Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Was up until 2am playing Hyper Light Drifter. I know not everyone has been in love with it but it's pretty much the perfect game for me right now. Fun and challenging combat, tons of secrets, great art. It's good stuff, the zelda comparisons are pretty apt. It's like zelda if every enemy were capable of killing you at any moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Mistle posted:

Entirely possible for BB to hit PC, but I'd expect another year or so, once the PS4k starts tapering significantly in sales.

Anything's possible but that's incredibly unlikely. It's still a selling point for the PS4 and even with the bone now down in the dumps, there's still no reason for Sony to port it. Hell, with MS accidentally taking a poop on PC gaming with UWP, Sony has all the more reason to rally more around their own platform unless there's a huge market shift.

There's also the consideration that it might be a very costly port and they aren't certain the sales are worth it.

PantsBandit posted:

It's like zelda if every enemy were capable of killing you at any moment.

This sounds really appealing.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vOysuMAJaD8

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'll never understand why that guy goes for the SS vibe with his thumbnails.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Only a week until game of the year 2016 releases

Ratchet & Clank

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Only a week until game of the year 2016 releases

Ratchet & Clank

drat I need to get a PS4

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

It's going to be the best two and a half hours you'll ever spend.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Ratchet & Clank, Bloodbourne, Persona 5... what else is good on PS4?

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

Lurdiak posted:

I'll never understand why that guy goes for the SS vibe with his thumbnails.

Yeah it's extremely gross. "I am the video game nazi man. That's my gimmick."

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
What's so special about the new Ratchet and Clank game? I was a fan of the first few on the PS2, and I played one on the PS3 but got stuck in some space pirate ship yard. I haven't seen any trailers or gameplay footage of it on the one gaming website I check (Kotaku, great shame I bring upon my family). Is it a reboot or something?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It's a remake of the first game only there's a film too or something idk

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

LawfulWaffle posted:

What's so special about the new Ratchet and Clank game? I was a fan of the first few on the PS2, and I played one on the PS3 but got stuck in some space pirate ship yard. I haven't seen any trailers or gameplay footage of it on the one gaming website I check (Kotaku, great shame I bring upon my family). Is it a reboot or something?
It's a tie-in to the movie, which is a mashup of the first game's plot with some other stuff.

Also the one you played on PS3 was Tools of Destruction, which is just okay, but you missed its sequel, Crack in Time, which is amazing.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
Cool, thanks for the info. I'll see if I can find a cheap copy of Crack in Time at Gamestop or something.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

codenameFANGIO posted:

Yeah it's extremely gross. "I am the video game nazi man. That's my gimmick."

He's this super smug dude and somebody called him a nazi once and just decided to make that his theme.

He also makes plenty of masturbation jokes.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Golden Goat posted:

Ratchet & Clank, Bloodbourne, Persona 5... what else is good on PS4?

Tearaway Unfolded is very good.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
Ace Attorney Investigations report: Kay Faraday is a fantastic sidekick. I'm also loving all the Dick Gumshoe the game is throwing my way, especially because I hear he never makes an appearance in Dual Destinies? hosed up if true.

This game is great and totally worth tracking down a DS cart for.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

corn in the bible posted:

yeah. stats go up when you do sidequests or turn in board requests. but your power is also based on how good your equipped abilities are, and those drop from enemies. you also get new EP abilities and garbs each time you return to the ark!

The game seemed to suggest I can return to the ark whenever but I don't see an option. There's a 3 EP teleport move but 3 EP is an awful high price.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

I wish someone would make a side-scrolling beat'em up that carried on the spirit of the Capcom Dungeons and Dragons games. Oh wait, Dragon's Crown.

I wish someone would make another Dragon's Crown.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The game seemed to suggest I can return to the ark whenever but I don't see an option. There's a 3 EP teleport move but 3 EP is an awful high price.

You only return to the ark when a day ends. And yeah, early on EP is very limited, but as you progress you'll get more EP -- plus you can fight stronger monsters and thus get your EP back again. Anything you fight in a chaos area will give you, at minimum, 1 EP.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
How anal should I be about this time limit? Is it a hard game over if/when times runs out or will I be doing multiple loops?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

LawfulWaffle posted:

I wish someone would make a side-scrolling beat'em up that carried on the spirit of the Capcom Dungeons and Dragons games. Oh wait, Dragon's Crown.

Not exactly the same thing but the remake of Odin's Sphere is out in a couple of months.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

8-Bit Scholar posted:

How anal should I be about this time limit? Is it a hard game over if/when times runs out or will I be doing multiple loops?

If you do run out of time it loops around into new game plus. Resets all the quests, but you keep your stats and equipment and stuff.

You wouldn't unlock hard mode or crafting, though, because you have to beat the game for that.

e: It's perfectly possible to finish the game without looping, though. You don't need to reset.

corn in the bible fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Apr 5, 2016

Ahundredbux
Oct 25, 2007

The right to bear arms
i need a good management or something sim for retards like myself, is cities skylines still devoid of any real challenge after the first like 30 minutes?

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

bloodychill posted:

This sounds really appealing.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but it actually is really cool. People have been comparing HLD to Dark Souls, which is a dumb and misleading comparison overall, but it does have that in common. Specifically, the game is really not that difficult and there's plenty of health pickups scattered around the world. Outside of bosses it's pretty rare that I'll actually die. But the enemies still have teeth and will punish you for being careless.

Zelda is a super cool series but part of me always wonders what the point is of getting all these heart containers when there is hardly a single enemy in the game that's actually threatening.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

LawfulWaffle posted:

Dungeon and Fighter.

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

PantsBandit posted:

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not but it actually is really cool. People have been comparing HLD to Dark Souls, which is a dumb and misleading comparison overall, but it does have that in common. Specifically, the game is really not that difficult and there's plenty of health pickups scattered around the world. Outside of bosses it's pretty rare that I'll actually die. But the enemies still have teeth and will punish you for being careless.

Zelda is a super cool series but part of me always wonders what the point is of getting all these heart containers when there is hardly a single enemy in the game that's actually threatening.

Gotta have something to collect for %100 completion.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

PantsBandit posted:

Wasn't being sarcastic, it really does sound fun, if a bit hard. I really like the aesthetic too.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I watched the Mass Effect 1 game movie with all the cutscenes.

Is it just me or is the end battle, the one where the Alliance ships are trying to take out Sovereign the Reaper, is Saren basically a horcrux? Because once you (Shepherd) kill Saren, Sovereign's shields come down and it's immediately destroyed.

That's very silly.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Jay Rust posted:

I think people like the Rapier you can buy from the blacksmith in Majula. If you're playing Scholar of the First Sin, you can get it enchanted real soon after beating the Pursuer.

I just tried the rapier, and wow did it get good between games. Not crazy about the R2 parry, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I beat every boss in DS2 two handing the rapier

cram me sideways
Apr 26, 2015

Josh Lyman posted:

That's very silly.

Congratulations, you have summed up the entire series.

Hey, everyone remember when every delicate nerdflower on the planet cried about how Mass Effect's 3 ending was sad, and it made them sad, and they got so sad about it that Bioware went back and loving rewrote the ending so nerds would stop being suicidal over it.

Something tells me there's a lot of crossover between those fuckups and the guys who got suicidal over Avatar NOT BEING REAL.

cram me sideways fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Apr 5, 2016

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

cram me sideways posted:

Congratulations, you have summed up the entire series.

Hey, everyone remember when every delicate nerdflower on the planet cried about how Mass Effect's 3 ending was sad, and it made them sad, and they got so sad about it that Bioware went back and loving rewrote the ending so nerds would stop being suicidal over it.

Something tells me there's a lot of crossover between those fuckups and the guys who got suicidal over Avatar NOT BEING REAL.

I don't think they disliked it because it was sad but rather because it was abrupt and stupid

PICK THE COLORED BUTTON AND GET THAT COLOR ENDING, SHEPARD

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

cram me sideways posted:

I don't believe this actually happened in the way you described.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

corn in the bible posted:

I don't think they disliked it because it was sad but rather because it was abrupt and stupid

PICK THE COLORED BUTTON AND GET THAT COLOR ENDING, SHEPARD

I was gonna say.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Also some bits made no sense and the only thing the rewriting did was to have them make slightly more sense. And adding an amusingly mean-spirited 'gently caress the universe if you don't like our choices' ending.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I really liked mass effect 3, I just kinda ignored the ending and did citadel instead

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
cram me sideways doing their best to fill in the shitposting gap left by taints and stux but not nearly as funny.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Josh Lyman posted:

I watched the Mass Effect 1 game movie with all the cutscenes.

Is it just me or is the end battle, the one where the Alliance ships are trying to take out Sovereign the Reaper, is Saren basically a horcrux? Because once you (Shepherd) kill Saren, Sovereign's shields come down and it's immediately destroyed.

That's very silly.

They had to find a way to have you be directly responsible for the victory without actually having any sort of ship combat gameplay.

In retrospect it's pretty crazy how well the ME series managed to make a space adventure where you never actually fly a spaceship. Kind of like how the first Bioshock takes place entire underwater but has no swimming segments.

Ostentatious
Sep 29, 2010

bioshock 2: misunderstood game that's better than infinite or just straight up bad game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Utnayan
Sep 26, 2002
PROUD MEMBER OF THE RAPIST DEFENSE BRIGADE! DO NOT BE MEAN TO RAPISTS, OR I WILL VOTE FOR THEM WITH EVER INCREASING VIGOR!

Ostentatious posted:

bioshock 2: misunderstood game that's better than infinite or just straight up bad game?

Bad game. 1, Infinite, skip 2.

• Locked thread