Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel
I sincerely feel bad for not hooking up with Triss after the quest on Hindarsfjall. Yen is turning out to be a b*tch! Triss was much more soft hearted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Arcsquad12 posted:

My strategy is built around the foltest siege master card. Dump my hero cards to mess up tell enemy and force him into playing his scorch cards. I like using blue stripes to trick them into burning a high value target. Then I have two onagers with tight bond, the medic and yennefer to draw up the blue stripes to pull another scorch. Once their scorch cards are gone I play the twin onagers and foltest's siege card. With the medic that's seventy four points in artillery alone.

Yeah it's all about tricking the computer into bringing out scorches. Throw out an 8 seige unit or yeah use the blue stripes if you have the medics that round.

A lot of people talk about losing the first round on purpose, but so many of my gwent games went:
1) Win Spy round by 1
2) Win round 2 with 110 points.

Fosson
Feb 26, 2011

rdsarna posted:

I sincerely feel bad for not hooking up with Triss after the quest on Hindarsfjall. Yen is turning out to be a b*tch! Triss was much more soft hearted.

Triss is a coward and a sexual predator. Yen is a bitch, but give her a chance!

Edit: a sexual predator of mutants, not children. Should clarify a bit.

Fosson fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Apr 5, 2016

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Fosson posted:

Triss is a coward and a sexual predator. Yen is a bitch, but give her a chance!

Nah Yennifer is pretty horrible and just keeps going downhill, the only real choice is going it alone or a threeway I guess.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I liked Yennefer. :colbert:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Yennefer is the best. She's basically just picking all the Renegade choices in the game, because god dammit, pussyfooting around isn't gonna get her daughter back. Yeah, sorry about your lovely tree or whatever, but the only person who can save the planet from an imminent ice age is missing, and my only lead is this desecrated corpse that I need to talk to, or else the trail is gonna run cold. She's a fascinating character. Triss is pretty boring in comparison.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Yeah, Yennifer has a good reason to be bitchy. Yen's cool, I was Team Yen.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Yennefer is the best. She's basically just picking all the Renegade choices in the game, because god dammit, pussyfooting around isn't gonna get her daughter back. Yeah, sorry about your lovely tree or whatever, but the only person who can save the planet from an imminent ice age is missing, and my only lead is this desecrated corpse that I need to talk to, or else the trail is gonna run cold. She's a fascinating character. Triss is pretty boring in comparison.

Sure but on the other hand she nearly causes an ecological disaster in order to obtain information of no real worth and the only reason the investigation doesn't end cold there is because the druid happened to hear us talking about the wildhunt and provided information which he could have relayed by talking to him instead of violating his and Crach's trust breaking into his room, stealing his stuff and nearly drowning the whole island.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

SpRahl posted:

Sure but on the other hand she nearly causes an ecological disaster in order to obtain information of no real worth and the only reason the investigation doesn't end cold there is because the druid happened to hear us talking about the wildhunt and provided information which he could have relayed by talking to him instead of violating his and Crach's trust breaking into his room, stealing his stuff and nearly drowning the whole island.

Yeah, but those rain effects were fuckin' sick.

SpRahl
Apr 22, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, but those rain effects were fuckin' sick.

I guess we can agree there.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yennefer owns. She's basically the perfect girlfriend for Geralt - this isn't Mass Effect, the player character isn't you, and I feel like Geralt and Yen have a way more... authentically couple-ey rapport than I've seen in pretty much any game before. Especially with Ciri in the mix, you really get the impression that the two of them would do anything for her and pretty much could if they wanted, they're like the perfect crazily powerful dysfunctional family. I feel like he'd end up bloody miserable with Triss, especially with her ending dragging him into a position as a political adviser forever.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yennefer owns. She's basically the perfect girlfriend for Geralt - this isn't Mass Effect, the player character isn't you, and I feel like Geralt and Yen have a way more... authentically couple-ey rapport than I've seen in pretty much any game before. Especially with Ciri in the mix, you really get the impression that the two of them would do anything for her and pretty much could if they wanted, they're like the perfect crazily powerful dysfunctional family. I feel like he'd end up bloody miserable with Triss, especially with her ending dragging him into a position as a political adviser forever.
They also swap terrible puns so you know their love is true.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Accordion Man posted:

They also swap terrible puns so you know their love is true.
I genuinely believe this to be the case

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Crappy Jack posted:

Yen totally won me over. Also the silly ice age is the justification of half the settings fantasy Hitlers.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Triss is a red head.
Check and mate.

I don't know, I wish we had more than one game with Yen.

It does feel like she was always there in a way though, we spend so much time with her in TW3 that it almost makes up for her absence.

But, I practically grew up with Triss being Geralt's bae since TW1, they just feel right together. :kiddo:

Then again, him and Yen have a great spark too.

I DON'T KNOW drat IT. :negative:

why not both?

Deakul fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Apr 6, 2016

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Deakul posted:

why not both?
Try it! :v:

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Just all go all in and romance Shani too.

Speaking of which I played the expansion where Shani and Geralt used to be a thing but they're just friends now and they did a real nice job writing that.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

The only true coupling is Triss, because Geralt is a loving idiot manchild and would obviously choose the least healthy relationship.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

JetsGuy posted:

:smug: I did em, took like one evening. Just throw a movie on your laptop/ipad and just pick em up.

It's like picking up the hidden packages in GTA or the riddler trophies in Batman. It's dumb, there's no reward, but can be done in one night when you know where they are.

The best part about the sunken treasures though is that you don't have to worry about being overburdened because it doesn't affect you getting in and out of a boat and swimming. I was literally thousands in weight at the end and there is a fast travel right near a port for you to fast travel to whereever and sell all your poo poo.

I did it over a few nights, with the mod that made my boat not take damage, as it would suck to have the boat get destroyed in the middle of the ocean. I sold basically everything because I think I was 35 or so, but that enabled me to have enough money to pump into the runesmith.

I agree, Yen makes way more sense for who Geralt is in this game. Though ME I always felt that Shep had a distinct personality, but then I played Angry Space Lesbian who doens't have time for your poo poo or Captain Sisko Shep, Liara still seemed like the only logical romance option.

Shani is the romance I took in Witcher 1 though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

twistedmentat posted:

Shani is the romance I took in Witcher 1 though.

shani in witcher 3 owns and is the anti-triss. Yen is also great, but I just couldn't get over how well shani responds to the same stuff triss brings up in such a better way.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
Drunk Shani > fake drunk Triss, but I did go with Team Yen on my first playthrough. It just made more sense.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
I went for Triss because she was willing to get tortured to find Ciri; I gather she's apparently two ticks from a rapist in the books but in the game she was kind of selfless & brave, the red-head sealed the deal.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
the triss rapist jokes come from the first/second games, actually, because when geralt comes back without his memory he's like "people tell me that there are songs about my love affair with a sorceress" and triss is all like "well hello sailor"

rdsarna
Feb 13, 2016

Sorry, I'm NOT Funny! :airquote:
My "serious" Channel

Crappy Jack posted:

You, sir, opened my eyes and I see Yen differently now. At least I understand her perspective. I was being too goody-two-shoes with my Geralt and complaining about her actions throughout that quest. Not anymore.

PS. You could write a summary of W3's plot in a similar manner and it would be quite an enjoyable read.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The best thing about Triss is they actually wrote some solid character development to bring her from books-Triss to mage railroad leadership-Triss.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Strategic Tea posted:

The best thing about Triss is they wrote some solid character development to bring her from books-Triss to mage railroad leadership-Triss.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

andrew smash posted:

the triss rapist jokes come from the first/second games, actually, because when geralt comes back without his memory he's like "people tell me that there are songs about my love affair with a sorceress" and triss is all like "well hello sailor"

She literally magicked him into having sex with her in the books.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

OTOH Triss is actually pleasant to be around (for a sorceress), whereas Yen is like running your eyeballs with sandpaper.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

OTOH Triss is actually pleasant to be around (for a sorceress), whereas Yen is like running your eyeballs with sandpaper.

Had the opposite reaction here. Between Triss's voice and how pathetically, desperately needy she is around Geralt, I always found her a huge chore to deal with.

Comte de Saint-Germain
Mar 26, 2001

Snouk but and snouk ben,
I find the smell of an earthly man,
Be he living, or be he dead,
His heart this night shall kitchen my bread.
Geralt's True Love is Roach.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Comte de Saint-Germain posted:

Geralt's True Love is Roche

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
Playing through Heart of Stone, the people who made the music for this game deserve a ton of awards. It was already good in the main game but they knocked it out of the park for the first expansion.

lilbeefer
Oct 4, 2004

Dreylad posted:

Playing through Heart of Stone, the people who made the music for this game deserve a ton of awards. It was already good in the main game but they knocked it out of the park for the first expansion.

For sure. Amazing music. And possibly the only setting that the folk metal band Percival could work without being weird

dat one portagee
Dec 6, 2006

WAT DOIN BUG?

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Had the opposite reaction here. Between Triss's voice and how pathetically, desperately needy she is around Geralt, I always found her a huge chore to deal with.

This. Triss is supposed to be this leader/savior for the mages in Novigrad but she doesn't really act like it. she sounds and acts kind of like a dopey teenage girl. That's my impression from my interactions with her so far, I've only just led everyone through the sewers.

Hamlet442
Mar 2, 2008
The right answer is Geralt boning any woman willing. :colbert: For my Geralt, first it was Keira, then Triss, and I'm currently trying with Yen. Gotta get it when I can 'cause a dragon or a harpy or whatever could kill me any day.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Speaking of Geralt dying, what is this thing I've seen were Geralt gets killed via pitchfork and Yenn dies trying to bring him back to life? Is that the end of the books or the Ultimate End of Geralt no matter what your game choices are, but it happens way in the future.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

Hamlet442 posted:

The right answer is Geralt boning any woman willing. :colbert: For my Geralt, first it was Keira, then Triss, and I'm currently trying with Yen. Gotta get it when I can 'cause a dragon or a harpy or whatever could kill me any day.

Yeah, but he'd probably gently caress a dragon or a harpy if the mood struck. Hell, Witcher 1 has a vampire hooker foursome, which is regretfully unused as a band name.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

twistedmentat posted:

Speaking of Geralt dying, what is this thing I've seen were Geralt gets killed via pitchfork and Yenn dies trying to bring him back to life? Is that the end of the books or the Ultimate End of Geralt no matter what your game choices are, but it happens way in the future.
It's where the books ended and where the games picked up from, its why Geralt has amnesia in the first two games. Ciri saved them by jumping dimensions and taking them to King Arthur's Avalon.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Apr 7, 2016

MikeC
Jul 19, 2004
BITCH ASS NARC
Avalon wtf? Never knew this bit.

The represtation of Triss in the first two games seems much at odds with Triss in the 3rd game. Even though the voice actress changed from the first game, even in the 2nd game she was much less wishy washy woe is me.

Even within W3 she swings wildly at times

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

MikeC posted:

Avalon wtf? Never knew this bit.
And then the epilogue of the newest book happens. Geralt time-traveling 150 years after his supposed death.