Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Donowitz
Feb 26, 2012

Man this game is cool as heck.

The Bullet King is awful though. Much harder than the Gull or the Brothers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

TacMan posted:

I'm gonna get mad for a second, why don't any of these cool games have online multiplayer?! Is it seriously that hard to get someone to figure out the networking bits?

Yes, it seriously is that hard. Internet connectivity is not something a team of purely game developers can figure out; you need people with pretty specific technological knowledge to get all that stuff to work.

Risk of Rain requires you to open your own internet port dedicated to the game and directly connect to another human being who has opened the same port via your actual IP address. There are no servers, there's no lobby mechanic, it's just connect and go. It's the most hackneyed solution to a problem that is caused by a lack of money and time, and it's a prime example of why indie games don't do online multiplayer. Simply put, it's just too difficult to be worth it unless online multiplayer is the game's main focus.

Elderbean
Jun 10, 2013

I am terrible at this game but it's a lot of fun.

Carecat
Apr 27, 2004

Buglord

Donowitz posted:

I didn't mind him too much, for me I find it like something like Brothers < Gull < King < Ammoconda/Gorgun

Carecat fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Apr 5, 2016

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Vagante has a reasonably good online multiplayer. Different genre (people commonly call it Dark Souls + Spelunky) but a great example of what a small indie team can do with a roguelike

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Sort of similarly, Spelunky HD itself has the capability for it, but requires a mod to make it actually possible.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.
Game is good. Found a couple guns/items that were references to other things. A gun that shoots bouncing, piercing sawblades that was a reference to Super Meat Boy and the "Cog of Battle" which gives you active reload ala Gears of War.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Getting to the fourth boss without any good weapons the whole run then it's the stronger red version :(

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Wow, the Fightsabre absolutely murders the Wallmonger. Got an almost effortless flawless.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

bloodychill posted:

Nuclear Throne had the same issue. I was still able to beat it on PS4 but given that this looks to be harder given more bullet hell, I'm a little worried for my DS4 controller...

you have 360 degree movement, dodging poo poo seems like it would be way easier with a control stick than with WASD

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Donowitz posted:

Wow I thought he was easier than the Gull (although the latter is the only boss I can beat without taking a hit which is reaaaally important since that's how you get more max HP). The Tank that I fought on level 3 completely ruined my poo poo though.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Trash Cannon is cool but who throws away pizza???

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Kooriken posted:

Game is good. Found a couple guns/items that were references to other things. A gun that shoots bouncing, piercing sawblades that was a reference to Super Meat Boy and the "Cog of Battle" which gives you active reload ala Gears of War.
There's also this:

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

When playing with the controller there's a degree of autoaim (which you can adjust in the options) that lets you focus on dodging instead of aiming perfectly

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Seriously everyone should read the bestiary entries and item descriptions, they're wonderful. I'm on PS4 though and I can't seem to view bestiary entries for bosses I've beaten -- is this a bug or do I have to do something besides just beat them once? (also the Crestfallen Warrior dude hanging out next to the tutorial area in the Breach will give little lore snippets about the last boss you faced if you talk to him in between runs)

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
My favorite guns so far are the Gun from The Fifth Element (it has homing bullets as soon as something hits and the last shot in a clip is a missile) and the Doom BFG (it simply insta-kills everything in the room, which is really nice).

Are we spoiling cool guns in this thread?

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
So I rescued an old blue bullet but i haven't found them anywhere. Do they do anything or did I mess up?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch

TacMan posted:

I'm gonna get mad for a second, why don't any of these cool games have online multiplayer?! Is it seriously that hard to get someone to figure out the networking bits?

As someone currently working on getting networking into a game, very much yes.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Impermanent posted:

So I rescued an old blue bullet but i haven't found them anywhere. Do they do anything or did I mess up?

That guy is one of the random merchants. After you've rescued him, he'll randomly start appearing here and there.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Where do I buy poo poo with the persistent currency that bosses drop? I assume I have to do something to make someone show up in the Breach

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost

goferchan posted:

Where do I buy poo poo with the persistent currency that bosses drop? I assume I have to do something to make someone show up in the Breach

It is through the door left of the Gungeon entrance in the hub/lobby thing

To open said door, you need to rescue the shop keeper. She appears on the third floor I think?

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
I found a "lower case r" that shot the words B U L L E T and a voice says "bullet" as the gun noise.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

When you free someone from a cell, do you have to complete that floor for it to count?

breaks
May 12, 2001

Nah they seem to be freed immediately.

Simon The Digger
Dec 23, 2010

Some Kind of Magical Idiot

IronicDongz posted:

There's also this:

I don't get it. It kind of looks like a senbei (a kind of Japanese cookie) but I don't know what that could be a reference to, nor do I recognize the name or effect.

Kooriken
Dec 27, 2012

This thread is beneath my talent, but I....shall elevate it.

Simon The Digger posted:

I don't get it. It kind of looks like a senbei (a kind of Japanese cookie) but I don't know what that could be a reference to, nor do I recognize the name or effect.

It's a reference to Nuclear throne, where the character "Melting" has the special ability to explode corpses.

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Internet Friend posted:

When playing with the controller there's a degree of autoaim (which you can adjust in the options) that lets you focus on dodging instead of aiming perfectly

Now that the game finally stopped freezing, my biggest issue is this. On my first couple runs my char would point the gun wherever i pointed with the right stick of the gamepad and either stay pointing in that direction or adjust to autoaim a mob even when I let the stick go. Now suddenly without me changing any option he always points the gun in the direction the character is running and I have to hold the right stick in the direction I want if I need to shoot at any direction that is not the one the character is running to. I'm not sure if it's a bug and if it is which situation is supposed to be the right one. Or maybe I just changed some controller config without noticing.

Anyway, this game is fun and I'm glad I have it to pass the time while recovering from extracting my wisdom teeth

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

Pigbottom posted:

Now that the game finally stopped freezing, my biggest issue is this. On my first couple runs my char would point the gun wherever i pointed with the right stick of the gamepad and either stay pointing in that direction or adjust to autoaim a mob even when I let the stick go. Now suddenly without me changing any option he always points the gun in the direction the character is running and I have to hold the right stick in the direction I want if I need to shoot at any direction that is not the one the character is running to. I'm not sure if it's a bug and if it is which situation is supposed to be the right one. Or maybe I just changed some controller config without noticing.

Anyway, this game is fun and I'm glad I have it to pass the time while recovering from extracting my wisdom teeth

I thought this was weird so I went on the Steam forum and found this is a bizarre feature:

a dev posted:

Basically what is happening is that initially the left stick would change the angle of the gun to match the character's movement, which looks better. We found however, that this would confuse people into never using the right stick to aim, which is necissary to succeed. So what we did was make the left stick not change the angle of the gun for the first few runs (coming out to a variable amount of time for diffent users). Once those runs are up though, the left stick will effect the angle of the gun, IF you are not using the right stick. With our aim assist, the guns are locking on and some people are attempting to play that way. You are supposed to be using both sticks at all times to aim and move in opposite directions. Our idea for making it less confusing seems to have made it more confusing, I apologize. All I can say is think geometery wars- thumbs on both sticks at all times.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

To get a boss flawless is it only red heart damage or does losing a shield count too?

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.

Internet Friend posted:

I thought this was weird so I went on the Steam forum and found this is a bizarre feature:

lol That's pretty bizarre indeed. Thanks for finding that out.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Coolest gun I've found so far is Eye of the Beholster, which is a hitscan weapon that summons tiny beholders that shoot poo poo for you. Completely wrecked with that thing.

parthenocarpy
Dec 18, 2003

Sultan Tarquin posted:

I found a "lower case r" that shot the words B U L L E T and a voice says "bullet" as the gun noise.

Along with the Gamma Ray it is about as useless of a weapon as you can find

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
So how do I drop weapons/items with a keyboard? My only major complaint is HOW THE gently caress IS THERE NO KEYBOARD BINDS? Like seriously, how the poo poo did they think that was a good idea?

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

orangelex44 posted:

So how do I drop weapons/items with a keyboard? My only major complaint is HOW THE gently caress IS THERE NO KEYBOARD BINDS? Like seriously, how the poo poo did they think that was a good idea?

It's the top option in the control menu.

On other notes, smoking kills.

quidditch it and quit it
Oct 11, 2012

Just got The Witch Gun with rocket and electric bullet power ups. Everyone turns into chickens you can stamp on. This game is going to ruin my whole 'working from home' plan this week.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Post poste posted:

It's the top option in the control menu.

On other notes, smoking kills.

Thanks. I was wrong, they have binds, but it's still goddamn stupid that they're not in the same place as the controller binds.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
This game is loving hard. So hard. It took me a dozen attempts to clear the second floor one time.

But it's great. :black101: It's pretty much resolved every problem I've had with Binding of Isaac.

Waffle!
Aug 6, 2004

I Feel Pretty!

A friend gifted me this today and I'm having a blast. The T-Shirt cannon is funny, and the Gungeon Ant actually has a reload strategy to it. Fire hurts though.

Moongrave
Jun 19, 2004

Finally Living Rent Free
Shadow Bullets + Whatever the gently caress gun it was that shot only one bullet before a reload but the bullet would hit then split into 5-7 pellets that homed in on targets = 10-14 homing bullets per shot.

Pretty gud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The first secret level kicked my rear end super hard holy poo poo :supaburn: