Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
I like to imagine Chris attempting to woo investors, thinking his usual tricks and coding smoke and mirrors is going to go over the heads of professional game publishing companies, like it does with the cultists. There's such a stench around this product that it's no surprise the deals fell through. I guess Sandi's not marketing it to them properly. I also like to imagine that now he's trying to get some quick investment liquidity from some of the A-List actors he's been working with. Chris: "No, listen Gary, seriously, this is a sure thing. Don't you want your face in this product to be everywhere?" Gary: "It already is, Chris. Now gently caress off."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

Ravachol posted:

Ships? Please. I have a shiny golden butt plug with Ben's cherubic smiling face on the end with "Soon" engraved in cursive along its length.

No seriously, which ships do you have that you talk to ex-cig staff? You've got to be a whale I figure, what's your story and why are you trying to fly under the radar?

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015

SerCypher posted:

Immediately after you download the 30gb patch and crash 7 times trying to spawn a ship.

Source your quotes.

I don't crash too often anymore. Unless I do obviously dumb stuff like run the SC.exe without running the launcher first. Yeah the patching sucks, but Elite is so barren. I'm not into glorified single players mmos. SC is probably going to suck more when they implement the 90% AI or whatever and the LOLslider, but right now there are so many ways to interact with other 'Citizens" that I haven't run out of fun.

Probably the most annoying part right now is stolen ships despawning when I am flying it, that's retarded.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

AugmentedVision posted:

so nothing happaned, yall just yelling at uncle derek?

it's really cool now to seriously admonish derek smart in 2016 when derek smart's bluster was considered funny two decades ago

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Eonwe posted:

who misses Archergate
Hey don't sell yourself short, Eonwe-- watching your avatar get perpetually reset by enemies elsewhere was no less hilarious.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Thirsty Dog posted:

That'll change as soon as Roberts get in front of a camera again.
It's impressive CIG has to do damage contol for every time Croberts opens his mouth.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

AugmentedVision posted:

so nothing happaned, yall just yelling at uncle derek?

Yep. Expect a response in about 450 pages.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Icelands economy is gonna tank they are saying. I guess eve online might be out of business soon for tax shelters. J/K about the eve thing, but seriously icelands bond rating is like "Don't touch it, you'll get infected".

Panama thing is shedding light on how a company can invest in another company and invest in another....layers and layers of companies. It's like some kind of mutant onion with unlimited layers.

Anyways, who is excited for this saturdays WING COMMANDER SPECIAL? where we watch ben sit on a couch for hours and try to get up.

paaarp

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

Eonwe posted:

who misses Archergate

my heart still aches for this

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

I think we're on Post-Archer-Meltdown number two or three at this point, TBH

I just had to jump back a few days from when I came back. I assume this is it, since it was quoted a hundred times? Because holy :derp: if so.

D_Smart posted:

I am on p2788.

When I get to the current last page (2798) that I am on now, for every loving Ryan Archer post that I see, I won't post for 1 day. e.g. if I see 10 posts after p2798, that's 10 days that I won't post.

And when I do come back, I will start reading from page count + number of days. Which means that every thing that came before, I will neither read, nor respond to.

So yeah, you loving idiots need to stop with this Ryan Archer poo poo and go create another thread for it.

That is all.

Hell of a mELEtdown.

Edit: Also noticed during this search the thread moves like 30-40 pages a day. That's crazy.

Ragequit fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Apr 4, 2016

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Hey don't sell yourself short, Eonwe-- watching your avatar get perpetually reset by enemies elsewhere was no less hilarious.

I just noticed this morning that its still happening :psyduck:

its funny from their end, I just wish other goons wouldn't spend money to change it back because I'm the type that doesn't like people spending money on my account

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Sillybones posted:

Not for nothing, if there was one person I wanted to shut up about the code thing, it was you.

South shore Long Island resident spotted.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Tippis posted:

who misses Archergate

Only registered members can see post attachments!

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Liu posted:

elite is a bad game and the recommendations for it in this thread have left me disgusted tbh

compared to star citizen it is a game though and it is in space so if you really need to space it up you don't have much choice.

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
We do these things not because they are easy, but because we thought they would be easy.
Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

Anyways, who is excited for this saturdays WING COMMANDER SPECIAL? where we watch ben sit on a couch for hours and try to get up.

His wife, probably, since Wing Commander is the only way he can get it up.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

ShredsYouSay posted:

Boo that potato was great, whoever originally modelled it.

The potato is totally fine, just doesn't have models/textures. I'll get it pulled in, just started spending way too much time in photoshop trying to make materials for it, and they kept looking like gently caress.

If you wanna hop on google hangouts sometime and give me a quick tut on UV unwrapping, and also how to break monolithic models into sub-meshes, I would forever appresche.

blueberrysmith
May 4, 2006

Dirty Sanchez

thanks for this commando. fabulous original art.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Ragequit posted:

I just had to jump back a few days from when I came back. I assume this is it, since it was quoted a hundred times? Because holy :derp: if so.

Hell of a mELEtdown.

Yeah Derek had a meltdown, then the thread had a meltdown AT Derek, then National Treasure happened, now people are having more meltdowns at Derek.

But Galarox made a dope jpeg and I'm seriously approaching a "We're not so different, you and I..." moment with my reddit friend who used to hate me but now likes me because I said I like beef stew, so it's all good.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Dammit. You caught me. I'm just no good at copying Ryan's unique style. :(

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Needs an off-scale mouth.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Tippis posted:

Dammit. You caught me. I'm just no good at copying Ryan's unique style. :(

It's all in the wrists:smug:

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Ravachol posted:

Shots fired.

I don't take anything Derek says seriously as he's proven time and time again he's prone to over hyped hyperbole. He sees his personal crusade in cosmic terms, and every detail of CIGs effluent contains hidden meaning for him, which he sloshes around in his cup to try to divinate their Truth.

Honestly, Derek is the perfect reflection of a Citizen. And that's why I don't pay him any mind. I've talked to ex CIG and they've told me that the people there are great, Chris micromanages and works too hard, and that Sandi is both a nice person and a difficult person to work with. Is CIG going to fail? Of course - they've reached saturation with their target market and have only recently realized that you have to deliver some good every once in a while to keep the whales on the hook.

Will SC get finished? Probably somewhat. Squadron 42 will, at least. And it will probably be fun, for what little of it there is, and totally full of bugs.

People forget that CR is a wealthy guy, and he'll probably bankrupt himself before he allows CIG to go bust... If that happens, I guess we'll have a double serving of schadenfreude

What's his net worth?

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

Beet Wagon posted:

Yeah Derek had a meltdown, then the thread had a meltdown AT Derek, then National Treasure happened, now people are having more meltdowns at Derek.

But Galarox made a dope jpeg and I'm seriously approaching a "We're not so different, you and I..." moment with my reddit friend who used to hate me but now likes me because I said I like beef stew, so it's all good.

You have one hell of a Charisma score because in my mind Reddit is irredeemable.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

It's all in the wrists:smug:

I'd better get some tissues and start practicing, I suppose.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

Recipes will be the bridge that unites the world.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

FrankieGoes posted:

What's his net worth?

CR wasn't a wealthy guy before the SC dollar faucet was turned on full blast. It's all the same pot, friend.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

grimcreaper posted:

As a 90's kid i dont get this reference.

First Power Rangers intro. I think

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcYxilBIDSQ

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
The code cracking thing was a good ARG, because 'ARG' means 'ANGRY' in Swedish

runsamok
Jan 12, 2011

TTerrible posted:

CR wasn't a wealthy guy before the SC dollar faucet was turned on full blast. It's all the same pot, friend.

Yeah, if Chris had had the money at the outset he wouldn't have needed CryTek's help with the initial pitch videos & the whole project wouldn't have the CryEngine millstone around its neck. But he was so skint he had to rely on the kindness of others without realizing the inevitable consequences.

Toops
Nov 5, 2015

-find mood stabilizers
-also,

Kilmers Elbow posted:

New ship sale.

Introducing the TRITON.

holy frijoles!

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

Thank closest available deity for being an '80s kid. :stare:

Variable 5
Apr 17, 2007
Grimey Drawer

TTerrible posted:

Still, it's easy to save money when you just have your company buy everything for you as a marketing expense.

TacticalNecromancy
May 25, 2015

Let's get some more characters in on the comic book adventures of Dr. Smart.

---

High in orbit, a space-suited man nodded at his aide before he turned back to the window ahead of him. Outside, the Earth spun around their position, once a minute, an ever-changing vista of beauty. Of particular note today was the twisting beam of malefic light that had emerged from the atmosphere far below.

"Do we know what it is yet?"

"As far as we can tell, Mr. Braben, it matches the pattern of... well, it seems to be Dr. Smart's old Extinction Ray, scaled up a few dozen times."

"And aimed straight for the Cloud Empire?

"As far as we can tell, yes. Should we move to assist?"

"Assist whom? I've a million people needing me here already. We will maintain course for the duration... although, God help me, I may need to write a letter. The ray can only shatter the physical side of things; we would still need to contain the other side of it should the worst come to pass."

---

Hundreds of kilometres below, the Cloud Empire shook as the Extinction Ray struck home.

As the master of this place headed for his meeting room through corridors of ivory and gold, he watched a pair of crewmen run desperately for an escape pod. Neither made it; one fell screaming through the seemingly solid floor while the second almost got to the door before he was compacted into a sphere and violently accelerated to escape velocity.
Served the leavers right. Idiots, all of them! The Cloud Empire was his finest work, a device to turn dreams directly into reality! It would reform itself after this little barrage, as it must! Crew were replaceable, the Empire was not.

He turned a corner and proceeded through a wide collection of doors that increased in complexity one after the other. Only the greatest Citizens had the capacity to even comprehend the last door, the one that sealed the meeting room. As he emerged into it, resplendent in his one-piece turtle-necked jumpsuit, he noted that only two of the others were here.

"Thing, where is the Human Disco?", he asked, as politely as one could to the creature before him.

"My name is Ben, Ch-" Sadly, he was interrupted by a barked 'SILENCE' from the Overly Visible Woman beside him and sighed. "I've not seen him for a while, sir."

"Well, never mind, you'll do. We need to, uh, just get through this bombardment and we'll be home free. Sort of. Uh. It'll recover in time, we have enough support to keep us running and the dreams flowing."

"About that, sir... We're burning through our reserves quite quickly. The most loyal will sustain our- your power for quite some time, but some of the lesser ones have been reduced to shrivelled husks already."

"Aaaah... they'll do. Um. I ah... you see... just need this to last a little longer."

That, at the least was true. He'd gotten this far and powered the Cloud Empire by leaching divinity off of others, but they were starting to waver. The Old Man had turned away, his image broken and desecrated a thousand times a thousand times. Anders' Daughter was a sceptical as ever, as was her nature... only the Miller remained, his mad smile and jackal-like laugh bound to the Empire for His own amusement. Now he was relying on the belief of a million souls to empower himself and his glorious Empire of dreams. He saw his own dreams were almost ready to fade into reality: A walkway made of stars. Golden statues proclaiming his genius. He would become a true god, of his own creation.
Regrettably, his power-crazed reverie was interrupted by the Thing's voice, one of the few remaining hints of reality here.

"Um, sir? It looks like Sm- 'his' fortress is collapsing under the strain of this attack... I can see that some of the goons have been turned to literal pillars of salt by some of the blowback, but- Oh hell, there's something coming towards us."

A static filled communications screen opened on the wall behind the assembled Fantasising Four, the Thumbtastic Man's archest of Nemeses was barely visible at the helm of his battlecruiser, bathrobe dramatically flapping in the wind. "ROBERTS!" came the cry, clear even though the snow and the hiss. "It's loving OVER!"

---

Elsewhere, in a distant land, the Foundry was working overtime to forge new machines from the dreamstuff that poured from the Cloud Empire. All around, half-finished spaceships were left in varying states of disrepair and covered in the same scrawl that suggested they were slightly imperfect. Amidst the noise and the chaos, the owner was handed a letter. He read it once, paused and read it again.

"David, you can't be serious. We sealed that away for a reason." he breathed, scarcely able to believe what he'd read.

After drumming his fingers on the desk for a while, he scribbled a quick note on a piece of paper and then very carefully and deliberately leaned over to pressed the big button that shut down the Foundry. As he stood, a sea of faces turned to him and it took him a moment to find his voice while looking over his old friends.

"I'm... aware that we have some of the group known as the Eight Aces here. I don't want to ask questions, and I don't want to know anything. What I do have is a piece of paper with a location and an objective. I'm just going to leave it by the printer here and then popping out for lunch. "

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Jason Sextro posted:

G0RF you definitely have the best effort posts in this thread by a long mile, but it kind of looks like you're still holding out hope for some kind of redemption. I'm not sure there is going to be one, the only redemption I can see is in the possible form of a federal indictment (who knows if that'll be true, of course). None of the principal actors here have ever taken the more principled approach when they've had the chance.

I'm reasonably sure that effort posts require there to be at least an inkling of hope. It takes a lot of effort to put together a really good post, and you can't do that unless you believe that it will have some kind of impact. That's the reason I made all of the posts I did on RSI and here that discussed everything from the viability of CIG's business model to the necessity of emphasizing quality of life improvements when using crowd-sourced testers. Unfortunately for me I lost the belief that change was feasible after they fired James and subsequently lost the drive. I don't know what G0RF is driving towards but I see the same inspiration in his writing that I felt myself.

Ash1138 posted:

goons are a lot like orks

shame that beer did not realize this

Often you fail to see that which is right in front of you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Screams eeeEEE posted:

You have one hell of a Charisma score because in my mind Reddit is irredeemable.

The key to reddit is to put all your points into CON so that you have the hitpoints to slog through the horrible shitstorm for long enough.

But then also never go there. Because it's bad.

Ragequit posted:

Recipes will be the bridge that unites the world.

Not exactly a "Not so different" speech, but I'll take it:

my girlfriend is Legos
Apr 24, 2013
Tippis, Tijuana Bibliophile and I are in the Swedish mafia together FYI

Kakarot
Jul 20, 2013

by zen death robot
Buglord

Galarox posted:

On this day in History:

Massive thanks to Beetwagon who provided the wonderful text.

Also thanks to those other Goons who got back to me and offwered their writing services.

:prepop:

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Often you fail to see that which is right in front of you.

The writing is on the fourth wall.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

chris roberts is only a wealthy guy now that idiots have flushed their squillions into his sewer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the crabbiest of customer service. That's the CIG difference.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/6535759/#Comment_6535759

• Locked thread