is just straight up "gently caress off everything that was ever wrong with any RPG ever made" levels of bullshit. I'm so irritated right now I can't even articulate what I hate about it most. Tower of Owen can go gently caress itself with an Onion Blade.

:unsmigghh:

paco650 posted:

so why not give Final Fantasy: The 4 Heroes of Light a try. It has its strengths and weaknesses like any other strongly flavored game, but it's definitely better than the giant gently caress You FFIII turned out to be.

Yeah, I liked 4HL. It has a kind of major flaw, though: it does level scaling, but enemies outpace the rate at which your stats grow. It's not bad until about 30, and then it gets absolutely hellish by 50. You were supposed to counteract this by upgrading your equipment, but it caps at +10, which will maybe bring you to even at level 40.

The problem is twofold: the reason it caps is because they decided to hide the means of raising that cap in the obviously-an-afterthought 100-floor random dungeons. If that wasn't enough, it's actually really hard to get the right resources to level your equipment up without grinding enemies. It's a feedback loop of gently caress you.

Bobfly
Apr 22, 2007
EGADS!

Mister Adequate posted:

Here's how Star Ruler 2 works:

This is a really good post. Good job.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Zombi (Zombi U) is one of the free PS+ games this month for PS4.

I heard it's real time, all the time, but what else should I know?

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Thanks for the tips.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Mister Adequate posted:

I feel like I must have played a completely different FFIII DS because whilst I do regard it as the weakest FF (at least until XII happened) it wasn't a bad game, just a bit bland.

I ended up beating it as well and my general memory is that it was okay. But I do remember repeating bosses frequently and just watching someone play the last half of the game it's all luck against some of these encounters as you pray they don't do their hit-everyone-for-half-health move over and over.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Anything for Salt and Sanctuary?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Mister Macys posted:

Keep a decent gun in your safehouse, along with a few medkits and grenades. You will die, but it's not the end. While you lose everything that survivor had, so long as you can get back to where you died alive and well, you can kill the newly-zombified guy you were just playing as and get all your poo poo back.

I don't know if Zombi does what ZombiU did, but it should, occasionally you'll also run into the zombified versions of other player's survivors. Kill them and you'll score whatever they were carrying at the time. Your stuff can't be stolen out from under you by another player or anything like that, it's just a copy.

Mid/late game you can find bigger BOB's (Bug-Out-Bags) that permanently increase your inventory. Even if you die, the next guy will still have the bigger bag.

Upgrade the pistol ASAP. Survivors always start with one and it stays upgraded between Survivors. (I think all weapons do, in case you completely lose a gun and have to go find it again).

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

RatHat posted:

You can roll through enemies during your invincibility frames. That means if you're fatrolling or the enemy is huge you need to be right up against them before rolling.

Most of the weapons come from transmutation at the alchemist, not finding them in the world.

Square followed by triangle will do a launcher move.

Some weapons have alternate combos if you hold up on the left stick while pressing square. Spears will do a spinning attack, for example.

The weapon Flint & Steel is bugged and will crash the game if you try to change rings with it equipped or if you try to use the stomp finisher on a prone enemy.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Mister Macys posted:

flare+molotov is the best way to take out big group of zombies

when you find it, the crossbow is probably the best weapon in the game for taking out single zombies at a time since it's completely silent and can kill in one hit.

Unless the PC version has changed it in some way then yes the melee combat is as bad and clunky as it looks and no there is no way to make it better.

Contingency Plan
Nov 23, 2007

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Unless the PC version has changed it in some way then yes the melee combat is as bad and clunky as it looks and no there is no way to make it better.

However, once you get the 'rhythm' of melee combat down it can be a very effective way to save ammo. Before long, I could simultaneously fight and kill multiple zombies with the cricket bat without getting hit. If you can corner one you can you hit the button repeatedly to bludgeon them to death before they've recovered from the last blow. This is especially useful against armoured zombies and the glowing red zombies that carry a gun upgrade.

About two-thirds through the game you will be trapped in a basement with a teleporting zombie with your minimap disabled. The zombie is not actually invincible, it's a boss fight and you're meant to fight, not run away.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

RatHat posted:

Tooling into light armor is foolhardy unless you are ready to upgrade any of the light armor which all of it is, at base, worse than the level 0 heavy gear.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.
Anything for the PSX version of Final Fantasy 1+2 that's not already on the wiki?

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
Do Not Play FFIII DS in 2016 are you loving crazy. It's the golden age of gaming and you're asking to play a bland halfassed rebake of an obsolete series of games from a publisher that just could not give less of a gently caress. I mean other people will suggest better games to cover you and your situation but anyone encouraging you to use any minutes of your life on this insulting poo poo is wrong.

HairyManling
Jul 20, 2011

No flipping.
Fun Shoe
Games > "What should I know before I play this game?" Don't play Final Fantasy III

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Kind of a modified "before" I play question, but steam apparently ate my hundred hour blind play save of Dark Souls. While I would love to put the time in again I am an adult so it took like months to do it the first time and I want a way to cream the early game.

So is there some early game stuff I can do to get powerful somewhat quickly?

Edwhirl
Jul 27, 2007

Cats are the best.

Danger Mahoney posted:

Kind of a modified "before" I play question, but steam apparently ate my hundred hour blind play save of Dark Souls. While I would love to put the time in again I am an adult so it took like months to do it the first time and I want a way to cream the early game.

You can rush through the graveyard next to firelink for the zweihander and wing spear. If you want to try rushing through the catacombs, you can pick up the eyes past the titanite demon and then get in the coffin to get the gravelord greatsword super early as well.

If sorcery is your thing, kill the hydra in darkroot and then go rescue Dusk. Then reload the area and pick up her gear for her hat (boosts magic damage) and rescue griggs and buy the bellowing dragoncrest ring to boost magic damage by a ton.

A simple bow and poison arrows (undead female merchant) can let you cheese a lot of enemies from a distance if you want little to no danger.

Edit: If you're willing to rely on a little luck, you can also get 10 humanity (to increase drop chance) and kill the black knight in darkroot as well. He has a chance to drop the black knight halberd which is a pretty good weapon that can easily carry you through the entire game. One-time only though, so it relies on luck (or restarting a bunch).

Edwhirl fucked around with this message at 10:53 on Apr 2, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe
There's also the bit fairly early on when you go along the lower level of a bridge, underneath a dragon. If look carefully you can see the dragon's tail dangling down, and if you fire a bunch of arrows into it, it will drop the Drake Sword, which is a pretty powerful 1h sword for the early game.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Geektox posted:

Anything for the PSX version of Final Fantasy 1+2 that's not already on the wiki?

Everything is sound for the first game, it's basically a hump until you hit a certain point then you steamroll everything. FF2 is easier and straightforward. You'll read a lot of tips about grinding by attacking yourself in-battle but I found that wholly unnecessary. Just playing the game naturally kept me advancing just fine.

Steve Shultz
Jul 6, 2007
The ELIJAH LIST, spamming your inbox for the lord.

Danger Mahoney posted:

There are a couple of routes to get to the blacksmith early which really makes the early game a lot easier. Taking lots of those areas from behind is far easier than coming the normal route.
Take the masker key.

Either:
once you are nearly at the Taurus demon, go through the door at the bottom of his tower, down the stairway, panic and run past Havel, out past the crystal golems and up the cliffs, throw a couple of fire pots at the vine man monster, run past the lightening demon and you are the blacksmith.
Or slightly harder is to head down to the ghost place (new londo) use the key to go to the valley of the drakes, run past sleeping dragon (or do a couple of death runs to get the gear past him) and try make it to the elevator at the end of that pathway (you'll have to find a way to get past the drakes which can be tricky, but they can be goaded into flying up in the air or falling off the side) and that takes you to the base of the darkroot cliffs where you can do the same as above.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

I picked up the Uncharted collection. I see stuff on the wiki for Uncharted 1. Anything I should know for 2 or 3?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
The crossbow in 2 is the easiest way to kill the super tough guys.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Edwhirl posted:

You can rush through the graveyard next to firelink for the zweihander and wing spear. If you want to try rushing through the catacombs, you can pick up the eyes past the titanite demon and then get in the coffin to get the gravelord greatsword super early as well.

If sorcery is your thing, kill the hydra in darkroot and then go rescue Dusk. Then reload the area and pick up her gear for her hat (boosts magic damage) and rescue griggs and buy the bellowing dragoncrest ring to boost magic damage by a ton.

A simple bow and poison arrows (undead female merchant) can let you cheese a lot of enemies from a distance if you want little to no danger.

Edit: If you're willing to rely on a little luck, you can also get 10 humanity (to increase drop chance) and kill the black knight in darkroot as well. He has a chance to drop the black knight halberd which is a pretty good weapon that can easily carry you through the entire game. One-time only though, so it relies on luck (or restarting a bunch).

Definitely recommend sorcery, at least in Dark Souls 1 it's way too good in both PvE and PvP. A lot of bosses can't really do anything about getting shot from afar.

Probottt
Dec 15, 2013
Any tips for Breath of Fire III?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Probottt posted:

Any tips for Breath of Fire III?

Look up a guide to get through the desert. The translation is wrong and following the guys directions will get you lost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

1337kutkufan6969
Feb 13, 2010

Oh, Yian Kut Ku!
Where have you been all my life?
Let me break your head.

Grimey Drawer

Orvin posted:

I picked up the Uncharted collection. I see stuff on the wiki for Uncharted 1. Anything I should know for 2 or 3?

Try not to lose your poo poo and give up on the franchise when you get to that loving guy on the train. Actually, giving up is okay.