Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Scruffpuff posted:

All this bullshit is why people have started going back to telling the really important secrets the old-fashioned way: in person, naked, after a cavity search, in the middle of the woods where there is no cell signal.

This is Derek's procedure for his CIG sources. It's not strictly necessary but he enjoys it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

I wasn't around at the time but I take it as a given that instead of doing the things he said he'd do in this part Ben just kept purging goons at any excuse. How wrong am I?

Post is gone.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/citizens/The_Engine

Citizen not banned.

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

Sadly I do not remember my private key's passphrase and therefore cannot help you.

I'm sure they've never heard that one before. It's nice to imagine yourself stonewalling a judge to protect your privacy, but when you're actually sat in court or being interviewed by a federal agent, do you really think you'd do it? When they threaten you with obstruction or contempt of court, will you really not waver? What if you're not the one who's at risk, but the email's sender?

Life is not a movie, the majority of people will not defy the system to protect another person when they realize their livelihood is at risk.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Daztek posted:

Missed page 3000 because I was sleeping, but

And now back to page 2985 :cool:

:five: :bravo: :five: :bravo: :five: :bravo: :five: :bravo: :five: :bravo: :five: :bravo: :five: :bravo: :five: :bravo:

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Gerblyn posted:

I'm sure they've never heard that one before. It's nice to imagine yourself stonewalling a judge to protect your privacy, but when you're actually sat in court or being interviewed by a federal agent, do you really think you'd do it? When they threaten you with obstruction or contempt of court, will you really not waver? What if you're not the one who's at risk, but the email's sender?

Life is not a movie, the majority of people will not defy the system to protect another person when they realize their livelihood is at risk.

This will get you prison time in the UK. They made it illegal to refuse to hand over a password a few years ago. Dunno what happens if you have genuinely forgotten it though.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

alphabettitouretti posted:

This is Derek's procedure for his CIG sources. It's not strictly necessary but he enjoys it.

This casts the idea of legal fetching documents into a terrible light.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

EightAce posted:

Guess this thread will close shortly so Ill leave you with this.
The professor and Beer have inspired the collective. lets play a game
Figure this out and it will tell you all you need to know. Identities will be revealed and a full image will shimmer into view. The whole thing from pre crashed enzo's right up to now. Its not a joke its real

3/35/101/21/10/5/14/6/34/1/23/22/4/29/9/19/2/11

Hint: 64652067656b6b6520646f6b7465722077696a737420646520776567

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XqwCejSZA28

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

RattiRatto posted:

No more riddles please

seriously

learn to communicate people

this thread

so bad

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Gerblyn posted:

My PGP key is one of the things I would never give out no matter what. It's not just about protecting another person, it's also about protecting myself of course.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

Roeben posted:

The idea that CIG is "Resume Poison" is a bit ridiculous to be honest. No sane employer would value the result of a single project over the contents of someones portfolio.

There's some nice art, tech, models in star citizen, so I doubt that the people who had a hand in that are going to be shafted afterwards.

i can tell you that is false when it comes to this industry. people with "Ion Storm" and "3D realms" have been looked at with a wide side-eye because of that association. Its risky to hire someone from a shitshow because it's hard to find out if they had anything to do with the poo poo.

its also inverted, some people with "Halo" on their resume have been hired practically site unseen, and quickly found out ot be idiots.

so it goes both ways. I can tell you that CIG has driven people out of the industry completely already.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Jesus christ that whole forum needs to be burned to the ground.

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

Iglocska posted:

My PGP key is one of the things I would never give out no matter what. It's not just about protecting another person, it's also about protecting myself of course.

Is it 12345.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

atxsperg posted:

i can tell you that is false when it comes to this industry. people with "Ion Storm" and "3D realms" have been looked at with a wide side-eye because of that association. Its risky to hire someone from a shitshow because it's hard to find out if they had anything to do with the poo poo.

its also inverted, some people with "Halo" on their resume have been hired practically site unseen, and quickly found out ot be idiots.

so it goes both ways. I can tell you that CIG has driven people out of the industry completely already.

So are you bailing out or did you bail out or did you get injected with some terrible poison from which you must daily milk the antidote from a cat chained to your desk.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

My new PGP I've just created is one of the things I would never give out no matter what. It's not just about protecting another person, it's also about protecting myself of course.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Also, it is important to note that they are not keeping it open to spite me. This is what I said back in Sept 2015.

Derek you said "they are not keeping it open to spite me."

Yet on your link you said.

quote:

As I had mentioned a few weeks ago, multiple sources are telling me that the plan is to close the Austin office by end of this year. People let go so far are Artists, Engineers, and Designers working on the PU (!!!!!).

I don't have an opinion on this. But do you really think you had no influence on their Austin decision, or did you insert a "not" when you didn't mean to? I'm not disagreeing about the PU staff going, as far as I can see there's only one design developer there in addition to Tony Zurovec, plus a single producer and both of those seem rather new to their roles.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Ghostlight posted:

There's on old saying in the 'verse - fool me once shame on... shame on you, fool me; you can't get fooled again.

Mission Accomplished

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

atxsperg posted:

It's a real shame (and not at all surprising) the games industry does this. The rest of the software industry knows better than to blame peons for the failings of management. Because in a long enough career everyone is on a doomed project.

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

D_Smart posted:

I have told people the same thing. Some of the stuff I've heard - and which even The Escapist dared not commit to print - is just too surreal to be true. Somehow, some people simply can't even imagine that.

i hear you brother. when i debriefed people i knew about cig they were astonished. I would absolutely recommend unemployment over working there.
the paycheck is not worth the stress and crushing hostility of working there.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Nooo I missed page 3000

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

atxsperg posted:

this does line up with the scuttlebutt that CIG employees are trying to find jobs elsewhere but are being turned down precisely because they're coming from CIG

my condolences for the people still stuck in there

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Dusty Lens posted:

Done.

RIP duck avatar.
Ha-- awesome, thanks Dusty!

Gerblyn
Apr 4, 2007

"TO BATTLE!"
Fun Shoe

Iglocska posted:

My new PGP I've just created is one of the things I would never give out no matter what. It's not just about protecting another person, it's also about protecting myself of course.

lol

Anyways, say I believe you and I can trust you with all my darkest, juiciest email secrets, I'd still argue you were the exception and not the rule. The general advice of "Don't assume your secrets are safe since you sent them via encrypted email" still seems sound, since the majority are not like you.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Gerblyn posted:

lol

Anyways, say I believe you and I can trust you with all my darkest, juiciest email secrets, I'd still argue you were the exception and not the rule. The general advice of "Don't assume your secrets are safe since you sent them via encrypted email" still seems sound, since the majority are not like you.

Of course. But if I were to share my secrets with anyone, PGP is absolutely the method I'd use, if you can't trust the other person don't loving share secrets with him.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Iglocska posted:

I don't think you can insert your virginity into a PGP key.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Thoughts On VR Priority from a Rift CV1 Owner

This is a fantastic thread :allears:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

WhiskeyWhiskers posted:

These people are loving stupid and a lot of them are essentially using them as a savings account. Buying up cheap ships when they are able to, so that when a time limited sale comes up they can cash in their ships for store credit and get a bigger fancier ship regardless of when it happens in the month.

or money laundering.

cash + gift card + ship sale + refund/grey market/melt = clean cash

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

Dusty Lens posted:

So are you bailing out or did you bail out or did you get injected with some terrible poison from which you must daily milk the antidote from a cat chained to your desk.

i was milking cats long before cig.

Go-Gurt For Dinner
Jul 8, 2013
Posting from the past, having caught up all of yesterday. The thread that never sleeps.

As ELE looms large I give a fidelicious salute to all the real effort posters. Thank you all for making me laugh/cry on too many occasions to mention.

Keep on keeping on commandos.

SpunkyRedKnight
Oct 12, 2000

Why do I get the picture that a Star Citizen sim pit would be full of plastic balls.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to find them
Grimey Drawer

CIG HOLLYWOOD received their new rift recently

Going to be funny if Chris Roberts likes it.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Super vr evangelists vs super SC evangelists

I guess at least vr is something you can buy where some part of it exists

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

Holy crap I just cracked the code. EightAce, you must be retiring, there is no way you can ever work in the industry again after this.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

:rolleyes:

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

nopantsjack posted:

didnt elite get discounted to a tenner when horizons came out anyway?

I was a bit scandalised after I bought horizons and they announced another expansion soon after but IIRC you get the next 2 expansions included in that so now I'm chuffed at them.

They have not announced the next expansion after Horizons. Horizons is a year of updates, so anything that comes out for 2.X you will get with your purchase of Horizons. You might be confusing the Eng update with being an expansion (you get it with your purchase of Horizons). You should expect another Expansion to be announced by the end of this year, and if they follow the same pattern one at the end of the following years.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Lladre posted:

Holy crap I just cracked the code. EightAce, you must be retiring, there is no way you can ever work in the industry again after this.

Should we just post the solution and not drag this on?

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3
"the latest sandi gardiner comments explains the developments in "

Derek or Eightace - am I in the ballpark

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
Caught up with the post apocalyptic thread, shitpostin' on ELE day

Derek must be giddy as can be since today's the day he's said to watch for for the last week

Intrigued by the EightAce Code. On the one hand come on, this schtick again? But on the other hand it's EightAce not Derek, so it might be real

Okay well that's an update on my thread experience guys thanks for reading ~~

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

I use PGP every day too.

So then why are you confusing...

this:

you can send email that's encrypted while in transit, but it ends up being plain text when it arrives

with this:

And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem

They are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS

1) Email sent through various services (GMail, Outlook, Yahoo etc) are encrypted in transit. Can't be decoded if intercepted. It originates as plaint text from person A, is encrypted in transit automatically, and ends up as plaint text at person B

2) Email sent using PGP or similar, is encrypted at person A, while in transit, and at Person B. Both people MUST be using PGP in order to decode/read the message

ergo:

1) sending private comms in #1 does not encrypt it when it's NOT in transit. Which means anyone can read it either at point A or B; but NOT while in transit

2) sending private comms in #2 encrypts it every step of the way. The downside is that unless BOTH people are using PGP, it simply doesn't work

So, #1 is out. #2 requires both people, one of whom may not even know what PGP is, let alone how to use it, is NOT optimal for sharing private messages. Which is where the other services (which do NOT require ANY knowledge to use) I mentioned in my original post, come in.

In case you got lost at the water cooler, here, let me post it all again for you.

quote:

Pay attention:

Sending encrypted email has NOTHING to do with PGP as per my above comment.

You can send email that's encrypted - in transit. When it lands in the other person's inbox, it's in plaintext

And the point of my PGP comment is that BOTH you and the person, MUST be using PGP for it to be secure. And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem. Hence the reason that I pointed out the other ways to send private comms without requiring the other person to know ANYTHING about HOW to do it.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers

D_Smart posted:

LOL!! I know who that is :smug:

That had to have been Ben.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Eldragon posted:

Should we just post the solution and not drag this on?

yes

• Locked thread