Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Page 3010 WOOOO

:toot: :toot: :toot:

* i missed page 3000 :saddowns:

big nipples big life fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

nopantsjack posted:

game journos who are sitting on their hands after getting all preachy about their position as consumer watchdogs.

since when were game journalists seen as consumer watchdogs?

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It was a very short while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-USrwuUfA

That dude's got some awesome fidelity

I'm still waiting for the first octopus skin resolution display

E: better vid

Back when I gave a poo poo about things I suggested that modeling chaff like the ink being released from an octopus would be a really awesome way to show its effect.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Agrajag posted:

since when were game journalists seen as consumer watchdogs?

Dolvak's got that covered :patriot:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Fat Shat Sings posted:

I get that Derek has legal reasons for being a tittering schoolgirl with his cryptic knowledge and EightAce are trying to protect their jobs, but I'm curious what keeps other ex disgruntled employees from just telling all basically?

Are you worried about a lawsuit? Or hurting your prospects with another job or something?

Cause I know I'd love it if someone just finally loving told what's been going on without the years long embargo on information. As a regular rear end in a top hat I just don't understand why the secrets have persisted this long.

Yes, pretty much. They can subpoena web forum postings. Not that it would do them any good, because it would be virtually impossible to connect user names to IP addresses.

The biggest flaw is that, anyone buying avatars here on SA, would need to use a credit card, PayPal etc. That can be tied to a web forum account and the original owner can be uncovered easily. A gift card makes it a bit harder, but unless you paid cash for the gift card, it can be traced to a person.

The other thing is that they can't issue a subpoena without an active lawsuit. So they'd have to sue someone (even a bunch of John Doe) in order to get that from a judge. They simply cannot issue a blanket subpoena without providing some info as to who/what they're searching for. Only the US govt. can do that when they issue such subpoenas for IP address info etc.

Which is precisely why I always tell sources, if you're going to post about anything online, use a browser proxy, Tor etc, don't buy anything etc. And use something like Lockbin.com, privnote.com or noteshred.com to pass along throw-away sensitive data.

And, no, you shouldn't be using email encrypted comms because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked. Plus, you can't rely on the other party to have an end-point (e.g. PGP) key.

In case it wasn't obvious, deleted text messages on every phone can be recovered by every digital forensics team on the planet. If the judge grants a subpoena, or you turn over your devices willingly (you'd be a loving idiot to do that, knowing how DIFFICULT it is for a judge to grant them such a subpoena without cause) - and you have incriminating stuff on it and which rises to the level of a breach of your work NDA; you're hosed.

Important note:

- saying your boss is a loving moron isn't an NDA breach. it's free speech opinion. you're in the clear.

- saying your boss is ripping off the company isn't an NDA breach. it's defamation. you're hosed if it's false.

- saying that the work being done on the game is hosed, is a breach of an NDA. you're hosed either way since it's related to work.

First rule of spycraft. Trust no-one. Not even the person you're giving stuff to; unless you really trust them, or you trust someone who vouches for, and trusts them.

e.g. I gave this Star Citizen story to various media (contrary to Spergs belief, The Escapist was not one of them) outlets, all but two opted to bury the story. Then they came calling when The Escapist story hit. I ignored them. And when this poo poo-show finally explodes, I'm going to be naming names, dates, details etc. I'm going to loving burn all of them to the ground for being complicit. I have it on good authority that at least one writer for a major gaming outlet, revealed one of my sources to RSI/CIG. Funny thing is, I found out from another source inside RSI/CIG.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 6, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Seeing as how the gig is up and funding is starting to flat-line, they will have no choice by to close it and cut costs.

They are hiring even more QA at Austin. It's possible they are doing it just to piss you off though.

Haskell9
Sep 23, 2008

post it live
The Great Twist
I have a feeling the thread's going to be a fun read when I get off work this afternoon. :v:

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Anyone else disappointed when CIG wasn't revealed in the Panama Papers thing?

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

I have it on good authority that at least one writer for a major gaming outlet, revealed one of my sources to RSI/CIG. Funny thing is, I found out from another source inside RSI/CIG.

That manages to be both an incredibly lovely and unprofessional thing to do.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro

AP posted:

I'd be willing to bet it was a gawker owned company

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Booblord Zagats posted:

Anyone else disappointed when CIG wasn't revealed in the Panama Papers thing?
To be honest, to major media outlets CIG is small fry compared to the other names and companies involved in the Panama Papers. Why go after CIG when you can go after world leaders and the like?

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AP posted:

~ethics in video game journalism~

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

Since I learned crobbler basically gutted free radical in order to throw money at his disaster it got personal.

But Wing Commander came out the year before Timesplitters. Are you thinking of someone else?

EDIT: Also did I miss any good photoshops yesterday?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

They are hiring even more QA at Austin. It's possible they are doing it just to piss you off though.

They gutted that office.

They always had those hiring pages at ALL locations around the world. It means nothing.

Last I checked, they didn't have a staffed dedicated "QA team". In fact, they never actually did because most of the people doing the testing, were the devs, producers etc.

Germany and UK are focused on engine and SQ42

US is focused on selling JPEGs out of LA.

Austin is the odd studio with no clear purpose. That was "PU" central. Which is hilarious just thinking about it; when you consider how massive Star Citizen (PU) is and why it needs a large dedicated team to pull off. Yet, it's SQ42 - croberts pipe dream - that has the BULK of the 300 people worldwide. Think about that for a moment.

If they have decided to re-task Austin, it has nothing to do with me. It's cheaper to get rid of expensive talent (engineers etc) and hire QA people. I have the list of everyone who was in Austin, who has left, and who is still there. They got rid (some quit, some got terminated) of most of the talented people who had the critical job of building/maintaining Star Citizen PU. Replaced them with low-level game testers and maintenance crew. That's what Austin is now. A shell.

Also, it is important to note that they are not keeping it open to spite me. This is what I said back in Sept 2015.

Aside from that, they won't talk about "leavers", but they will announce (on Facebook no less) new people joining Austin. There is a reason for that. They're trying to prove me wrong. Especially the timing of it. Notice how I recently announced that the PU was in maintenance mode. And less than two weeks later, they are making a big deal about hiring QA in Austin. This despite the fact that people have left/joined the other three studios. No announcement.

Star Citizen (PU) is in maintenance mode. Period. End of story. The only things they're going to add to it, are those designed to SELL stuff, while fixing patches, making tweaks etc. No tangible gameplay stuff that I currently know of. They KNOW that the networking kernel is FUBAR and there is NO way around it. So sticking with what they have, isn't going to get them any closer to selling crap. So they've branched it off a PU 2.x. Whatever the gently caress they're working on now, based on croberts recent ramblings, isn't going to solve the problem because the E.L.E would have concluded long before that. And it will all be over.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
I've finally sold my last ship, freedom! Total initial spend ~$80 (from Kickstarter and 6 months after), with a final profit of ~$95 to freely spend on other space games!

I think I won at Star Citizen. That's how the game's played, right?

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

It will be convoluted because say you have 40 pages to go, whereby you left at #200 and the current is #240. Then you start reading at 201 and 240. By the time you get to 220 (from 201), the last page has grown to 50 and is now 290. :D :D :D

True, but you're reading from the end backwards at the same.
The directions are flipped (mirrored).

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Quavers posted:

I've finally sold my last ship, freedom! Total initial spend ~$80 (from Kickstarter and 6 months after), with a final profit of ~$95 to freely spend on other space games!

I think I won at Star Citizen. That's how the game's played, right?

The only winning move is not to play~

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

And, no, you shouldn't be using email encrypted comms because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked. Plus, you can't rely on the other party to have an end-point (e.g. PGP) key.

Woah. First of all, good luck cracking PGP encrypted e-mail messages, second, if you don't have your partner's public key then you cannot send them an encrypted message (via PGP), it's as simple as that. You can absolutely rely on PGP as long as your partner isn't an idiot that can't take care of his/her private key.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

It was a very short while!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eS-USrwuUfA

That dude's got some awesome fidelity

I'm still waiting for the first octopus skin resolution display

E: better vid

I tried really hard not to quote this, but cephalopod camouflage is sooooo cool! Dudes are basically made out of a cross between a super-high refresh rate HD display and one of these:

All at a level of FIDELITY that's high enough to completely fool animals with some of the best eyesight in the world (sharks eyes for example, are about ten times more sensitive to light than our own, making them great at picking up on contrast between an animal and its background)

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

AP posted:

I bet that writer is a sperg.

Furious Mittens
Oct 14, 2005

Lipstick Apathy

Truly the best post.

I feel proud to have been in on this shitshow from the beginning of Derek's Smarties. Where do we go from here? Like a wise sage once said, the only place for this to go is UP UP UP!

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

G0RF posted:

Dammit I missed 3000. And I'm not sure there's going to be a 4000.

Atxsperg, glad to see you opening up.

One thing I don't understand-- I find really hard to make sense of...

If Sandi was as unhinged as The Escapist sources make her out to be, if employees at multiple offices witnesses this, why on earth didn't anyone flip a camera on or leave an iPhone on recording that madness?

I just find it hard to believe nobody would get mad enough about it to document it. Years go by of this and nobody bothers to capture it? I recognize the dicey issues around that but still, humans being human, and outrages being outrages, and this being the Internet age, it really baffles me.

It's the fact that no evidence has surfaced that still makes it hard for me to accept the worst of it.

On a seperate note (forgive me if you've been asked) but does the Austin office hate our guts for what we write here? Is it just noise? Or not even paid attention to?

I'm hoping we don't make things worse for anybody. Jake Ross seems like a nice enough guy even if the champagne stupor nova CIG is cooking up for the Ship Salesfloor is a source of constant joking here.

1) You can't plan for that

2) If you're the target, you're not going to be able to whip out a phone on the spot to record anything

ps: those rumors about Chris and Sandi doing coke - at the office? there are a number of people who say its true, and at least one person that I know of, has seen this first hand. One claims to have a pic. I haven't seen it. Like I've always said: this poo poo-show is going to be a deposition Gold mine when it collapses.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 6, 2016

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer
nm

AP fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2016

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away

atxsperg posted:

there was a keg. lots of beer. lots of hard stuff. fans sent it.

I think its best if i keep vague about a great deal of things.

I will also say that even if some of the people at cig are not worth a poo poo many of them are truly brilliant and don't deserve this. I only hope that CIG doesn't taint resumes, and that future employers give them a chance to show their work and explain a bit (without complaining or being too bitter)

whatever the "game" is at this state, you have to admit that the art can look fantastic, the ships are really cool. there is quality stuff there, the explosions and particle effects, modelling and textures. its really nice stuff. its nice in spite of the people in charge and a testament to the tenacity of the underlings.

Besides the glitching in and out of the large debris, I think SC has the best ship explosions in any game.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

quote:

D_Smart posted:
Woah. First of all, good luck cracking PGP encrypted e-mail messages, second, if you don't have your partner's public key then you cannot send them an encrypted message (via PGP), it's as simple as that. You can absolutely rely on PGP as long as your partner isn't an idiot that can't take care of his/her private key.

Pay attention:

Sending encrypted email has NOTHING to do with PGP as per my above comment.

You can send email that's encrypted - in transit. When it lands in the other person's inbox, it's in plaintext

And the point of my PGP comment is that BOTH you and the person, MUST be using PGP for it to be secure. And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem. Hence the reason that I pointed out the other ways to send private comms without requiring the other person to know ANYTHING about HOW to do it.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Apr 6, 2016

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

If some agency has legally gotten access to someone's email account, chances are they also have some legal mechanism to force that person to decrypt the messages in the account. Although it's nice to think of the person you've emailed heroically going to jail rather than reveal your secrets, it's not very likely.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

D_Smart posted:

1) You can't plan for that

2) If you're the target, you're not going to be able to whip out a phone on the stop to record anything

ps: those rumors about Chris and Sandi doing coke - at the office? there are a number of people who say its true, and at least one person that I know of, has seen this first hand. One claims to have a pic. I haven't seen it. Like I've always said: this poo poo-show is going to be a deposition Gold mine when it collapses.

:eyepop:

Also yeah cephalopods are amazing. They have massive brains, awesome camo, and cool eyes. Aside from smart birbs (crows and the parrots that are not as stupid as mine) they are the best animals ever. :cthulhu:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gerblyn posted:

If some agency has legally gotten access to someone's email account, chances are they also have some legal mechanism to force that person to decrypt the messages in the account. Although it's nice to think of the person you've emailed heroically going to jail rather than reveal your secrets, it's not very likely.

Precisely. AND a judge CAN compel you to turn over your PGP key. Especially if it can be proven that the communication was sent on company property; since the law has ruled that the company - not the employee - owns the email that is sent/stored/received on company property.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

quote:

Pay attention:

You can send email that's encrypted - in transit. When it lands in the other person's inbox, it's in plaintext

And the point of my PGP comment is that BOTH you and the person, MUST be using PGP for it to be secure. And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem.

That's not how PGP works. Both you and the other person have to use PGP or PGP doesn't work at all. There is no "it won't be secure" it simply won't work if both parties don't use PGP, you need your partner's public key to encrypt your message. It also won't be in plaintext when it lands in the inbox of the recipient - if you use PGP to encrypt it. If you mean TLS/SSL then indeed you are correct.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

Iglocska posted:

:colbert:

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Gerblyn posted:

Sadly I do not remember my private key's passphrase and therefore cannot help you.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Pay attention:

And the point of my PGP comment is that BOTH you and the person, MUST be using PGP for it to be secure. And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem.

quote:

That's not how PGP works. Both you and the other person have to use PGP or PGP doesn't work at all. There is no "it won't be secure" it simply won't work if both parties don't use PGP, you need your partner's public key to encrypt your message. It also won't be in plaintext when it lands in the inbox of the recipient - if you use PGP to encrypt it. If you mean TLS/SSL then indeed you are correct.

You're kidding me, right? I think you should READ - slowly - what I've written before you continue along this path. It's not too late to save yourself.

ps: I use PGP every day.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

EightAce posted:

Guess this thread will close shortly so Ill leave you with this.
The professor and Beer have inspired the collective. lets play a game
Figure this out and it will tell you all you need to know. Identities will be revealed and a full image will shimmer into view. The whole thing from pre crashed enzo's right up to now. Its not a joke its real

3/35/101/21/10/5/14/6/34/1/23/22/4/29/9/19/2/11

Hint: 64652067656b6b6520646f6b7465722077696a737420646520776567

Well I solved the hint at least. Apparently Eightace speaks dutch.

Edit: And solved; at least I think. Its not nearly as cool as I was hoping.

Eldragon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 6, 2016

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Hey Ben,

Remember this? Remember how we gave you some advice on how to moderate the community and provide clear, concise rules so that the expectations were well established and the toxicity of the community was mitigated? Remember how we started to do this after your community was posting racist and homophobic content, and how a few months after you closed the thread that controversy popped up where your community was posting incredibly hateful and sexist comments towards one of our own members? Remember how, when that happened, you decided the best course of action was to outright blame us and explain how Lauresh's ban was justified because she was angrily flagging hateful messages? Remember how the community you created and managed became so toxic that they attacked someone with cancer for asking why Star Citizen wasn't playable?

I hope so, because it's your fault.

I wasn't around at the time but I take it as a given that instead of doing the things he said he'd do in this part Ben just kept purging goons at any excuse. How wrong am I?

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

You're kidding me, right? I think you should READ - slowly - what I've written before you continue along this path. It's not too late to save yourself.

ps: I use PGP every day.

quote:

I use PGP every day too.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

G0RF posted:

Do any of you cats still have an active account on the Brown Sea?

I just saw a thread with that idiotic timeline posted in reply to someone actually expressing annoyance with the glacial pace of development.

If any of you haven't yet been banned and want to inject some lucidity into the thread with the following utterly empirical and in no way speculative refinement pass on that same timeline, I'd appreciate it. As much as anything I just want to see what mods will do if this crosses the thread...

If you're all banned or otherwise avoiding the forums I'd understand...

Done.

RIP duck avatar.

RattiRatto
Jun 26, 2014

:gary: :I'd like to borrow $200M
:whatfor:
:gary: :To make vidya game
No more riddles please

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

3010 a paaaarrrrppp odyssey :gary:

nopantsjack posted:

Since I learned crobbler basically gutted free radical in order to throw money at his disaster it got personal.

Some remnants of Free Radical are making Homefront: The Revolution, looks like it might be fun.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Palisader posted:

It's a sad day when I can catch up with the thread before leaving for work. That was some excellent poo poo-posting though. Beet Wagon, you are cool and your job is cool and your stories are cool.

This makes me feel less bad for completely derailing the thread for like 20 pages.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

D_Smart posted:

Pay attention:

And the point of my PGP comment is that BOTH you and the person, MUST be using PGP for it to be secure. And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem. Hence the reason that I pointed out the other ways to send private comms without requiring the other person to know ANYTHING about HOW to do it.

All this bullshit is why people have started going back to telling the really important secrets the old-fashioned way: in person, naked, after a cavity search, in the middle of the woods where there is no cell signal.

• Locked thread