Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I think the team who ends up with the top pick will put extra weight on the workout sessions/interviews this summer. I'm sure it's generally Ben Simmons' spot to lose, but I would bet if Ingram blows people away then he'd probably get slotted into the top pick. In the Sixers case, I just hope neither decides to tank their workout or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I think it probably depends on who gets the pick too. Like the lakers might be more inclined to take Ingram because it'd be hard to play randle and Simmons together. I kinda personally lean Ingram at this point I think but I go back and forth on it a lot and I'd probably still say Simmons is the slight favorite.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
For Thon isn't the rule 19 OR a year out of high school? He should be eligible.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Lockback posted:

For Thon isn't the rule 19 OR a year out of high school? He should be eligible.

He was playing American high school basketball so they may not count him as "international". I'm not sure even they know though

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

MourningView posted:

Poetl is younger and way more athletic

He is, but they were close enough in head to head that I'm not like "wow that guy needs to go 50 spots ahead of Kaleb."

--

Simmons is interesting in that I could see him very easily going #1 or #3 depending on how the draft order pans out. I'm not positive the Sixers will pick him at #2 even if Ingram goes to whoever gets #1.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Rick posted:

He is, but they were close enough in head to head that I'm not like "wow that guy needs to go 50 spots ahead of Kaleb."

--

Simmons is interesting in that I could see him very easily going #1 or #3 depending on how the draft order pans out. I'm not positive the Sixers will pick him at #2 even if Ingram goes to whoever gets #1.

They'll pick him, but a trade wouldn't be out of the question.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Metapod posted:

Remember when fab melo went top 20. Anything is possible in the NBA draft

Fab Melo is great because whenever I hear his name all I can think of is Carmelo Anthony in that ridiculous silver hat. Too bad that's his only contribution to the NBA.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Any of the Champion Villanova Wildcats going in the NBA?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

R.D. Mangles posted:

Any of the Champion Villanova Wildcats going in the NBA?

Josh Hart maybe but probably not for another year

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Redgrendel2001 posted:

They'll pick him, but a trade wouldn't be out of the question.

If Ingram goes 1 and Sixers have 2, the Sixers will 100% trade something. The last thing they need is another big man

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

DOOP posted:

If Ingram goes 1 and Sixers have 2, the Sixers will 100% trade something. The last thing they need is another big man

Probably but Simmons is athletic enough and a good enough ball handler that he can play almost anywhere on the court.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Ty1990 posted:

Probably but Simmons is athletic enough and a good enough ball handler that he can play almost anywhere on the court.

Put him at the point :hist101:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Ty1990 posted:

He can probably defend 3s, but if you play simmons with Okafor and Noel you're going to have a real bad time on offense.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1 - Simmons
2 - ? but needs to be 7'
3 - Noel
4 - Okafor
5 - Embiid

See what number ends up being higher, average height or number of wins.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think Simmons is a good ball handler on the break or in isolation but I'm not actually so sure he was that great at dribbling the ball up and initiating an offense which is something completely different.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

C. Everett Koop posted:

1 - Simmons
2 - ? but needs to be 7'
3 - Noel
4 - Okafor
5 - Embiid

See what number ends up being higher, average height or number of wins.

2 - Saric, obviously. 5 Towers Offense.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Noel is most likely gone imho. Next year is already his 4th. Okafor will also likely be traded especially if Embiid can play a full season.

So there is plenty of room for BS.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the best fit for SImmons is probably the Suns or the Timberwolves (where Towns probably compliments him very well), or the Celtics (although he may not play much initially with them if they're still trying to win).

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Simmons and Towns would be ludicrous.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

Noel is most likely gone imho. Next year is already his 4th. Okafor will also likely be traded especially if Embiid can play a full season.

embiid_shooting_while_standing_still_look_at_those_sick_gains_957.jpg

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He's moving now!!!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

euphronius posted:

He's moving now!!!

I really do hope he pans out for y'all.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Rick posted:

I think the best fit for SImmons is probably the Suns or the Timberwolves (where Towns probably compliments him very well), or the Celtics (although he may not play much initially with them if they're still trying to win).

This times a million. Wiggins/Simmons/Towns would be an absolute sick core. They would have to dump Rubio for literally any point guard that can shoot, and would need a good mix of rotating 3/D guys but that team would be scary good in 2 years.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

This times a million. Wiggins/Simmons/Towns would be an absolute sick core. They would have to dump Rubio for literally any point guard that can shoot, and would need a good mix of rotating 3/D guys but that team would be scary good in 2 years.

Or just let Rubio do his magic and run an offense that involves a lot of cuts to the basket

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Paul Zuvella posted:

They would have to dump Rubio for literally any point guard that can shoot

Nah

Metapod posted:

Or just let Rubio do his magic and run an offense that involves a lot of cuts to the basket

Yah :haw:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

euphronius posted:

Trading your high lottery pick so you can better play a big man coming back from multiple foot-related injuries seems... ill advised.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Grozz Nuy posted:

Trading your high lottery pick so you can better play a big man coming back from multiple foot-related injuries seems... ill advised.

Yeah listening to Hinkie today they have no confidence on his foot. So imho Okafor is sticking around.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
But what of all the vines

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

MourningView posted:

But what of all the vines

The NBA doing the opposite of other professional leagues and embracing social media sharing is just more proof that they are the best league on the planet.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
I agree with that I was just making fun of the sixers fans losing there poo poo every time footage of Embiid taking a set shot surfaces

MourningView fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Apr 6, 2016

Ty1990
Apr 22, 2011

MourningView posted:

I agree with that I was just making fun of the sixers fans losing there poo poo every time footage of Embiid taking a set shot surfacesi

We have nothing else dude

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
I've already resigned myself to Embiid being the new Greg Oden.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Simmons wouldn't be a great fit on MN, if they do win the #1 Ingram is a much better fit, but yeah that team would be ridicu-fun

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Lockback posted:

Simmons wouldn't be a great fit on MN, if they do win the #1 Ingram is a much better fit, but yeah that team would be ridicu-fun
I just don't see it. If anything Minnesota has the most potential to put Ingram in a situation that will expose a lot of his weaknesses. He needs to go somewhere that's going to make him the focus of their offense and not ask him to play the 4 or the 2 for at least a couple years and forget any sort of small ball scenario.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Isn't Ingram on paper a better fit for most NBA teams simply because of style of play and his strength being shooting? Simmons' potential is pretty much the great unknown at this point, though I really do think if he has a good workout with a team that he'll most likely cement his spot at the top of the draft again.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Ty1990 posted:

We have nothing else dude

Y'all can't be all "wooo the process" and then whine about what that actually results in.

Rick posted:

I just don't see it. If anything Minnesota has the most potential to put Ingram in a situation that will expose a lot of his weaknesses. He needs to go somewhere that's going to make him the focus of their offense and not ask him to play the 4 or the 2 for at least a couple years and forget any sort of small ball scenario.

I guess I don't see why having him play stretch 4 in small ball lineups is a bad thing? Being able to do that seems like one of the best reasons to draft a 6'10" dude who can shoot threes. He probably won't be great at it defensively right away but that's true of almost every rookie regardless of where he plays and he's not going to get better at it by not doing it

MourningView fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Apr 6, 2016

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

MourningView posted:

Y'all can't be all "wooo the process" and then whine about what they actually results in.

No one is whining except for the people throwing tantrums about the terrible, terrible crime of half a dozen videos being posted over the course of a year.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Oh boy, it's the classic Internet "You're mad!" "No, YOU'RE mad!" argument

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

MourningView posted:

Y'all can't be all "wooo the process" and then whine about what that actually results in.

I guess I don't see why having him play stretch 4 in small ball lineups is a bad thing? Being able to do that seems like one of the best reasons to draft a 6'10" dude who can shoot threes. He probably won't be great at it defensively right away but that's true of almost every rookie regardless of where he plays and he's not going to get better at it by not doing it

I was more worried about him in small lineups where people are basically playing a guard at the traditional 1, 2, 3 spots that a lot of teams have started to run this year. I don't think he'll just get killed defensively by little dudes but that he also doesn't really have the tools at the moment to punish smaller defenders if they end up on him.

He's fine in a small ball "Paul Pierce plays the 4" type of lineups.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Probably Magic posted:

I've already resigned myself to Embiid being the new Greg Oden.

Oden at least played.

• Locked thread