Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Toops posted:

Here, have a weekly dev update to cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnnRYfeyZo

Holy ship!
dem last 3 ships are awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?ynoogjeqcrsupkf.y244

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Melanion posted:

You clearly don't understand pizza delivery.

He'd trace the grinning Italian caricature on the outside of the box.

drat

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Toops posted:

I want to play this game more than I ever wanted to "play" Star Citizen.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

This whole thing is going to end like Star Trek the Motion Picture with Chris Roberts and Derek Smart making out and Solar Plebian is going to fly out of the resulting explosion.

It's the best possible outcome and I'm predicting it now.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Also, is Dick Tracey a portrait that Ryan Archer did of Wulf?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4db845/star_citizen_the_ele/

it begins

PS: I really really hope you sure all watch my video

It's The Long Troll.

Spergs are a) going to be pissed b) still wondering wtf the E.L.E is (hint: it's NOT a ruse; it's real, and it's coming)

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

If we're voting, my input is to end this legendary thread at Page 3000, and then let G0RF take the reigns as our new SC thread OP.

I agree with this plan.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
Revelations: https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?tuv_spfy177

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Palisader posted:

Some time around 2005, I found this ARG that was set up in a neat way. I really wish i could remember the name. There were a series of puzzles all set up in circles. Solve enough on one circle and you could go on to the next one. The puzzles were very esoteric and required a lot of google (which wasn't as sophisticated then) and often actual go-to-the-library research. If you made it to the inner circle, you had to solve all 4 puzzles to get coordinates to a place where the prize was buried. I never even came close, but I hear that those who did finally had to work together to solve all 4. It was a whole lot of fun.

Unlike this.

Apropos of nothing, does this sound familiar to anyone else? It's really bugging me that I can't remember the name.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Eonwe posted:

how much

Basic starter packs of jpegs of CIG running out of money can be had for $45, but discerning goons will want the limited edition exotic 'Sandi's illegal prostitution ring busted, CIG heads arrested!' ELE jpegs, a mere $300 considering they will certainly triple in price once the extinction level event is released to kickstarter backers.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Now that it's out in the open, I'm shocked that a bunch of goons managed to keep up the kayfabe.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
im still not sure how to get to the solution, even if its out in the open

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Variable 5 posted:

How to post on the Something Awful Dot Com Internet Comedy Forums as Derek Smart, Ph.D.

1. Say "Pay attention." and change your story whenever someone corrects you.
2. Come up with some overly-elaborate method of reading posts that makes no sense and ends up with you quoting 100-page-old posts.
3. Assume everyone else has read every single page, and insult them when it's obvious they haven't.
4. Use the :bravo: and :vince: smileys way too much, to the point where they've basically lost meaning.
5. Constantly compare yourself to actual successful and competent people in your field, as though your failed attempts at development 20 years ago hold any meaning whatsoever.
6. Call blog entries "blogs."
7. Link to your own Twitter posts; bonus points if you're just posting artwork taken from this thread without crediting its creator.
8. Make references to blog entries from nine months ago, ignoring the fact that nobody gave a poo poo about them then and nobody gives a poo poo about them now.
9. Forget that you're posting on Something Awful and threaten to leave whenever someone hurts your feelings.
10. Be so oblivious to all of the above that you're unable to tell when you're being made fun of.

Edit: Two weeks.

It's OK now, it's OK. Everything is going to be fine honey, just point where he touched you.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

D_Smart posted:

It's The Long Troll.

Spergs are a) going to be pissed b) still wondering wtf the E.L.E is (hint: it's NOT a ruse; it's real, and it's coming)

Just like the goon-de-yadda, right :rolleyes:

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Snazzy Frocks posted:

im still not sure how to get to the solution, even if its out in the open

Library of Babel is the website. Go there.
Once there, copy paste the massive wall of gibberish text that was posted a while ago. That will get you to the right section of the library.
Then go to Wall 4, Shelf 3, Volume 11, Page 203. Tada!

Oleyo
Mar 28, 2016

Toops posted:

These are fantastic, nice work!

Can we build a chart of the Concept/Jpeg/Whitebox/Greybox/Redbox/Broken Hanger/Better Hanger/Refactor/Flightready status of these ships?

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Haha I skipped like 30 pages. Guess y'all finally solved it

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
#istillbelieveindreams

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Haha check out my week long troll I did that burned everybody!

But for real, trust me, this ELEphant thing is super really real.

Just kidding, D, you know we love you.

Stanko-Prussian
May 22, 2006

CLEAN YOUR ROOM!, 'they' said.
DO YOUR HOMEWORK!, 'they' said.
WHY ARE YOU IN LOVE WITH A CARTOON PONY, 'they' said.
FOR GODSAKE! STOP SHOWING US YOUR BLACKHOLE'!! 'they' said.

When I lit the match....STOP SCREAMING, 'I' said

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Now that it's out in the open, I'm shocked that a bunch of goons managed to keep up the kayfabe.

Not only that but as far as i know i never actually lied about it either.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Stanko-Prussian posted:

Not only that but as far as i know i never actually lied about it either.

Unless you count claiming they cracked it when in reality someone PM'd them the answer. Although that lie pretty much had to be told to keep the intrigue going.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ag Bengip posted:

Hey, Derek! The information brought to light in the hidden message did leave me completely astounded and disgusted, but I think I can say without leaking any incriminating or otherwise sensitive information that I still had a lot of unanswered questions after it all sunk in. Can we expect any more details about this soon?

Yes, this is just a part of a bigger reveal. Hence the code message in this first one.

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

well i'm glad i decided to play video games this weekend instead of trying to ~crack the code~

in unrelated news, rebel galaxy is p. fun. not sure how long it'll last, but for now it's good stuff

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

AP posted:

I have never ever posted on 4chan, in the distant past I occasionally was tempted to call someone a goon to set them off on witch hunts that lasted for weeks but always managed to resist.

This situation is one totally created by yourself.

I never figured out how 4chan worked. How can you do a which hunt when you can't tell people apart?

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palisader posted:

Apropos of nothing, does this sound familiar to anyone else? It's really bugging me that I can't remember the name.

PerplexCity? I collected a fair amount of the cards and would have one in my office each week with mini prizes for people who could solve them. It was a lot of fun. Still have a huge stack of cards somewhere. I hope they make another season at some point.

I am thousands of posts behind, but I assume the coded message was absolutely nothing? Probably only fun to figure out if you like puzzles? Contrary to past evidence, I doubt even the D would be stupid enough to spill anything of value whatsoever and give hints to crack it. Anyone who thought otherwise is silly. I am sure he'll claim it's totally still happening though. Just you wait guys. [Some phrase run in to the ground]

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Sperglord posted:

Derek said that EightAce has revised his opinion of CIG's cash reserves. I tend to agree with Derek here, as EightAce first stood ed saying CIG was low on cash and, later, said Derek was entirely right. Derek hypothesized that CIG was feeding employees misleading information about cash levels.

Recall that EightAce hasn't said CIG is cash rich for a while.

In case you missed his most recent missive

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2830#post458146176

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word
Anyone figured out that one yet?

I mean I'm one step further than that but stuck there…

darkarchon fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 4, 2016

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

The Gospel According To Parp:

https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?parp:1

https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?parp:2

https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?parp:3

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.

darkarchon posted:

Anyone figured out that one yet?

I mean I'm one step further than that but stuck there…

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/717022364064686080

http://pastebin.com/aCgDzsWT

someone break the code please

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

D_Smart posted:

Yes, this is just a part of a bigger reveal. Hence the code message in this first one.

Derek how hard are you having to work to avoid writing the words "puppet master" right now?

Roeben
Jul 23, 2013

MeLKoR posted:

I never figured out how 4chan worked. How can you do a which hunt when you can't tell people apart?

Typically paranoia.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Working on it. Let me loving finish

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
library of babel is weird

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Oleyo posted:

These are fantastic, nice work!

Can we build a chart of the Concept/Jpeg/Whitebox/Greybox/Redbox/Broken Hanger/Better Hanger/Refactor/Flightready status of these ships?

I've been thinking about doing a trello board specifically for sheps, esp since so many people are contributing now. I'll make one up today.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Snazzy Frocks posted:

library of babel is weird

I'm waiting for some government entity to discover it, freak out that literally every piece of classified information ever written is contained within it, and then demand that said excerpts be removed... thus indicating what they are by their omission.

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

Not that. look at the TOP of the image I've posted. There's something encrypted there.

Let me enhance:

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

https://libraryofbabel.info/bookmark.cgi?parp

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

D1E posted:

I am truly impressed that dozens (if not hundreds) of goons continued to play it straight for as long as they did.

Credit to Derek where it is due: that was some kind of incredible scale ultra-troll/April Fool's. You are King Goon now.

Now let's get back to the business of mercilessly making fun of CIG, Chris Roberts, Sandi Gardiner, et al.

All the deserving credit goes to Beer. I just worked his fantastic idea into my narrative. That, coupled with my on-going E.L.E. narrative made the perfect storm for the best.troll.ever

Thing is, there's more to come. Just wait. Two weeks.

ps: There's some serious E.L.E. poo poo going down right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

ITT: People getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by Derek Smart whilst laughing at people getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by Chris Roberts

• Locked thread