Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Allons! Some help is in order for these heathen rebels, but not too much till they've proven their worth.

((A bit late to the party, but I was going to suggest 2 resources as well, giving them a whopping 3 and letting us keep a worthy reserve.))

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Tias posted:

Allons! Some help is in order for these heathen rebels, but not too much till they've proven their worth.

((A bit late to the party, but I was going to suggest 2 resources as well, giving them a whopping 3 and letting us keep a worthy reserve.))

Agreed, we need to save some in order to replenish our wine cellars after the party season is over.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Keep in mind that they've pushed us over our half way point to getting French boots on the ground. We should keep our eyes on the bank, but be free and willing with our friendly American brethren.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Humm, well, I like a good war though, don't you. The Spanish just aren't sporting

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Well, with the Seven Years' War just finished, I feel it would deal a huge blow to the British to wipe out their largest colonial holding. Considering their colonials seem to hate them as much as we do, it would make sense to keep the coffers open.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Patriots take the event! Claude Louis, Comte de Saint-Germain, modernizes the French army!

5 (!) French Regulars are moved to Available!
French Prep increases to 8!

A new card is drawn!

Current Card:

Prime Minister of Great Britain and Whig statesman known for his popular appeal, his opposition to corruption in government, and his support for the colonial position in the run-up to the American Revolution.

Upcoming Card:

For the Patriots, the American Revolution was essentially two parallel wars: while the war in the East was a struggle against British rule, the war in the West was an "Indian War". The newly-proclaimed United States competed with the British for control of the territory of Native American nations east of the Mississippi River.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Me: Take British and Indian turns (coming soon!)

Also, really digging the banter in this thread. Thanks goons :allears:

Tias
May 25, 2008

I know we needed to modernize the army, but preussian ideals? The very thought..

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Those Indians are going to be building villages in our rightful territory. We need to worry about building our own army. We need militia to spread our message of the "people" and fend off raiding warbands!

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British colonial government ignores Pitt's warning: America can be conquered!

The British take the event!
The British response dismays the colonists in Massachusetts and increases British support in New York Colony!
Massachusetts moves from Active Opposition to Neutral! (Opposition -2*2). Opposition is now 0.
New York Colony moves to Passive Support (Support +2). Support is now 5.

The Indians, sensing that their time will soon be on hand, decide to pass.
NB: The Indian bot would not normally do this, but the next event is clearly superior to anything the Indians could do now, so they are passing.

Indian resources increase by 1, now 1.

The turn is finished. A new card is drawn!

Current card:

For the Patriots, the American Revolution was essentially two parallel wars: while the war in the East was a struggle against British rule, the war in the West was an "Indian War". The newly-proclaimed United States competed with the British for control of the territory of Native American nations east of the Mississippi River.

Upcoming card:

The Declaration of Independence was accepted by one-third of the population while one-third was against it, and one-third was neutral. Thousands of Patriots gathered and destroyed the signs and symbols that represented the British Crown. Rioters destroyed a statue of King George III in New York.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Me: Take Indian turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Indians take the event! Rebellion outposts along the frontier are ravaged, and the Indians resettle some of their rightful territory.

The Indians build one village and place two war parties in the Northwest Territory!

ACTION QUEUE ==>

French: Command (with Special Activity?), or Pass?

Tias
May 25, 2008

I would advise daring, mes amis!

Agent Mobilization + Préparer le Guerre

..Placing 1 Continental unit in Massachussets New York to counteract increased British presence, and add 2 resources to the French. because we're worth it.

E: VVV Hurf durf, I suppose so #whatcheek VVV

Tias fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Apr 5, 2016

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
Our French friends, might we suggest placing your agents in New York? We can strike fast with Partisans, causing great casualties and bringing you closer to entering the war!

Caedar fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Apr 5, 2016

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I agree, let's put those boots down in New Amsterdam, then tax our filthy peasants to prepare for war.

Dr. Lunchables fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Apr 6, 2016

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

I agree, let's put those boots down in New Amsterdam, then tax our filthy peasants to prepare for war.

Sounds good to me.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Cool, a quorum right before I go to bed!

Military advisors are sent to aid the Patriot rebels! The French conduct a Command/Special Activity: Agent Mobilization and Préparer le Guerre!

French spend 1 resource; now 2.
1 Continental is added to New York Colony.
Préparer le Guerre adds 2 resources for the French; now 4.

Current Card:

The Declaration of Independence was accepted by one-third of the population while one-third was against it, and one-third was neutral. Thousands of Patriots gathered and destroyed the signs and symbols that represented the British Crown. Rioters destroyed a statue of King George III in New York.

Upcoming Card:

An elite light infantry unit commanded by General Daniel Morgan equipped with cutting edge rifles rather than muskets allowing accuracy many time greater than traditional infantry. British soldiers soon came to fear these prowling hunters who could kill from afar.

==> ACTION QUEUE:

Patriots Choose:
  • Command Only, No Special Activity
  • Command and Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
Huh. Are we ready for battle in New York or do we want the Declaration of Independence event?

Caedar
Dec 28, 2004

Will do there, buddy.
We probably want Declaration. We're only in a good position to harass the Brits in NYC, not battle them straight up. I'd suggest using Declaration to place a militia in NY (buffs Partisans even harder :getin:), Quebec City, and NYC.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Such ideas in the peasantry are unbecoming, but I suppose not seizing the opportunity could hurt the grander scheme. Declaration it is!

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
If brings us closer to shooting, declare yourself free

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Caedar posted:

We probably want Declaration. We're only in a good position to harass the Brits in NYC, not battle them straight up. I'd suggest using Declaration to place a militia in NY (buffs Partisans even harder :getin:), Quebec City, and NYC.

I agree with this.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
I think one of our declaration militia needs to go into Maryland-Delaware. We will need it there to form a committee of correspondence when winter hits. Leave Quebec City for the Frenchmen.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Actually, after reflection, I've decided that Quebec City would just be starting a skirmish we don't need right now. We need to build up our forces first. But I would say New Hampshire. Puts the pressure on the Brits, but doesn't put us immediately into a conflict.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I'll resolve when there's a consensus on the last militia going to Maryland-Delaware or New Hampshire.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
I'm inclined to agree with Maryland-Delaware. No knock against New Hampshire but it's kinda surrounded right now, and that French symbol on top means that the French can take care of it next move, right?

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Where do you guys want the fort?

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Either Mass or NY since it would be the most protected in those colonies. Wouldn't do to have the Indians raid a newly built fort

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I'd say getting more of a foothold in Mass is worthwhile, we already have a fort in NY.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

I'd say getting more of a foothold in Mass is worthwhile, we already have a fort in NY.

I thought our fort was already in Massachusetts?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Whoops! Brain fart. New York it is!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

COOL CORN posted:

Whoops! Brain fart. New York it is!

Works for me.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The Continental Congress resolves that America will be free! The Patriots take the Declaration of Independence Event!

Patriots place one Militia each in New York Colony, New York City, and Maryland-Delaware.
Each of those provinces gets a Propaganda marker:

Patrick Henry spreads propaganda in New York Colony.
Joseph Warren spreads propaganda in New York City.
John Hancock spreads propaganda in Maryland-Delaware.

Patriots build a Fort in New York Colony.

New York Colony shifts to Uncontrolled!
New York City shifts to Uncontrolled!
Maryland-Delaware shifts to Patriot control!

Indians and French are Ineligible, so turn passes to the British.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

Me: Take the British turn.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

The British are alarmed by the colonist's impudence! The British Muster their forces!

Six British Regulars and one Tory are dispatched to New York City.
Two Tories are dispatched to Boston.
Two Tories are dispatched to New York Colony.
Two Tories are dispatched to Connecticut-Rhode Island.

British spend four resources; now 3.

New York City is now controlled by the British!
New York Colony is now controlled by the British!
Connecticut-Rhode Island is now controlled by the British!

The British build a Fort in New York Colony. Two Tories and one Regular are removed.

New York Colony is now Uncontrolled!

The British execute Naval Pressure on the rebels!

British resources are increased by 3; now 6.

The turn is finished, and a new card is drawn.

Current Card:

An elite light infantry unit commanded by General Daniel Morgan equipped with cutting edge rifles rather than muskets allowing accuracy many time greater than traditional infantry. British soldiers soon came to fear these prowling hunters who could kill from afar.

Upcoming Card:

Frustrated by pressure of American settlers, Warriors lashed out on several occasions during the Revolution.

ACTION QUEUE ==>

French choose:
  • Command, no Special Activity
  • Command and Special Activity
  • Event
  • Pass
Also, I never really said it before it, but one "choice" for Eligible factions is to use your Brilliant Stroke card if you meet the conditions, though that's not possible for the French here since the ToA hasn't been played yet. I just wanted to put it out there, so assume that that's always an option when you're eligible on a new card that's just been played, and it's a good way to "cancel out" bad cards, especially if another good one is coming up.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Humm, I suppose we could muster this Morgan and his men to our advantage, though perhaps a mobilisation generalé is more advantageous. What say the rest of you?

((What is the brilliant stroke?))

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I still don't get it how those cards work.

Herewaard
Jun 20, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Brilliant Strokes can be thought of as Trump Cards. They are quite powerful and can be used to interrupt the regular course of play. Each faction has 1 and can use it on any card before any other faction takes an action on it. It cancels whatever the current card is and allows the Brilliant Strokes player to do whatever is on their Brilliant Strokes card.

BUT, there is an order in which faction's Brilliant Strokes cards can be used to trump other factions Brilliant Strokes play. The order is Indians > French > British > Patriots meaning that if the Patriots play their card it can be overpowered by anyone else. However it can be super useful if you need to make sure the event of a certain card does not happen.

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

Majumbo posted:

Brilliant Strokes can be thought of as Trump Cards. They are quite powerful and can be used to interrupt the regular course of play. Each faction has 1 and can use it on any card before any other faction takes an action on it. It cancels whatever the current card is and allows the Brilliant Strokes player to do whatever is on their Brilliant Strokes card.

BUT, there is an order in which faction's Brilliant Strokes cards can be used to trump other factions Brilliant Strokes play. The order is Indians > French > British > Patriots meaning that if the Patriots play their card it can be overpowered by anyone else. However it can be super useful if you need to make sure the event of a certain card does not happen.

Basically this, yeah. You also have to be Eligible to be able to use a Brilliant Stroke and it resets all factions to Eligible for the upcoming card, so it's generally best when you know you'll be able to act twice in a row once you play it.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Anyway, we're flush, so why not French Agent Mobilization (New Hampshire?) + Préparer Le Guerre and get a Squadron to the West Indies?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

we should take a command only, forcing our opponent to take only a limited op. If we take command + special activity, they'll take the event for sure. So basically we should take the event out of their hands (which i am ambivalent about at best) or just take a command.

So if it's command only (which I strongly recommend) I think we should put two Patriot guerillas (again, not sure what these are called here... I'm so used to Op, LimOp, guerillas, etc) into NH and think about moving toward quebec city soon.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

The concerning thing here is if they pass. We cant stop them from passing, but we can limit their options. I'd like to hear what the patriots have to say, because most of our options are "meh" at best right here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tias
May 25, 2008

Agreed, Quebec is a most tempting prize.

• Locked thread