Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
I'm going to be watching
Bakemonogatari
Patlabor
Both!
Neither
View Results

• Locked thread
Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Remember, episodes 3-5 are for Wednesday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Command Ant posted:

Ha ha, it rounded his weight up.

Oh. For a second I thought he'd had some weird inversion of Hitagi's curse.

Kind of a nightmarish show at points, ain't it? Fascinating, but man...Even the sexual tension and fanservice feels uncomfortable.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Command Ant posted:

Ha ha, it rounded his weight up.

lol, I didn't catch that

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Good show

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Watched the episodes earlier. I was really taken with the animation, especially the film strip and spaghetti bit in the first episode. It isn't always appropriate, but I wish more shows with a weird or comedic bent did this.

Not entiiiiirely sure how to take the first two minutes, but, uh. I'll keep it in mind I guess.

The scene in Hitagi's house was a good way of showing the characters building rapport, but it does that anime thing where if one character is being sarcastic, the other has to be dumbstruck and totally off-gaurd. But I've seen worse, and I'm glad Araragi doesn't act like an imbecile.

Kind of bummed at the preview for the third epsiode. Obviously you're gonna tease out that the two main characters might gently caress, but you've got a whole season. Take your time.

Also, they just drop that the other girl is a vampire out of nowhere, in front of Hitagi. Seems like a "need to know" thing.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I think Araragi just likes playing along. There's a scene in Nisemonogatari that kinda reinforces that.

As for the little-er vampire, read the prequel Kizumonogatari! On sale now!! (And in theaters)

Next week: the best-yet-worst character.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Namtab posted:

Even that vague imagery contains answers

To go back to this, remember when she was describing the attempted rape and you see the mother. There's a hole where her face should be because the crab has removed the memory of her mother's face.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

LOVE LOVE SKELETON posted:

Watched the episodes earlier. I was really taken with the animation, especially the film strip and spaghetti bit in the first episode. It isn't always appropriate, but I wish more shows with a weird or comedic bent did this.

Not entiiiiirely sure how to take the first two minutes, but, uh. I'll keep it in mind I guess.

The scene in Hitagi's house was a good way of showing the characters building rapport, but it does that anime thing where if one character is being sarcastic, the other has to be dumbstruck and totally off-gaurd. But I've seen worse, and I'm glad Araragi doesn't act like an imbecile.

Kind of bummed at the preview for the third epsiode. Obviously you're gonna tease out that the two main characters might gently caress, but you've got a whole season. Take your time.

Also, they just drop that the other girl is a vampire out of nowhere, in front of Hitagi. Seems like a "need to know" thing.

Bakemono is a story that takes place after big events, but only references those events rather than elaborating on them. It's like that in the original book series too, since it wasn't delved into till the 3rd book, so it's ok to be a bit perplexed on those matters.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

This was definitely way more real than I expected based on what little I'd heard about the series.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Namtab posted:

To go back to this, remember when she was describing the attempted rape and you see the mother. There's a hole where her face should be because the crab has removed the memory of her mother's face.

OH. I get it.

So, to make sure I'm following - she had a falling out with her mother following the incident, whereupon she repressed the whole fuckin' thing, represented metaphorically by her encounter with the crab-god as well as in the literal sense in the show, right? And the exorcism thus necessarily involved helping Hitagi reach some closure with the affair?

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Something that didn't surprise me based on what I'd heard: the nature of the curse hinging on a small bit of wordplay.

Blhue
Apr 22, 2008

Fallen Rib
The supernatural stuff is real here, it's not just convenient symbols for psychological issues

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Blhue posted:

The supernatural stuff is real here, it's not just convenient symbols for psychological issues

Yeah, that's why I said her trauma was represented both LITERALLY and metaphorically through the crab-God here. The crab-god actually existed in-universe, obviously, it's just that it and the curse being used narratively to further explore Hitagi's emotional state.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

That's the crux of it yeah.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
So far, this show is everything I like about Shaft.

I've spent years wondering what that little girl with the gigantic backpack is all about, and thanks to this simulwatch, I'll no longer have an excuse for not knowing.

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

Motto posted:

This was definitely way more real than I expected based on what little I'd heard about the series.

Until I actually watched it, I had discounted this series as nothing but skeevy fanservice based on internet comments. While there is a lot of that, the show stands tall on its characters and storytelling (and art and music) and mostly throws in the pervy stuff as hit-or-miss comedy interludes.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Speaking of which, I like the occasional blending of live imagery into the animation. Sometimes it's funny, others it's incredibly discomfiting.

Jostiband
May 7, 2007

That was way too information overload for this time at night, so I'll probably watch it again some times tommorrow, but that was a funny cut.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Command Ant posted:

So far, this show is everything I like about Shaft.

I've spent years wondering what that little girl with the gigantic backpack is all about, and thanks to this simulwatch, I'll no longer have an excuse for not knowing.

There seems to be a weird thing with words - as in actual, written text - with this show. The constant cuts to title cards, the notations showing up on objects within the universe from shot to shot, the crab-god made out of words. It's interesting to look at and contributes a lot to the surreal, nightmarish feel of the first two episodes, but I'll be interested to see if that serves a clearer thematic purposes by the end or if it's just a really weird sort of greek chorus.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I mean, one of those is partially because they ran out of money/time.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

they do make a thing out of it though, its still there in the later seasons (and shaft is rich now) and for the blu rays while they cleared up a few i think the better ones are still there

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Namtab posted:

booooring

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Davincie posted:

they do make a thing out of it though, its still there in the later seasons (and shaft is rich now) and for the blu rays while they cleared up a few i think the better ones are still there

They fixed it for the dvds, yeah.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I haven't watched this show since it first aired so that was really cool to come back to. I completely forgot about the Kizu tease in the beginning.

Hearing Senjougahara Tore still hits the feels even if I have listened to that song a million times.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Oh yeah it was funny seeing how much worse it looks compared to later seasons of gatari (it's still very pretty looking though). In my head Bake still looked as nice as the current stuff.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Admoon posted:

Oh yeah it was funny seeing how much worse it looks compared to later seasons of gatari (it's still very pretty looking though). In my head Bake still looked as nice as the current stuff.

Huh, I already thought that this looked nice for the most part.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

Motto posted:

Huh, I already thought that this looked nice for the most part.

Yeah I didn't mean to imply it looked bad, just that I noticed a difference between them that I never recognized before.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Admoon posted:

Yeah I didn't mean to imply it looked bad, just that I noticed a difference between them that I never recognized before.

Nah, I got your meaning, but now I'm interested in seeing how much better future seasons look.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I hope y'all are watching the Blu-Ray versions. They really pretty it up.

As for the "out of money" comment, it's also partly due them adapting a super word-heavy novel. Any other studio would've wasted this material.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Apr 5, 2016

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Namtab posted:

maybe that's the best way to incorporate that kind of thing. presumably, cuts that were more important got priority when they had cash, so you work the cards in at places where they're least likely to weaken the show.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

HellCopter posted:

I hope y'all are watching the Blu-Ray versions. They really pretty it up.

As for the "out of money" comment, it's also partly due them adapting a super word-heavy novel. Any other studio would've wasted this material.

There are definitely other people that could do a good job in that regard

It would be hella different but I would love to think of what could happen if Yuasa adapted it

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm compelled by a ghost to post this.

quote:

Pre-Watch Writeup
I first decided to watch Bakemonogatari around September of 2010, approximately a year after its release, because that was when the novels were officially brought over to Korea. Plus, I’d just started my mandatory military service at an elementary school, and had a ton of free time, so I decided to read the novels to kill time. I was already familiar with the story, having read it on an anime blog, so I decided to finish an arc, watch the corresponding episodes, finish the next arc, and so on. I’d do this for all of Bake and Karen Bee, but I’d give up on doing so for Tsukihi Phoenix cause some of the timeline stuff confused me (my Korean isn’t perfect now, and was worse back then).

I’m not very good at imagining written text. I can’t really visualize stuff very well cause my mind tends to wander. So after finishing the first arc, Hitagi Crab, I began watching the episodes. I’m pretty sure it was during Korean Thanksgiving, cause I watched it at my grandparent’s place. So yeah, I was expecting things to be quite different from how I imagined them, but I wasn’t half as prepared as I should have been. I’d watched Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei before, but somehow I still wasn’t ready for Shaft. Also the illustrations for the novel were very different from the anime’s art style.

So this is sort of a trip down memory lane and the very first Japanese novel I read.

I’m new to this whole simulwatch thing and I can’t even post anyways so the post is gonna be overly long and poorly formatted. Sorry.

quote:

Live Writeup
loving Plex layered Bakemonogatari with Owarimonogatari so I accidentally started up episode 1 of Owari and was taken aback for a second.

Hanekawa’s_Underwear.txt

I’d end up reading Kizu after Bake, so most of this stuff didn’t make too much sense to me back then. At least I remember it now.

The staircase scene is probably what made me realize that Bake wasn’t gonna be like most of the anime I’d seen before. I was pretty sure the light novels made no mention of sweeping spiral staircases that reached like 1000000 miles high or whatever. But yeah, I think this scene defined what Bakemonogatari was gonna be like for me. Visual exaggerations.

I like staple stable. It’s a good song. All Bake OPs are good in my opinion.

I wish I could spin pens like Hanekawa.

Catchphrases!

This was nearly 7 years ago and the animation is still so good.

Chat_Thread_Yuri_Sensors.txt

AW gently caress.

I don’t think cockroaches do that.

AW FUCKTITS.

Who the gently caress leaves a banana peel that high.

Man I wish I could meet that crab. Though it was just take away my weight and not my fat.

Gahara-san has a really nice and alluring voice.

AWWWWWW SHITTITS MOTHERFUCKER NO.

Hanekawa’s confusion is cute. Hanekawa is cute.
Why does the school have 2 types of staircases.

gently caress YEAH BADASS GAHARA-SAN.

Her voice is still good.

Littering is bad. Please don’t litter.

Oshino is pretty moe, what are you saying, Araragi. I like his pointy beard thing.

Heh heh heh. I love wordplay.

I really like this back and forth between Araragi and Gahara. Snappy and quick. Dialogue is good.

More Shaft visuals. I hear Madoka is good, too bad it ends on episode 3.

I would call her Senjougahara-sama. Totally would.

I loving love Gahara-san.

Shinobu! The best Monogatari girl!

“I can do it myself.” I guess in a way that defines Senjougahara. A girl trying to bear all the burdens by herself.

More wordplay that I like. Crabs and Gods. I remember there was this cute manga that did the same thing with Hair and God, since they’re both Kami. It was called Shuukan Shounen Girl. Read it if you haven’t already. It’s a good series. Chapter 3 is the best chapter objectively. The hair chapter is chapter 6.

Names are one of the major themes of the Monogatari series, I think, somewhat like how dying messages and catchphrases were a major part in Katanagatari. Like, stories of how knowing something’s (true) name will give you power over it occur often with demons, I think. And there’s the common fairy tale of Rumpelstiltskin, whose plot to steal a kid was foiled when they managed to come up with his name. To know a name is to know an identity. And to know thy enemy is to beat thy enemy or something like that. Essentially you possess dominion over it.

I forgot which series it was that stated that Japan was the land of Gods. Maybe it was Monogatari. Or maybe it was Type-Moon. I dunno. Nurahon no Mago or whatever it’s called? Ushio to Tora?

Yeeeeeeeees. Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari. Another thing that really enamored me to Bakemonogatari. Even today, it’s still the best anime ED ever in my opinion. It just strikes all the right cords, I think. Visually and especially musically. It’s just a really nice song. A hint of wistfulness, nostalgia, sadness, etc. etc. All accentuated by a powerful voice. I know nothing about music. Especially during the part where Gazelle (the only name I know her by) sings “Watashi wo~~~~~~.” The notes and the pictures match up perfectly and I’m honestly a big fan of this sorta stuff. Like the ED to High School Girl, around the 55 second mark, where the chick does swings her arms up as the cymbal noise strikes. Too bad the art style of the anime was nothing like the ED. I tried watching it on Crunchyroll and hated it. Or a buncha stuff in Love Live, like Honoka’s solo part in Snow Halation where the entire place lights up as she begins to sing.

I really really really really really really really really like Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari is what I am saying. No other Monogatari ED comes close.

gently caress my Plex stream is buffering.

I don’t get this next episode preview. I’m dumb.

gently caress WHY IS PLEX FREEZING SO OFTEN.

I’m not gonna read all that text. <- Probably what someone will say about my post.

Like me, Gahara-san has no shame.

It’s cool how the patterns on Senjougahara-‘s underwear are just static and don’t move along with the clothes. I guess people might have different opinions on that sorta visual style but I’ve loved it ever since Gankutsuou. Speaking of Gankutsuou, this was probably my favorite scene. It was a visually awesome show and I watched it during my spare time between classes in uni. But I don’t think I’d watch it again. Only did cause I liked the Count of Monte Cristo.

Gahara-san is such a troll. She’s a very multifaceted character. I love her various expressions and mannerisms. I really really really enjoy her dialogue. Araragi plays very nicely off her.
I’m very like Araragi. I only know useless things.

A ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha. Genuine surprise.

Awwwww yeah jokes involving rounding numbers! I unironically love those!

SHAFT HEAD TILTS gently caress YES. gently caress YES. FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES.

MORE HEAD TILTS.

Some deep stuff. Probably not something I can livepost about.

More wordplay. One of the reasons I really enjoyed Bakemonogatari. I like wordplay if you haven’t noticed.

More visual awesomeness.

Oshino is badass!!!!!

Same. I don’t like eating crab. Or lobster.

Yes, Ika, Kaisou! It’s my absolute favorite piece of music in all of Monogatari. If Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari is the ED that defines the series for me, then this soundtrack is the OST that feels more like Monogatari than anything else. Hyouri is pretty close too, and the two have similar vibes and chimes, and the tune becomes similar like 30-something seconds in, but Ika, Kaisou has this…. sense of being more mysterious and foreboding. It’s the kind of music that sends a chill up your spine when you first listen to it. Whereas Hyouri starts off somewhat slower and softer. I wouldn’t say soothing, but it’s not as ominous as Ika, Kaisou, I’d say? Ika, Kaisou really works to set the mood for the ‘monsters’ of Bakemonogatari. They’re not your traditional monsters from your average shounen monster-of-the-week fare, they’re something beyond human comprehension. Closer to concepts that transcend the realm of thought rather than ~spooky~ boogiemen to be feared.

I hear Ika, Kaisou all the time nowdays cause there’s a Korean song program (sorta like American Idol, I think. And there are a bunch of them.) that uses it as the background music whenever they’re about to judge a contestant or something. I dunno I just hear that poo poo when my family watches it. Here’s an example. :siren:Spoilers:siren: for the next arc though so just listen to the first 10 seconds if you do end up clicking on it if you haven’t seen Bakemonogatari yet. Korean variety shows tend to use a lot of music from all sorts of genres.

Anyways the point is that I like Ika, Kaisou.

More deep stuff!

The way that Senjougahara’s backstory is portrayed, with the real photo of a woman representing her mother, those bizarre backgrounds, the faceless beings, the hands reaching out for her, the realistic backgrounds, etc. make it really unnerving when contrasted against her animated style. It’s otherworldly but at the same time all too real and disturbing.

The resolution.

Araragi’s sisters! They’re cute!!!!!

I wanna talk more about the deep stuff but it’s past 12 am. I spent nearly 2 hours watching 2 episodes. It’s my iDOLM@STER liveposting all over again!!!!! So I’ll just post while I’m at work. Simulwatches take a lot of time, huh. Maybe I’m doing it wrong.

AND gently caress PLEX IS BUFFERING AGAIN. WHY DO YOU KEEP DOING THIS PLEX.

My apologies to Namtab and Droyer for this longass post. I will try to make the subsequent liveposts shorter. Or just not do liveposts and sum up my feelings in a single post-live-post. Heh. Post-live-post. Post-live-post-live-post-live-post-live-post.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

when i saw the OP i just thought "staples=vampire fangs, got it". was pleased they went a more literal way with it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

I think that might be zep, but I can't see him writing anything that long.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

even without the korea references the bizarre swearing makes it easy to identify a zep post

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

dude knows who the best girl is at least

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Davincie posted:

even without the korea references the bizarre swearing makes it easy to identify a zep post

Don't forget this!!!

HE STRUCTURES HIS POSTS LIKE THIS SOMETIMES!!!!!!

also i hope you'e all enjoying bakemonogatari, the good anime. the first episode is really cool and is what hooked me on the show

Mentat Radnor
Apr 24, 2008

~Water flowers every day~

I enjoyed reading the thoughts of that Zesty Enigmatic Person In Asia.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

May Senjougahara never suffer again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esselfortium
Jul 19, 2006

Cumulonimbus Antagonistic Posting
It's been lots of fun reading all the first-timers' reactions in here. The first couple of episodes of Bakemonogatari absolutely did my head in when I first saw them, and it's great to see other people experiencing it too!

• Locked thread