Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

FrozenVent posted:

No way Nepal is going to give a permit to a 12 year old this year, they need a successful season so the rich idiots will start coming back.

Article says he wants to climb from the Tibet side, to the north.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

quote:

Tyler is raising money to help cure a rare disorder called Duchenne muscular dystrophy

"I don't often give money to charity, but when I do it's because somebody wants to spend 50k on a mountain climb"

Do charities actually see any of this money?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Sanguinary Novel posted:

Second, Tyler is guaranteed to grow up

Let me stop you right there.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Kid slice of life stuff is often dialed back to a 8-12yo reading level for use in the classroom.

Hopefully with teachers with the presence of mind to color it completely insane.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Could have sworn it was a girl

STOP LITTERING
Sep 11, 2005

Who carry the gear for the trip... and let's face it probably piggyback lil Tyler as well whenever a camera isn't out.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
As a reformed precocious shithead child, holy poo poo I hate precocious shithead children

That said I don't want him to die - I just hope he has people around him that stop him from dying in his attempt like that idiot Canadian woman. And at least he's done some preparation by climbing other mountains.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

webmeister posted:

As a reformed precocious shithead child, holy poo poo I hate precocious shithead children

That said I don't want him to die - I just hope he has people around him that stop him from dying in his attempt like that idiot Canadian woman. And at least he's done some preparation by climbing other mountains.

What was your thing

twerking on the railroad
Jun 23, 2007

Get on my level

webmeister posted:

Well didn't the article say that his biggest mountain so far was Kilimanjaro? And that his dad is coming along even though his dad didn't climb mountains before the kid did? I think I just heard a richer l rumble in Everest's belly.

That said, I was under the impression that China has just plain not allowed foreigners into Tibet at all these days. So perhaps China's authoritarian ways are what will save this boy from himself and his father.

Saint Rude
Aug 21, 2009

FrozenVent posted:

Let me stop you right there.

lol

Mr. Unlucky
Nov 1, 2006

by R. Guyovich
that kid is stupid but he's already done more with his life than most of the people in this thread so yall should think about that and hang your head in shame while you poo poo talk him from your cubicles.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Mr. Unlucky posted:

that kid is stupid but he's already done more with his life than most of the people in this thread so yall should think about that and hang your head in shame while you poo poo talk him from your cubicles.

I hope he dies so we can poo poo talk and say we've done more in the long run.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Skeesix posted:

Well didn't the article say that his biggest mountain so far was Kilimanjaro? And that his dad is coming along even though his dad didn't climb mountains before the kid did? I think I just heard a richer l rumble in Everest's belly.

That said, I was under the impression that China has just plain not allowed foreigners into Tibet at all these days. So perhaps China's authoritarian ways are what will save this boy from himself and his father.
The China side has been the traditional buy your way in to do stupid stuff side. Anything is possible if you have a fat enough stack of USD to make the official stamping permits personally interested in proving you have no ties to Tibetan dissidents.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot
so from what I understand his dad has no experience climbing? Is his dad going up all the way too? What if his dad dies up there? Then the kids dad is dead, hes not gonna take that well cause hes a kid and hes gonna prolly die too.

Oh man could be a two for one special on mount death.

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Mt Everest, the highest mountain in Asia, if not the world.

Thanks, WaPo!

GET MY BELT SON
Sep 26, 2007

I want the kid to die

Howard Beale
Feb 22, 2001

It's like this, Peanut
I can't wish for a kid to die, that's mean-spirited and sick

best I can do is hope for frostbite to take a few fingers and maybe a toe or two

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Howard Beale posted:

I can't wish for a kid to die, that's mean-spirited and sick

best I can do is hope for frostbite to take a few fingers and maybe a toe or two

Nose. Every twelve year old needs a prosthetic nose.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
When I backpacked the Inca Trail, the guide told us that one of the previous groups had a 7 year old in it.
You can pay extra to have an extra porter to carry gear, and they paid for one. 7 year old was dragging because he was small and tired, so thry redisyributed the gear and just had the kid get a piggyback ride from the porter the entire way.

Porter loved it, because the kid fed him snacks the entire time and the kid weighed less than the typical load.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Mr. Unlucky posted:

Lol if you think we have jobs

canyoneer posted:

Porter loved it, because the kid fed him snacks the entire time and the kid weighed less than the typical load.
Okay that's just :3:

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Booger Presley posted:

I've been watching the documentary Meru and highly recommend it. It's about three pro climbers trying climb Meru and all their stories surrounding the attempt. Great photography, interesting story and people with skills instead of the tourists mothing to Everest.
Once of the climbers in that one (Renan) is the guy who shot the Sherpa movie.

naem
May 29, 2011

Mr. Unlucky posted:

that kid is stupid but he's already done more with his life than most of the people in this thread so yall should think about that and hang your head in shame while you poo poo talk him from your cubicles. gone on several expensive vanity vacations for his parents to brag about

Xenoid
Dec 9, 2006
They should give him a little Yoda backpack to wear while he rides on the back of a sherpa.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.
That's just depressing. Hopefully he'll be like that Australian girl who wanted to be the youngest to climb, then they shut the mountain, and by the time it reopened, she'd had her birthday and lost her book deal and her interest in doing it. Maybe someone with some sense will turn them back.

No need to throw a kid's life away for bragging rights. There's plenty of exciting things to do that don't involve sending your children up the mountain.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

OldMemes posted:

That's just depressing. Hopefully he'll be like that Australian girl who wanted to be the youngest to climb, then they shut the mountain, and by the time it reopened, she'd had her birthday and lost her book deal and her interest in doing it. Maybe someone with some sense will turn them back.

No need to throw a kid's life away for bragging rights. There's plenty of exciting things to do that don't involve sending your children up the mountain.

Like leaving them to the wolves. I think that might actually be more humane.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

gvibes posted:

Meru is a really good documentary. The poo poo these guys go through to climb that mountain would kill 99.99% of Everest tourists.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Arivia posted:

Like leaving them to the wolves. I think that might actually be more humane.

probably build more character too. Climbing that mountain and risking brain damage that early in the game? Get some badass scars instead

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Post the dead kid tia

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Alan Smithee posted:

What was your thing

Slightly inflated general knowledge and massively inflated ego, both of which mysteriously vanished at 13 when I discovered girls

Skeesix posted:

Well didn't the article say that his biggest mountain so far was Kilimanjaro?

Aconcagua is a fair bit higher than Kilimanjaro, and Elbrus is a much tougher climb than either. I've actually done Kili and it's really just a long hike - something that anyone with a decent level of fitness would be able to accomplish. There's no ladders, no scrambling, no treacherous rock faces, no threat of avalanche etc. I'm proud of it, but it's definitely not worth bragging about. And for reference, Kili's summit is about the same height as Everest Base Camp. A friend who's done both reckons that the Everest BC trek was harder than Kili.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

OldMemes posted:

That's just depressing. Hopefully he'll be like that Australian girl who wanted to be the youngest to climb, then they shut the mountain, and by the time it reopened, she'd had her birthday and lost her book deal and her interest in doing it.

Oh no she didn't
http://www.alyssaazar.com.au/

She just lowered her goal, which is now 'Youngest Australian to climb Everest'. She's 19 now and a quick google shows that the current youngest Australian climber did it at 21. Of course, should she miss THAT goal, there's always 'Youngest Australian Woman to Climb Everest' etc.

Just keep coming back & back & back and throw money at the mountain until you get a record for yourself.

Captain Splashback
Jan 1, 2007

BY APPOINTMENT TO HER MAJESTY
QUEEN ELIZABETH II
SPLASHBACK HOLDINGS LTD
PUCKINS AND PRINTERS PURVEYORS
Don't be so hard up on the little one. Remember,

"All gifts are accepted by Aranaktu Chomolungma"

Captain Splashback fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Apr 5, 2016

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.
I was listening to this podcast the other day: Travel Tales: Rachel Brill. It's an interview with a woman who has climbed Kilimanjaro and Elbrus and is planning to do the Seven Summits. She is very upfront and honest about how unprepared she was for her first few climbs and how much climbing can suck. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to learn more about the less glamorous side of climbing.

Something she mentioned was when she was climbing Kilimanjaro her water bottles froze when she was summiting. How do people handle that on Everest? I've honestly never thought about it before but now I am curious if there's a way to keep water liquid at high altitudes.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

cyberia posted:

I was listening to this podcast the other day: Travel Tales: Rachel Brill. It's an interview with a woman who has climbed Kilimanjaro and Elbrus and is planning to do the Seven Summits. She is very upfront and honest about how unprepared she was for her first few climbs and how much climbing can suck. I'd recommend it for anyone who wants to learn more about the less glamorous side of climbing.

Something she mentioned was when she was climbing Kilimanjaro her water bottles froze when she was summiting. How do people handle that on Everest? I've honestly never thought about it before but now I am curious if there's a way to keep water liquid at high altitudes.

Keep it as close to your skin as possible, basically. When I did Kili my layers for the summit push were: thermal undershirt, camelbak, hiking shirt, fleece, down-jacket. I don't know for sure about Everest, but I'd imagine that's what most people do.

webmeister fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Apr 5, 2016

luloo123
Aug 25, 2008

cyberia posted:

From what I read, they pretty much can't. Most people will put a water bottle inside their parka so their body heat will keep it liquid for longer, but eventually the water will freeze. Yet another reason why it's important to summit and get back to camp as soon as possible.

Then again, I'm only going off of people talking about their water freezing in the Everest books that I've read. Nobody ever talks about getting to the summit and back fully hydrated because it's not interesting. I'm guessing that most people try to drink as much water as possible while it's still liquid and then just go without until they get back down.

Booger Presley, thanks for recommending Meru. It was excellent and available to watch instantly for free with Amazon Prime.

Serak
Jun 18, 2000

Approaching Midnight.

cyberia posted:

I've honestly never thought about it before but now I am curious if there's a way to keep water liquid at high altitudes.

Your choices are keeping it hot or under high pressure, and high pressure is pretty impractical.

I would assume that climbers heat their water over the stove before leaving camp and use a insulated/vacuum flask to keep it above freezing while they're hiking.

Rondette
Nov 4, 2009

Your friendly neighbourhood Postie.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah I get the impression a lot of your time on the mountain is spent melting snow to make tea.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I like a nice cup of tea

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Rondette posted:

Yeah I get the impression a lot of your time on the mountain is spent melting snow to make tea.

Poop snow.

gohuskies
Oct 23, 2010

I spend a lot of time making posts to justify why I'm not a self centered shithead that just wants to act like COVID isn't a thing.

Rondette posted:

Yeah I get the impression a lot of your sherpa's time on the mountain is spent melting snow to make tea for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booger Presley
Aug 6, 2008

Pillbug

gvibes posted:

His accomplishment was unreal. After what he endured, his commitment to recover and the episode in the porta-ledge, he pulls it off. Amazing!