Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morlock
Aug 22, 2012

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

In Dark Souls 2, when you get to the dragon aerie, you can find sleeping dragons with items under their wings. The first one you run across has the soul of a brave warrior under its wing :v:

My favorite little thing about Dragon Aerie is the fact that while the environment is mostly pillars of solid rock, there's also a second type of gray-ish petrified substance that looks a lot more porous and foamy, and coats pretty much every horizontal surface in the area.

There are a LOT of dragons soaring around in the skies. They've probably lived in the area for a pretty long time.

Bob Morlock has a new favorite as of 00:25 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

looks like I'm reinstalling Alpha Protocol

only played through it once and don't remember clowning around much

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Might I suggest playing as the goon favorite "shotgun rear end in a top hat?"

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

Pour everything in assault weapons and kill every single person you see in front of you. Literally everyone.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.
Go into martial arts and shotguns, end every melee combo by firing the shotgun.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Tardcore posted:

Or do melee/shotgun and come out with the highest nonlethal takedown count possible by shooting everyone in the chest and then stomping on their balls to finish them off. It's nonlethal, so it's okay!

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Don't forget the gun that literally nails people to the wall, and the one that just vaporizes soldiers in one shot, leaving a charred skeleton behind (my personal favourite :allears:)

My favorite was chucking a grenade into a squad then popping into Bullet Time so I could hear them scream " fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" in slow mo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

My favorite was chucking a grenade into a squad then popping into Bullet Time so I could hear them scream " fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck" in slow mo.
Don't forget to air-burst the grenade by shooting it. :hellyeah:

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.

FFT posted:

looks like I'm reinstalling Alpha Protocol

only played through it once and don't remember clowning around much

Solice Kirsk posted:

This, or pick the Recruit start, always take the recruit choice, and just do the stupidest things you can think of

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

grate deceiver posted:

This, or pick the Recruit start, always take the recruit choice, and just do the stupidest things you can think of
So:

??

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

grate deceiver posted:

The fun thing about Recruit is that if you finish the game with it you then unlock Veteran which gives you a ton of starting points and unique dialog.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

muscles like this? posted:

The fun thing about Recruit is that if you finish the game with it you then unlock Veteran which gives you a ton of starting points and unique dialog.

It's way better to just download a save and start with Veteran because the first area is dire enough without being crippled by a complete lack of skill points.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

And you can do something you previously couldn't, which was nice.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

Solice Kirsk posted:

grate deceiver posted:

Incidentally, I am doing both of these things.

And then bluescreened after making Shaheed play make-believe (left him alive when I first played it)

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
drat, every time someone posts about Alpha Protocol I get the urge to replay it and try something new. I got something like 6 playthroughs going for different routes and there are still things I haven't seen.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

Tardcore posted:

Ravenfood posted:

Or do melee/shotgun and come out with the highest nonlethal takedown count possible by shooting everyone in the chest and then stomping on their balls to finish them off. It's nonlethal, so it's okay!
I did a Shotgun rear end in a top hat Thorton run and both of these are goddamn amazing. It's not quite the Bullet Time of pistols but there's something incredibly satisfying about how effective the shotgun is, even if it's not intended.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Due to the way shotguns work - the special ability will knock enemies flat on their rear end - you can end up with a lower kill count, as stomping on a downed enemy counts as non-lethal.

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Another little thing in Rimworld is the Dwarf Fortress-esque art descriptions.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.
I've never played Rimworld, but at first glance it looks like a shameless ripoff of Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress in Space. Which actually sounds pretty good to me.

Is that accurate?

Swedish Horror
Jan 16, 2013

Just Offscreen posted:

I've never played Rimworld, but at first glance it looks like a shameless ripoff of Prison Architect and Dwarf Fortress in Space. Which actually sounds pretty good to me.

Is that accurate?

Pretty much. It just had a pretty big update today which added marriages and relationships between colonists, making it even more like DF.

Here's the thread in Games if you want to find out more: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3598337

Swedish Horror has a new favorite as of 20:02 on Apr 6, 2016

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

poptart_fairy posted:

Due to the way shotguns work - the special ability will knock enemies flat on their rear end - you can end up with a lower kill count, as stomping on a downed enemy counts as non-lethal.

You can cause millions upon millions of medical bills that way.

I love the stats for non-lethal and lethal takedowns- medical bills, and orphans created. My first play through had a 4-digit orphan count.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

Sonic Unleashed has this music theme it plays over the results screen when you finish a level. If you play it really badly and get like a D rank or below, it will play the theme all out of tune and key and it makes me laugh a little each time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__BJnzf_sPE&t=2001s

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You can cause millions upon millions of medical bills that way.

I love the stats for non-lethal and lethal takedowns- medical bills, and orphans created. My first play through had a 4-digit orphan count.

Oh yeah, and orphan counts are determined by what people you're killing. Chinese combatants will have a single child at most, top secret government soldiers won't have any, etc etc.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Rimworld was not on my radar at all until today, can't get into Dwarf Fortress and getting tired of waiting to see if Maia turns out well so may well pick it up.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Rimworld is really awesome, especially the modding scene. It's one of those games I play for hours on end for a week or so, put down for a couple of weeks until there's an update or cool new mod I want to try, and play again. The prepare carefully mod really adds to the replayability because it allows me to create my own challenges.

Never got into dwarf fortress either, despite giving it an honest try for a couple of hours. Rimworld is much more accessible if you read up on the basics. Can't wait to try out the new update.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Enter the Gungeon has a lot of funny descriptions for everything you encounter. Like I got an upgrade that gave my guns freeze bullets and it says that they came about because someone misunderstood another person telling them to "cool it with all the bullets."

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I recently signed up for the Humble Monthly, and it's been pretty great so far. One of the nicest surprises was The Magic Circle, which I'd never heard of before, and ended up being my favorite game in the entire bundle, including The Stick of Truth and like six other games.

The idea behind The Magic Circle is that you're the hero of a fantasy game stuck in development hell, and you're trying to get the game released before the studio goes bankrupt. At one point, you find out that before the current version, there was a sci-fi imagining of the game that was nearly complete before being cancelled, and suddenly those files are mixed in with the files of the current version. What's really cool is that all the objects from the old scifi version are pixelated like a 90s FPS, even when laid against a different backdrop:

This game is short, but incredible, and I'd never heard of it before. You folks are where I usually hear about quirky games, and you failed me.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Enter the Gungeon has a lot of funny descriptions for everything you encounter. Like I got an upgrade that gave my guns freeze bullets and it says that they came about because someone misunderstood another person telling them to "cool it with all the bullets."

Apparently every item you get that actually has the word cool in the description adds to your hidden coolness stat. Which boosts the quality of items you find.

Cool feature.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

the alpha protocol talk is making me want to run through the game--never finished my first run for some reason. I guess I had trouble following the plot

Agents are GO! posted:

I recently signed up for the Humble Monthly, and it's been pretty great so far. One of the nicest surprises was The Magic Circle, which I'd never heard of before, and ended up being my favorite game in the entire bundle, including The Stick of Truth and like six other games.

sounds pretty hilarious imo

content:

every weapon transformation in bloodborne looks sweet as hell. the transform attacks are even awesomer. the idea of transforming weapons is a cool idea in general

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the alpha protocol talk is making me want to run through the game--never finished my first run for some reason. I guess I had trouble following the plot

sounds pretty hilarious imo

content:

every weapon transformation in bloodborne looks sweet as hell. the transform attacks are even awesomer. the idea of transforming weapons is a cool idea in general

Also their stat growth makes it so (more or less) all weapons are viable for end game use. This pretty much lets you use your personal favourite through the whole game.

Sad lions has a new favorite as of 00:03 on Apr 8, 2016

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Sad lions posted:

Also their stat growth makes it so (more or less) all weapons are liable for end game use. This pretty much lets you use your personal favourite through the whole game.

That's honestly my favorite improvement over the other souls games- there are no bad weapons.

Except for the stake driver. But even then it looks rad as hell.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Just Offscreen posted:

That's honestly my favorite improvement over the other souls games- there are no bad weapons.

Except for the stake driver. But even then it looks rad as hell.
The Stake Driver is the ultimate in "high risk-high reward" in that it is the single most damaging weapon in the game.

When it connects.

SavTargaryen
Sep 11, 2011
So, I've been playing Rogue Galaxy, which is SUPER FUN. And I'm pretty sure this is unintentional, but at one point a character runs away, and the game treats it like you can't catch her. Well, uh...

Juno please. I could lean out and high five you.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
All problems with Bravely Second are forgiven when it does boss fights like the one for the Exorcist job.

The Exorcist himself only has one move that isn't a plain attack: Undo HP, which returns the target's HP to what it was at the start of the previous turn. His supporting snipers pepper you with moderate-strength attacks, including one move that reduces the target to 1 HP, while he either reverts himself or your party depending on what's most advantageous. He's surprisingly devastating since he can revert all the damage or healing you do in a single turn, especially since he comes at a point in the game where your strategies start solidifying and you can get some really good damage out of single-turn setups. You can't outdo his healing if you do this, no matter how good you are. And you can't defend against his attacks, because they aren't really 'attacks'. It's a really clever boss fight, especially once I realized the best strategy:

Be bad at the game. He's built to ruin people who have big-ticket setups, and who always have ways to patch themselves up, which is the best way to be in Bravely Default and Second. But if you intentionally leave yourself open, let his snipers keep peppering you with damage that might (and sometimes do) kill you, and never really hit him all that hard, his attention is too split to counter anything you're doing.

gently caress, I love clever boss fights. And while Bravely Second might fall shy of Default in other ways, it is REALLY good at clever boss fights.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I did the intro section with perfect stealth during my first recruit playthrough. :smug:

Also I loved having my most lethal weapon be FISTS, god I loved kicking the poo poo out of everything, there's one particular boss enemy that you tries to fight you hand to hand, if you defeat him in hand to hand Thorton will sound really winded and tired for the rest of the mission, just a really cool touch.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

SavTargaryen posted:

So, I've been playing Rogue Galaxy, which is SUPER FUN. And I'm pretty sure this is unintentional, but at one point a character runs away, and the game treats it like you can't catch her. Well, uh...

Juno please. I could lean out and high five you.

Given how much the game cribs from Freelancer (hell, the person you're looking for is named Juno), I chalked that up to it being a reference to Jun'ko constantly badgering Trent to go faster in Freelancer.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sad lions posted:

Also their stat growth makes it so (more or less) all weapons are viable for end game use. This pretty much lets you use your personal favourite through the whole game.

Only problem is that there are some weapons that require high Arcane and Bloodtinge to use that don't show up until way later in the game.

Sad lions
Sep 3, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Only problem is that there are some weapons that require high Arcane and Bloodtinge to use that don't show up until way later in the game.

Yeah, Bloodborne probably would have profited a lot from having something like the stat reallocation from Dark Souls 2. Hell, one of the DLC weapons is pure arcane and that's not something that's a hell of a stat investment considering decent magic doesn't show up till something like the halfway point (though it does at least boost Molotov cocktails, I think).

I rarely used arcane myself but Black sky eye (if I remember the name right) was a godsend when fighting the Amygdala in that half health defiled dungeon. I don't think I used a single physical attack, instead opting to fuel repeated casts using my characters blood.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

SciFiDownBeat posted:

the plot is intended to be intricate and confusing (especially the first time), like a proper spy thriller

and if you get lost, you always have the [Suave] and/or [Sarcastic] options.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

The idea behind The Magic Circle is that you're the hero of a fantasy game stuck in development hell, and you're trying to get the game released before the studio goes bankrupt. At one point, you find out that before the current version, there was a sci-fi imagining of the game that was nearly complete before being cancelled, and suddenly those files are mixed in with the files of the current version. What's really cool is that all the objects from the old scifi version are pixelated like a 90s FPS, even when laid against a different backdrop:

This game is short, but incredible, and I'd never heard of it before. You folks are where I usually hear about quirky games, and you failed me.

It's also a lengthy gently caress-you to Ken Levine from his former employees after the disastrous production of Bioshock Inifinite.