Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
My problem with Gungeon is that it looks like a transparent Nuclear Kings knockoff. I know NK shouldn't have a monopoly on twin stick shooter roguelikes, but the art style is so similar it's all I can think of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

WickedHate posted:

My problem with Gungeon is that it looks like a transparent Nuclear Kings knockoff. I know NK shouldn't have a monopoly on twin stick shooter roguelikes, but the art style is so similar it's all I can think of.

I'm finding it closer to BoI than NK, to be honest. It's a really fun game and I prefer it to NK so far.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

What the gently caress is Nuclear Kings

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Pablo Gigante posted:

What the gently caress is Nuclear Kings
I'm assuming they're getting Nuclear Throne and Mercenary Kings muddled?

Hatman101
Sep 28, 2006
My Cubans!
Haha holy poo poo, I got so confused when somebody replied and called it NK.

Completely unrelated, Nuclear Throne is a cool game.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Random Hajile posted:

I'm assuming they're getting Nuclear Throne and Mercenary Kings muddled?

Nuclear Throne was called Wasteland Kings early on in the development, so I'd assume it comes from that.

http://www.vlambeer.com/2013/09/30/announcing-nuclear-throne-the-game-formerly-known-as-wasteland-kings/

iGestalt
Mar 4, 2013

Hatman101 posted:

Haha holy poo poo, I got so confused when somebody replied and called it NK.

I didn't even notice that. I saw NK, knew what they meant, then just.. blanked it when I replied.

Wow, I'm dumb.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hatman101 posted:

Agreed

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Veib posted:

Nuclear Throne was called Wasteland Kings early on in the development, so I'd assume it comes from that.

http://www.vlambeer.com/2013/09/30/announcing-nuclear-throne-the-game-formerly-known-as-wasteland-kings/

Uh, yeah, that.

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

I dunno, Nuclear Kings sounds like a pretty rad game

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

AbDomen posted:

Counter-opinion: it's a fun little choose-your-own-adventure game where the worldbuilding text *is* the game. Actually making it back to London in 80 Days is trivially easy, so if you don't enjoy reading about what your character does along the way, it's admittedly pretty boring. But it is pretty decently written and lets you get up to all sorts of antics in an alternate-history world. Sorry it wasn't what you expected, I guess?
You know what's a game with good writing, lots of worldbuilding and a steampunk-ish aesthetic? Sunless Sea. Guess what your character does in Sunless Sea? LOTS. The two really don't need to conflict.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
This Vive stream is great. I don't have a mountain of disposable cash to burn but if I did I'd definitely go with this over the Rift.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Xander77 posted:

It's a stat management game with a bunch of world-building text thrown in. I've made my way to India, and still haven't actually done poo poo. It's basically the exact opposite of Sorcery in terms of everything / anything that could conceivably make it fun.

Ah,sorry to hear that. I can get it refunded,if you want.

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

I'm too busy thinkin' about my baby. Oh I ain't got time for nothin' else.
Slime TrainerS
Nuclear Throne is 30fps. :colbert:

Gungeon is not. :yayclod: Is Gungeon looking like a good time so far?

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

Once a game in a genre is made, you can never make a similar title ever again. Them's the rules.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qM3VVJP_1U

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Xander77 posted:

You know what's a game with good writing, lots of worldbuilding and a steampunk-ish aesthetic? Sunless Sea. Guess what your character does in Sunless Sea? LOTS. The two really don't need to conflict.

This is a weird comparison, because Sunless Sea is an awful boring wasteland where you mostly just see water and get bored, while 80 days is a fun CYOA where you're constantly making choices.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

also, palpek, i hit one of the bosses and watched a vid of the pc version to compare. so i can say he was indeed redone in the ps3 version. instead of stein just standing on a platform and you shoot him, you run up, dodge some bullets, do a qte. area looked redesigned too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye-vltEd0pE

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Xander77 posted:

Sunless sea is a game that gates itself behind terrible trade mechanics. The only proper way to play that game is to cheat in infinite money and ignore all that poo poo while you read your lovecraft novel.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Infinity Gaia posted:

So I got that Until I Have You game out of general curiosity.

Ended up refunding it. It's... Well it feels like a platformer made by a company that previously only made an adventure game, to my knowledge. To call it rough would be an understatement. Controls feels simultaneously floaty and stiff, hit detection felt super wonky and all the stages I did (I managed to do the first I guess collection of them) felt like poo poo. The boss fight was crap too. Something about the cutscenes and the apartment make this feel like an adventure game engine, in which case someone should've told them that making a platformer in an adventure game engine is a horrible idea.

Primordia was great but this just plays baaaaad. They should've stuck to making adventure games. The worst part is it feels like it could be a decent cyberpunk story, from the little I learned of it in my two hours. Too bad it's locked behind rather crap gameplay.
That's a bummer to hear, but I guess I should have assumed that'd be the case. It's not exactly common for an adventure game centric developer to move on to well made platformer, especially if they remain just in the adventure game engine they're used to. I mean, aren't there a few easier engines out there to use for platformers?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
How much of a drag is collecting all the stars in Talos Principle? I'm getting near the end of the game and have picked up about half a dozen on the way.

SilverMike
Sep 17, 2007

TBD

Some of them are simply hidden behind annoyingly hard-to-find geometry instead of actual puzzles so I wouldn't blame anyone for getting a guide.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

PantsBandit posted:

This Vive stream is great. I don't have a mountain of disposable cash to burn but if I did I'd definitely go with this over the Rift.

Same here. It looks like a lot of fun moving around vs the Oculus' "your head is now the camera" offerings.

Shame all games still look like shovelware crap.

Audioshield looks cool.

Space Kablooey fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Apr 5, 2016

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

Nuclear Throne is 30fps. :colbert:

Gungeon is not. :yayclod: Is Gungeon looking like a good time so far?
I haven't grabbed it yet, but I watched someone stream it over the weekend and it looked fun as hell. It's like NT but as more of a room-based roguelike and a shitton more guns.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Doctor Spaceman posted:

How much of a drag is collecting all the stars in Talos Principle? I'm getting near the end of the game and have picked up about half a dozen on the way.

The regular puzzles are in clearly defined spaces; most of the stars are ill-defined "What am I supposed to do?" sorts of things that require you to break multiple puzzles simultaneously.

Follow a guide.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

HardDisk posted:

Same here. It looks like a lot of fun moving around vs the Oculus' "your head is now the camera" offerings.

Shame all games still look like shovelware crap.

Audioshield looks cool.

Uhhh, 2 and a half hours of wearing the VIVE seems to have messed his face / eyes up something fierce.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Xander77 posted:

It's also not fun to actually play at all, it's a boring boring grind with awful combat and gated progression like nothing else.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

the main thing my character in sunless sea did was cheat so i could have infinite resources and have fun for once

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS
Okay, I went ahead and beat the HunieCam Studio game 3 times. My review is here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jamfrost/recommended/426000

Overall, please save your money for something else. After the first hour or less the game feels empty. If I had to measure its depth using water, it would receive a "Somewhat Moist Soles."

Kragger99
Mar 21, 2004
Pillbug
Is it just me, or does the constant shaking of your hands (or their equivalent) in the VR games really annoying?
I know this is still kinda "new", but you'd think they could have programmed that better.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Kragger99 posted:

Is it just me, or does the constant shaking of your hands (or their equivalent) in the VR games really annoying?
I know this is still kinda "new", but you'd think they could have programmed that better.

Don't hands shakes on their own?

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Why am I reminded of that cover of Business Week with Anshe Chung's SL avatar on?

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Does anyone know what this game is? Looks nice and creepy.

http://i.imgur.com/Oc64ceO.gifv

Jamfrost
Jul 20, 2013

Slime TrainerS

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Does anyone know what this game is? Looks nice and creepy.

http://i.imgur.com/Oc64ceO.gifv

We Happy Few.
http://store.steampowered.com/app/320240/

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Don't get your hopes up too much, its a rogue-like.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I wonder how long until someone makes a filter for Steam to get rid of VR only games?

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Jamfrost posted:

Okay, I went ahead and beat the HunieCam Studio game 3 times. My review is here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Jamfrost/recommended/426000

Overall, please save your money for something else. After the first hour or less the game feels empty. If I had to measure its depth using water, it would receive a "Somewhat Moist Soles."

I played HunieCam for half an hour and the only time i enjoyed it was when Steam approved my refund request

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Rirse posted:

I wonder how long until someone makes a filter for Steam to get rid of VR only games?

Same but for roguelikes. And all retro style 2d games.

• Locked thread