Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

notoriousman posted:

lol, this isn't the stock market buddy

how much are you in for/did you get anything refunded (and if so how much)

also hi

A few thousand sprinkled over the years. People keep asking, and I don't want to talk about it. There's a remote chance it'll come back and make my refund more difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
I'd love it if LET ME loving FINISH was something Erin shouted at (Sandi?) during his visit to the States. It'd be trolling on top of trolling and just twisting the thumbscrews that much tighter on Sandi's paranoia about who is leaking.

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

Ravachol posted:

Dreams die hard. Space opera based on Heart of Darkness staring Gary Oldman is pretty much all I want from a game.

Oh well, there's always the vast and crushing solitude of Elite to fall back on.

The "attack a better real game that's actually been released" gambit.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Are people reading the same post I am? The only 2 blatantly inaccurate parts are SQ42 being fun and Chris being a "wealthy guy." The rest is pretty negative.

probably "I talked to CIG guys and it's totally a great place to work, Chris works hard..." etc.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib

Ravachol posted:

A few thousand sprinkled over the years. People keep asking, and I don't want to talk about it. There's a remote chance it'll come back and make my refund more difficult.

I don't think there's a remote chance your money will come back unless you charge back.

Galarox
Sep 23, 2015

Fun Shoe

SerCypher posted:

You can always buy later it if it comes out.

Just get a refund.

Had to quote you cos I love your AV :)

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Justin Tyme posted:

why can't the parts just be heat treated to recrystallize the grains?

That is essentially how they strengthen and remove direction dependence. They heat the parts up under very high pressure, and it fills some voids. Right now the issue is determining how strong a part is, or make lifetime estimates. The micro-structure is heavily dependent on the cooling rate which is determined by the geometry and location on a part (ie the first passes will cool faster than the last). They also don't really know exactly how different cooling rates affect things. This makes creating samples difficult because the stress/strain data doesn't really translate.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Rhubarb94 posted:

The "disposable income" gambit.

"I didn't want/need that money anyway."

Ravachol
Apr 4, 2016

Jason Sextro posted:

probably "I talked to CIG guys and it's totally a great place to work, Chris works hard..." etc.

They said the people are great, not that it's a great place to work. If it was a great place to work they wouldn't have such attrition problems.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I'm reading Cobbler's latest bird thread and dying

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/325209/birds-why-waiting-is-good/p1

Gravity_Storm
Mar 1, 2016

So the whole ELE thing was bullshit then?

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

Ravachol posted:

I dont think I'm Sandi, since last I checked I'm a mammal not a reptile.

Join us in the race to closing the thread and you can be whoever you want friend.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I got to hand it to Derek, even though I was too :effort: to try to crack the code, I was convinced it was something big.

And I don't know about the rest of you, but I think the reaction has been special. Truly, there is no distinction between the best and worst of SA.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rhubarb94 posted:

The "attack a better real game that's actually been released" gambit.

He didn't attack it. He described it truthfully. It's soul crushing game where you almost never run into people.

But who am I to say anything. I spent 2 hours attempting to learn how the take off and land without using the tutorial ND said gently caress It and haven't played since.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Jason Sextro posted:

Actually I don't doubt that Chris works his rear end off. I've worked with complete loving incompetent tools before, and a LOT of them have no idea they're incompetent, and they work 80+ hour workweeks and ruin everything they lay their hands on. Chris eats, sleeps, and shits the belief that he is a director, and I'm sure he has his hands in something nearly 24/7. All of it ruined.

Not sure about Sandi being "nice" though. Best I'd give her is "superficially polite when forced".

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Gravity_Storm posted:

The ELE is real and incoming. The code had nothing to do with it, but was a fun aside from Beer.

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011

Ravachol posted:

I dont think I'm Sandi, since last I checked I'm a mammal not a reptile.

As for my story, I was a whale who got whale like perks and is working through the unsettling realization that this is all about to fall apart. I'm just fortunate that what I stand to lose isn't that consequential for me. Others won't be. I should have headed for the door when CR threw his tantrum on the RSI site.

I came for the fallout, stayed for the shitposts.

Wrong way of thinking, friend, you haven't lost anything yet- CIG has just failed to deliver a product within their specified timeframe and they are more than capable of giving your money back. And if they refuse to refund your money, issue a chargeback based on non-delivery of goods or services. Most major cards by this point have a note on CIG to fast-track all claims. Don't just write off your money, it's your money and it's sitting there waiting for you to get it back. Don't let them run away with it and squander it.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Gravity_Storm posted:

No my friend, it's been all around you this whole time!

Spudalicious
Dec 24, 2003

I <3 Alton Brown.

Duckaerobics posted:

In honor of :justpost:ing I went to a seminar on additive manufacturing today and I'll talk about it a little bit since I know some of you are into 3D printing.

This seminar was on metal 3d printing and developing methods to determine strength and material properties. Basically very complex structures can be made, but they are weaker than cast materials and have direction dependent properties directly out of the machine. Produced items are stronger in the x and y directions than the z direction. Some methods of improving strength and removing the direction dependence were discussed. Improved materials still suffer from fatigue issues, due to voids/imperfections in the micro-structure. GE is currently pushing for better production and evaluation methods so they can get the FAA to let them print jet engine parts. There is apparently only one AM part certified by the FAA and it is essentially non-structural. I think it will be some time before AM parts are certified for commercial aircraft, but they will probably be in military applications before too long.

I hope you enjoyed this time/space waster.

I'm assuming this is regarding metal laser sintering AM. I am curious as to what post-print processes are available for smoothing surfaces to fine tolerances (we are examining possiblity of 3d-printed telescope optics, which have sub-micron tolerances). Also it looks like the SuperDraco rocket engine from SpaceX is fully 3d-printed using metal laser sintering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDraco. How can that be :confused:

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

grimcreaper posted:

He didn't attack it. He described it truthfully. It's soul crushing game where you almost never run into people.

But who am I to say anything. I spent 2 hours attempting to learn how the take off and land without using the tutorial ND said gently caress It and haven't played since.

Well done for giving your money to a competent developer.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Scruffpuff posted:

Actually I don't doubt that Chris works his rear end off. I've worked with complete loving incompetent tools before, and a LOT of them have no idea they're incompetent, and they work 80+ hour workweeks and ruin everything they lay their hands on. Chris eats, sleeps, and shits the belief that he is a director, and I'm sure he has his hands in something nearly 24/7. All of it ruined.

Not sure about Sandi being "nice" though. Best I'd give her is "superficially polite when forced".

So I have to ask, being that I'm from a northern hinterland - is that an American thing, that it's better to put long hours in doing incompetent work than to use your time better? I've been hearing a lot of people complain about that attitude but I have no idea if it's a cultural thing or not. I can't imagine it only happens in America, of course.

Cuntpunch
Oct 3, 2003

A monkey in a long line of kings
Isn't it time for this week's "Crobbers says yes 10 times but takes 10,000 words to do it"?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

It would be pretty funny if both EightAce and Derek are right about the finances. Meaning, there is a good amount of cash left ("good amount" open to interpretation), but they can't use it because their refund denials sparked an investigation which will result in them being forced to offer refunds to anyone who wants them. Meaning an unknown amount of that cash is spoken for, so even they don't know how much they'll really have left afterwards.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6g-ECx-7xw

quote:

Chairman of Cloud Imperium Games Chris Roberts answers 10 questions from our development subscribers.

02:15 - Manually Activated Flight Modes
04:32 - Distress Beacon
06:30 - Localization
09:04 - Ship Mounted Shotgun
13:08 - Group Ship Updates
17:11 - More Slots in the Instance
25:12 - Future Concept Ships
28:36 - Company Synergy Bonuses When Choosing Components
30:19 - Piloting Large Ships
32:49 - Glaive for Spare Parts

kikkelivelho
Aug 27, 2015

Is Elite D planning to have FPS segments later on?

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

Jason Sextro posted:

I hope whatever the ELE is, it somehow involves both the Star Citizen Saudi horse and the Uppsala mafia.

Swedish mafia kills horse to get insurance money, sells meat to Ikea for use in meatballs.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

I like to imagine Chris attempting to woo investors, thinking his usual tricks and coding smoke and mirrors is going to go over the heads of professional game publishing companies, like it does with the cultists. There's such a stench around this product that it's no surprise the deals fell through. I guess Sandi's not marketing it to them properly. I also like to imagine that now he's trying to get some quick investment liquidity from some of the A-List actors he's been working with. Chris: "No, listen Gary, seriously, this is a sure thing. Don't you want your face in this product to be everywhere?" Gary: "It already is, Chris. Now gently caress off."

Considering Gary is reportedly righteously pissed at him, I don't think he's going to give him any money.

Seriously, all the Star Citizen toxicity, coupled with the fact that ALL of this bullshit is online for EVERYONE to see, is never - ever - going to result in an ANY investor putting money into this now. Like ever. The guys willing to shell out the kind of money they need to finish (LOL!) this project, do painstaking due diligence. Then again, if he goes the route of "alternate" (wink-wink) funding, all bets are off. But he probably won't, since he'd rather not mess with that sort of thing knowing that he's never going to be able to deliver.

Seriously, they're hosed.

Banano
Jan 10, 2005
Soiled Meat

Ravachol posted:

Dreams die hard. Space opera based on Heart of Darkness staring Gary Oldman is pretty much all I want from a game.

Oh well, there's always the vast and crushing solitude of Elite to fall back on.

Like specifically :gary: or would a similarly ranked actor have been sufficient?

How much?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Jason Sextro posted:

So I have to ask, being that I'm from a northern hinterland - is that an American thing, that it's better to put long hours in doing incompetent work than to use your time better? I've been hearing a lot of people complain about that attitude but I have no idea if it's a cultural thing or not. I can't imagine it only happens in America, of course.

It's definitely ingrained in some parts of the United States that extremely hard work = success. You still have people here who brag about how many hours they put in, while everyone knows they produce nothing. Other people put in 20 hours and do 5 times the work, and they get poo poo on.

In some parts of the tech sector, that attitude is changing, but it's slow to catch on. U.S. culture leans towards bluster and chest-beating, not results, but we have our share of highly skilled workers like anywhere else, and thankfully those are the people running things behind the scenes. Usually thanklessly, but it keeps the lights on.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

Duckaerobics posted:

In honor of :justpost:ing I went to a seminar on additive manufacturing today and I'll talk about it a little bit since I know some of you are into 3D printing.

This seminar was on metal 3d printing and developing methods to determine strength and material properties. Basically very complex structures can be made, but they are weaker than cast materials and have direction dependent properties directly out of the machine. Produced items are stronger in the x and y directions than the z direction. Some methods of improving strength and removing the direction dependence were discussed. Improved materials still suffer from fatigue issues, due to voids/imperfections in the micro-structure. GE is currently pushing for better production and evaluation methods so they can get the FAA to let them print jet engine parts. There is apparently only one AM part certified by the FAA and it is essentially non-structural. I think it will be some time before AM parts are certified for commercial aircraft, but they will probably be in military applications before too long.

I hope you enjoyed this time/space waster.

Spudalicious posted:

I'm assuming this is regarding metal laser sintering AM. I am curious as to what post-print processes are available for smoothing surfaces to fine tolerances (we are examining possiblity of 3d-printed telescope optics, which have sub-micron tolerances). Also it looks like the SuperDraco rocket engine from SpaceX is fully 3d-printed using metal laser sintering: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperDraco. How can that be :confused:

There's sintering and there's sintering.
Electron Beam Melting produces parts of quite high tensile strengths.

Unfortunately, it's fussy, expensive, and probably doesn't scale that well.

There's also this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s9IdZ2pI5dA

Fun starts at 1:00.
Give it time, it'll blow your mind.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

Galarox posted:

On this day in History:

Massive thanks to Beetwagon who provided the wonderful text.

Also thanks to those other Goons who got back to me and offwered their writing services.

:five:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

CashEnsign posted:

Honestly I enjoy the tech demo that is Star Citizen more than Elite. I log into PU and immediately grab a ship, fly to the asteroid belt or pork K and go shoot poo poo. I log into Eve Online Elite, and poo poo what do I do where do I start, where are the real players this is huge, empty and boring as hell. WHeeeeeeeeee log out.

I did 7 years of Eve Online, that's enough "play this game like a job" learning curve for me.

Spawn in the newbie system, jump next door to Eravate, start the pee v pee. It's that simple.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

kikkelivelho posted:

No FPS, as far as I have seen, but perhaps some tentative walking around in ships.

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

Rhubarb94 posted:

Well done for giving your money to a competent developer.

Im glad to support the game. While its not my type right now, its looking to continue expanding for a while so it might be a worthwhile purchase eventually.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

i'm glad Derek is doubling down on saying the same thing over and over, it's really getting under my goonskin

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

kikkelivelho posted:

Yes. No idea on the timescale, but it's always been part of the plan.

They've done some work on an avatar creator already. We'll be seeing some early examples of it in action next update, where it'll be used to generate persistent NPCs.

edit: an early look at it here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Em7TLwFifE&t=951s

In the future, everyone is bald (or at the time of the video, they hadn't got the hair right yet.)

tooterfish fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 4, 2016

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

kikkelivelho posted:

Yes, some speculation would be next years season pass, but its unknown when.

Trapezium Dave
Oct 22, 2012

I enjoyed the code hunt, although it was frustrating for the first part where I didn't know about the Babel website and was trying Bible Codes. :v:

I'm mainly waiting in the thread to see when Star Citizen will fall apart, because it's going to make waves.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

tooterfish posted:

Yes. No idea on the timescale, but it's always been part of the plan.

They've done some work on an avatar creator already. We'll be seeing some early examples of it in action next update, where it'll be used to generate persistent NPCs.

Frontier obviously knows nothing about game development. They're supposed to say "yes," show a fake trailer, tell people full FPS is days, not weeks, away, then wait a year and tell everything that they're annoyed by all the questions because you're seeing the inside of your cockpit from a first-person perspective, and you can shoot, so FPS is already in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Distress Beacon System: CONFIRMED

• Locked thread