Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Dejan Bimble posted:

Did straight up brolic say Jaylen Brown falling in the draft was just like Stanley Johnson?

I've been watching his videos and his body, and the way he moves, make me think of a cross between Giannis and Stanley Johnson. You'd have to remove some of the basketball IQ, passing, and tough defense, to make that a complete comparison, but still. He's really good at slithering through 2 or 3 men to the rim, although he kills half the potential of those slithers by not passing to open shooters. I'm intrigued.

I've been watching Skal Labissiere too. He can be frightening when he's given the ball after a play's developed and decisions have sort of been made by the team, giving him nothing but a single good choice to make. Then he uses his silent hill enemy esque body to do incredible things. He would probably be a good Spur.

They look kinda similar but the big difference is that Johnson actually shot the ball pretty well and Brown very much did not.

I kinda like Skal now that he's a mid first rounder and not a top 5 pick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
One day the Mavs will have a good first round pick and these threads will be a lot cooler. One day.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

If the Celtics whiff on 1 or 2, do you guys think they go for Buddy if they are 3,4, or 5? Seems like their best option. It's always weird when a good team has a high draft pick and can justify not taking the highest upside guys.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
Hield is the annual Great Tournament Performance Causes Massive Overrating Of Older Prospect right

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

EvanTH posted:

Hield is the annual Great Tournament Performance Causes Massive Overrating Of Older Prospect right

He's been good all year tho

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

EvanTH posted:

the downside is that you aren't the coolest motherfucker on a college campus getting laid constantly

Yeah but you could be in Reno getting sweet lounge lizard tail

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

EvanTH posted:

He's prob ncaa poty. But they have 3 guards. Id go Bender if he is what he is cracked up to be.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

EvanTH posted:

Hield has been balling hard all year

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

EvanTH posted:

the downside is that you aren't the coolest motherfucker on a college campus getting laid constantly

Making 25k puts you in the top 10% of some Dleague cities. If the Vipers score over 100 they get free tacos at taco Palenque talk about pussy magnet

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

EvanTH posted:

This isn't a fair question because there's no one else in the category, except Kris Dunn. He's basically the same player he was last year, which makes his play less of a fluke. Maybe Brice Johnson? But late lottery is hard to call massive overrating in this draft.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Mar 29, 2016

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

On top of playing at a high level all year, hasn't Buddy been also been consistently improving each season?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Spacebump posted:

One day the Mavs will have a good first round pick and these threads will be a lot cooler. One day.

Trust me, its not

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

If the Sixers get the Lakers pick at 4, I think it'd be a pretty wise move for them to get Buddy. Heck, draft him even if they get poo poo luck and fall to 4 themselves. But he'd also probably be the most veteran player on the team.

He seems like he'd be a waste on the Celtics as (even if Evan Turner leaves) they seem to have a logjam in their backcourt. Depending on how well they finish the tourney, I bet he'll at least earn the privilege to workout with most of the top 5 pick teams.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

It's hard to convince me that Brice Johnson wont be atleast Carl Landry in the league with an NBA strength and conditioning regimen

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

EvanTH posted:

More of the underating the importance of age prospect but the tournament definitely didn't hurt.

WhyteRyce posted:

On top of playing at a high level all year, hasn't Buddy been also been consistently improving each season?

He took a really big leap this season in terms of efficiency which can be a red flag. I don't know that you can assume this year represents his true talent level rather than earlier years where he was a pretty good player but kind of an inefficient volume scorer at times.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

iamsosmrt posted:

If the Sixers get the Lakers pick at 4, I think it'd be a pretty wise move for them to get Buddy. Heck, draft him even if they get poo poo luck and fall to 4 themselves. But he'd also probably be the most veteran player on the team.

He seems like he'd be a waste on the Celtics as (even if Evan Turner leaves) they seem to have a logjam in their backcourt. Depending on how well they finish the tourney, I bet he'll at least earn the privilege to workout with most of the top 5 pick teams.

#4 is their statistically most likely pick IIRC, closely followed by #1+#4.

Hield, Murray, or Dunn would all be good picks for the Sixers at that spot. I also wouldn't put it past Hinkie to draft Hield then move him for Dunn/Murray+assets.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think every other thing I read about Dunn paints him as either a capable NBA point guard, or someone who'll be completely overmatched at the next level. It's gotten me to the point where I'd be genuinely nervous if the Sixers took him at 4, but cautiously optimistic if he fell to us with the Miami/OKC picks.

On the other hand I'd be fine with Murray, Hield, or Bender.

Really if the Sixers come out of this with any combination of Simmons, Ingram or the prior three, I'd be happy with the draft.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

Spacebump posted:

I'm interested to see how the Mavs approach the draft post-Dirk, when the fast and loose, win-now approach that produces things like Raymond Felton being the only remaining evidence of a lottery pick three years prior is less "not ideal" and more "disastrous."

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Cuban said right after l'affair Deandre that it was time to tank. So I guess it's on his mind.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

There's one great name tool player we haven't talked about. Jaron Blossomgame

A crocus of a small forward, blooming in South Carolina

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3kdESCj-5g

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

see to me the name Jason Blossomgame just screams 76ers 10 day guy

Hand Row
May 28, 2001
It is that time of year where I get luke warm about the college players available in the lottery and get excited about the foreign mystery box. Come on down Timothe Luwawu!

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

straight up brolic posted:

see to me the name Jason Blossomgame just screams 76ers 10 day guy

If you wait long enough for a blossomgame you might get a Jalen or a Malik Rose.
Frankly I want to smell a James Posey next to an Austin Rivers on the edge of a Qyntel Woods

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

If you wait long enough for a blossomgame you might get a Jalen or a Malik Rose.
Frankly I want to smell a James Posey next to an Austin Rivers on the edge of a Qyntel Woods

Qyntel Woods are full of Rollins Trees

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
nba draft salad:
zhou qi ni
ivan kohl rabbi
marquese waterchriss
petr corn elie
aj ham mons

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Close the thread

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Dejan Bimble posted:

Close the thread

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Dejan Bimble posted:

Close the thread

He's overrated imo. Sure he is a 6'8" wing who can create his own shot BUT his handles are sloppy, has tunnel vision, and defense is mediocre at best against AAC competition

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

Who do you guys prefer: Murray or Dunn? I have a very strong preference toward one but want to see if I'm stupid or not.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
In a vacuum Murray but if you desperately need a point guard then Dunn

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

MourningView posted:

In a vacuum Murray but if you desperately need a point guard then Dunn

Pretty much this.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Man, Kaleb Tarczsweski should've really gone out last year, over the course of the year he's gone from being a top 20 projection to undrafted on most boards.

I'm not absolutely positive Jakob Poeltl is that much better than him.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Poetl is younger and way more athletic

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

Thon Maker attempting to go straight to the NBA.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
The little bit I've seen of thon maker makes me think he got wildly overrated on the internet because of that one highlight tape and isn't even close to ready but good for him

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

MourningView posted:

The little bit I've seen of thon maker makes me think he got wildly overrated on the internet because of that one highlight tape and isn't even close to ready but good for him
i mean if he has handle and can shoot and is a legit seven feet tall, it'll hard for him not to be a good NBA player. Was the last guy that busted with that draft profile Bargs/Yi?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I don't think he actually has handle and his jumper is a lot more inconsistent than it looks in highlight tapes. He is really really raw skill wise. General vibe I get is that NBA people on the whole have been disappointed with him. He has a chance to go in the first but it's not a lock, and he's definitely not the high lottery pick he got hyped up to be.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Remember when fab melo went top 20. Anything is possible in the NBA draft

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009
In the least surprising news of the day, Brandon Ingram is entering the draft.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

MourningView posted:

I don't think he actually has handle and his jumper is a lot more inconsistent than it looks in highlight tapes. He is really really raw skill wise. General vibe I get is that NBA people on the whole have been disappointed with him. He has a chance to go in the first but it's not a lock, and he's definitely not the high lottery pick he got hyped up to be.

He's being mocked in the mid 20s now, we'll see what happens!

Thon Maker's stock dipped tremendously as a junior, but he's been very good since then -- motor, length, rebounds, touch, added strength.

— Jeff Borzello (@jeffborzello) April 4, 2016

He's only 6'11 or 6'10 if you remove his neck height. He does have potential. This at least adds some spice to the late lottery pizza pie. He graduated early in attempt to reclassify, changed his mind, and went to prep school for a year. We'll find out if prep school counts as 'not high school.'

korrandark posted:

In the least surprising news of the day, Brandon Ingram is entering the draft.

Do you guys think he'll be the first pick? Everyone seems to have soured on Ben Simmons. I keep seeing negative comments about his effort and defense. But, those are the same sorts of comments that are often used as a smokescreen.

• Locked thread