Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Corek posted:

I love that The Noid is working its way into the stable of characters on WHM. No impression yet, though.

I sent them a Noid-related e-mail I'm hoping they'll read come next mailbag.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

The Vosgian Beast posted:

I sent them a Noid-related e-mail I'm hoping they'll read come next mailbag.

#bringbackthenoid

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich
If anyone hasn't read the story of why they got rid of the Noid, it's bizarre:

quote:

On January 30, 1989, Kenneth Lamar Noid, a mentally ill man who thought the ads were a personal attack on him, held two employees of an Atlanta Domino's restaurant hostage for over five hours. After forcing them to make him a pizza and making demands for $100,000, getaway transportation, and a copy of The Widow's Son, Noid surrendered to the police.[4] After the incident ended, Police Chief Reed Miller offered a memorable assessment to reporters: "He's paranoid."[5] Noid was charged with kidnapping, aggravated assault, extortion, and possession of a firearm during a crime. He was found not guilty by reason of insanity. Noid spent three months in a mental institution, and eventually committed suicide in 1995. This incident caused Domino's Pizza to discontinue advertising using the Noid as their mascot.[6]

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Corek posted:

If anyone hasn't read the story of why they got rid of the Noid, it's bizarre:

That's what I sent the e-mail about.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

You guys, Sucker Punch is so bad. I had never watched it, and just heard of it's shittiness, but wow. The Punchmentary made it bearable, and there were a few times that Andrew Jupin and I lined up on 'What the gently caress?!' but I'm shocked that anyone ever let Zack Snyder direct a movie again.
Also, it was surprisingly hard to find a non-director's cut of the film.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Shirec posted:

I'm shocked that anyone ever let Zack Snyder direct a movie again.
You know, I'm actually amazed he's made so few movies. I looked on Wikipedia and he's only made eight movies counting BvS. It feels like he's made a ton more.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Shirec posted:

You guys, Sucker Punch is so bad. I had never watched it, and just heard of it's shittiness, but wow. The Punchmentary made it bearable, and there were a few times that Andrew Jupin and I lined up on 'What the gently caress?!' but I'm shocked that anyone ever let Zack Snyder direct a movie again.

Eh The Director's Cut is better. It still has issues, but the theatrical release cuts some pretty key stuff. I think it fails under the weight of its own ambition but I feel like that ambition is only really there in the additional scenes. The theatrical cut is basically what the Director's cut is arguing against.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
D&D sessions where one guy is playing a cowboy or an astronaut is way more common than I think any of the guys know.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

D&D sessions where one guy is playing a cowboy or an astronaut is way more common than I think any of the guys know.

I am playing as Hugh Dancy or Mads Mikkelsen!

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
When I was a kid I loved watching all those movie special effects shows on the Discovery Channel and one did an entire episode on Dungeons and Dragons. The people working on that movie were so proud of that quicksand floor effect, it got an entire segment dedicated to it.

It really was oatmeal painted to look like floor.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Guy Mann posted:

When I was a kid I loved watching all those movie special effects shows on the Discovery Channel and one did an entire episode on Dungeons and Dragons. The people working on that movie were so proud of that quicksand floor effect, it got an entire segment dedicated to it.

It really was oatmeal painted to look like floor.

You start to gain a real appreciation for people doing guerilla special effects with only a couple of dimes to rub together. Early Star Trek: The Next Generation used a lot of stuff like that, with the two most memorable ones I can recall being oatmeal under a heat lamp to simulate the surface of a sun, and a camcorder-recorded panning shot of a rock one of the special effects guys had in his backyard to create the texture of a moon.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.
Because I'm a huge dork I tweeted them that I know how to DM and I live across the river. Though I may have to demand they roleplay as Greg from BvS, Jeremy from Brainscan and Brian from The Watcher. Or maybe Eric Movie and Martin Cinemax III. At least then the game will have some TITS in it!

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Brocktoon posted:

Because I'm a huge dork I tweeted them that I know how to DM and I live across the river. Though I may have to demand they roleplay as Greg from BvS, Jeremy from Brainscan and Brian from The Watcher. Or maybe Eric Movie and Martin Cinemax III. At least then the game will have some TITS in it!

I would love to listen to a recording of the guys playing D&D for the first time.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Evil Mastermind posted:

I would love to listen to a recording of the guys playing D&D for the first time.

I'll second that. I think it'd be a hilarious side episode (considering just how arcane and straight-up weird D&D likely is to an outsider).

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Evil Mastermind posted:

I'll third that.

Perhaps the guys need more D&D fibre in their diet: Mazes & Monsters, Skullduggery, Lords of Magick, Dungeonmaster.....

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Josef K. Sourdust posted:

I'll third that.

Perhaps the guys need more D&D fibre in their diet: Mazes & Monsters, Skullduggery, Lords of Magick, Dungeonmaster.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rr7oipQkCfc

The movie's bad, but I love the trailer.

Josef K. Sourdust
Jul 16, 2014

"To be quite frank, Platinum sucks at making games. Vanquish was terrible and Metal Gear Rising: Revengance was so boring it put me to sleep."

Terrible 1980s' schlock now available on blu-ray? Pray continue, sir. You have my attention...

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!

Shirec posted:

It's amazing how good the Punchmentary is compared to the actual movie. Like, there's the tiniest hint of a decent movie buried under all that Zack Snyder, but it never really amounts to anything.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Brocktoon posted:

Martin Cinemax III is totally the kind of player who would just spend the game trying to have pretend sex with wenches at the tavern. Like the Flophouse dorks did in their lovely guest episode of The Adventure Zone.

Brocktoon
Jul 18, 2006

Before we engage we should hang back and study their tactics.

Guy Mann posted:

Martin Cinemax III is totally the kind of player who would just spend the game trying to have pretend sex with wenches at the tavern. Like the Flophouse dorks did in their lovely guest episode of The Adventure Zone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vChEPj0dXXk

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man, their sister podcast ideas keep getting weirder and more niche all the time

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Eric, if you're still reading the thread, you'll be happy to know that one of the official D&D settings does in fact have a time-lost astronaut as a major character. In fact, he's one of the setting's gods. Alongside a hyperintelligent dinosaur. I don't remember offhand if one was a cowboy, though.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Terrible 1980s' schlock now available on blu-ray? Pray continue, sir. You have my attention...

Oh, it's the shlockiest. I saw it waaaaaay back in the day, because it came out on video about the same time I started playing D&D, so of course I'm like "Oh man shweet, a movie about a Dungeonmashter!"

I haven't seen it in decades, but I somehow remember the "plot" is that a guy creates a supercomputer called X-CaliBR8, which of course garners him the attention of super-evil game-loving demon Richard Moll. Moll then turns the room-sized computer into a magic armband for the programmer, and sends him through all different realities to see if technology can beat magic. Or something.

Oh, and at one point the hero gets sent to a WASP concert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BheIWU3-BMI

Fun IMDB trivia: this movie is the original source of the line "I reject your reality and substitute my own!"

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Re: Belts making for the chosen one in D&D

Vakal
May 11, 2008

If belts of Hill Giant strength really existed, I would wrap every square inch of myself in them as well and then go punch a dragon to death with my bare hands.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Ah, I see that's the inspiration for the Final Fantasy character designer for the past decade and a half.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
They're doing a romcom with a lovely protagonist next week!

I eagerly await finding out the context of that "I say a little prayer for you" scene.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Jimbot posted:

Ah, I see that's the inspiration for the Final Fantasy character designer for the past decade and a half.
Oh, if you want to talk "overdesigned characters" then we need to talk about Wayne Reynold's stuff.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

There's a lot of garbage on blu-ray because people have a print and want to digitize it.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Eric, if you're still reading the thread, you'll be happy to know that one of the official D&D settings does in fact have a time-lost astronaut as a major character. In fact, he's one of the setting's gods. Alongside a hyperintelligent dinosaur. I don't remember offhand if one was a cowboy, though.

I am going to out myself as a giant nerd by not only confirming that he was a cowboy, but say his name was Murlynd and he had two six-shooter wands.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Evil Mastermind posted:

Oh, if you want to talk "overdesigned characters" then we need to talk about Wayne Reynold's stuff.
is he like rob liefeld's little cousin or something

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Evil Mastermind posted:

Jimbot posted:

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Haha oh my god, I never noticed the little heels before. Also I bet those shoes suck when it rains.

Illinois Smith posted:

Nah, he can draw feet.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

I'm the inexplicably round sword

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I am going to out myself as a giant nerd by not only confirming that he was a cowboy, but say his name was Murlynd and he had two six-shooter wands.
I'll be honest: the only reason I didn't name characters was because I wasn't near my books to check at the time to look up the specifics.

Corek
May 11, 2013

by R. Guyovich

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I love the fantasy names that are just regular names slightly changed. Like all the planets named Yrth or Urth or Eart.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

This dude owns though?

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Corek posted:

I love the fantasy names that are just regular names slightly changed. Like all the planets named Yrth or Urth or Eart.

Almost all the "famous" wizard spells with names are just anagrams of the dudes who played them. Like Tesner is just Ernest and so on.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Crowetron posted:

This dude owns though?
What's funny is that "dude with fifty weapons" became less and less effective as D&D went on. Like how they ditched the whole "three of our gods are an astronaut, a cowboy wizard, and a dinosaur" style ideas for what amounts to Tolkien, Only More Tolkiener.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

Illinois Smith posted:

That's pretty harsh. Sure some of his stuff is clevagetastic but he clearly has some understanding of anatomy and not all of his characters are grimacing,