Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

hooah posted:

How real-life dangerous is this vulnerability due to the way Firefox's extensions aren't sandboxed (Ars article) for people who don't just install every add-on they find?
Not at all, since you have to install a malicious extension.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

hooah posted:

How real-life dangerous is this vulnerability due to the way Firefox's extensions aren't sandboxed (Ars article) for people who don't just install every add-on they find?
not hugely dangerous, but these are the new lines of attack that are gonna be employed in the signed addon world. practice safe browsing and things haven't really changed.

Alereon posted:

Not at all, since you have to install a malicious extension.
The more likely attack is where some site or malvertising tries to get you to install the bad addon via the usual click here tricks, or even silently installs the (signed!) baddon using a second exploit. Also there's the continuing possibility of trusted addons going bad or being suborned.

Who could have predicted this coming?!?

Klyith fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

hooah posted:

Extensions are executable code so you should only install ones that you trust from a trusted source. The technique in the article is really just obfuscation that might make it easier to fool reviewers. The proof of concept that got signed was just an extension that opened a website, so it doesn't seem that scary.

break-up breakdown
Mar 6, 2010

i'm having a really loving weird problem with youtube all of a sudden. every video I watch gets played multiple times, layering over and over into some terrifying mess. Disabling all the regular problem addons isn't fixing it. Has anybody else experienced this?

Fangs404
Dec 20, 2004

I time bomb.

sick trigger posted:

i'm having a really loving weird problem with youtube all of a sudden. every video I watch gets played multiple times, layering over and over into some terrifying mess. Disabling all the regular problem addons isn't fixing it. Has anybody else experienced this?

What about disabling all extensions? Did you walk through the steps in the OP?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Have they made a public release with the fix for GIFs yet?

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Kheldarn posted:

Have they made a public release with the fix for GIFs yet?

All releases including nightlies are public. However, I assume you mean, "Has the fix hit the Release Channel yet?" The answer is no (it is a part of Firefox 47).

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Avenging Dentist posted:

All releases including nightlies are public. However, I assume you mean, "Has the fix hit the Release Channel yet?" The answer is no (it is a part of Firefox 47).

Thank you. And I knew I was gonna word that bad. Sorry.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
So I upgraded from a GTX 970 to a GTX 980 Ti and fullscreen Youtube in Firefox became unwatchtable (15fps or so, regardless of settings, UI was unresponsive). Disabling addons and hardware acceleration did nothing to fix it.

Turns out Firefox caches a bunch of settings inside about:config under gfx, but it's not smart enough to realize that the video card has changed. Resetting those settings fixed it, but it took me a long time to figure that out. Building a device specific cache and then not invalidating it when that device changes is a loving awful idea.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

According to this, the recursion issue that was keeping Vines from playing was fixed in a nightly build on 3/19 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247496

Any idea when we might expect this fix in a public release? Because it's still busted for me in x64 45.0.1 :\

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

Gerudo Rivera posted:

According to this, the recursion issue that was keeping Vines from playing was fixed in a nightly build on 3/19 https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1247496

Any idea when we might expect this fix in a public release? Because it's still busted for me in x64 45.0.1 :\

If it is fixed in the current Nightly (Firefox 48) and isn't backported to an earlier branch, then you are looking at August 1st.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gerudo Rivera posted:

The issue was fixed in https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1257234

It should be fixed in Firefox 46. You can look under Tracking Flags where it says "status-firefox46: fixed". It was uplifted to Beta in comment 25.

Gerudo Rivera
Jan 22, 2005

Thanks! Glad to hear it should be gone in the next release. Hope it drops soon.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Desuwa posted:

Turns out Firefox caches a bunch of settings inside about :config under gfx, but it's not smart enough to realize that the video card has changed. Resetting those settings fixed it, but it took me a long time to figure that out. Building a device specific cache and then not invalidating it when that device changes is a loving awful idea.

What was the location where this info is stored?

At work we've had quite a bit of problem with Firefox's hardware acceleration and it might have something to with this and our roaming profile setup. User starts Firefox on one computer, stores the GPU settings and later logs in on another computer with different hardware but has the same Firefox profile.

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Saukkis posted:

What was the location where this info is stored?

At work we've had quite a bit of problem with Firefox's hardware acceleration and it might have something to with this and our roaming profile setup. User starts Firefox on one computer, stores the GPU settings and later logs in on another computer with different hardware but has the same Firefox profile.

I went into about :config, searched for gfx, reset everything that had been changed, then restarted Firefox. I imagine that will be fine, probably you'll want to backup your profile before doing it just in case.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

:toot: Google's Widevine EME Content Decryption Module is slated for Firefox 47.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

astral posted:

:toot: Google's Widevine EME Content Decryption Module is slated for Firefox 47.

Explain this for the layperson please.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Explain this for the layperson please.

Firefox will be able to watch more DRM-protected videos without requiring full plugins (like Flash). Content providers' restrictions on resolutions/bitrates available to Firefox due to lack of supported DRM ought to relax, too.

I can't find a good current list of content providers that use Widevine but at least in the past the list seems to have included:
  • Netflix
  • Vudu
  • Blockbuster
  • Amazon Prime
  • Showtime Anytime

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
American or some other airline offered free inflight movies but required that plugin. I got bored enough that I'd install a weird DRM goop onto my laptop. It didn't work and I sat there in silence unsurprised another piece of google software was hot garbage. That's my Widevine story thank you.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

astral posted:

Firefox will be able to watch more DRM-protected videos without requiring full plugins (like Flash).

Then what good is that "Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated" that Firefox installs automatically?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

From Mozilla's blog:

quote:

As we previously announced, Mozilla has been working to enable playback of HTML5 video content that requires DRM. Last year, we launched with Adobe’s Primetime CDM and now we will soon be testing Firefox support for Google’s Widevine CDM on Windows and Mac OS X. Firefox will download the CDM shortly after users first run Firefox after installing or upgrading. The CDM will be activated when users first interact with a site that uses Widevine.

Widevine support is an alternative solution for streaming services that currently rely on Silverlight for playback of DRM-protected video content. It will allow websites to show DRM-protected video content in Firefox without the use of NPAPI plugins. This is an important step on Mozilla’s roadmap to remove NPAPI plugin support.

The Widevine CDM runs in an open-source CDM sandbox in Firefox, providing better user security than NPAPI plugins.

Geemer posted:

Then what good is that "Primetime Content Decryption Module provided by Adobe Systems, Incorporated" that Firefox installs automatically?

That's for Adobe's Primetime DRM. Many content providers are using that already - Netflix's HTML5 player on Firefox is protected by that, for example.

Other DRM schemes are out there like Microsoft's PlayReady and Apple's FairPlay, but I think it's unlikely we'd see those come to Firefox.

astral fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Apr 13, 2016

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I got really frustrated with uBlock Origin and an html5 video last night because I couldn't block the video from playing, kinda. It was just some random video in the sidebar of a website I don't even remember anymore, completely not related to the actual content but it just decided to start playing. I was able to block the actual video from showing up, hell the entire div container even, but the audio kept playing every time I refreshed even when the entire video player was blocked. So god drat loving annoying.

So I disabled uBlock Origin and gave uMatrix another shot. The first time I tried this plugin I thought it was too confusing but now that I've spent some time with it it's not so bad. I wish there was a way to see what is requesting something though so I can better decide if I want to allow it or not. Right now I have everything except 1st party css and images blocked, and I've allowed some global things like imgur and webfont websites. For the sites I use every day I've spent some time tweaking the matrix to get proper functionality back. Hasn't taken too much work actually.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 14, 2016

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

astral posted:

From Mozilla's blog:

That's for Adobe's Primetime DRM. Many content providers are using that already - Netflix's HTML5 player on Firefox is protected by that, for example.

Other DRM schemes are out there like Microsoft's PlayReady and Apple's FairPlay, but I think it's unlikely we'd see those come to Firefox.

What's even the point of an HTML5 EME standard if everyone's married to their own different flavor of it?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Sir Unimaginative posted:

What's even the point of an HTML5 EME standard if everyone's married to their own different flavor of it?

Think of EME as a more focused and restricted plugin API than the old NPAPI used by Flash, Silverlight, etc. It's there for one very specific purpose - to allow third-party content decryption modules (CDMs) to decode protected media. The big bonus is EME doesn't give them anywhere near the same level of privileges previously available to flash/silverlight, so you can enjoy DRM-protected content without also enjoying the ludicrous number of exploits etc.

Lord Superchrome
Aug 8, 2012
Is there an extension (or a planned feature) that would copy Chrome's behavior when using the scrollbar on an "infinite scrolling" page like Twitter? I may be one of 10 surviving people who click and drag the scrollbar to move down a page, but the ten of us hate it when the page jumps all over the place as new content gets appended to the DOM.

Searching Mozilla's bug tracker/forums doesn't yield much about this, but it does sound like they're planning an overhaul of their scrolling code, at least for performance.

Does anyone else even know what I'm talking about? :blush:

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Flipperwaldt posted:

You're supposed to ctrl+click on one of the suggested alternative rules below the text field. Specifically the one that concerns the featuredimage block. edit: all this in the element picker, so use that instead of the right click, block element thing. sorry that ends up being the same thing

But just add this rule manually:

notalwaysright.com##.featuredimage

While this works fine on my laptop (and I think my lab computer, not sure off the top of my head), it definitely isn't working on my home desktop, even after exporting the filters from my laptop and importing them to my desktop. Why the heck is that?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I'm having an issue with Firefox security. Some sites (notably DriveThruRPG's login page) just refuse to load and Firefox complains about the secure connection failing. A friend suggested I check out Runescape Chronicle (some card game) and that site doesn't load, either. Those are the only two offhand, but I get it for other sites occasionally.

I'm running 45.0.2 with very few plugins, since it's a fresh install after a Windows 10 upgrade. Nothing that interacts with page content besides uBlock Origin. I'm just using Windows Defender for AV and, as implied, a clean install of Windows didn't help the issue. All this stuff works fine in Chrome, so I'm reasonably sure it's Firefox. Any thoughts? Googling has been entirely unhelpful.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

I'm having an issue with Firefox security. Some sites (notably DriveThruRPG's login page) just refuse to load and Firefox complains about the secure connection failing. A friend suggested I check out Runescape Chronicle (some card game) and that site doesn't load, either. Those are the only two offhand, but I get it for other sites occasionally.

I'm running 45.0.2 with very few plugins, since it's a fresh install after a Windows 10 upgrade. Nothing that interacts with page content besides uBlock Origin. I'm just using Windows Defender for AV and, as implied, a clean install of Windows didn't help the issue. All this stuff works fine in Chrome, so I'm reasonably sure it's Firefox. Any thoughts? Googling has been entirely unhelpful.

Please post the error message you're getting.

Are your time and date set correctly? Though I imagine that would break it on Chrome, too.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

astral posted:

Please post the error message you're getting.

Are your time and date set correctly? Though I imagine that would break it on Chrome, too.

Yeah, time and date's correct, that was one of the things I saw as a potential issue. I just tried it on someone else's computer and it works fine, so I guess it's something to do with my machine.

Here's what I get on rschronicle, it's the same on DriveThru. Doesn't even give me the option to inspect the certificate.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Yeah, time and date's correct, that was one of the things I saw as a potential issue. I just tried it on someone else's computer and it works fine, so I guess it's something to do with my machine.

Here's what I get on rschronicle, it's the same on DriveThru. Doesn't even give me the option to inspect the certificate.

You can inspect the certificate by visiting:
code:
chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.xul 
and pasting in the URL that isn't working: https://www.rschronicle.com/

Please post a screenshot of the certificate viewer window's general tab. :)

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

astral posted:

You can inspect the certificate by visiting:
code:
chrome://pippki/content/exceptionDialog.xul 
and pasting in the URL that isn't working: https://www.rschronicle.com/

Please post a screenshot of the certificate viewer window's general tab. :)

Nothing comes up. It won't even pull the cert to complain about it. Really strange. I appreciate the help looking into this, by the way.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Nothing comes up. It won't even pull the cert to complain about it. Really strange. I appreciate the help looking into this, by the way.

Interesting. Can you see if you have a non-default (the default is 3) setting in about :config for security.tls.version.max?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

astral posted:

Interesting. Can you see if you have a non-default (the default is 3) setting in about :config for security.tls.version.max?

Looks like it was set to 1. I reset it and now it looks like stuff's working. I have no idea why it would have been set like that, I certainly don't remember doing it. Thanks!

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

Echophonic posted:

Have you tried using Google's DNS servers (8.8.8.8 and 8.8.4.4) and flushing your DNS cache? Probably won't make a difference but it's worth a shot.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Echophonic posted:

Looks like it was set to 1. I reset it and now it looks like stuff's working. I have no idea why it would have been set like that, I certainly don't remember doing it. Thanks!

Great! Since you aren't sure about why that happened, it might also be worth a moment to check https://www.howsmyssl.com/ (which I just learned about, else I'd have suggested it sooner) and see if it has any complaints.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

astral posted:

Great! Since you aren't sure about why that happened, it might also be worth a moment to check https://www.howsmyssl.com/ (which I just learned about, else I'd have suggested it sooner) and see if it has any complaints.
That's cool, thanks. But it seems kind of weird "Probably okay" is the best result. That seems kind of... unsatisfying.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Is there any way to make Firefox Sync "everything"?

It seems like addon settings and about:config options don't carry across.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
In Preferences --> Applications, I can set mailto links default to gmail.com or yahoo.com. I use the Outlook Web App for my work email (Exchange). Is it possible to set mailto links open up a OWA page to send emails?

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

astral posted:

Knormal posted:

That's cool, thanks. But it seems kind of weird "Probably okay" is the best result. That seems kind of... unsatisfying.

Yeah, good idea. Gave it a shot, it said everything was probably okay, which I'm sure is as highly scientific as it gets for computer security.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
FF46 out