Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Gwent is great and if you don't play it you are a philistine, but you'll only miss out on one quest.

Gwent is good by the standards of fantasy rpg minigames but that is a low bar to clear

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Nah, gwent is genuinely good, and well worth the 5-10 minutes it takes to learn. You might not enjoy it enough to go whole-hog, but it's worth trying.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Gwent is great and if you don't play it you are a philistine, but you'll only miss out on one quest.

Sorry, but no, its not. If i wanted to go play magic i would do so. It's tacked on, makes no sense in the in game world, and takes far too long. At least dice poker made sense in the world. The humor of geralt walking around with pokemon cards notwithstanding.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Sorry, but no, its not. If i wanted to go play magic i would do so. It's tacked on, makes no sense in the in game world, and takes far too long. At least dice poker made sense in the world. The humor of geralt walking around with pokemon cards notwithstanding.

The fact that it's not diegetic is a matter of taste, for sure, and if that's a deal-breaker, sorry, but yeah, it is a good game.

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

Megazver posted:

After I've been to every alchemy vendor in the world and was still missing formulas and a few components, I just consoled up for the rest. I recommend you do the same.

That feels far too much like defeat. Also Gwent is good even if i do always end up murdering myself with scorch every time i use it.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Shannow posted:

Can you add a vendor in blood and wine that sells the locations of whatever superior oil formulas the player has missed by that point and the like because fun as it is systematically looting every peasant hovel across the gameworld for what feels like the third time i might begin to cry.

I think there are no set locations in most cases, game determines chest contents when you're nearby or open it and if Rngesus is kind he will throw in recipes you don't have; if you load a save the contents can end up different. Although chests have some kind of loot level or template so you'll probably find the superior recipes in the ornate looking chests, not in basic wooden ones.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 4, 2016

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I still disagree, it's fine as a distraction but if you play any kind of card or board games regularly it's pretty lackluster. If I'm going to play video games i'd rather play the witcher, if I'm going to play card games I'd rather play netrunner. It could probably be improved with better AI and/or a drafting mechanic though. One of the biggest problems with it is that it's basically never challenging once you have a functional deck because the AI is so easy to bait.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You havent bothered to learn it, have you?

Give me an example of it taking far too long.
Why did dice make more sense in the world then gwent? How do you feel about the Wild Hunt making an appearance?

Seriously man it's easy to play and you are a baby

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

andrew smash posted:

I still disagree, it's fine as a distraction but if you play any kind of card or board games regularly it's pretty lackluster. If I'm going to play video games i'd rather play the witcher, if I'm going to play card games I'd rather play netrunner. It could probably be improved with better AI and/or a drafting mechanic though. One of the biggest problems with it is that it's basically never challenging once you have a functional deck because the AI is so easy to bait.

I actually agree with this, which is one of the reasons I thought it was weird that people got so mad that NG+ mode takes away your cards. With a full deck it's pretty trivial to steamroll the AI. My point is that I think it's good enough to invest the time to learn it rather than just assuming it's just a garbage minigame.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

fickle poofterist posted:

Why did dice make more sense in the world then gwent? How do you feel about the Wild Hunt making an appearance?

I mean I love Gwent, but it's pretty obvious that peasants would be able to get their hands on a couple of carved dice easier than a deck of mass-produced cards with pictures of people important to the adventures of a single witcher.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Objection! High fantasy universe clause

Sustained

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

I mean I love Gwent, but it's pretty obvious that peasants would be able to get their hands on a couple of carved dice easier than a deck of mass-produced cards with pictures of people important to the adventures of a single witcher.

I just find it hilarious that nobody pays attention to the fact that their likenesses are on playing cards. Hell, Zoltan outright names a couple cards without a hint of irony, it's great.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

fickle poofterist posted:

You asked.

A late medieval society playing dice in taverns makes some level of sense. That same society somehow playing a trading card game does not. Who makes the cards? Who distributes them? How are they authenticated? Who writes and manages the rules?

I ignored dice poker as much as possible as well, since it also felt tacked on and pointless.

Gwent is a tiny little part of the best game I've ever played, thats why if you don't like it, just youtube the quests and get back to the fun stuff.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

WoodrowSkillson posted:

What the gently caress?

I hope Blood & Wine features a trip to a Gwent card factory. :allears:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

WoodrowSkillson posted:

You asked.

A late medieval society playing dice in taverns makes some level of sense. That same society somehow playing a trading card game does not. Who makes the cards? Who distributes them? How are they authenticated? Who writes and manages the rules?

I ignored dice poker as much as possible as well, since it also felt tacked on and pointless.

Gwent is a tiny little part of the best game I've ever played, thats why if you don't like it, just youtube the quests and get back to the fun stuff.

You find trading cards unbelievable in a world where there's monsters and people can teleport and poo poo like that? Maybe magic users make the cards? It's not that much of a stretch to imagine trading cards can be made in a world with so many fantastic elements.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Getting back to my NG+ run of this, it seems that they finally patched the nest loot bug.

Not that I need it.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Ginette Reno posted:

You find trading cards unbelievable in a world where there's monsters and people can teleport and poo poo like that? Maybe magic users make the cards? It's not that much of a stretch to imagine trading cards can be made in a world with so many fantastic elements.

sure, that works as a potential explanation.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
you guys are overthinking this.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arcsquad12 posted:

you guys are overthinking this.

nerds? overthink things? Never!

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
If anything you guys are under thinking it. This is a world with dimension hopping and interplanetary travel. The cards are left by nerds from our world's future so that some guy could win an argument on the internet.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Dice poker was extremely good because you could throw the dice off the table and lose and it was really funny

Gwent is good but Arcomage from MM7 is still the king of RPG card mini games

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
The advantage Gwent has over dice poker is that it's also a subtle way to reinforce the world lore.

Arcomage was rad, btw.

Tha_Joker_GAmer
Aug 16, 2006
hmm, for a minigame to be good there has to be a chance for you to lose at it, thats just my feelings

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The big unanswered lore question re Gwent is: who makes these things? What makes a card 'official' and stops some enterprising scribe from churning out as many "rare" cards as he likes? There doesn't seem to be anything enforcing scarcity.

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?
Just got to Skellige, Geralt's got dad jokes

"You smell wonderful at this funeral"

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

The Lone Badger posted:

The big unanswered lore question re Gwent is: who makes these things? What makes a card 'official' and stops some enterprising scribe from churning out as many "rare" cards as he likes? There doesn't seem to be anything enforcing scarcity.

Conjunction of the Spheres did it.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Gwent owns. At the very least it's way more fun than that lovely dice game from Witcher 2.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Ice Fist posted:

Gwent owns. At the very least it's way more fun than that lovely dice game from Witcher 2.

How did dice get so much worse from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2? Oh right, because the weird angle of the board you played at on W2 and the physics of the Dice meaning you could easily throw them off the table.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Liu posted:

hmm, for a minigame to be good there has to be a chance for you to lose at it, thats just my feelings

Early on it can be tough, but once you get some spies and decoys yeah it's pretty much smooth sailing.

Speaking of Gwent though, is it possible to compete with all of the decks? I'm like level 23 and my Nilfgaard and Northern decks own, but the other two are still missing a lot of useful cards despite me having done all of the Novigrad, Skellige, and Velen card quests. I know sometimes you get good cards from beating regular NPCs at Gwent and I've built my decks some that way as well but despite all of that my Monster and Scoia-Tel decks are lacking compared to my other two.

Seems like Nilfgaard is the strongest though. I use the Emhyr that lets me draw a card from my opponents discard pile and between that, all the spies, and all the medics I have it's near unbeatable.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arcsquad12 posted:

How did dice get so much worse from Witcher 1 to Witcher 2? Oh right, because the weird angle of the board you played at on W2 and the physics of the Dice meaning you could easily throw them off the table.
Witcher 4 needs gwent physics.

That way we can have a card that destroys whatever cards it's touching when you throw it onto the board, and while playing the final boss Ciri wins by tearing it into pieces and wiping out his entire side.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Liu posted:

I don't know about the rest of you, but I lost a bunch of times early on in my first playthrough. See: The Nilfgaardian guy at the Palace in the very early game. The Baron can be tough if you play him early enough. Some of the vendors have pretty drat good decks too.

In my 2nd playthrough I don't think I ever lost because I knew who to avoid and where to get all the good cards.

Honestly, if you progress through the game and are playing gwent with everyone you meet as soon as you meet them you are pretty much guaranteed to get crushed by a few people.

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Arcsquad12 posted:

Also Witcher 2 no longer actually told you what your 'hand' was - two pair, or three of a kind, or whatever. You just had to know it yourself, which was less reliable, obviously.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Much like a man will leave footprints in the sand after walking through it, so too will Geralt leave behind Gwent cards of people important to his adventures.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Early on it can be tough, but once you get some spies and decoys yeah it's pretty much smooth sailing.

Speaking of Gwent though, is it possible to compete with all of the decks? I'm like level 23 and my Nilfgaard and Northern decks own, but the other two are still missing a lot of useful cards despite me having done all of the Novigrad, Skellige, and Velen card quests. I know sometimes you get good cards from beating regular NPCs at Gwent and I've built my decks some that way as well but despite all of that my Monster and Scoia-Tel decks are lacking compared to my other two.

Seems like Nilfgaard is the strongest though. I use the Emhyr that lets me draw a card from my opponents discard pile and between that, all the spies, and all the medics I have it's near unbeatable.

The Scoia'tel and Monster decks don't have any spies so they can't really compete. Personally I think Northern Realms is stronger because it has much better Bond cards so even if Nilfgaard has slightly better ways to gain card advantage, Northern Realms can do a lot more with theirs and still has pretty good card draw (3 spies and a medic versus Nilfgaard's 3 spies and 3 medics.)

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

WrightOfWay posted:

The Scoia'tel and Monster decks don't have any spies so they can't really compete. Personally I think Northern Realms is stronger because it has much better Bond cards so even if Nilfgaard has slightly better ways to gain card advantage, Northern Realms can do a lot more with theirs and still has pretty good card draw (3 spies and a medic versus Nilfgaard's 3 spies and 3 medics.)

I mostly used Scoia'tael on my second playthrough and I found it significantly more reliable than the decks which rely on spies. It doesn't go in for the spectacular victories but it's a lot more solid than Northern Realms or Nilfgaard, which can both completely screw you over if you don't draw any of your spies/medics.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I don't get the reasoning that when a minigame is more complex than you're used to then it already has to compete with full releases like MtG. While we're at it - if I wanted to do horse racing I would have installed Horse Racing Manager 2, dumb devs :argh:.

It's an entertaining mode that not only is a fresh take on minigames in RPGs but also doubles as a fresh take on open world collectibles that actually contribute to gameplay for a change instead of being some dumb snowglobes you put on a shelf or whatever. It also wouldn't have been better if it was yet another throwaway dice game that people only played once with the few NPCs that required it for a quest because it was otherwise boring as hell.

This doesn't change the fact that I'd like to see Gwent expanded, decks balanced and AI made smarter but that's beyond the point.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
On that note, am I missing anything good by ignoring the horse racing / fist-fighting sidequests? Cause good lord, I have no interest in racing at all, and the combat system loses a lot of fun without Signs.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,

Bogart posted:

On that note, am I missing anything good by ignoring the horse racing / fist-fighting sidequests? Cause good lord, I have no interest in racing at all, and the combat system loses a lot of fun without Signs.

Some cool horse armor, otherwise, no.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

Bogart posted:

fist fighting has some good moments, the final 2 quests in particular are really good and very much up to par with other questlines and stories

horse racing just gets you better horse equipment and you can skip it, especially if you get DLC horse stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Bogart posted:

The fist-fighting questline has some pretty entertaining moments towards the end. Skellige's got some funny rules on who can fight in those competitions.