Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It's also the show with an evil zombie ska band.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VolticSurge posted:

Isn't that the show with the evil Nazi parrot with robot minions rejected from Wolfenstein who wanted to unleash not-Cthulhu?

Edit: in case anyone calls BS, I'm not joking. That actually happened.

And Harlan Ellison is God!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

And Scooby-Doo is descended from a race of extradimensional beings who have visited humanity as animals such as the cats of Egypt and Sun Wukong and that's why he can talk.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

wow, that sounds "real" "good"

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Toxxupation posted:

wow, that sounds "real" "good"

Yeah,but I at least gotta give it credit for trying new (possibly drug-inspired) things.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

VolticSurge posted:

Isn't that the show with the evil Nazi parrot with robot minions rejected from Wolfenstein who wanted to unleash not-Cthulhu?

Edit: in case anyone calls BS, I'm not joking. That actually happened.

You say that like it's a bad thing. Actually Mystery Inc. was easily the best incarnation of Scooby Doo and a decent show in its own right.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

MrAristocrates posted:

It's also the show with an evil zombie ska band.

I wish this was a thing I'd heard more than never.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Applewhite posted:

You say that like it's a bad thing. Actually Mystery Inc. was easily the best incarnation of Scooby Doo and a decent show in its own right.

No, I actually like it, because it does such ridiculous things like that. When it first started, I thought "Yawn,more of the same". But then it got crazy,and I enjoyed it.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Apr 4, 2016

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Waffleman_ posted:

The best part of that fad was the episode of Mystery Inc. that had Speed Buggy, Captain Caveman, and the ghost guy.

That's the Funky Phantom, you loving pleb.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

El Tortuga posted:

That's the Funky Phantom, you loving pleb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u_pByed0ygU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Don't forget the crossover episodes with Jonny Quest and Sealab 2020.
I think the most impressive thing about Mystery Inc is how it successfully tied the entire Hanna-Barbera canon into one universe.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Wasn't Funky Phantom revealed to be a murderer or something too? That's bullshit.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Jack Gladney posted:

Wasn't Funky Phantom revealed to be a murderer or something too? That's bullshit.
Just an out of work actor that was napping in a clock or something and ran with it when the kids thought they found a ghost from the Revolutionary War.

He's no Ghostwriter to be sure.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Every time I think about checking out a Scooby Doo reboot, I realize I would have to sit through a show that has Scooby Doo the character in it and lose interest.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CuddlyZombie posted:

Every time I think about checking out a Scooby Doo reboot, I realize I would have to sit through a show that has Scooby Doo the character in it and lose interest.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97AKy7mViBg

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

What the fresh gently caress?!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

The only words to describe that are "Gatdamn bonkers."

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Twin Peaks always gets the weirdest references

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

I'm still reeling.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

CuddlyZombie posted:

The only words to describe that are "Gatdamn bonkers."

The whole show is like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf2us_gN9Q

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

I was hoping this clip would be of the part where Scooby goes full Rambo.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Mystery Inc is a legitimately good series and I can't praise it enough.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty sure I watched all of Mystery Inc, but almost every time someone links a clip, it's something I don't remember at all. That show was stuffed to the gills with crazy junk, and it knew it.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

raditts posted:

Don't forget the crossover episodes with Jonny Quest and Sealab 2020.
I think the most impressive thing about Mystery Inc is how it successfully tied the entire Hanna-Barbera canon into one universe.

My favorite part is how they tied in Dynomutt's origin with Jonny Quest, culminating in the Scooby gang teaming up with a Dark Knight Returns-inspired Blue Falcon to fight Quest villain Dr. Zinn.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
And yet they never ran into Hank and Dean Venture during these adventures.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Venture Bros was never a Hanna Barbera cartoon is why.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

Venture Bros was never a Hanna Barbera cartoon is why.

They briefly did crossover directly into Johnny Quest like many early [AS] did but later they sort of retconned that and changed the names.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Venture Bros mostly climbed up its own rear end with all its own internal mythology after like the second season anyway.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
My favorite part of Mystery Inc (aside from the insane mythology) was that they turned Fred and Daphne into characters I could actually care about. Fred ended up being one of the funniest drat characters I've seen in a cartoon in a while.

Also the Flim Flam/Scrappy Doo reference. I was kind of hoping they were going to drop Ghoul School/Boo Brothers/Reluctant Werewolf references too.

Velma: "Why are you so out of shape? Didn't you work as a coach at a boarding school over the summer?"
Shaggy: "I'm gonna level with ya. I was hallucinating most of the time."

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

MrSlam posted:

My favorite part of Mystery Inc (aside from the insane mythology) was that they turned Fred and Daphne into characters I could actually care about. Fred ended up being one of the funniest drat characters I've seen in a cartoon in a while.

Also the Flim Flam/Scrappy Doo reference. I was kind of hoping they were going to drop Ghoul School/Boo Brothers/Reluctant Werewolf references too.

Velma: "Why are you so out of shape? Didn't you work as a coach at a boarding school over the summer?"
Shaggy: "I'm gonna level with ya. I was hallucinating most of the time."

I would've gone with Shaggy exaggerating the events to a ludicrous degree

But same in expanding the characters to levels that make them far more interesting than their base archetypes. Velma being the least well off of the group was sorta surprising as much as Shaggy being rather well off.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
I only seen clips but the recent Scooby Doo movies seem good, maybe.

Crossovers with John Cena and KISS(as magic girls musicmens) are cool.

edit: the transformation sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af4G0H3LY2o

PhazonLink fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 4, 2016

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

PhazonLink posted:

KISS(as magic girls-

This world is missing an amazing anime

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

raditts posted:

Venture Bros mostly climbed up its own rear end with all its own internal mythology after like the second season anyway.

No but didn't learning that everyone was in college together at the exact same time and that David Bowie is some extra dimensional shape shifter who's the big bad behind everything really make you feel for the characters who started as scooby doo/jonny quests parodies

That's what I go to venture bros for, the deep lore

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

The deep lore for Venture Bros is fun stuff.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

PhazonLink posted:

I only seen clips but the recent Scooby Doo movies seem good, maybe.

Crossovers with John Cena and KISS(as magic girls musicmens) are cool.

edit: the transformation sequence.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af4G0H3LY2o

Great news, there's a second WWE movie happening !

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

Just started watching Wander Over Yonder after putting it off for years. It's pretty fun! I guess I was turned off by the first couple episodes because of Spongebob.

The worst episodes of Spongebob were the ones where Spongebob and Patrick punish Squidward for trying to have a normal stress-free day. Like the universe thought he was a terrible person for being a boring sad sack and went out of its way to torment him for all eternity. There's a point where it pushed itself from funny to cruel and it was unpleasant to watch.

The first few episodes of Wander Over Yonder kind of had that vibe to me so I dropped it and didn't pick it back up til today, but I wish I'd never dropped it. It's a lot of fun!

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

MrSlam posted:

Just started watching Wander Over Yonder after putting it off for years. It's pretty fun! I guess I was turned off by the first couple episodes because of Spongebob.

The worst episodes of Spongebob were the ones where Spongebob and Patrick punish Squidward for trying to have a normal stress-free day. Like the universe thought he was a terrible person for being a boring sad sack and went out of its way to torment him for all eternity. There's a point where it pushed itself from funny to cruel and it was unpleasant to watch.

The first few episodes of Wander Over Yonder kind of had that vibe to me so I dropped it and didn't pick it back up til today, but I wish I'd never dropped it. It's a lot of fun!

And it gets even better in season 2.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Looking back at the April Fools episode, you really feel for Squidward. Spongebob put Squidward in the hospital, drove him to suicide, and might've actually killed him a couple times, a little garbage is nothing in comparison.

I feel like at the beginning, Spongebob was very genuinely exuberant, even if to a degree that annoyed everyone around him, and then at some point it became all about him being an idiot goblin who everybody hates.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

SlothfulCobra posted:

Looking back at the April Fools episode, you really feel for Squidward. Spongebob put Squidward in the hospital, drove him to suicide, and might've actually killed him a couple times, a little garbage is nothing in comparison.

I feel like at the beginning, Spongebob was very genuinely exuberant, even if to a degree that annoyed everyone around him, and then at some point it became all about him being an idiot goblin who everybody hates.

Two words: Target demographics. And another 2 words: Casey Alexander.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Squidward has long been the character the show tortures for no reason other than he doesn't like his horribly annoying neighbor that won't leave him alone.like they try and make him a dick but they just never make him nearly deserving of what he gets.

axelblaze fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Apr 4, 2016