Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

atxsperg posted:

someone once poo poo all over the austin bathroom. requiring a pants change mid day. this was before the new atx office. it facilitated new bathroom rules.

I've heard of doing a half assed job but this is ridiculous!

Edit:

Pebergehund fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
I saw a man do a walking poo poo once, albeit bandy-legged

kordansk
Sep 12, 2011
27 pages to go. I am only refreshing for 3000 now.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

D_Smart posted:

60% of Companies are Facing a Class Action

https://www.lawyersandsettlements.com/articles/employment/companies-face-class-action-lawsuits-21382.html

"Consumer fraud and labor and employment remain the most prevalent class action matters"

That is all.

God you fuckers move so fast. Anyways it seems this was glossed over by Derek and seemed out of context of the rest of the thread. If the whales are filing class action against CiG I'd say that's a pretty huge ELE and could be the one hinted. He has been saying he wanted Star Citizen in court and anything he would do wouldn't bring that into play as it would be CRoberts vs Smart. If that happens then discovery happens which brings about financials and :can:

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
he was E'd up to the eyeballs and attempting to impress some girls if memory serves

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

EightAce posted:

Yeah ...... Sorry about that.

This guy's legit
i'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that bathroom making GBS threads incidents are not uncommon at companies that employ a lot of nerds and is therefore doesn't prove anything

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Ash1138 posted:

i'm gonna play devil's advocate and say that bathroom making GBS threads incidents are not uncommon at companies that employ a lot of nerds and is therefore doesn't prove anything

Could have just been poo poo posting.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

Ash1138 posted:

.....unless they have smeared the word 'dreams' in their own poo poo on the washroom door.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

EightAce posted:

.....unless they have smeared the word 'dreams' in their own poo poo on the washroom door.

don't fly too close to the sun, icarus

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Azram Legion posted:

While many in this thread and elsewhere have described Chris Roberts as a "troubled visionary" type, who could potentially create something amazing if reality wasn’t such a bitch, or if he’d just listen to reason for once, I want to argue the following:

Any project is constrained, and recognizing, managing and navigating within these constraints is the hallmark of a competent designer (and a grown-up, if we’re being honest here). Having an unconstrained vision is the same as dreaming – it means almost nothing once you wake up and face reality. The vision presented for Star Citizen is not only bland and uninspired, owing to Roberts’ complete lack of creative ability, it was also never as clear as any of the supporters believe. What Roberts has is a feeling, in his gut, and not a vision. If he had this clear, artistic vision of the project, then he wouldn’t be constantly tempted to add to it so significantly. That is not the hallmark of a designer with a brilliant vision – it is the hallmark of an “ideas guy”, and believe me, that is not a positive thing to be labeled.

In the real world, Roberts has no direct experience being the project lead on a hundred-million dollar project. His last successful interaction design project was what - the original Wing Commander? He has been a detriment to every project he has been involved in since then. Roberts is unable to understand the very basics of interaction design, yet he is the lead designer and director of a hundred-million dollar project, and he (believes that he) is beholden to no one. If I asked you “Do you think an 18-year-old kid who decided to spend his 111 million dollar inheritance on one project will be successful?” hopefully, your first question would be “Who is he hiring to actually direct it and do all the real work?” The thought of giving a complete newbie a project of this scale is laughable and ridiculous. We aren’t talking about a veteran of the field, here – we’re talking about someone who doesn’t understand the very basics of many of the technologies he is designing his game around, let alone the field his game is supposed to compete in.

This project was doomed from the start because of Roberts. The person who attracted many of you to the project is the one and only reason why it could never be anything but a complete failure, and this was obvious from the beginning to anyone willing to think critically for a second. Oh, sure, this guy with no relevant experience will overtake an entire industry through the sheer brilliance of his ever-changing, ever-expanding vision. This washed up half-wit, incapable of stating anything precisely, will skillfully direct an incredibly complicated project to the satisfaction of anyone. That happens all the time, I’m sure.

Star Citizen isn’t in danger of being a failure because of budget problems or backer distrust – it is guaranteed to be a failure because of Roberts’ actually retarded cognitive abilities.

So picture you're a programmer working for CIG, just sitting in your cubicle and doing your loving job. Every so often a greasy collection of chins are thrust in your field of vision, spitting on your monitor and telling you that you should actually use more GOTO labels and try to keep the number of source files down, or something making an equal amount of sense. You do a heroic effort of humoring him, since you know from experience that is the only way to limit the time and number of his visits

Your coworkers look away, shamefully realizating they're just thankful he chose you this time. By the time babyface leaves with a few carefully selected patronizing platitudes, you're staring daggers in his back with your molars ground to paste and your hair's reflection in the monitor visibly greying

Then you go home, drink yourself livid and knife another bar onto your prison-style calendar

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

Dream Factory
Grimey Drawer
something about an unbroken trail of poo poo attempt.. it reminded me of of the Derek and Clive snot joke

thems were the days...

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.

notoriousman posted:

don't fly too close to the sun, icarus

Or I could be being feces...ious

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

EightAce posted:

:eyepop:

you make a compelling counter-argument

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
:catstare:

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

:eyeparp: ?

LastCaress
May 8, 2004

bonobo
So I was reading another forum when I came across this:

March 11 2015 :lol:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

This thread has taken an interesting turn in its final days.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Sedisp posted:

:eyeparp: ?

:parpeye:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
CIG can't stop inserting their foot into their mouth. Even after 4 years of it, it's still amazing to see.

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Beet Wagon posted:

This thread has taken an interesting turn in its final days.

Great. Now we're doing bird puns.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Azram Legion posted:

While many in this thread and elsewhere have described Chris Roberts as a "troubled visionary" type, who could potentially create something amazing if reality wasn’t such a bitch, or if he’d just listen to reason for once, I want to argue the following:

Any project is constrained, and recognizing, managing and navigating within these constraints is the hallmark of a competent designer (and a grown-up, if we’re being honest here). Having an unconstrained vision is the same as dreaming – it means almost nothing once you wake up and face reality. The vision presented for Star Citizen is not only bland and uninspired, owing to Roberts’ complete lack of creative ability, it was also never as clear as any of the supporters believe. What Roberts has is a feeling, in his gut, and not a vision. If he had this clear, artistic vision of the project, then he wouldn’t be constantly tempted to add to it so significantly. That is not the hallmark of a designer with a brilliant vision – it is the hallmark of an “ideas guy”, and believe me, that is not a positive thing to be labeled.

In the real world, Roberts has no direct experience being the project lead on a hundred-million dollar project. His last successful interaction design project was what - the original Wing Commander? He has been a detriment to every project he has been involved in since then. Roberts is unable to understand the very basics of interaction design, yet he is the lead designer and director of a hundred-million dollar project, and he (believes that he) is beholden to no one. If I asked you “Do you think an 18-year-old kid who decided to spend his 111 million dollar inheritance on one project will be successful?” hopefully, your first question would be “Who is he hiring to actually direct it and do all the real work?” The thought of giving a complete newbie a project of this scale is laughable and ridiculous. We aren’t talking about a veteran of the field, here – we’re talking about someone who doesn’t understand the very basics of many of the technologies he is designing his game around, let alone the field his game is supposed to compete in.

This project was doomed from the start because of Roberts. The person who attracted many of you to the project is the one and only reason why it could never be anything but a complete failure, and this was obvious from the beginning to anyone willing to think critically for a second. Oh, sure, this guy with no relevant experience will overtake an entire industry through the sheer brilliance of his ever-changing, ever-expanding vision. This washed up half-wit, incapable of stating anything precisely, will skillfully direct an incredibly complicated project to the satisfaction of anyone. That happens all the time, I’m sure.

Star Citizen isn’t in danger of being a failure because of budget problems or backer distrust – it is guaranteed to be a failure because of Roberts’ actually retarded cognitive abilities.

Good effort post

Quoted for posterity and possible RyanArchering.

HexDog
Feb 4, 2009

Did you see Regis this morning?

poop? POOP?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mr Fronts posted:

Great. Now we're doing bird puns.

Owl let them get away with it, it's the best I feather heard

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

LastCaress posted:

Haha, holy poo poo.

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Owl let them get away with it, it's the best I feather heard

That's Horrwrendous

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Daztek posted:

lol, I can't wait for the reddit comments saying you don't understand that this image is making fun of you

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/4dh77j/derek_may_need_inspect_those_goon_posts_a_little/

:smug::smug::smug::smug::smug:

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Azram Legion posted:

The thing that really bothers me about it all is that he does have someone to direct it and do all the real work; his brother. In contrast to Chris, Erin Roberts actually has a history of putting out products. He was involved in the Privateer products, he was the one who headed the studio that released Starlancer, and more recently he's been involved in the LEGO series. In addition Alex Mayberry was brought on as executive producer, and his pedigree included Diablo III. There was also Eric Peterson and Rob Irving, both of whom have a history of producing titles (and started their own company to release Descent Underground), as well as Travis Day. With the exception of Erin all of them are gone, and those who are talking have been less than pleasant about their interactions with Chris. Rob Irving said it incredibly well...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PLwo3YCY_8

And of course Roberts said it himself in regards to the last multi-million dollar project he was personally responsible for:

quote:

I needed a producer that could do more than just do a good deal. I needed someone to help me on the set, to tell me hey Chris I know you want to do these 10 things but we only have money to do 5 things really well. So let's pick what they are and knock them out of the park and cut the others. This is what a strong creative producer does, and its what I've tried to do for other directors I've worked with over the last 10 years.

Frankly I believed in Star Citizen because I believed that Chris would provide the vision and the production folks would provide the actual effort. Sadly that never happened.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Berious posted:

I love a good goon pants making GBS threads story

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pU9xz2FpQc0

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

To the best of my knowledge these have never been claimed:

And these were claimed but are now free to be reused/recycled

Also there's a horrible Ryan Archer monstrosity that needs some jokes inserted into it:

these avatar pics are also free for adoption:

^this is pretty great its what i use in discord as my avatar pic

^this one for loish

heres more chatlogs from a shitizen in Smart discord :)
http://imgur.com/a/CmiJR
http://imgur.com/a/54Afa
i love his argument
"yeah its prettier but doesnt push the machine limits" :smug:

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Apr 5, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Wow those guys are dumb

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

ewe2 posted:

Thanks! And thanks to all for listening and making positive comments, it's quite weird to be so inspired this way and having great fun doing it, and feeling encouraged. The creativity in the thread is quite astounding.

But, but, I wanna be TOXIC, like I am supposed to be!

(Also, anyone know of Sandi did post-grad at the University of Northern New Jersey?)

<snicker>

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
How the gently caress could anyone ever think Derek would ignore something to placate someone?

:psyduck:

e: added a gently caress because gently caress

Tijuana Bibliophile fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Apr 5, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

LastCaress posted:

That guy bailed out.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Because it's not like Derek would ever be willing to poke a little fun at himself.

Although honestly I really wouldn't be surprised if he didn't read it.

Tank Boy Ken
Aug 24, 2012
J4G for life
Fallen Rib
^^^^
Well he did run it past his wife.

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Every so often a greasy collection of chins are thrust in your field of vision, spitting on your monitor and telling you that you should actually use more GOTO labels and try to keep the number of source files down,

I've noticed during Bugsmashers: Some code files have more than 80k lines of code. Must be fun to work on.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Tank Boy Ken posted:

^^^^
Well he did run it past his wife.

I've noticed during Bugsmashers: Some code files have more than 80k lines of code. Must be fun to work on.
80k lines? Meh. Chris does that in one midnight session.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

Because it's not like Derek would ever be willing to poke a little fun at himself.

Although honestly I really wouldn't be surprised if he didn't read it.

His face is on it. Of course he read it.

ShredsYouSay
Sep 22, 2011

How's his widow holding up?

EightAce posted:

Yeah ...... Sorry about that.

This guy's legit

derek can you verify this pant making GBS threads incident

one time a guy at work curled a big steaming one out on the goddamn closed lid of the toilet the dirty bastard

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

trucutru posted:

His face is on it. Of course he read it.

Fair point haha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice