Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr. Owl
Jan 24, 2008
Watching the whatcha packin' for Betty really made me love her... I'm just not happy with the way that worked out in the elimination. Also Naysha was going to do Nina Flowers for snatch game, no idea how that would have worked out, while Laila's Madonna runway would have been "Like a Virgin" Madonna, which I think was a great choice and I'm flabbergasted we got 4 kimonos. I kinda expected Derrick to do Madonna from the infamous 2003 VMAs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bina
Dec 28, 2011

Love Deluxe
Ah, so Diana Vreeland was basically what inspired The Devil Wears Prada. Robbie did not convey that at all. :sigh:

Bob nailed it. Now she has plenty of purses to walk into the room first with. I liked her padding. :allears:

Naomi needs to stop relying on those pins. We got it, you want to work for Victoria's Secret. That New York was TERRIBLE.

I was a bit torn on Thorgy. I think picking Micheal was real safe. The runway looked good, but I like Kim Chi's better. I need to see a winner!

Kim Chi's snatch game was terrible for me. Should have done Pearl. Runway was the best Kimono imo.

Derrick was okay as Britney. Super safe choice, but could have gone really out there. Runway was a mess, that Kimono sucked.
It would have looked better in the most tackiest dress challenge.

Chi Chi did a :mediocre: version of Kitt. I want to see Cat Woman, or at least a personality like Yzma. Super Halloween costume for that Madonna.
The headpiece was borderline Ornacia.

What. The. gently caress. Acid Betty's face looked like a White Lady washed version of Darkness from Legend. That chin! AHHH
I didn't get any Nancy in there, and I used to watch that every break period for 9 months at an old job of mine. The Madonna look was cool but didn't bring the sexy coolness that the judges were looking for.

Snatch Game doesn't suck, you gotta bring your A-Game.

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

Never thought I'd say "Season 7 did it better" but here we are

・Boring Snatch game contestants
・Bob trying WAY too hard. Both his characters were funny but you can see the tryhard in him so much it kinda ruins it a bit
・Acid, a super strong contestant who had a bad week eliminated by the single most predictable queen of the season who had a diabolically lovely week. Did she tell a single joke in snatch?

rip

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Bob wasn't any better than 'good' at Snatch Game. A professional comedian should have been able to elevate themselves above those other failed characters. Maybe it was partly the fault of everyone else giving so little to work with. That was awful. I'm willing to spread blame onto the two "super" models who, in fairness to their profession, thought it was enough to just show up and sit there. There was zero energy in the room aside from Ru Paul trying to floor it.

Also, Robbie has been on this show for like 5 weeks too long.

This is Thorgy's season to lose. They even built in their own Trinity K Bonet-eque character arc of overcoming self doubt.

Congrats in advance Thorgy.

CHiRAL
Mar 29, 2010

Anus.
WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?! :rant:

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

CHiRAL posted:

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT?! :rant:

Via Reddit via T spilled at Thorgy's viewing party:

quote:

-Chanel and Gigi were being such models and their answers didn't make Rupaul happy. He eventually lost it and threw his mic and stormed off screaming at the team

quote:

When RuPaul threw his mic, he went backstage and started yelling at the other two head honcho/producer types, and said why aren't these bitches prepped, do I have to do everything, and the other folks were like, well, you're the one who invited them, and it was super uncomfortable as all the girls just listened to this happening backstage, and then Ru came back out all smiles like nothing had happened, and then they got some PAs to basically tell the models what to write.

So RuPaul's fault for casting celebrity offspring rather than people who he knew could be funny and liven up the show.

PostsYouCanDanceTo
Sep 23, 2005

shadow puppet of a posted:

Via Reddit via T spilled at Thorgy's viewing party:

So RuPaul's fault for casting celebrity offspring rather than people who he knew could be funny and liven up the show.
I want to read Willam's book SO BAD if it's more poo poo like this.

And just to add to that, this T came from a comment at the AV Club.

quote:

Thorgy does a weekly viewing party and said that she was going to change her runway outfit but the producers told her not to. Hella shady to make them come out one after the other though. Thorgy also says that Ru asked Robbie if she was doing Liza and stared a hole right through Robbie when she said no. That and they all had to do an intervention with Derrick to convince him that this was the right time to do Britney. Thorgy says they only showed 10% of how funny Derrick was.

Oh and regarding Bob's critique of showboating, Thorgy also said that Bob wouldn't shut up during Snatch Game and would even answer other people's questions.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

PostsYouCanDanceTo posted:

Thorgy says they only showed 10% of how funny Derrick was.

That really surprises me, because what they showed of Derrick really underwhelmed me. I never thought I'd say it, but Tatiana did it better all the way back in season 2. He didn't get the voice at all. Doing a shimmy every 30 seconds isn't enough. I guess that's the thing though. Derrick does Britney professionally, but I'm sure that involves just getting the look, and lip syncing to her every night. That isn't enough of an impression for snatch game.

And I was pretty surprised that Bob would even consider doing Carol Channing, given that Pandora killed it, again in season 2. Bob did well though, but he really didn't need to do it given that his Uzo was spot on.

Kim Chi doing Pearl would have been a disaster, given that Pearl wasn't really known for an over the top personality, which is what you need to have a really successful go at Snatch Game. His Kimmy Jong Un was fine. An amusing concept that didn't really go anywhere.

Thorgy was just fine for me. I think by doing boy drag, he was hoping he'd be taking a risk like Kennedy doing Little Richard last season, but it didn't even hit me until halfway through that he was even doing boy drag. He was funny, but he needed to push it a little more.

And the rest, Robbie, Naomi, Acid Betty, ChiChi, probably some of the worst Snatch Game performances ever seen on the show.

This is the highlight of every season since 2. How are queens still coming unprepared. I just don't get it.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Nihonniboku posted:

That really surprises me, because what they showed of Derrick really underwhelmed me.

To be fair, a really small amount of funny times ten is still a really small amount. :v:

Yeah, that Snatch Game was shockingly disappointing. I was okay with Bob's showboating just because it was the only interesting thing that happened. Bob's clutch is the best recurring character and I hope he got to take it home.

I love Thorgy and her MJ was fine visually, but I don't like them doing men on Snatch Game just on principle. I wasn't too thrilled with Kim Chi's choice for the same reason even though she was technically supposed to be the secret twin sister (which was dumb). I noticed this was the second time Ru's had a "I'm going to get so many god drat emails" reaction to something Kim did, which is kind of funny but also seems kind of weirdly bitter.

Betty! How do you gently caress up Nancy Grace? Carson did a better Nancy Grace in five seconds. I am shocked, I am appalled, and I am concerned for the children of this country. That said, I hate that she was sent home and especially against Naomi, whose Snatch Game entry I don't even remember.

I didn't know ChiChi's character and didn't get why she was also a cat. Her breast placement is getting increasingly suspicious.

I think I said last week that I didn't want anyone to go home, but I lied. Derrick and Robbie can go home any time. In my defense, though, I had forgotten they existed.

Man, I was excited for this episode. :sigh:

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The thing that is starting to bother me about Thorgy is that she KNOWS how talented and successful she is, but when someone compliments her on something, she gets this really (to me) fake look of surprise and almost childlike embarrassment, like she doesn't know how to take a compliment at this stage of her career/life. I GET living in your own head and not thinking you're good at something when you clearly are, but this seems a little disingenuous to me. But I could be wrong. There's also a group of people in this world who identify as being "Egomaniacs with inferiority complexes" and it wouldn't surprise me if she was one of us.

I had a problem with Acid Betty's makeup last night both in the Snatch game and on the runway. This was the first time she wasn't doing "A Look" and to my untrained eye (who has never applied makeup), it looked terrible. It looked like the beginning of Trixie's application but then she stopped 30 seconds into it. Which was funny to me based on her previous comments.

Bob's Crazy Eyes was spot on and I don't care what any of you say :colbert:

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

endolithic posted:

I was okay with Bob's showboating just because it was the only interesting thing that happened.
This. Bob was trying to breathe life into the corpse that was everyone else's performance. (Well, okay, Thorgy was good but clichéd, and Kimchi and Chi Chi made me laugh a couple times but weren't up to Snatch Game par.) I do think he goes a bit too far in that direction sometimes--he can come off as desperately attention-seeking--but honestly it's hard to blame him here.

Also agreeing that Naomi is not gonna last much longer. Betty at least did some creative costuming and makeup, and I'm rather tired of Naomi's schtick. Stripper moves ain't gonna save her next time, though I do think she did a better lip sync for that song.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

AHAHAHA Bob's the only one in the room other than RuPaul that knows who Charro is and is so delighted about it.

seizure later
Apr 18, 2007
Naomi should have gone home. I dunno how they sat there and saw the same look 5 weeks in a row and a complete lack of personality and saved her over Betty. I guess the point of Derrick snapping at Bob was to put another villain in place? Not that he'll probably last much longer either.

Nemo
Feb 24, 2001

Uh! Double up Uh! Uh!
The only reason Derrick wasn't in the bottom two for the last few weeks is because Ru wanted her to make it to Snatch Game to do Britney, and now that wad is blown.

It was cute that she tried to come for Bob at the start of the episode.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I'm just upset that we won't get the chance now for a Bianca surprise appearance to put Betty in her place for her "Even Bianca doesn't come after me" remark.

Not Today Satan
Apr 18, 2007

Nemo posted:

It was cute that she tried to come for Bob at the start of the episode.

Yeah, that took me by surprise. I still haven't seen this week's Untucked episode but I'm curious if that was just a one-off or if it's going to be a reoccurring thing with Derrick now.

Ru seemed really upset all of a sudden even before they started lipsynching, did anyone else notice that and wonder what that was about?

This week's judges were really boring.

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
I'm shocked at how dull that was, given the talent on the show.

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.
Those madonna runway looks pretty much suspended their gay cards.

4 motherfucking kimonos?

Nobby
Sep 10, 2006

Everyone cries when they're stabbed. There's no shame in that.

Bina posted:

Ah, so Diana Vreeland was basically what inspired The Devil Wears Prada. Robbie did not convey that at all. :sigh:

Ahem. The "gently caress art, give me money" cheap knock-off who stole a bunch of Diana Vreeland's legacy inspired The Devil Wears Prada.

Oh, Robbie, why didn't you just do Liza?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Nobby posted:

Oh, Robbie, why didn't you just do Liza?
He's trash as an actor anyway. It wouldn't have mattered. Either Seattle has low standards for what it means to be a 'trained actor' or Robbie has gone through life unaware that 20 consecutive years of getting non speaking roles in community theater productions means your training didn't take.

Mouse Dresser
Sep 4, 2002

This isn't Middle Earth, Quentin. There aren't enough noble quests to go around.

shadow puppet of a posted:

He's trash as an actor anyway. It wouldn't have mattered. Either Seattle has low standards for what it means to be a 'trained actor' or Robbie has gone through life unaware that 20 consecutive years of getting non speaking roles in community theater productions means your training didn't take.

Or he's a song and dance musical theater actor, where just having a man on stage to dance is enough to keep casting him.

Maybe he's better with a script....? And rehearsals....?

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Millie posted:

4 motherfucking kimonos?
Robbie is alleged to have said that Chi Chi brought a kimono as well but made a hasty outfit instead.

Bob said on twitter that two of the eliminated queens had brought kimonos as well.

Pan Dulce
Jan 4, 2011

Beautiful cinnamon roll too good for this world, too pure

drat. The episode I look forward to the most and everything is so flat and lifeless.

I was hoping for a REALLY BAD but good impression of Kim Jung Il from Kim Chi, a la Margaret Cho, but that was a lot of nothing. Thorgy also was borrowing off of other comedians doing Michael Jackson, so it's no big whoop.

Chi Chi wasn't TOO bad. I kinda laughed at Eartha Kitt, but the last parts were cringe-worthy; I wish she had the money to have gone full Catwoman and just ham up the cat parts.

Diana Vreeland was such a missed opportunity, I don't give a rat's rear end if your throat was sore, you make that work. She should have done Liza.

Naomi Smalls was SO terrible. She had New York. She's done Flavor of Love, I Love New York, and now Big Brother and is just CRAZY as gently caress. It's easy to just do everything New York does and make it bitchy and funny. Hell, she could have done the flat chested look, then come out with a breast plate up to her neck and that would've been funny. Hell, she could have done the actual Naomi Campbell and thrown phones and shade at Tyra and done better.

I hated Acid Betty's Nancy Grace. As opposed to not being funny, she sucked the funny out of the room every time she spoke, which I find unforgivable. Not to mention she looked awful too. The lip-sync was also :mediocre:. The makeup for the Madonna look was hideous, even if it was a creative concept. Everything combined, I still would've sent her home instead of Naomi.

This was the biggest crock of poo poo ever.

Pan Dulce fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 5, 2016

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
This snatch game was awful. I look forward to it every season, and the girls know that's what's going to happen. They all know it's coming. You are not going to make The Colour Purple funny, Naomi Smalls. No girl. Kim Chi did something unexpected, and actually made it funny. It wasn't huge and over the top, but I got a chuckle.

The guest stars were hella bland. The Michael Jackson was funny, but wasn't impressive enough to be memorable. It was well executed though.

And then the night of 1000 kimonos. Ugh.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Haven't watched this episode yet but good lord every story that comes out about production of Drag Race makes it sound like an absolute shitshow.

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

Why is there no mini-challenge any more?

DominoDancing
Apr 26, 2008

Each morning after Sunblest
Feel the benefit
Mental arithmetic
The last time a Snatch Game episode had a mini-challenge was in season 5, so that's not a new development. I think it's simply a question of using the available running time for the best. Next episode will have the reading mini-challenge, so everything will be back to normal then.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Yeah they usually don't do a mini challenge on Snatch Game. Goddamn that Snatch Game was bad. Bob was great, Thorgy was fine, Derrick was fine, Chi Chi was passable, everything else was pretty bad. I liked Robbie's runway a lot but Bob's was my favorite and at least it wasn't another loving kimono. Chi Chi put her outfit together in less than 6 hours, if her conversation with Kim Chi on Untucked is to be believed.

Lip sync was boring. Naomi needs to go the gently caress home, she's just boring and her runway is the same thing every week. I think Naomi or Robbie will go next, then the other, then Derrick.

e: there were so many rumors about Betty, being sent home for being a douche or refusing to LSFYL etc. and it turns out it was just a run of the mill lip sync. what a letdown

Kim Chi and Chi Chi talking about being hungry and foods they want to eat etc. on Untucked was charming as hell

The Berzerker fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx
I never thought I'd say this, but I wish Acid Betty had stayed.

She was slowly de-bitch-ifying and becoming almost likable.

And, let's face it, she's got amazing skills, but had one bad week. Naomi is the same goddamn look over and over and over. She's like Groundhog's Day with no loving jokes. It's a good body, but it's literally all she has.

Betty should have gotten a second chance after a stumble. Naomi hasn't even stood the gently caress up yet.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
Ugh, I have to say, Snatch Game is the one challenge that I both dread and get really excited for. When a character doesn't hit, it's so hard to watch.

I don't know the person Naomi was doing, but I do know she wasn't fun to watch, at all. Betty's Nancy Grace was horrible, it's pretty bad when a judge can go ahead and do a better imitation of the person you were trying to portray. Nancy Grace on Snatch Game had a lot of potential to be funny, but...eh... (That reminds me, I think Ann Coulter could be HILARIOUS on a Snatch Game).

I do wish Betty had stayed at least one more week. I was really warming up to her and I want to see more of what she can do...but oh well, that's Drag Race.

I liked Bob's characters. I think she could have stuck as Udo the whole way through and still won, but her Carol Channing was fun and silly. WRT to her showboating/talking over people, I get the feeling that Bob gets REALLY into what she's doing and builds up a lot of momentum within herself and can't really put the breaks on....leading to her answering other people's questions/being obnoxious.

I wish Thorgy and Derrick had gotten more screen time. By all accounts, Derrick was great as Britney, but nothing they showed really stuck out to me. Thorgy's Michael look was great, but again, didn't see too much of the acting. So, whatever.

Chi Chi and Kim were definitely just...safe. I really expected Chi Chi to bomb after the workroom conversation she had with Ru, but I thought her Eartha was goofy and fun and pretty appropriate for Snatch, but not a really stand out performance. Same for Kim.

That runway tho....I was really relieved when Betty came out, I was worried for a minute that EVERYONE would be wearing a loving kimono. How can you see three other girls putting on the same thing and not try and whip up something else!? Also, why is Madonna-kimono the one look everyone went for? I was hoping someone would do her Vogue at the MTV Awards look, but that probably isn't as practical as a kimono.

In Untucked, Robbie did point out to Naomi that she's been wearing the same look way too often. Hopefully that lights some kind of fire under Naomi, otherwise she's going to be gone in the next episode or two.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
That was one dire Snatch Game, holy crap. Had no idea who either of the guests were and they brought absolute nothing to the show. Ru has nobody to blame but herself for that one.

Bob's "showboating" is perhaps the most bizarre critique to date. That means to suggest that there is anything resembling subtlety on Drag Race. There were times when it seemed like he was stepping on toes in the Snatch Game, but my god, it needed all the help it could get. Thorgy's MJ was okay, but she did the hands-over-the-mouth-giggle thing so many times that it was Groundhog Day. And speaking of, how many times is Naomi going to get away with those lazy bikini runway looks? Her looks are as basic as basic gets and she's still around (and only just this episode been called out on it). It's baffling. And her Tiffany "New York" Pollard...:gonk: You couldn't have hosed that up any harder - nothing was right. Not a single part of it.

I was really warming up to Betty and it's a real shame she left before Derrick and Naomi. I know Ru has the final say in everything, but between last season and some of the things going on this season, I'm thinking she's starting to slip.

Ghostpilot fucked around with this message at 08:07 on Apr 6, 2016

Midnight Sun
Jun 25, 2007

DominoDancing posted:

The last time a Snatch Game episode had a mini-challenge was in season 5, so that's not a new development. I think it's simply a question of using the available running time for the best. Next episode will have the reading mini-challenge, so everything will be back to normal then.

Yeah, but there were no mini-challenge last week either.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it

Magikarpal Tunnel posted:

Also, why is Madonna-kimono the one look everyone went for? I was hoping someone would do her Vogue at the MTV Awards look, but that probably isn't as practical as a kimono.

That was my question, too. Unless you're born in 1987, how is Kimono Madonna the iconic Madonna you think of? My mind would have immediately gone to Express Yourself Madonna or Blond Ambition Madonna or even black leather & chiffon Madonna. I didn't see a single goddamn drawn-on mole that entire runway.

Maybe I'm just old.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I hope that was the worst episode we'll see this season. Everything's been great so far, but I guess you can't win em all.

Nthing the sentiment over the elimination. When was the last time that this far into a season, two queens who have never lip synced were up? And that the wrong person went home?

At least Robbie had a cute runway. But girl needs to keep her lips sealed when she feels like making excuses.

Quinctia
Jul 17, 2006

Disasterrific.
I would've done something ala Desperately Seeking Susan, Material Girl, or the look from the Frozen music video, just because I would think those were fun. I'm in my early 30s and Ray of Light came out when I was in my early teens and most of the singles were ridiculously overplayed on VH1 back then. If you were born in the 80s at all, you might have been more exposed to that than other videos...unless you had a crippling addiction to Pop Up Video like I did. I think my favorite Madonna video is still Like a Prayer.

But, since this drat runway made me go watch the Nothing Really Matters music video for the first time in almost 20 years, I now have some strong opinions:
- I had forgotten what a visually striking video that was. And there are two interesting kimono looks in the video. I always liked that track, so I could see where more than one queen could have gotten inspired by it.
- However, the looks I half-heartedly liked (Thorgy's and Kim Chi's) now completely disappoint me.
- Why were none of those kimono looks properly monochromatic? There was an all black one with some wacky vinyl sleeves, and the all red one was paired with red boots.
- No one came close to the makeup, either. The black kimono look had a red stripe across the eyes, and the red look incorporated red brows. Drag those looks up to 11 or something, but they looked minimalistic compared to Madonna. And that's just lame.
- I guess I can begrudgingly give top kimono toots to Thorgy for doing some of the video movement on the runway. But UGH.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
I wish someone had done Evita/Take a Bow Madonna.

Just watched Untucked, and it makes the elimination even sadder. :(

Betty's reaction to Naomi never hearing the song before was hilar, though.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Betty will hopefully be back after the Robbie-Naomi double elim next week.

And for the record, the Madonna look that represented the greatest lost opportunity to walk down a runway was the Madonma-rimming-a-guy-in-a-jockstap look from within the pages of her coffee table book "Sex" .

resting mitch face
Apr 9, 2005

5) I hear you.

Hermetic posted:

I never thought I'd say this, but I wish Acid Betty had stayed.
Now I feel lovely for following those ep. 5 rumors about Betty :emo: I wasn't disappointed that it didn't happen; I was rather relieved because I think Betty is one of the more innovative queens to be on RPDR and I love a solid bitch. I had to watch the whole thing again and I'm sorry but I really don't understand why Naomi wasn't eliminated. More and more I think that Ru has a thing for leggy young models and her "I don't give a gently caress!" comment before making a decision makes me wonder if the producers were pulling for Betty to stay.

I haven't even watched untucked yet :( Goddamnit Betty. You are royalty.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Naomi needs to get gone, there's absolutely nothing interesting about her. Yes she turned it out during the lip sync but there's just nothing until then. Her performances are always flat and her looks are one note as hell. Bring back Acid Betty. :saddowns:

And yeah that episode was ratchet as all hell. Snatch Game was loving terrible and most of the looks were an absolute nightmare. Yeah Kim Chi looked like Kim Jong Un but he didn't do anything except pull that one face. And what the gently caress was good about Thorgy's Michael Jackson? It was creepy and the voice was completely off. Ugh drat why.

Also Bob was hotter in that outfit than Madonna. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

Yodzilla posted:

And what the gently caress was good about Thorgy's Michael Jackson? It was creepy

• Locked thread