Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

This thread has become more sad than the CIG forums.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

darkarchon
Feb 2, 2016

My name is a trolling word

smellmycheese posted:

ITT: People getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by Derek Smart whilst laughing at people getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by Chris Roberts

Well at least I didn't pay for it. :colbert:

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

Ragequit posted:

PerplexCity? I collected a fair amount of the cards and would have one in my office each week with mini prizes for people who could solve them. It was a lot of fun. Still have a huge stack of cards somewhere. I hope they make another season at some point.

no, there weren't any cards or physical items. It just wasn't online only because sometimes you needed to use resources you couldn't easily find online to solve the puzzles. I remember one puzzle where the answer was to use a simulation of a corded phone to dial a number that made the key press tones sound out the opening notes of Mary Had A Little Lamb.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

darkarchon posted:

Anyone figured out that one yet?

I mean I'm one step further than that but stuck there…

Before bed last night, I was playing with it, and had some flashbacks to reading Foucault's Pendulum. I tried it again, with fresh eyes this morning - and realized I messed up in a minor (and stupid) way. I got it, and spent all morning shaking my head at the solution.

Well done.

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

smellmycheese posted:

ITT: People getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by Derek Smart whilst laughing at people getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by Chris Roberts

Who will win!? Find out next time on Goonball Z!

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

smellmycheese posted:

beats shovelin' coal for the man.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

The Dr. That Cried Parp

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Dementropy posted:

Before bed last night, I was playing with it, and had some flashbacks to reading Foucault's Pendulum. I tried it again, with fresh eyes this morning - and realized I messed up in a minor (and stupid) way. I got it, and spent all morning shaking my head at the solution.

Well done.

Does it say "Suck my dick goons?"

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I never figured out how 4chan worked. How can you do a which hunt when you can't tell people apart?

I have no clue but it didn't seem to stop them from what I saw.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

The E.L.E. is a real event, but it is also an unnecessary one. CIG was already basically Nordberg from the Naked Gun, stumbling from one damaging incident into another. Their demise was just a matter of time - the so-called "E.L.E." is just gasoline on a flame at this point.

:agreed:

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

D_Smart posted:

the best.troll.ever

It would have been even better someone had actually fallen for it

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
can we go back to laughing at cig

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Palisader posted:

no, there weren't any cards or physical items. It just wasn't online only because sometimes you needed to use resources you couldn't easily find online to solve the puzzles. I remember one puzzle where the answer was to use a simulation of a corded phone to dial a number that made the key press tones sound out the opening notes of Mary Had A Little Lamb.

Well that sounds pretty rad. Sounds like you would definitely be interested in PerplexCity though, so check that out if you haven't already.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Beet Wagon posted:

Derek how hard are you having to work to avoid writing the words "puppet master" right now?

Oh you have no idea. :D

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

fuctifino posted:

Also, is Dick Tracey a portrait that Ryan Archer did of Wulf?

:laffo:

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Nicholas posted:

I hope they have a peppier week. Last week they were looking loving sullen and not nearly as gloaty. Except for Crobberts, he was geeked on yeyo as always.

Loiosh
Jul 25, 2010

smellmycheese posted:

It seems oddly symmetrical.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Pebergehund posted:

Somewhere around the world a grand total of 3 goons sit shamefaced at their keyboards, their illusions shattered, having fallen for Derek's master trolling

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

D1E posted:

If we're voting, my input is to end this legendary thread at Page 3000, and then let G0RF take the reigns as our new SC thread OP.

I vote this as well.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Pebergehund posted:

the boy who cried troll

PederP
Nov 20, 2009

A-level thread derailing from Derek Smart. Can the thread go back to talking about Ryan Archer now?

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

Loiosh posted:

It would have been better if I had phrased it like this

ITT: People getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by an egotistical designer of lovely space games whilst laughing at people getting fed a load of bullshit and strung along by another egotistical designer of lovely space games

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Nicholas posted:

i sure hope so

they averaged $60k a day for fri/sat/sun so i'm hoping for a sub-$30k return to form for monday to laugh at

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?
Derek smart pmuppet master

D1E
Nov 25, 2001

Lladre posted:

I vote this as well.

G0RF: there's an early consensus and you're the front runner. Can you maybe start working on a first post to be ready to go when Derek posts "I am the ultimate puppet master!" on page 3000 and the mods shut this thing down?

I hope you'll accept the nomination. You're the Goon Hero we need now.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

Wow, that code bullshit managed to suck the fun out of this thread for an entire weekend. It's the first time I didn't feel bad about skipping pages.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Toops posted:

Here, have a weekly dev update to cheer you up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5NnnRYfeyZo

You started off making a parody of star citizen but you might end up creating the next generation's Twisted Metal/Vigilante 8

you need to have each of these ships have some goofy signature weapon!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qgP6pNbcAI

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Brownhat posted:

Wow, that code bullshit managed to suck the fun out of this thread for an entire weekend. It's the first time I didn't feel bad about skipping pages.

At this point it's basically a push for 3000 and then take the thread out behind a shed.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Loiosh posted:

It's like poetry. It rhymes.

sunaurus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh great, another bookah.
I thought the secret code scavenger hunt thing was actually fun, I don't understand why some of you didn't like it. Thanks for the entertainment, B4TBG.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

smellmycheese posted:

It's beautiful *wipes tear*

Also lol at all the goons trying to lay sick burns on DS and the thread.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
See that's the thing when you actually make something concrete: some people will like it, and others will hate it. This is why the first rule of game development is promising everything, and delivering nothing.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Finish skimming through another page of the thread! :woop:

Next page loads, last page number has increased by two.
:negative:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

sunaurus posted:

I thought the secret code scavenger hunt thing was actually fun, I don't understand why some of you didn't like it. Thanks for the entertainment, B4TBG.

...because they couldn't figure it out :D

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

See that's the thing when you actually make something concrete: some people will like it, and others will hate it. This is why the first rule of game development is promising everything, and delivering nothing.

same

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Think of it as a community project to get to page 3000 ad on Derek's birthday.

100 pages in a day? Madness.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Chalks posted:

To be fair if you're a fan of spore you're probably going to really enjoy Star Citizen.

My Autistic 11 year old son loves Spore, so your opinion checks out.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
The secret code hunt was fun to watch :)

Meanwhile, my guess(es) at the slow-burning E.L.E.:
  • Hundreds, if not thousands, of charge-backs have been processed by VISA/Mastercard/Paypal/etc, as a result of refused-refunds or credit-card-fraud, who have flagged CIG for investigation.
  • Hundreds of complaints for poor consumer practices have been filed at the US's Federal Trade Commission and UK's Office of Fair Trading, who have flagged CIG for investigation.
  • Dozens of reports of alleged fraud and money-laundering have been filed at the US's Inland Revenue Service and/or UK's HM Revenue & Customs, who have flagged CIG for investigation.
  • All of the above working in unison, building one huge legal case.

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

darkarchon posted:

Not that. look at the TOP of the image I've posted. There's something encrypted there.

Let me enhance:

Found it, pretty cool. Nemerov

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

D_Smart posted:

...because they couldn't figure it out :D

I didn't even bother with it. The real comedy comes from whales/redditors freaking out about whatever was inside it. The constant "I figured it out" and "Someone please PM me the answer" posts turned this thread into an unfunny mess all weekend

• Locked thread