Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Scorch cards can mess yourself up if you aren't careful. That's why I favor the unit card that only scorches the opponents melee line

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shannow
Aug 30, 2003

Frumious Bandersnatch

WrightOfWay posted:

The Scoia'tel and Monster decks don't have any spies so they can't really compete. Personally I think Northern Realms is stronger because it has much better Bond cards so even if Nilfgaard has slightly better ways to gain card advantage, Northern Realms can do a lot more with theirs and still has pretty good card draw (3 spies and a medic versus Nilfgaard's 3 spies and 3 medics.)

Scoia'tel has a helluva lotta medics, which can be hilariously chained together.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I think you can use the Ancient Elf with Monster or Scoiatel as well, and I suppose you could try to use decoys to pick up enemies' spies. But yeah my monster deck just isn't built out enough to even use yet.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

I keep getting the itch to play this again. But I don't know if I can just start where my save left off. So it might mean restarting. But that means another like 40 hours to get back to the same point. Well, probably more like 20, but still.

I don't know what to do oh God.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Have any of the recent patches tweaked the expansion to make some of the bosses easier? I got stuck on the caretaker and just gave up because I kept losing. Which is really frustrating since I found the storyline fascinating.

And this is on the easiest mode. (Yes I suck at combat).

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

theblackw0lf posted:

Have any of the recent patches tweaked the expansion to make some of the bosses easier? I got stuck on the caretaker and just gave up because I kept losing. Which is really frustrating since I found the storyline fascinating.

What level are you, and how good is your gear? I found that once I crafted myself a set of witcher gear, the difficulty pretty much evaporated and I actually had to turn it up. It makes a big difference, if you haven't tried it already.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
From reading the way that some of you were searching for superior oils, is it weird that I'm well into DLC quests yet am still to find some of the basic oils? I never found the beast oil for example. I played a good amount of the side quests and found lots of POIs.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Rather Dashing posted:

From reading the way that some of you were searching for superior oils, is it weird that I'm well into DLC quests yet am still to find some of the basic oils? I never found the beast oil for example. I played a good amount of the side quests and found lots of POIs.

Not that weird. My big issue with the game is that as a completionist, it's frustrating to be missing one or two random oils in the chain. It wasn't until my latest playthrough that I even believed that the Killer Whale potion existed.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Crappy Jack posted:

Not that weird. My big issue with the game is that as a completionist, it's frustrating to be missing one or two random oils in the chain. It wasn't until my latest playthrough that I even believed that the Killer Whale potion existed.

I have that recipe but what is pissing me off about it right now is I can't find the damned buck wheat or whatever that you need to craft it, and I've tried several different alchemist shops and they haven't had it either.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Ginette Reno posted:

I have that recipe but what is pissing me off about it right now is I can't find the damned buck wheat or whatever that you need to craft it, and I've tried several different alchemist shops and they haven't had it either.
I think buckwheat is an underwater plant, check in the rivers.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Ginette Reno posted:

Buckthorn grows underwater. You can find it in pretty much every body of water bigger than a pond.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Megazver posted:

After I've been to every alchemy vendor in the world and was still missing formulas and a few components, I just consoled up for the rest. I recommend you do the same.

Yeah same here. Once I'd done all POIs apart from the Skellige sea treasures I just decided gently caress it and added the last few in.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I'm so glad I turned all POIs off before even playing the game. Sounds like they turn pretty fun natural exploration into an awful Ubisoft slog from marker to marker...

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite
Going after POIs in Velen, Novigrad and White Orchard is fine since you often stumble upon side quests you wouldn't have otherwise.

Sunken treasures in Skellige? gently caress. Those.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

Strategic Tea posted:

I'm so glad I turned all POIs off before even playing the game. Sounds like they turn pretty fun natural exploration into an awful Ubisoft slog from marker to marker...

the only part this is true for is the ocean ones in skellige, otherwise you only missed out on stuff.

Konsek
Sep 4, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Strategic Tea posted:

Not really. When I'm out and about, or on my way to a quest, I'd take scenic routes to visit some POIs along the way. Then I might stumble upon something else, or get involved in a different quest. 2 hours later I forgot what my original intention was.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Missed stuff is just fodder for the inevitable thousand playthroughs I'll do in the future though! :getin:

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arcsquad12 posted:

Scorch cards can mess yourself up if you aren't careful. That's why I favor the unit card that only scorches the opponents melee line

Always play like your enemy has a scorch or two ready to go. It's for this reason I prefer using hero cards to draw out a scorch early. The computer will realize it's behind and try to scorch your 5 strength guy as you have 10 hero cards laughing at him.

You need strength in other normal cards (spy cards own) but hero cards are a great insurance policy against the CPU deciding it gets 3 scorches.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Franz von Dada posted:

Sunken treasures in Skellige? gently caress. Those.

:smug: I did em, took like one evening. Just throw a movie on your laptop/ipad and just pick em up.

It's like picking up the hidden packages in GTA or the riddler trophies in Batman. It's dumb, there's no reward, but can be done in one night when you know where they are.

The best part about the sunken treasures though is that you don't have to worry about being overburdened because it doesn't affect you getting in and out of a boat and swimming. I was literally thousands in weight at the end and there is a fast travel right near a port for you to fast travel to whereever and sell all your poo poo.

Crappy Jack posted:

My game definitely glitched out and I will be forever without two superior oils. I can say, with certainty, that the game does NOT give you everything no matter how many chests you open.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

WrightOfWay posted:

The Scoia'tel and Monster decks don't have any spies so they can't really compete. Personally I think Northern Realms is stronger because it has much better Bond cards so even if Nilfgaard has slightly better ways to gain card advantage, Northern Realms can do a lot more with theirs and still has pretty good card draw (3 spies and a medic versus Nilfgaard's 3 spies and 3 medics.)

It's kinda strange that neither have spies. Especially the monster deck, what with some monsters being shapeshifters or being really good at hiding.

I'm just bummed because those cards look the coolest :(

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

JetsGuy posted:

Always play like your enemy has a scorch or two ready to go. It's for this reason I prefer using hero cards to draw out a scorch early. The computer will realize it's behind and try to scorch your 5 strength guy as you have 10 hero cards laughing at him.

You need strength in other normal cards (spy cards own) but hero cards are a great insurance policy against the CPU deciding it gets 3 scorches.

My strategy is built around the foltest siege master card. Dump my hero cards to mess up tell enemy and force him into playing his scorch cards. I like using blue stripes to trick them into burning a high value target. Then I have two onagers with tight bond, the medic and yennefer to draw up the blue stripes to pull another scorch. Once their scorch cards are gone I play the twin onagers and foltest's siege card. With the medic that's seventy four points in artillery alone.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
i think gwent owns

why is it named after part of wales though?

Darth Ronson
Jun 18, 2004

Say.. that's a nice
hat.
Enjoying this so far, but did I miss something or does the Precious Cargo give you no 'decline a reward' option? I know Witchers charge, but it felt weird not to have that option.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

ThomasPaine posted:

i think gwent owns

Agreed, I'd love a mobile version.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

theblackw0lf posted:

He is maybe the hardest boss in the game so, not that weird. It may help to watch some videos of the fight on youtube -- here's a vid from my favorite LP (just turn it off before the end of the fight to avoid spoilers), it starts at 18:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAnH0C-P8sA

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

God, I hate it when I inadvertently over level myself for most of my contracts and secondary missions, I get so caught up doing other stuff that I just forget about them.
Now I have too many that are about 10 levels below me or thereabouts. :qq:

Should I even bother with them at that point or save them for a new game?

I just got to the part of the story where you're tasked with recruiting help to defend Kaer Morhen from the Wild Hunt, hell, I don't even know how much more of the game I have to go with until I hit HoS content or what I'm meant to do with quests that I fall behind with.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Deakul posted:

God, I hate it when I inadvertently over level myself for most of my contracts and secondary missions, I get so caught up doing other stuff that I just forget about them.

I just got to the part of the story where you're tasked with recruiting help to defend Kaer Morhen from the Wild Hunt, hell, I don't even know how much more of the game I have to go with until I hit HoS content or what I'm meant to do with quests that I fall behind with.

You're almost always going to be overleveled for some of your quests. Just have a nice relaxing time doing the quests and slaughtering some noobs with ease for a while.

You're about halfway through the main quest, maybe about 60% depending on if you already did all the recruiting in act I.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer

Supreme Allah posted:

He is maybe the hardest boss in the game so, not that weird. It may help to watch some videos of the fight on youtube -- here's a vid from my favorite LP (just turn it off before the end of the fight to avoid spoilers), it starts at 18:20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oAnH0C-P8sA

I found the caretaker pretty simple on blood and bone with a signs build, and I'm not a gifted gamer. Just watch for his helpless states and burn all his summons with fire. My nemesis was Iris' last nightmare. I'm embarrassed to admit I dropped the difficulty there after too many fails on the fourth and fifth iterations. Nasty bastard.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

You're almost always going to be overleveled for some of your quests. Just have a nice relaxing time doing the quests and slaughtering some noobs with ease for a while.

You're about halfway through the main quest, maybe about 60% depending on if you already did all the recruiting in act I.

:vince:

I have a little over 100 hours put into the game so far and I'm only about half way?!
Mother of christ what a huge game.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Deakul posted:

:vince:

I have a little over 100 hours put into the game so far and I'm only about half way?!
Mother of christ what a huge game.
The main story speeds up like crazy after Kaer Mohren so its not as long as you might think.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Accordion Man posted:

The main story speeds up like crazy after Kaer Mohren so its not as long as you might think.

That being said there are multiple opportunities between these quests to get lost on witcher contracts.

Franz von Dada
Feb 10, 2014

A Boy and His Parasite

Accordion Man posted:

Did you do all side quests before that point? Because that would explain why it seems to speed up, since you're only focusing on the main quest, while before you were doing like billion different things at once.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Deakul posted:

Don't sweat about greyed out levels, your main source of xp is the main story and that will always outlevel you for the other content. Just do those side-quests for the stories. It's a shame they went with the idea of greying out though as it feels like you hosed something up as a player or that you shouldn't bother with the quest anymore and there's no reflection of that in actual gameplay.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
I quite like that some contracts/side quests become trivially easy because it reinforces the idea that you're a super badass monster hunter. It also makes the hard fights feel way more epic by contrast.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Go back and do grayed out missions. Rewards probably won't be much, but even random side quests and contracts have engaging stories. I almost missed out on Wild at Heart because it was grayed out but I decided to go back and do it on a whim.

That made me decide to never miss any quests.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

You're going to grey things out. There's way more potential experience available than you need and greying quests out is just the game's way of keeping you from ludicrously overlevelling yourself for the main story. Just do all the quests regardless - this is the kind of game where the material reward for doing them isn't the point.

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
The OP should really have a bolded first paragraph that reads 'Don't sweat, The Witcher is great not because of the loot or combat, or the huge game world. It's great because of the stories you find in the game, both large and small, and how you get to interact in it'

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

MikeC posted:

The OP should really have a bolded first paragraph that reads 'Don't sweat, The Witcher is great not because of the loot or combat, or the huge game world. It's great because of the stories you find in the game, both large and small, and how you get to interact in it'

You should write box blurbs pal

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Palpek posted:

Don't sweat about greyed out levels, your main source of xp is the main story and that will always outlevel you for the other content. Just do those side-quests for the stories. It's a shame they went with the idea of greying out though as it feels like you hosed something up as a player or that you shouldn't bother with the quest anymore and there's no reflection of that in actual gameplay.

Yeah, fair enough. I've realized that the little stories are still worth it.

I just still need to get the tangible rewards idea out of my head since the game's loot and reward system really does leave a lot to be desired, hope it gets a revamp or something if they do an Enhanced Edition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011
I definitely felt this way until around lvl 17 or so when it seemed like I always had a new Witcher set to upgrade. I still don't disagree because some swords are really cool looking and have some pretty good stats, and here and there I would take an armor or damage hit if it was rather negligible.

I think if anything, stats could use some more variety, at least for relic gear. And man, glyphs for armor don't seem really worth it to a non signs build, but it's not been too much of a problem.

At lvl 36 doing HoS and it's just nice not to be carving up everything in 3-5 seconds