Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

You're AF? I think they're the only people that don't actively hate their time in TX. The Army isn't allowed to drink, and the Marine detachment is an absolute nightmare of a unit. Like they warn us about how awful it is when we leave Monterey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl

Internet Wizard posted:

You're AF? I think they're the only people that don't actively hate their time in TX. The Army isn't allowed to drink, and the Marine detachment is an absolute nightmare of a unit. Like they warn us about how awful it is when we leave Monterey.

Yeah, though I've been told that it's still pretty crappy on the AF side as well, just not as bad.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Other than the terrible triple bunking situations, all the guys I know who are at Goodfellow say its not completely terrible, so I have something to almost look forward to when I finally get out of this place in August. Gonna miss having only one roommate I can completely ignore

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Enjoy living in a building that isn't condemned.

You can go to the arts and crafts building and make a mug for like $20 that will let you drink at the EC for super cheap.

The main gym is really nice, better than the PFC. Other than the no outside lifting space, kinda missed that. I never used the smaller one.

The chow hall lets you take food out which is convenient. They were doing renovations on one of the two chowhalls, which was inconvenient. No idea what the status of it is now but I doubt they're back to having two open. The quality of the food is better than at DLI, hands down.

There's a private gun range just outside of town that's really nice if you like shooting and have a way to keep a gun in the area. There's an on-base armory but they're kind of a pain to deal with from what I've heard.

The base library is nice. There's a language library with books and movies in all sorts of languages that's in a separate building by the SCIFs.

You can do MCMAP with the Marines 11ish to 13ish most days if you want to, you guys are authorized to wear any belt you earn with your cammies. Tan belt sucks and is boring, and most of grey is the same, but it gets pretty fun, and punching and throwing people is a good way to blow off steam during the day. The green belt I'm wearing right now was given to me by an AF LT who ended up earning his black belt while there. I think you guys have to get some risk waivers signed by your chain of command, though.

Seriously though get out of San Angelo as often as possible. There's not much to recommend about that place.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Thanks for the writeup, man. I'll look into this stuff.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Goodfellow was a total hellhole while I was there. 24/7 marching, not allowed to carry anything, the whole squadron marching to class in formation, that kinda stuff. The dorms were super filthy too but the old ones got closed down, and they fixed the stupid rules a couple months after I left.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Is it worth it to drive down to Texas, and how is the military going to gently caress me over if I do that instead of just flying like a normal person?

TK_421
Aug 26, 2005

I find your lack of faith disturbing.

Don Gato posted:

Is it worth it to drive down to Texas, and how is the military going to gently caress me over if I do that instead of just flying like a normal person?

I drove to Huachuca and it's a good deal. The mileage on your car let's you earn bank, and I think I was given 5 days to make it there. I drove to Phoenix in one day (my hometown) and hung out for four days drinking with my friends. Do it just to get on touch with your civilian side for a few days.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Don Gato posted:

It's what I did. Super easy cause I was driving a Suburban, lived in the dorms at DLI so I just loaded everything up and hit the road without having to worry about TMO loving my poo poo up. I even got extra money in advance for gas and lodging from my DLI unit's CSS, or you can talk to TMO but you have to weigh your car both empty and loaded and I think you don't get the money til afterwards. Might be more money than CSS depending on what car you drive but I'd avoid it. I took I-20 most of the way and basically just back roads after Albuquerque, just cause I-10 would take me too close to Mexico.

Don't know about other services, but for Air Force it means fliers will be on casuals before class for a few more days than you. I was only on casuals for just a few days cause I wasn't rolled back at DLI so I had a Goodfellow class waiting for me when I got there.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Apr 6, 2016

moodyhank31
Aug 29, 2012

Don Gato posted:

Do it. Make sure you get your weigh tickets and all that. It's worth it.

My travel pay for my drive to GAFB and then PCS to Germany was around 2500. I'm a single soldier.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Driving from Goodfellow to 29 ended up getting me something like $1000 so I'd definitely recommend it if you don't mind driving.

Just be warned, West Texas is an empty wasteland. You ever seen No Country For Old Men? That's West Texas.

HellishWhiskers
Mar 29, 2012

She was an awkward girl
Just to double check - since I'm driving to Texas, do I have to do the weight checking on the day I actually leave or can it be before? Also looking for car scales is a total pain in the rear end, I've yet to find one that's open.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Call around to local truck stops, if its a military town they've probably done it before.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

Ask TMO, they should be able to give you a pamphlet or something if they don't have scales there. I know Goodfellow does for when you get there. You could just do your loaded weight in TX, then unload your car, and do your unloaded weight.

somewhatpathetic
Oct 21, 2012
My buddies and I went to the land fill out near Ord and use their scales before we left, just unloaded one dude at a time. Also, you can get a junk yard taco at the scales, so there's that.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

somewhatpathetic posted:

Also, you can get a junk yard taco at the scales, so there's that.
I went there once to drop off some junk and holy :gonk: hell no

Bright Eyes
Sep 5, 2011
From Michael Hayden's memoir:

quote:

[Referring to linguists] Special people. And rare. One day I was returning from a meeting at Langley and my security detail looked a little impatient, as they had to wait for a stream of pedestrian traffic flowing outward from the NSA headquarters building. As they inched the SUV forward, I only half in jest cautioned, “Be careful. They could be linguists.”

OmNom
Dec 31, 2003

I make a damn tasty cookie. https://bit.ly/rgjqfw
I'm a civilian who applied for an 1811 position and took the DLPT as part of the process. I received a 3/3/2 (reading/listening/speaking) for Spanish; unfortunately I need further qualifications to move forward in the application process. Now that I have taken the test and have the scores what can I do with it in regards to federal employment?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

OmNom posted:

I'm a civilian who applied for an 1811 position and took the DLPT as part of the process. I received a 3/3/2 (reading/listening/speaking) for Spanish; unfortunately I need further qualifications to move forward in the application process. Now that I have taken the test and have the scores what can I do with it in regards to federal employment?

List it as a bullet point on your application. If you have a clearance, do the same thing but put your resume on clearancejobs.

Spanish linguists are a dime a dozen right now unfortunately, so I'm not sure how much it'll help you overall.

• Locked thread