Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"
Glass and Silver

Just Fire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
Glass, Fire

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007

Changing my materials vote to:

Dice, Glass, Milk, Brass, and HAUNTED HOUSES

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Changing materials vote to:

Bismuth, Dice, Milk, Music and Haunted Houses

Just Metal
No Classic Elements

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Sand, Silver, Water.

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

Glass
Silver
Fire & Water Combo

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.
Nice, this is narrowing it down well. I'll be closing applications in an hour or so - there's no limit of people, and anyone else who joins can totally play as a Wisp and jump in next time, but I need the Materials nailed down so I can do... well, anything!

Dinosaurmageddon
Jul 7, 2007

by zen death robot
Hell Gem
(I'm a newcomer to these sorts of games so being a Wisp suits me just fine!)

Luxeguerre, the (un-realized) god of the Spirit Realm Initial Chara Roll: 1d100 11

Materials: Jade & Sand (Stone), Water & Fire (combo), Clouds, Silver & Gold (metal)

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Amygdahl, God of Broken Promises
1d100=89

Materials
Cults, Bone, Obsidian, Obelisks, Souls

e: Geomaton floor, best floor. I've been looking forward to this game ever since you mentioned you were interested in running it.

ee: I'm a dumb dumb who missed the part about the materials having to be, well, material.

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Apr 5, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Clay, Steel, and Water

Waci
May 30, 2011

A boy and his dog.
Glass, just rock, just water.

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Wisp me

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007

Roland T. Dapperman posted:

Changing my materials vote to:

Dice, Glass, Milk, Brass, and HAUNTED HOUSES

this wisp agreeeeessss woohooooo

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

THAT'S IT, RECRUITMENT CLOSED

Here's the Gods of our first Age!
    GODS
  • Sullo, God of Weight
  • Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes
  • Amygdahl, God of Broken Promises
  • Ashar Ado, God of Joy
  • Illarin, God of Flowing Water

MATERIALS (without any combining of similar concepts)
  • Glass
  • Milk
  • Water
  • Dice
  • Silver
Every part of your selections is super weird and I'm incredibly suprised we have THREEfuck TWO liquids. That's going to change things quite a bit - looks like we're going to want to have some amphibious action! Now it's onto the next bit - I need to do all the art and writing for the next sequence, but I need stuff from the five Gods.

Each of you needs to draw me a godly Icon! Don't worry if you can't draw, it's easy!

Connect the dots with lines of a single color - that will become your Icon and your Color. Straight lines or right angle arc segments of a 1 unit radius circle! If that last bit made no sense, just use straight lines! Don't worry about making it pretty, I have a whole system for that.

Update after all Gods post - and after my drawings are done!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Apr 6, 2016

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Rock OR Metal

Fire AND Water

E: prolly too late. Ah well!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ashar Ado

JesterOfAmerica
Sep 11, 2015
whats the third liquid, (milk, water) is it silver?

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

JesterOfAmerica posted:

whats the third liquid, (milk, water) is it silver?

Uh... Hmm. No, its just two and I suck! Ha!

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Joining as a wisp for the time being!

Kyyp
Jan 14, 2007

Sullo

Kyyp fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Apr 6, 2016

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Yes, I know I'm not a god yet. This symbol is drawn in some old books though.

I havent found the word in English for what the Wisp is about, but it involves the darkness in the deepest caves, the slow wearing down by black waters, secrets and forgotten things in listless pools, the madness and loneliness of being lost below the earth, and the feeling that the person you were closest to left you there.

Worshippers favor (or are) slimes/aquatic/aberrant grafts or summons
Open worshippers involve the colors black, purple, and crimson
Favor bio/chemical weapons (smallpox, pneumonic plague, pitch/sulfur/mustard combos)
Outbreaks of plague/breaking of aquaducts/despoiling land and water are signs of their approach
also, wraiths/decay scavenger bugs/other critters of systemic breakdown

the high priest (perhaps only sentient priest):
surrounded by slimes/amphibious things
they hate each other, but use each other
{sigil} needs the worship to exist
priest parasitically draws power from it
binds the shadow/avatar of it, forces secrets

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6739.0;wap2

ritual sites have hallocogenic inhalants made from mushrooms/moss, chants, metal masks that dont cover the mouth, cone helms
building materials favor basalt, aragonite, geothermal taps, arches and domes connected by tiny tunnels (slimes, bugs, wraiths can pass them)

http://io9.gizmodo.com/5848192/giant-prehistoric-krakens-may-have-sculpted-self-portraits-using-ichthyosaur-bones

Underwater creatures have had ~4 billion years of evolution on earth, and some of them made into the caves deep below. And some of them discovered worship.

http://www.astrobio.net/topic/origins/extreme-life/life-might-thrive-dozen-miles-beneath-earths-surface/

Loel fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Apr 6, 2016

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Hey this is kinda fun(not a god)

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
This is my best attempt at a double helix.

http://i.imgur.com/hWDYEhd.png

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

Illarin, God of Flowing Water
3 HP

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

This is cool.
A Wisp who totally wants to be the god of thresholds some day is joining

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

Oh, while Im thinking of it - everyone go here:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/atlasgames/unknown-armies-third-edition-roleplaying-game

"A new edition of the occult tabletop game about broken and obsessed people risking everything to change the world." Its us! :D

Also good links on world building:
http://www.kjd-imc.org/blog/lexicon-and-microscope-a-study-of-an-imaginary-world/
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=11487.0
http://www.clanwebsite.org/games/rpg/Dawn_of_Worlds_game_1_0Final.pdf

Loel fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Apr 6, 2016

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Catmandu, Goddess of Cattes
3 HP

Puppies are dicks
Jan 31, 2011

WHY YOU GOTTA BREAK A BROS HEART

LuiCypher posted:

3 HP

This was the best choice, best catte. Gonna Wisp everything this catte does, ever for sure.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
This looks fun... In as a wisp which may develop into some sort of deity of making golems/steampunks/robots as the ages progress.

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.
Amygdahl

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

Thousands of Gods press against Somewhere’s boundaries, their chaotic energies whirling against its foundations. The Something bends to their will, warping and solidifying into five Fundamental Essences.

Glass, the Essence of Sharpness, Clarity and Fragility

Milk, the Essence of Health, Abundance, and Hunger

Silver, the Essence of Mystery, Wealth, and Premonition

Water, the Essence of Transformation, Rebirth, and Wandering

Dice, the Essence of Fortune, Vice, and Risk.

Somewhere rocks and shivers under the onslaught - then settles, stabilized by the aspects of the Fundamental Essences. The quantum foam clears, revealing Somewhere in all its glory for the first time.

The five Gods float slowly through the thick atmosphere, viewing the bounty that was theirs alone. Shorn from the undifferentiated mass of the Ocean, they came into their Names and Specialties.
Amyhdahl, God of Broken Promises
Ashar Ado, God of Joy
Sullo, God of Weight
They stretched their nascent powers, sending eddies of colorful energy spinning away. But something more interesting was happening below - Life. Living and dying beneath them, yet innocent to the influence of their rightful Gods. Soundlessly, the Gods divided their attention, each focusing on the budding life somewhere in their territory.

-O-

Creeping around on a patch of Dicestone, furtively scrabbling at the surface of a cluster ofMarblemoss, is the first creature the Gods encounter - the Verre, a being of Glass. Its razor claws expertly slice through the fruit’s surface, drawing forth a liquid trickle of Glass. The Verre eagerly laps it up - though not without a judicial amount of caution. Even now, Somewhere can be dangerous.
(The Verre are your Glass People - they are deadly in melee combat due to their sharp edges, but they are fragile and cautious. Under the care of a God, they can become almost anything.)

Grazing the Silver Plains, the next creature - the Laitache, a being of Milk. It lumbers across the Plains, travelling with its herd, until it finds a stand of Milkweed. Together, they nudge down a satchel of pure Milk and tear it open, lapping the nutritious liquid off the Silver landscape. They bellow in triumph and satisfaction.
(The Laitache are your Milk People - they are strong and hardy, but slow and foolish. They greatly prefer staying with their herd, feeling most comfortable in groups. You could break them of that, if you wished)

Crunching its way across the Glasslands, a Silvurtle trundles towards a few stray branches of Argentwig. Shearing them neatly out of the pebbled earth, it breaks the stiff metal in its jaws as though they were carrot sticks. Polishing its shell with the thin ooze of Silver dribbling out of the broken stalks, it moved onwards towards its next snack.
(The Silvurtle are your Silver People - well armored and clever, but quite vain. Even now, they are mystics, seeking beauty as well as nourishment. They could be forged into weapons or scholars, at your Godly whim.)

Splashing through the Flooded Shallows, a lone Fortugnat half paddles, half skips its way through the Water, heedless of the dangerous pitfalls. An amphibious group of Orchidice sways and bends in a shallow pond, and the Fortugnat extends a curious limb from one of the holes in its shell. Finding it safe enough, it extends others, drawing the fruit into its maw.
(The Fortugnat are your Dice People - curious and brave, but foolhardy. They will always rise to the challenge, try anything, and give everything for a big gamble. You can calm them, channel their drive for success - or let them give into wild excesses)

In a deep lake, beneath a rocky overhang of Milkstone, an Aqueau streams smoothly through the Water. Paddling and cavorting with its fellows, it spies a hanging cluster of Droplecks. They glide smoothly over and each pick a lush, firm fruit from its bunch. They crush them between in their jaws, letting the viscous, sweet Water out to mingle with that of the Lake. They turn and kick away, moving faster than you'd expect.
(The Aqueau are your Water People - playful and fast, but easily distracted. In their element, they are fast and mobile, suffering somewhat on land (though if pressed they can do so). You will alone will determine whether they build an empire under Water or flood out onto the land, crushing all others under a watery pseudopod)

Exploration complete (or at least begun) the Gods took to the skies, gazing down at the land below. It was up to them, now - to Act.

-O-
Wow that was long! Alright, time to start. As you may have noticed, there are no cultures anywhere yet - just a few animals, a few plants. They just lack divine inspiration! Here's a couple of hints to start you off:
  • Pick one People, focus your Action on them. The mere fact that you focus on them will uplift them to sentience and kick off their culture, regardless of the success of your roll.
  • Your Action each turn has to be focused on People - you can't just create a storm, you need to storm SOMEONE.
  • Reminder: Gods state their action and roll 1d20 to see how well it went off. Wisps can +-1 to any SINGLE God's roll - only once per Wisp!
  • Each God can pick whatever People they want - you don't have to split up. In past games, everyone just worked with one group, leaving the others to do whatever. The sides with Gods on them will have a distinct advantage, however!
  • You don't need to stick with the same People each time! Next round you can totally help someone else, if you want.
  • Even if two God's actions are in opposition, they both happen. The higher roll takes priority, but side-effects will spin off from the other roll. Everyone's decisions matter.
  • Keep in mind they're basically cavemen - if you tell them to build Power Armor now, they're just going to be like :wtf: and try their best with hilarious outcomes.
  • Your god will die, but your legacy will live on. Make it a legacy you're proud of! ...Or live on in ancestral fear!

• EDIT: Some clarification someone asked later:

dog kisser posted:

Ah - just natural rolls for 1 or 20. Wisp aided makes it just real bad or real good normal rolls. This also applies to the 2 HP health loss on the 1 and the +1 to rolls on the 20.

Edit: ALSO! If you roll a 20 and get pushed down, you get the +1 bonus, but not giga success. If you roll a 1 and get pushed up, you take 2 damage, but not giga failure!

Dog Kisser fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 7, 2016

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
This is looking great. A shame Palladas got knocked out of the ranking at the very last moment, but eh, what can you do about it?

Somebody teach those Orchidice when to fold 'em. I like their style, but they need our guidance!

Barbed Tongues
Mar 16, 2012

We press ourselves against the boundaries of the Somewhere, basking in the Something of it all. We are bitter that we could not push beyond the barriers, and envious when we sense others who can.

We sparkle in the void, and when our anger subsides against those who Passed Through, we look to what is.

Someone twinkles back. A reflection, still - not like the waters. Sharp, not like the milkey ones. They are the Verre, and they offer a mirror sheen of our own helplessness. We sing to them and dance hoping they might see, arranging our faint lights into symbols and constellations to draw them to the heavens.

Wisp maneuver: +1 to the first posted action which uplifts or helps the Verre in some way.

If allowed to sweeten the pot, vs. only reacting as a wisp.

edit: adding the bonus to Catmandu's teaching.

(1) Wisp Action Taken

Barbed Tongues fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 6, 2016

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Ashar Ado

3/3 HP

Nourished by Something, Ashar Ado Awakened in Somewhere, forming from nothing into the pleasant feeling you get when experiencing something new.
The presence floated contentedly above the lands for a time too long to measure, before descending to explore every nook and cranny of the fresh world, giving it all the attention it deserved.

The attention given however, was not entirely equal. Whilst the endless intricacies of the vistas offered by the Silver Plains or the majestic beauty of Dicestone cliffs where all amazing to behold,
no place on Somewhere drew the presence more than the curious creatures of the Glasslands; the Silvurtles.

They too sought Beauty in the world and Ashar Ado shivered with the Joy that was its fundament.
It found a small gathering of them, frighted, cold and weary from travel in a dice-stone cave. There they huddled from a sudden storm raging outside, nibbling on Argentwigs that had forever been their one source of nourishment.

Suddenly the wind picked up, guided by the whims of fancy to hurricane force, and from their hidey-hole the group of creatures witnessed in awe as the Argenforest outside before them swayed to and fro; their metallic structure reverberating with a pleasant harmony.

Inventing Music: 1d20 17

Thus the First Song was Crafted, and with it the Joy of Creation. Ashar, Ado

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 23:08 on Apr 6, 2016

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

+1 to this.

Wisp Count For My Own Future Reference: 1

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

3/3 HP

Forming from Nothingness and looking down upon the world from on high, Catmandu began to search through the world, looking through warm caves, finding hiding places, and finding the High Places of the world.

Looking down upon the new and wondrous creation, Catmandu found herself taken with the Verre. The way in which they lapped up their food, their brittle, yet malleable nature, and their razor claws reminded Catmandu of her own essence. Now was not the time to reforge them in her own image, however - merely turning them into her own likeness would not make them like herself. Instead, they must grow to understand and celebrate their own innate catteness.

First, they must understand how to play. A piece of perfectly formed dicestone, six sides in all, lands in front of a Verre after it is done feeding on Marblemoss. Curious, it bats at it with its razor claws, sending the dicestone careening through the fields.

Teaching how to Play: 3.

And despite expending some of her essence, the Verre continued to bat around the dicestone and found joy in such simple behavior.

Catmandu may need some assistance before the playful nature of the Verre can be teased out some more. Or at the very least, keep her from dispersing quickly.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 6, 2016

Zybourne Clock
Oct 25, 2011

Poke me.

Amyhdahl, God of Broken Promises

In those days, the land of Somewhere was still young and its inhabitants little more than unthinking beasts. When Amyhdahl coalesced from the great Nowhere, he saw the state of the land and felt a great emptiness within himself. While these creatures could walk, eat, breathe and sleep, they interacted little with each other. None of them predated on the other. None of them traded with each other. For all intents and purposes, Somewhere was in a state of perfect harmony. Boring, uneventful harmony. Amyhdahl vowed to fill this emptiness that he felt inside of him with the things he valued most: the feelings of heartbreak after sudden betrayel, the despair felt after being conned, the guilt of taking advantage of others. For he was the lord of Broken Promises, and he would be the patron of cheats, tricksters and frauds.

But from what stock would he build his chosen people? It was hardly a difficult choice: in the shade of a large pile of silver he could see a horde of Fortugnats. He could feel the radiation of their Essence; they were strongly attuned to Vice. But with their limited mental faculties, they had no real inclination to commit any great acts of vice. Amyhdahl intended to rectify this. With a boney claw he reached for one of the critters, lifted it up to his face, and breathed into it a tiny bit of his divine spark.

Almost instantly the creature began to evolve rapidly. He could feel it grow bigger, stronger and smarter by the second. Before long, the Fortugnat could ponder its own existence. As it stood before Amyhdahl's boney apparition, it stared at him quizzically.

"Fear not, creature, for your kind has earned my favor. You in particular shall be my champion, king of all Fortugnats. I shall name you Deesix". Amyhdahl reached for a nearby unsuspecting Verre and crushed the unwitting thing with his bare hands. By exerting the merest slither of his will he reshaped the broken pieces of glass into a beautiful green crown, which he placed on the Fortugnat's head.

"Go now. As you rule over your subjects, so shall your people rule over the lands of Somewhere. Conquer the land in my name and subjugate all other species. Your god commands it".

Amyhdahl raised his right arm in the air. An invisible shockwave of energy traversed through all of Somewhere. In but the shortest of moments, he had greatly raised the cunning and charisma of all Fortugnats.

(Bless Fortugnats with intelligence and charisma, 1d20=5, http://orokos.com/roll/389584)

Zybourne Clock fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Apr 6, 2016

Successful Businessmanga
Mar 28, 2010

3 HP

It would surprise very few studying the creation myths to find that the attention of Illarin was immediately drawn to the pure and simple Aqueans, Illarin delighted in their ability to move freely through his favoured element with ease, he decided to reward them in their infancy.

Setting his focus on the mass that was Somewhere, the God of Flowing water let his divine touch fall upon the land; a massive ethereal hand dipping its fingers in the waters of the Aqueau's home, and after a moment's thought Illarin begins to rake his finger across the land, new riverbeds forming under his touch and angling off into the distance.

It took but a few moments from Illarin's perspective to complete his work, but to the people of Somewhere the first of many natural disasters had struck, massive earthquakes tearing the landscape asunder. The aftermath of the terrible event revealing hidden blessings however; fresh water Trickling down each newly formed riverbed headed off to the far reaches of the land.

Adding additional rivers to increase the territory of the Aqueau: 19 (20 with a +1 from Theantero)

Whether it ends up promoting trade or war down the road I guess we'll see! All of the cultures can benefit from fresh water brought to them faster, but I'm only addressing my water babies for now :v:.

Successful Businessmanga fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Apr 6, 2016

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009

Do you like superheroes? Check out my CYOA Mutants: Uprising

How about weird historical fiction? Try Vampires of the Caribbean

+1 to Catmandu!

This wisp likes games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...We danced the Mamushka while Nero fiddled, we danced the Mamushka at Waterloo. We danced the Mamushka for Jack the Ripper, and now, Fester Addams, this Mamushka is for you....

THAT'S A HUGE ROLL! A ROLL WITH STYLE! MY KIND OF ROLL! YES!

+1 TO ILLARIN

JUST NAME THE BIGGEST RIVER AS 'CZAR RIVER' AND WE'RE EVEN!

• Locked thread