Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who wins next year?
This poll is closed.
NJIT 6 7.32%
Northwestern 9 10.98%
Pitbull 6 7.32%
Duke/Satan 11 13.41%
A blue blood 11 13.41%
"Leadership and academics" 11 13.41%
UCI loving Anteaters 10 12.20%
Connecticut Women Basketball in the Mens 18 21.95%
Total: 52 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Alternative title: "GAME MODE - Bullshit Threes: 'On'"

https://twitter.com/BballProblemz/status/717407177518940160

https://twitter.com/CharlesRobinson/status/717193049454092288

Holy poo poo.

Anyway, here's something to laugh at in a year from now: http://www.sbnation.com/college-basketball/2016/4/5/11362474/2016-2017-college-basketball-early-ranking-top-25-villanova-kentucky-duke

Pretty much the only recruits in the Top 20 not signed with Duke a team yet are Josh Jackson and Terrance Ferguson, so there's the drama. I don't think anyone knows who's taking over at Tulane/Valparaiso/Georgia Tech yet. And tonight Connecticut wins yet another women's basketball title.

Discuss

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

#1 Pelican Fan
Dunleavy Sr. has been confirmed for Tulane.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
That was my second favorite UNC loss ever right behind this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCHZeFl33k

While the stakes were lower losing to Austin Rivers is about 100 times more embarrassing

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

This is the thread where you'll find the college basketball non-bandwagon fans.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Look at this freaking dude

https://twitter.com/smartfootball/status/717211101331636224

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
I already miss college basketball, drat it.

Adun posted:

That was my second favorite UNC loss ever right behind this classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCHZeFl33k

While the stakes were lower losing to Austin Rivers is about 100 times more embarrassing

How was last night's loss embarrassing? Embarrassing is getting beaten by 40 points in the Final Four, not losing on one of the most memorable shots in tournament history.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.
The best thing about that loss is UNC fans who have been so drat salty all year now have nothing to look forward to but the hope of not getting punished for a scheme that basically undermines any remaining, feeble justification for NCAA revenue sports.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Aww, Bryce Drew. :(

Indiana is gonna be good next year if one or both of Bryant and Williams return. If not, I'm expecting a year like 2014-15 again.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Watching SDSU next year without Shepard and Spencer is going to suck

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

vikingstrike posted:

I already miss college basketball, drat it.

How was last night's loss embarrassing? Embarrassing is getting beaten by 40 points in the Final Four, not losing on one of the most memorable shots in tournament history.

This loss wasn't embarrassing. I'm saying losing to Austin Rivers is embarrassing, thus that loss is demonstrably worse on my arbitrary scale of "Worst UNC losses of all time".

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

That game was insane. NRG was shaking from the noise. I also stood next to Marcus Camby in the concourse while I waited in line for a hot dog. He's a giant.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
There's no women's college ball thread on the first page, and I'm not going to look for it. Geno Auriemma can suck my rear end hole. gently caress you Geno Auriemma, gently caress you all the way to hell you piece of poo poo

Marlows
Nov 4, 2009

elentar posted:

The best thing about that loss is UNC fans who have been so drat salty all year now have nothing to look forward to but the hope of not getting punished for a scheme that basically undermines any remaining, feeble justification for NCAA revenue sports.

Not really. I'm looking forward to next season. Gonna miss a student like Paige. It's a shame he's been attacked for garbage that happened prior to his career. I'm also sure that NC State has had a monopoly on salt for decades at this point.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Has any other athletic scandal ever caused an entire academic department to be shut down and restarted?

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

There's no women's college ball thread on the first page, and I'm not going to look for it. Geno Auriemma can suck my rear end hole. gently caress you Geno Auriemma, gently caress you all the way to hell you piece of poo poo

This guy gets it.

oldgoatmon
Jul 4, 2004

Ohhh Bitch, You Got Jacked Bitch

Adun posted:

Has any other athletic scandal ever caused an entire academic department to be shut down and restarted?

Normally I just shake my head at the sad game that the big schools play where athletes are just professional athletes paid under the table and in 'a diploma' but after all the ACC's BUT WE'RE REALLY ABOUT ACADEMICS LOL throw me on the haters pile and I'd love to see UNC eat it.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

My dude. Also Danny Manning gonna bring Wake back to relevance within 2 years, book it.

Go Cuse, god I loathe UConn.

EDIT: I hesitate to post my thoughts for fear of sounding like Captain Sexist Hot Take but I'll just say I can't fathom Women's College Basketball.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Apr 6, 2016

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
https://twitter.com/FakeSportsCentr/status/717531735370498048

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
Oh wow UConn wins another women's championship. I'm gonna settle my nuts on Geno's face

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

Oh wow UConn wins another women's championship. I'm gonna settle my nuts on Geno's face

HOW THE gently caress CAN NO TEAMS KEEP WITHIN 20 POINTS OF THEM

I just don't get it.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

SamuraiFoochs posted:

HOW THE gently caress CAN NO TEAMS KEEP WITHIN 20 POINTS OF THEM

I just don't get it.

It's because Pat Summitt (PBUH) is slipping from us slowly. I'm going to give Geno a Gotch-style Piledriver and pin him.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

It's because Pat Summitt (PBUH) is slipping from us slowly. I'm going to give Geno a Gotch-style Piledriver and pin him.

It is seriously agonizing listening to these announcers trying to be all, "No but seriously women's college basketball is totally competitive, you guys!"

Please tell me that's not how I sound about WWE.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

NickRoweFillea posted:

There was an "accidental" botch in the process

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

A Huffington Post article the other day tried to make Geno and UConn out as martyrs because no one was saying Villanova's forty-point win was ruining the men's game and :psyboom:

Blogospheres are the absolute worst about sports.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Probably Magic posted:

A Huffington Post article the other day tried to make Geno and UConn out as martyrs because no one was saying Villanova's forty-point win was ruining the men's game and :psyboom:

Blogospheres are the absolute worst about sports.

I hate him. He is the only man outside of my family that has ever made my dear old mother swear in anger. gently caress you Geno and gently caress your stupid rear end glasses too, you old crusty piece of poo poo garbage idiot

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

NickRoweFillea posted:

I hate him. He is the only man outside of my family that has ever made my dear old mother swear in anger. gently caress you Geno and gently caress your stupid rear end glasses too, you old crusty piece of poo poo garbage idiot

Coach Summit get off the computer and go to bed.

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

Very pumped for K-State to be the worst or second worst in the big 12. Take us to the bottom, Brucey Baby

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Aside from UCONN, there actually seemed to be way more upsets in the women's bracket this year. Usually the 1 and 2 seeds dominate, but some 1 seeds went down early.

Anyway, I don't think Monte Morris has even semi-declared for the NBA draft, which gives me high hopes that he sticks around at ISU for one more year. ISU will probably play three guards all the time. They did pick up a big man from NIU, and another biggish guy from the JUCO ranks. They need big guys in a bad way. Somehow ISU has to replace the 20 or so points Niang was putting up every night. I think Niang's consistency will be more missed, he just rarely had an off night.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Matey posted:

Very pumped for K-State to be the worst or second worst in the big 12. Take us to the bottom, Brucey Baby

Look on the bright side, there's a decent chance that Brad Underwood was all smoke and mirrors and will fail miserably.

But, you know, probably not. This is what Underwood is doing that someone like Kim Anderson apparently has no idea how to do...

Brad Underwood Hires Good Recruiters and Coaches

quote:

Reports on Tuesday linked Boise State assistant Danny Henderson and Stephen F. Austin assistant Mike Boynton to Brad Underwood’s staff.

Henderson has been an assistant at Boise State since 2013-14, but coached Flower Mound (Texas) Marcus from 2009-2012 — having Marcus Smart and Phil Forte for their sophomore, junior and senior seasons in the process.

He gives Oklahoma State an assistant with a deep background in Texas. He was a high school head coach in Texas dating back to the late 1980s and is an alumnus of Austin College.

Boynton was with Underwood all three seasons at Stephen F. Austin and previously worked as an assistant for four years at South Carolina, his alma mater. He also worked as an associate head coach at Wofford in 2007-08 and as an assistant at Coastal Carolina prior to that.

Boynton is a native of Brooklyn, N.Y.

Evans, a former South Carolina and Kansas State assistant, was announced as Underwood’s first staff addition on Monday. He brings a reputation as a solid recruiter and some experience in the Big 12.

In a phone interview on Tuesday, Underwood said Evans is connected both in the United States and internationally.

So you've got three talented coaches who have recruiting ties to New York, Texas, Big 12 country, the Carolinas AND overseas.

kiimo fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Apr 6, 2016

Matey
Mar 28, 2008

eat food

kiimo posted:

Look on the bright side, there's a decent chance that Brad Underwood was all smoke and mirrors and will fail miserably.

But, you know, probably not. This is what Underwood is doing that someone like Kim Anderson apparently has no idea how to do...

Brad Underwood Hires Good Recruiters and Coaches

So you've got three talented coaches who have recruiting ties to New York, Texas, Big 12 country, the Carolinas AND overseas.

I'm hoping K-State will be able to do to Oklahoma St. what West Virginia did to us with Huggins, but I'm not getting my hopes too high with that one, especially considering the brilliant Mr. Currie and Oklahoma St.'s money .

Regnevelc
Jan 12, 2003

I'M A GROWN ASS MAN!
Aubrey Dawkins to transfer to UCF to play for his dad. He should be really good there.

That's the 3rd exit from Michigan this year (although now Spike could theoretically come back and I wouldn't be surprised if he does).

Michigan is 1 under the scholarship limit now going into next year, so it'll be interesting to see what Beilein does, I know he tried to reopen communications with Josh Jackson lately.

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Aubrey Dawkins is transferring from Michigan to go play for his dad at UCF.

Here's my scouting report:

Amazing three point shooter, complete deadeye

Ridiculous athlete who can dunk anything on an alley oop

well he sounds amazing I'm surely devast--

Worst defender in division 1, can't keep anyone in front of him and has 0 awareness of what's going on around him, beat by cuts to the basket off the ball constantly

Incredibly poor rebounder given his athleticism, shows 0 ability to read ball off the rim or box out

well. yeah.

I will miss him for the crazy threes and dunks, but unless his dad can coach him the rudimentary basics of basketball...

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Grayson Allen is coming back to Duke. drat. Been a bad couple of days for UNC.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

RumbleFish posted:

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

RumbleFish posted:

this is a tragedy for all of us who have to look at his face

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

RumbleFish posted:

Why is he not at least seeing what the nba wants him to improve on :psyduck:

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

Metapod posted:

He needs to get better at tripping people. Oh, wait

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Grayson Allen, to UNC on the occasion of the NCAA title game: "Have a nice trip....see you next fall! lol"

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Metapod posted:

"Stop being such an unrepentant rear end in a top hat with a punchable face" isn't an improveable skill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Tangentially related to college basketball but I learned a crazy goddamn thing about One Shining Moment today: CBS originally bought the rights from the composer so they could use to end their Super Bowl broadcast in 1987, but it ran way long and the ending montage got cut so they asked the composer if he would settle for having it used at the end of the NCAA basketball tournament instead.

One Shining Moment was going to be the Super Bowl Anthem :stare:

• Locked thread