Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Is that all copper, or just the mesh around it bunched up with some sort of crap?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Combat Pretzel posted:

Is that all copper, or just the mesh around it bunched up with some sort of crap?

Based on the fact that there are some hanging farther in the background and there are no extraordinary measures to keep things from falling over, I'm guessing the cables are standard 10ga copper wrapped in fiberfill enclosed in large-diameter ptfe hose wrapped in mesh.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Bigger cable = better sound, therefore making your cable as thick as an elephant dick = best sound.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

Panty Saluter posted:

crosspostin'

That's cheating. Those cables are clearly anacondas.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

grack posted:

That's cheating. Those cables are clearly anacondas.
Those anacondas don't want none unless you got preamps hun.

Unity Gain
Sep 15, 2007

dancing blue
Those things are creeping me out. Some kind of weird uncanny valley situation because they look alive or organic or like poo-engorged mesh colons. How on earth could anyone have thought those were a good idea? :psyduck:

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Devil's Advocate: if they're stuffed with aluminum braid or something and it has a path to ground that should attenuate RFI/EMI pretty effectively. Of course, so would a decent 99% coverage quad shield coax but it's not nearly as impressive :v:

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

I always laugh the most at the fact that those python snake-thick cables all end up in a speaker or amplifier terminal with a surface area of maybe 1 square centimeter.

Oh, and I'm surprised there hasn't been any development in making the + and - speaker terminals sit further apart. The sound could be crossjumping and jittering all over, so close they are, narrowing the soundstage.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

Panty Saluter posted:

Devil's Advocate: if they're stuffed with aluminum braid or something and it has a path to ground that should attenuate RFI/EMI pretty effectively. Of course, so would a decent 99% coverage quad shield coax but it's not nearly as impressive :v:

That's why balanced audio cables don't exist right

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Panty Saluter posted:

Devil's Advocate: if they're stuffed with aluminium braid or something and it has a path to ground that should attenuate RFI/EMI pretty effectively. Of course, so would a decent 99% coverage quad shield coax but it's not nearly as impressive :v:

They must be quite light in weight as the interconnect versions would put a lot more strain on the connectors between the source / pre-amp / power amps. I'm surprised people listening to that setup weren't aghast at part of the speaker cable being behind a curtain (slight 'veil' to the sound hohoho).

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Panty Saluter posted:

crosspostin'

Looks like they'd introduce a lot of hisssssss hissssssssss this is snek.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.

Gramophone? Cymbal? Brass quantum dynamic volume modulating disc?

This image has so much in it.

Edit:

A Lone Girl Flier fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Apr 5, 2016

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

This post is dedicated to all those who fell by the forums, for nothing is wasted, and every apparent failure is but a challenge to others.
This is a pretty good look at HD Audio guff: http://www.trustmeimascientist.com/2013/02/04/the-science-of-sample-rates-when-higher-is-better-and-when-it-isnt/

My favourite bit:

quote:

There are so many more important decisions to make: Whether that dB of EQ is hurting or helping, whether the bridge of the song comes in too early, whether we should move the mic or try another one, or whether we should have chicken or tuna for lunch.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I bought a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs to use at work for sound isolation but I'm hearing a really annoying noise coming from my laptop at work. Do I need a DAC to get rid of this sound and if so what's a cheap one that'll do the job?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Boris Galerkin posted:

I bought a pair of Shure SE215 IEMs to use at work for sound isolation but I'm hearing a really annoying noise coming from my laptop at work. Do I need a DAC to get rid of this sound and if so what's a cheap one that'll do the job?

Mobo noise is a bitch to eliminate in tight little integrated units, so yeah a little cheap USB DAC will definitely help.

http://amzn.com/B00OJ5AV8I

Something like that is usually enough to get rid of it.

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Apr 11, 2016

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Wasabi the J posted:

http://amzn.com/B00OJ5AV8I
Something like that is usually enough to get rid of it.

Question: Has anyone else noticed that the left and right audio channels are swapped?
Answer: I just tested and you are correct. Tested on Windows 8.1 with balance controls and with left/right test mp3's. It would seem that this product is fatally flawed.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

qirex posted:

Question: Has anyone else noticed that the left and right audio channels are swapped?
Answer: I just tested and you are correct. Tested on Windows 8.1 with balance controls and with left/right test mp3's. It would seem that this product is fatally flawed.

I'm kind of with this

e: everyone knows you gotta spend dough to get your channels right http://www.amazon.com/AudioQuest-DragonFly-Converter-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B00882U782

(actually I'm a little tempted because it's On Sale. I have no use for a USB DAC)

evilcat
May 16, 2009

qirex posted:

At that price if someone was handy enough with a soldering iron they could make a short extension cable with the L/R leads swapped on the plug or the jack end and hopefully end up with the channels unswapped. For the sale price that holds true, but at full price it's a major defect, but it's hard to argue with as of right now $8, a foot of wire and a set of the 1/8" stereo connectors, since that way if anything happens to it, it was broken anyways, and if nothing happens to it, you have an $8 DAC that works well enough. It would be enough for a laptop since it wouldn't matter if someone swiped it at a coffeeshop or somewhere, but definitely would be too cheap of a hack to make it worthwhile on a home computer.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

qirex posted:

http://amzn.com/B00XM883BK

Question: Are left and right audio channels swapped like they are in silver aluminum version?
Answer: I think that problem has been solved, because a while back I ordered one of these in silver and the audio channels where fine and not switched.
By tyler evan miller on August 27, 2015

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Is the switched channels an actual problem because I assumed I can just switch it back in software.

e: Man I can't wear these earbuds with them wrapped around my ears without feeling like a tool.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 12, 2016

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Not a problem, it's more something that makes you realise the sort of oversights that happen when you're making goods as cheap as possible.

A Lone Girl Flier
Sep 29, 2009

I wonder if you switched someone's hearing aids around as a sneaky trick if their brain would reverse the senses back to normal like when people wear the upside down goggles for too long.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
Why is it that both casual and rehearsed reviews of high end audio gear on youtube are done with the shittest mics and camera? It's like they all go out of their way to make a lovely recording. Shitter than lo-fi gamer reviews which are actually above average most of the time.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

so here's an interesting one, apparently at least on current tvs the benefits of hdr can be washed out with even a tiny amount of ambient light

quote:

Let’s recap the problem in a nutshell: the HDR presentation in current Ultra HD Blu-ray films is not bright enough for viewing under moderate/ strong ambient lighting, because the HDR metadata forces compatible TVs to be driven at their maximum backlight capacity, leaving no room for higher light output. Of course, there exist other avenues (such as gamma adjustment or dynamic contrast trickery) to brighten the on-screen image for daytime viewing, but these are generally insubstantial compared with the most effective method of raising backlight luminance.

A white paper titled “HDR/WCG Systems Survey: Emerging UHDTV Systems” published by leading calibration software developer SpectraCal here (email registration required to download) contains this illuminating snippet:
"For HDR, the industry is considering 5 nits (cd/m2) to be a desirable surround luminance level."
5 cd/m2 is very dark, roughly the amount of light generated by five lit candles; any switched-on room lamp is likely to exceed this figure.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So I'm actually mastering HDR content for a big studio. All I have to say is that it looks great but its not something you'd want to watch long term like a movie. Full brightness on current and future displays will burn your goddamn eyes out.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
There's your answer for why you can't hear the differences in 10,000 USD speaker cables: you aren't listening in an anechoic chamber

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Shaocaholica posted:

So I'm actually mastering HDR content for a big studio. All I have to say is that it looks great but its not something you'd want to watch long term like a movie. Full brightness on current and future displays will burn your goddamn eyes out.

yeah I heard about people stumbling out of the dolby vision demo theater at CES because they couldn't see right after the sizzle reel

thing is TVs are much smaller and most people don't go for full-on blackout curtains in their living room

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

qirex posted:

yeah I heard about people stumbling out of the dolby vision demo theater at CES because they couldn't see right after the sizzle reel

thing is TVs are much smaller and most people don't go for full-on blackout curtains in their living room

TBH, a mild HDR effect is fine and preferable IMO. Something like the LG OLED which can do 500nits is nice.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

I work with 4000 nit displays on a regular basis, in a well-lit room there's little eye strain and the effect is pretty impressive. Dolby et al have everything in a dark room because otherwise the effect gets washed out by ambient light, yeah, and that's where the eye strain comes in.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

josh04 posted:

I work with 4000 nit displays on a regular basis, in a well-lit room there's little eye strain and the effect is pretty impressive. Dolby et al have everything in a dark room because otherwise the effect gets washed out by ambient light, yeah, and that's where the eye strain comes in.

Haha. Its hard to find those displays in well lit rooms. Dolby Pulsar(s) right?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

No, it's this monster: http://www.sim2hdr.com/hdrdisplay/hdr47e_s_4k

You can buy one for your home cinema, if you've got $30,000 to spare.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

josh04 posted:

No, it's this monster: http://www.sim2hdr.com/hdrdisplay/hdr47e_s_4k

You can buy one for your home cinema, if you've got $30,000 to spare.

Is that an s-video input? :eyepop: I think I just found my new classic console powerball dream

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Yup, that's S-video. The company makes conference room projectors and screens, so the thing's jacked up with every kind of connector you could want. Except SCART.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

That's because no sane person ever wants SCART.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

SCART was a beautiful thing at the time. Fairly universal, but marred by an oversized and awkward design that meant heavy cables would break sockets, and manufacturers refusing to listen to specs. But the fact you could send composite, S video, RGB down one cable and have things like automated input switching was very cool.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Is Sim2 just a chip designer? I could swear the Seleco projectors we used to sell had that Sim2 logo as well.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I've got some s-video retro projects going on. Nice to find quality build videophile s-video cables these days for pennies.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Panty Saluter posted:

Is Sim2 just a chip designer? I could swear the Seleco projectors we used to sell had that Sim2 logo as well.

I think they're the same company, or the projector-building bit is.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Oh yeah, that's the good stuff:

These dudes listen to so much '70s rock, you think they'd know what a square wave sounds like

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Audiophiles suck!