Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Adiabatic posted:

I've met a bunch of goons and they're mostly well-adjusted.

Apparently you were in Detroit recently and I was out of town, otherwise you could have seen REALLY WELL ADJUSTED IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN HEH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Well it's getting warm again and I borrowed my friend's nice trolley jack so I basically have no excuse anymore, gotta fix the Midget

It drives fine and all, it's just that sometimes if I take my foot off the gas suddenly or put in the clutch, I'll hear a noise that I'd describe as "CLOCK" from what I think is the rear. Sounds kinda like two pieces of wood being smacked together, a sort of hollowish thump/clonk. Doesn't seem to affect how it drives or anything, but I hate mystery sounds.

I've got the fucker up on jacks and there just isn't anything back there really... axle & rear diff, drum brakes, armstrong lever shocks, leaf springs. Maybe a bad u-joint?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

There. If only to shut everybody up.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Bought a set of tires (made within the last decade! 2012 date code and what looks like full tread) mounted on factory steelies for $140 :toot:

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Adiabatic posted:

AI ones usually are.

Hoooly poo poo there's some goons with real issues otherwise.

clam ache
Sep 6, 2009
There is maybe five or more AI goons around the chicagoland area and I've only met one non AI goon who wears pajama pants and yurns for the feeling of taking a curve at 80mph.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I've met SuperDucky, and the guy in Colorado with the Jurassic Park jeep.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

AI ones usually are.

makin me real self conscious here guy

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Never met anyone from AI, though I think Motronic is more or less around the corner.

I do regular outings with the Southeast PA TFR group though. Pretty sure at this point we're an eating club with a gun problem.

The Royal Nonesuch
Nov 1, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

I went four-wheeling with Krakkles, Tuna, Kastevich, Astonishing Wang and BoostCreep. Astonishing Wang drugged me and I woke up in a mud pit fingering encrusted spark plugs out of a 4.0 I6 while it cranked hard to eject every last drop of filthy water from it's worn cylinders. A long strap was involved.

A+ would meet AI goons again.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think there's any AI goons in my neck of the woods (Lower Alabama / Mobile / Eastern Shore)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Tide posted:

I don't think there's any AI goons in my neck of the woods (Lower Alabama / Mobile / Eastern Shore)

Oh man, I was down there for vacation last year, should've asked if there was any goons around.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The girlfriend brought me wings and I ate all 18 of them and now I feel gross.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Tide posted:

I'll be vacationing with the girlfriend and some friends on Dauphin Island in may.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

Rhyno posted:

The girlfriend brought me wings and I ate all 18 of them and now I feel gross.

That's normally how that works.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

WHICH REMINDS ME:
My friend just impulse bought a 1998 Ford E150 conversion van. 5.4L mod motor, automatic transmission. (4 speed AOD?) and is wondering what to look out for.

The van is approaching 160K, has a check engine light on for a bad cat, but otherwise seems very well taken care of. Another mutual friend of ours is a mod motor whisperer so he's not too worried there, just about transmission/chassis bits he needs to watch.

His plan is to turn it into an awesome camping van and to take it down the the Alabama coast this May.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

SouthsideSaint posted:

There is maybe five or more AI goons around the chicagoland area and I've only met one non AI goon who wears pajama pants and yurns for the feeling of taking a curve at 80mph.

Yeah, there's a few of us kicking around. Some dude in Zion too that I've seen post once I think. I'm way up north by the Lake and McHenry county border and about 15 minutes from WI.

SuperDucky
May 13, 2007

by exmarx
Commie is good people and he probably kept me from probably burning down my RV because I was beyond hammered and his insane sober rear end kept my stupid rear end drunker friends from doing something stupid. Local goon meeting is a good thing imo

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I went on the bay area goon drive a year or so ago when 14 inch was in town; met and hung out with him, nm, steak flavored gum, dema, das volk... am I forgetting anyone?

That was fun, and I'd totally be down for another one.

literally a fish
Oct 2, 2014

German officer Johannes Bolter peeks out the hatch of his Tiger I heavy tank during a quiet moment before the Battle of Kursk - c:1943 (colorized)
Slippery Tilde
I only know of like three or four Aussie AI goons and I only know of one in the same city as me (unless you count my brother, which I don't, because he hasn't posted since October, and doesn't post in AI...)

Man the weather here is fuckin' garbage today. 26C and sunny yesterday, 12C and bucketing down rain today. BRING BACK MY WARMS :arghfist:

it would also be super nice if the tuner could finish up and give me back my subaru

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I'm going to find a way back to straya

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Tusen Takk posted:

I'm going to find a way back to straya

Already sent a warning to BORDER FORCE about you :D

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I think I've met 5 goons now? I've even handled goon pussy :catstare: (and continue to handle said pussy every day)

edit: huh... a cousin is looking for names for a dog she's adopting. One of the suggested names? Bucephalus. :stonkhat:

Previa_fun posted:

My friend just impulse bought a 1998 Ford E150 conversion van. 5.4L mod motor, automatic transmission. (4 speed AOD?) and is wondering what to look out for.

Most likely a 4R70W. Spark plugs are the main thing with that engine, but you probably knew that. As far as the chassis, most of it dates back to the mid 1970s. Not much to really go wrong on them.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Apr 6, 2016

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Its a bit old to be a 3 valve which are the biggest offenders with the spark plug issue.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

literally a fish posted:

I only know of like three or four Aussie AI goons and I only know of one in the same city as me (unless you count my brother, which I don't, because he hasn't posted since October, and doesn't post in AI...)

Man the weather here is fuckin' garbage today. 26C and sunny yesterday, 12C and bucketing down rain today. BRING BACK MY WARMS :arghfist:

it would also be super nice if the tuner could finish up and give me back my subaru

We had a okay group of Sydney AI Goons when I was rally driving int he welsh countryside every weekend. One of them was even my co-driver, honestly the best crew ever.

Met a few in the USA (Redscare was a nut, DJCommie coolest. Dude. Ever) and another one or two as they pass through Sydney.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I once ran into a couple of dudes hiking to a campground. We decided to share a camping space and hang out. I saw one of them posting on SomethingAwful on his Blackberry; turns out they were the only two to show up to a local goonmeet.

Also the park ranger nearly kicked us out because they had liquor in their car in a North Carolina State Park. Still, 8/10 would hang out with randos again.

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004

The Royal Nonesuch posted:

I went four-wheeling with Krakkles, Tuna, Kastevich, Astonishing Wang and BoostCreep. Astonishing Wang drugged me and I woke up in a mud pit fingering encrusted spark plugs out of a 4.0 I6 while it cranked hard to eject every last drop of filthy water from it's worn cylinders. A long strap was involved.

A+ would meet AI goons again.

You're getting me excited for a reunion!

E: if anyone wants to buy the LJ with said encrusted motor, it's available for around $23k!

Astonishing Wang fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Apr 6, 2016

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Darchangel posted:

This is like the one positive thing about working for an outsourcer. In theory, you're an interchangeable peg and any one of the other engineers can do your job. In practice, at my location, not so much, but enough to make vacations real. The other guys can keep the bulk of it at bay. I'm also not management, which helps.

Yeah, it was that way at my work until I let myself get talked into taking a lead position, and now I'm on the short list that causes the supervisor to panic when I request a day off. :smith:

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah going on vacation can be difficult if you're at a small organization and have a unique skill set. Seems like I spend lots of time getting everything ready for my absence.

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
I figure there's a lot of sci-fi nerds itt so I'll ask this question here. Having just read Dune, are any of the other books in the series worth reading?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Speaking of local goonery, if any of you goobers from around the midlands here in the sunny old UK have an old car (pre 01/01/96) want to take part in this year's Motofest in Coventry I found this sneaky page on the Transport museum's site:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1PgC7-FMMNdu4nkL-zxwSXVYXMNn0uzBS1PxnG3jZHZY/viewform?edit_requested=true

The registration form on the Motofest site itself doesn't open for another 10 days so I might jump in here and see what happens.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

corn in the fridge posted:

I figure there's a lot of sci-fi nerds itt so I'll ask this question here. Having just read Dune, are any of the other books in the series worth reading?

Yes, they're all worth it for the story that it leads up to but some of them aren't as well written and a lot of times he just goes nuts with some of the psychedelic poo poo

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

That being said I started playing WoW this month because I liked ~*The Lore*~ after playing Hearthstone so take my opinion with a little bit extra salt

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tusen Takk posted:

That being said I started playing WoW this month because I liked ~*The Lore*~ after playing Hearthstone so take my opinion with a little bit extra salt

quit now before its too late

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

How long we betting on it taking TT to start poopsocking?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Adiabatic posted:

You haven't met 14" or I :P

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

88h88 posted:

How long we betting on it taking TT to start poopsocking?

I never did it in eve so I think we're clear :v:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

corn in the fridge posted:

Depends on your tolerance for incest and psychedelics. Just avoid the poo poo that got published after Herbert died. The quality dives. A lot.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Honestly read:
Dune
Dune Messiah
Children of Dune
God Emperor Dune
Heretics of Dune

The sixth book is bad and weird, and heretics of dune is imo as good as the first one but you won't have any idea what's going on unless you read the others

Each book is only like 200-300 pages though so that's like a day and a half each, I think I read them in a few four hour late night reading sessions over the course of a week

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Meh, I think I'll give it a pass for now. Tbh I wasnt too invested in the characters or the setting but I enjoyed it as a simple adventure story that could be taken at face value.

I find a lot of earlier sci-fi stuff suffers when it's used only as a vehicle for social commentary and it makes for laborious reading, so it was refreshing that dune wasnt like that, or rather if it was it could be largely ignored

• Locked thread