Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah gently caress it, I'm pretty sure hating Star Citizen is played out.

I'm getting another game package.

I'll sell you mine for cheap

Catedit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Did Derek reveal the last clue yet?

Not yet, but he doesnt have to.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Morning

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

What is it about this generic, unimaginative, piece-of-poo poo tech demo that has people latching onto it like autistic lamprey eels? I get it with people who are into Star Wars, imagining themselves to be Jedi or smugglers or some poo poo. I get the appeal of Star Trek, when you can Kirk it up being all badass and banging all the greenies etc. But Star Citizen has nothing going for it, nothing to recognize, nothing that gives you any sense of the universe it supposedly represents. It's just an amalgam of random ideas thrown into a disorganized pile, like Chris's DNA. Why the fascination? This reminds me of the people submitting their Star Citizen "ships" to Lego.

You have to understand that the people who are really into Star Citizen are the ones who were exposed to it years before it was a lovely tech demo and was instead a hopeful cloud of dreams and JPEGs. Chris Roberts is a master at getting other people to spend their money, and in SC's case he did that by weaving this intricate tapestry of possibility and imagination that was just substantive enough to get people engaged but subjective enough that they could fit their own dream into the framework that Chris had crafted. Hell I was hooked for years and spent most of that time critically reviewing everything I could and providing helpful suggestions on ways things could improve, all based on the underlying assumption that SC really was going to happen. The ones who are left are dealing with an immense sunk cost fallacy, convinced that either the thousands of dollars or thousands of hours (or both) that they've wasted will guarantee a good product. The alternative is that they've wasted their lives and funds, and who would ever be stupid enough to do that?

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Hobold posted:

I've not bothered with the code, as I'm bad a life. I like being able to think its both a troll, and something mind blowing at the same time.
It's Schroedinger's shitpost.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Roeben posted:

Not yet, but he doesnt have to.

How so?

Eonwe posted:

Morning

o/.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Did Derek reveal the last clue yet?

Soon™

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

aes 256

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

The hint I gave a few pages back is going to be better.

Starkk
Dec 31, 2008

Eonwe posted:

Morning

hello welcome

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
For some reasons you assholes decided to post 20 pages during the night and once again I get ready to tackle this bitch.

In case I can't manage before we make it to page 3000 I just wanted to add my voice to the people that are calling for a new thread once we reach this stretch goal. Uncle Derek was the obvious OP during the previous phase for being public enough to become the visible face of the growing discontented. An added bonus was the fact that him being the OP threw the shitizens into a tizzy. However DS is unable to keep an updated OP or change the thread title and the SC thread badly needs an index, that alone would make a new thread desirable. But more than that, I think at this stage we can all agree that there was a definitive change after Star Marine, dissent has been constantly growing in the CIG forums, reddit has became the echo chamber for citizens and Star Citizen is now undeniably on hold.

tl;dr: poo poo has changed, these are new times, we need a new thread and volunteers to take up the burden

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 4, 2016

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Roeben posted:

The hint I gave a few pages back is going to be better.

i'l bump into it soon enough.

Derek better not disappoint, my erection has limits.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

You have to understand that the people who are really into Star Citizen are the ones who were exposed to it years before it was a lovely tech demo and was instead a hopeful cloud of dreams and JPEGs. Chris Roberts is a master at getting other people to spend their money, and in SC's case he did that by weaving this intricate tapestry of possibility and imagination that was just substantive enough to get people engaged but subjective enough that they could fit their own dream into the framework that Chris had crafted. Hell I was hooked for years and spent most of that time critically reviewing everything I could and providing helpful suggestions on ways things could improve, all based on the underlying assumption that SC really was going to happen. The ones who are left are dealing with an immense sunk cost fallacy, convinced that either the thousands of dollars or thousands of hours (or both) that they've wasted will guarantee a good product. The alternative is that they've wasted their lives and funds, and who would ever be stupid enough to do that?

I get that much, I really do. But at some point, after a certain amount of time had passed, you came to realize that there was actually no game design here. No foundation. And it was far, far past the time for them to provide one, so your perspective changed.

I was trying to explain the Star Citizen situation to a non-gamer yesterday, and I found myself largely flummoxed. I had literally no reference point to start from - there was no way to describe the enormity of the problem. The closest I got was making an analogy of someone kickstarting a board game with no ruleset, no board, no goals, not even basic mechanics (will it be dice, cards, something else, etc.) but even without even the most fundamental framework, they start selling little gamepieces all mixed together (orcs, boats, planes, snakes, snakes on the planes, etc.) and promising that some day, they'll all get used in the game. That sort of got through until I explained that all of the pieces ship broken, and some cost over $1000, at which point I lost my audience.

Star Citizen's propensity for failure defies description.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Hello pink elephant man/womyn/gender non conformist

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
I kinda feel like I understand the code but will wait to see what it's about. Don't feel like trying to cracking it any more than I have.

Interesting direction for the thread if nothing else.

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

Scruffpuff posted:

I get that much, I really do. But at some point, after a certain amount of time had passed, you came to realize that there was actually no game design here. No foundation. And it was far, far past the time for them to provide one, so your perspective changed.

I was trying to explain the Star Citizen situation to a non-gamer yesterday, and I found myself largely flummoxed. I had literally no reference point to start from - there was no way to describe the enormity of the problem. The closest I got was making an analogy of someone kickstarting a board game with no ruleset, no board, no goals, not even basic mechanics (will it be dice, cards, something else, etc.) but even without even the most fundamental framework, they start selling little gamepieces all mixed together (orcs, boats, planes, snakes, snakes on the planes, etc.) and promising that some day, they'll all get used in the game. That sort of got through until I explained that all of the pieces ship broken, and some cost over $1000, at which point I lost my audience.

Yeah. For how utterly great the whole story is, the story is so complicated and the knowledge required to understand it so spergy that it cannot be shared with others casually. A shame.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MeLKoR posted:

For some reasons you assholes decided to post 20 pages during the night and once again I get ready to tackle this bitch.

That's some weak catching up game, I have 2900 posts to read.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

MeLKoR posted:

In case I can't manage before we make it to page 3000 I just wanted to had my voice to the people that are calling for a new thread once we reach this stretch goal. Uncle Derek was the obvious OP during the previous phase for being public enough to become the visible face of the growing discontented. An added bonus was the fact that him being the OP threw the shitizens into a tizzy. However DS is unable to keep an updated OP or change the thread title and the SC thread badly needs an index, that alone would make a new thread desirable. But more than that, I think at this stage we can all agree that there was a definitive change after Star Marine, dissent has been constantly growing in the CIG forums, reddit has became the echo chamber for citizens and Star Citizen is now undeniably on hold.

tl;dr: poo poo has changed, these are new times, we need a new thread and volunteers to take up the burden

Yeah kill it at 3000 and get gorf or someone to do a proper OP. There's so much good stuff it needs an index or something.

Tahjir
Oct 6, 2009
Cracked it. I feel oddly empty, like there is a void in my soul that neither Derek Smart or Cattes can fill. I am naught but regret, and the most solemn of parps. :gary:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

Now, I recognize this could be someone else's version of i_still_trust_cig so if I'm stepping on anybody's toes here, my apologies. But- while I don't believe the "all CIG sources are secretly sanctioned by management" bullcrap, I have at least entertained the possibility that CIG eventually wised up and started getting semi-Machiavellian in response. Sometimes the best way to combat leaks is with floods.
This is like Monsanto giving false leaks to anti-GMO organizations but not so obviously false that they could be dismissed out of hand. A lot of people would believe it and Monsanto would now have to disprove false rumors they themselves started.
It's such a terrible idea that not even the best marketing executive in the world since she was a little girl would come up with it, you don't want this poo poo to ever enter the public discourse, much less encourage it.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 4, 2016

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

:agreed:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

...and so it was on 07/06/15 that I wrote my first Star Citizen blog, Interstellar Citizens.

Since that time, amid the dreams, the lies, and the deceit, coming from the company, a lot about this disastrous project has been written, spoken, and speculated. What most people don't know is just how bad things are or that they have unequivocally lost EVERY penny they put into this project.

And through all that, I stand firm on the opinion I made back in July 2015 that "Star Citizen, as has been pitched, will never get made. Ever.".

Now, in year five and over $111M, it exists as nothing more than a glorified tech demo. It's not a pre-alpha. It's not alpha. It's not a beta. It's not a game. It's none of those things. It's a glorified CryEngine mod.

The protracted false advertising of a product in order to make money from hapless gamers, is tantamount to consumer fraud. Look it up.

Events set in motion about two weeks ago, but which have been brewing since last year, have now sealed the fate of this project. It is unrecoverable. It is unavoidable. It is an E.L.E. And it is about time we as gamers, knew the truth.

I have always stated that there is absolutely NO version of this, where they get away with this. Yet people think that these things just get resolved over night. It takes time to get to the bottom; then you have to sort through the chum. It's a process.

And I have a response to that in this encrypted code that's been working it's way through these past few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=et7hT885kWU

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Everyone who hasn't/can't be bothered/doesn't care about cracking the de Smarti code should start guessing at what it contains. My first guess is that Roberts is about to be arrested for bumming endangered species.

e: gently caress it, mine was better.

Sunswipe fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Apr 4, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

D_Smart posted:

...and so it was on 07/06/15 that I wrote my first Star Citizen blog, Interstellar Citizens.

Since that time, amid the dreams, the lies, and the deceit, coming from the company, a lot about this disastrous project has been written, spoken, and speculated. What most people don't know is just how bad things are or that they have unequivocally lost EVERY penny they put into this project.

And through all that, I stand firm on the opinion I made back in July 2015 that "Star Citizen, as has been pitched, will never get made. Ever.".

Now, in year five and over $111M, it exists as nothing more than a glorified tech demo. It's not a pre-alpha. It's not alpha. It's not a beta. It's not a game. It's none of those things. It's a glorified CryEngine mod.

The protracted false advertising of a product in order to make money from hapless gamers, is tantamount to consumer fraud. Look it up.

Events set in motion about two weeks ago, but which have been brewing since last year, have now sealed the fate of this project. It is unrecoverable. It is unavoidable. It is an E.L.E. And it is about time we as gamers, knew the truth.

I have always stated that there is absolutely NO version of this, where they get away with this. Yet people think that these things just get resolved over night. It takes time to get to the bottom; then you have to sort through the chum. It's a process.

And I have a response to that in this encrypted code that's been working it's way through these past few days.

And here we go. You have all you need.

Cobblers
Feb 5, 2016

Come commandos, on wings of joy we'll fly
To where my bower hangs on high;
Come, and make thy calm retreat,
Among procedurally generated green leaves and blossoms sweet.
I've accepted that I'm not smart enough to crack this - I'm going to have to either let the man loving finish or wait until someone finally PMs/posts it.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Yeeeeee :kimchi:

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sunswipe posted:

Everyone who hasn't/can't be bothered/doesn't care about cracking the de Smarti code should start guessing at what it contains. My first guess is that Roberts is about to be arrested for bumming endangered species.
Wait, that's illegal?

Asking for a friend.

ether
May 20, 2001

Toops posted:

Look I don't mean to be a fuddy duddy but gently caress me this thread is annoying now.

You made me watch youtube video's of sorting algorithms which was very soothing, so I beg to differ.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Daztek posted:

I'll sell you mine for cheap

Catedit

Yeah right, sure. What am I supposed to say when The Chairman finally calls me in to account?

"Oh er sorry, Mr. Roberts. I didn't give you any *new* money but I mean technically the guy who bought the account pledged so you still got some money..."

It's like you want to see me get Wingman'd :smithfrog:

That's a good catte though.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
The dice is cast

EDIT: i probably shouldn't say that, edited out

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

G0RF posted:

Hey I agree.

There's something especially rich about this possibly fictive persona who wraps himself in a cloak of "Defender of the Old Goon Way", a guy who is offended by some new breed of cynical hater goons who doubt and mock CIG. He is essentially asserting that the game is obviously going to be the BDSSE, therefore mocking it is unfair and unsportsmanlike-- beneath the dignity of the Old Goon Way.

The 4% of game thusfar released is in a disasterous state, the core management is irrefutably awful and deluded, and the company is a laughingstock. Anyone paying close enough attention can see this.

I'm immediately suspicious of people that claim "oh I was a goon in the old days but I left around 10 years ago when it started to suck". So... you left around the time the purge of the worst racists, anime pedos, and similar scum and say the "new goons" suck in comparison and this is supposed to make me value your opinions more?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

tooterfish posted:

Wait, that's illegal?

Asking for a friend.

It's a test case, that's why all the secrecy. No one wants to look stupid if it turns out loving a dolphin is ok as long as you do it in international waters.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

D_Smart posted:

Derek, Derek, Derek.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
At least the encryption method turned out to be pretty solid.

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013
That's not a hint, that's giving it away for all the normies!

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

It was, but unfortunately that method only works once.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

D_Smart posted:

Could you loving finish?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Scruffpuff posted:

That point is different for everyone. For me it was when they fired James and Alyssa and Chris posted that idiotic rant that basically turned Smart into the boogeyman. Others likely quit after SQ42 was delayed another year, or after Chris's disastrous holiday livestream, or after the last four months of minimal progress. The problem is that when most of those people quit they don't do so loudly; they try to get their refund and then when denied they just stop posting. Some come over here and shitpost, but most people accept that they wasted their time and money and go play something else. The ones who are left haven't hit that point of realization yet and are subsequently still stuck in the fantasy of Star Citizen coming out and being the most amazing space game ever. So long as Chris has funding there will be people who believe him.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

I'm excited for the collective :flaccid:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

There is still a way to go, I hope someone figures it out.

:shobon:

• Locked thread