Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

uPen posted:

Depends on where you live I guess? I never look at radar anything because it always just looks like this:

Oh no weather today, great. :geno:

I live in Denver, so our forecast is basically always "Sunshine".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I installed Chromer and my life changed

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Daztek posted:

Huh, that is pretty cool

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Daztek posted:

It's really great but I wish I could use a different browser than chrome. I want that adblock.

Tots
Sep 3, 2007

:frogout:
What's the use case for chromer? I'm not getting it.

Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

uPen posted:

Depends on where you live I guess? I never look at radar anything because it always just looks like this:

Oh no weather today, great. :geno:

It rained that one time, might happen again next year, keep checking

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tots posted:

What's the use case for chromer? I'm not getting it.

If you're on twitter or a reddit app etc and there's a link that you just want a quick look at, instead of launching and using your regular browser it'll just open an essentially temporary window. It just cuts down on a bunch of bullshit navigation time where you click a link in an app and it takes you to your browser which then loads the page, then you have to back out of your browser and re-launch the first app and hopefully it didn't reset its position in your feed.

With chromer, you just push the back button and that's it.

Vykk.Draygo
Jan 17, 2004

I say salesmen and women of the world unite!
That all sounds like exactly how Chrome already works for me.

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

Vykk.Draygo posted:

That all sounds like exactly how Chrome already works for me.

I kinda slides out from the side as if it was part of the app you are using, and then you can seamlessly go back to the app when you close it

It's pretty slick, and noticeably quicker

Also as it actually uses chrome you get all your saved passwords, cookies, history etc

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family
So Google went and further integrated Google Now reminders into Calendar; there's now a layer on the web side of Calendar for Reminders and it knocks off Tasks. If you want to see your Tasks you have to click the little arrow next to the Reminder layer label and tell it to switch.

I haven't used Tasks in forever but I know folks around here do, so, heads up.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Chrome custom tabs as implemented by Chromer are faster than Chrome.

That's not exactly enough to keep me using it, the next two things are what does it for me:

1. Because I have a ton of data on my mobile plan (though you can configure it to do this only on wifi), I really like the option where it scans everything you're looking at and pre-loads urls so if you click one of them it's already loaded. Here's hoping it's not uploading everything I look at to China.
2. You can stack up a bunch of links in floating Link Bubble style bubbles. So, for example, when I'm looking at my suggested Google Now stories, I can look through them, click the ones I want, and each one pops open another bubble. Then when I get to end of list, I can go through the bubbles and read the articles.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Thermopyle posted:

2. You can stack up a bunch of links in floating Link Bubble style bubbles. So, for example, when I'm looking at my suggested Google Now stories, I can look through them, click the ones I want, and each one pops open another bubble. Then when I get to end of list, I can go through the bubbles and read the articles.

It has seemed very hit or miss about loading the page in the background. This is what I liked about Link Bubble was loading several pages from Reddit Is Fun in to bubbles, and letting them load up while I read more headlines. Then opening the bubbles which will have fully loaded in the background.

Chromer seems to do this less than half of the time for me. I open a "web head" bubble and then the page starts loading.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Lowen SoDium posted:

It has seemed very hit or miss about loading the page in the background. This is what I liked about Link Bubble was loading several pages from Reddit Is Fun in to bubbles, and letting them load up while I read more headlines. Then opening the bubbles which will have fully loaded in the background.

Chromer seems to do this less than half of the time for me. I open a "web head" bubble and then the page starts loading.

Oh yeah, it does that for me as well. I'll stack 'em up and when I click them sometimes that's when they start to load. It's not ideal, but the loading of the bubbles in the background is only part of the utility to me...the main part of the utility is a reminder to look at this link when I'm done looking at what I'm looking at.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
What's a good tablet IRC client? I'm currently using Yaaic which was okay but it doesn't seem to want to stay connected when it's not the active app, which is really dumb for a chat program. One with a channel changer in a side pane on the screen like mIRC would be preferable

Also, what's a good general source for news about good new apps and games? I didn't realize how little people were exaggerating with how bad discovery is on mobile and I have no idea even how to sift through which blogs are reputable, let alone apps

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

flatluigi posted:

What's a good tablet IRC client? I'm currently using Yaaic which was okay but it doesn't seem to want to stay connected when it's not the active app, which is really dumb for a chat program. One with a channel changer in a side pane on the screen like mIRC would be preferable

AndChat will do that on a tablet.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

flatluigi posted:

Also, what's a good general source for news about good new apps and games? I didn't realize how little people were exaggerating with how bad discovery is on mobile and I have no idea even how to sift through which blogs are reputable, let alone apps

The best Android news blog is Android Police but they generally just cover news with weekly app/game roundups though, I don't know of any blogs focused specifically on just the apps and games. I would imagine such a blog would run out of poo poo to write about fairly quickly though, since most people just settle of a few good apps and don't venture out. By which I mean once you've heard of BeyondPod, PocketCasts, and Podcast Addict, you really don't need to look at other podcast apps and that holds true for most app types where there are a handful of well-known good apps from which to choose.

The best resource I've found is this thread, to be honest.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Don't forget about Grimbo!

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

flatluigi posted:

yyyep, looks like it's blocked. Any chance of a rooted solution?

Try foxfi. Running it on a non root 6p and it is not being blocked on Verizon

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
^ - Android Police is good for keeping a hand on the pulse of Android phones and gadgets. And i definitely recommend Pocket Casts. Queuing up multiple different podcasts is nice and easy.

What are some recommended apps for customizing the lock screen? 

I want it to show the temperature, as well as the current time; I don't need anything fancy.

Mister Facetious fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Apr 9, 2016

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

Thermopyle posted:

Don't forget about Grimbo!

THE definitive source for all things Android app related

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Skeezy posted:

This sounds awesome. Looking forward to it.

OTOH, both your computer and your phone have to be logged into your Microsoft account.

If that doesn't involve a Microsoft app on your phone, I'm guessing at the very least it will require you to re enable all the poo poo you disabled in Windows 10 so Microsoft can track everything you do.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

it seems a little odd to use Android and be concerned about a company tracking everything you do.

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

Mister Macys posted:

I want it to show the temperature, as well as the current time; I don't need anything fancy.

If that's all you need, then any weather app with a persistent notification should do the trick.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I got super annoyed with Google Maps yesterday. I decided to go for a road trip. GMaps gave me two routes: fast but boring and long but scenic. I chose the long route and set out. Instead of driving through town to the start of the scenic road, I took some fun roads around the perimeter. Every time I ignored a turn, GMaps would recalculate the route, but aim me toward the fast one and I had to reselect the long one.

Once I got onto the scenic road, every few minutes I got a pop up asking if I wanted to reroute myself to the fast road. No! I picked this one specifically!

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

Mister Macys posted:

And i definitely recommend Pocket Casts. Queuing up multiple different podcasts is nice and easy.

I've used pocketcasts for a while but realising recently you could listen to all podcasts at 1.4 speed and remove silence has really changed up my listening habits.I actually get through my weekly queue now.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy

Uthor posted:

I got super annoyed with Google Maps yesterday. I decided to go for a road trip. GMaps gave me two routes: fast but boring and long but scenic. I chose the long route and set out. Instead of driving through town to the start of the scenic road, I took some fun roads around the perimeter. Every time I ignored a turn, GMaps would recalculate the route, but aim me toward the fast one and I had to reselect the long one.

Once I got onto the scenic road, every few minutes I got a pop up asking if I wanted to reroute myself to the fast road. No! I picked this one specifically!

Yeah, this has been my primary complain about Maps since the beginning of time. Once it decides that this is the Holy Route That Thou Shalt Take, it will do everything in it's power to put you on that route no matter how many times you re-route or ignore it.

There are two paths to get to a nearby town that I have to go to a lot, and I prefer the 2nd, slower route because there's less merging and traffic. Despite me taking this route for years, and always ignoring Google or re-routing it, to this day it will loving try as hard as it can to get me onto the first route until there's no choice left but to go with my selection.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Beating up the wrong guy
Unrelated to Google Maps: I got the Viewmaster VR kit for Cardboard. What are some cool VR apps to use with it?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Require More Fire posted:

Yeah, this has been my primary complain about Maps since the beginning of time. Once it decides that this is the Holy Route That Thou Shalt Take, it will do everything in it's power to put you on that route no matter how many times you re-route or ignore it.

There are two paths to get to a nearby town that I have to go to a lot, and I prefer the 2nd, slower route because there's less merging and traffic. Despite me taking this route for years, and always ignoring Google or re-routing it, to this day it will loving try as hard as it can to get me onto the first route until there's no choice left but to go with my selection.

Waze is much better about learning and sticking to a preferred route.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

fishmech posted:

Waze is much better about learning and sticking to a preferred route.

Does it still look like it was drawn with a box of crayola's by Michael J Fox?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Maker Of Shoes posted:

Does it still look like it was drawn with a box of crayola's by Michael J Fox?

I don't know, you tell me:

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

What in the gently caress are those icons supposed to represent? A dead fish and a sunflower with a shield?

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!

KICK BAMA KICK posted:

What in the gently caress are those icons supposed to represent? A dead fish and a sunflower with a shield?

It's the avatar icon of other people using the app. Easy enough to turn off what's displayed in the settings.

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Waze is fantastic.

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I need to know what lane to be on when I'm on a highway and need to make an exit eventually, because otherwise I'll be confused.

So I use Google maps! It looks better too. also one time Waze wanted me to go on the cars only lane of the turnpike versus the truck+car lane I was already on so badly that it wanted me to go all the way back to where I was before to do it again

poxin
Nov 16, 2003

Why yes... I am full of stars!
I leave Waze open in the background for police alerts and use Maps for navigation. Or Waze exclusively when trying to find the best route during rush hour.

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

Require More Fire posted:

Why do you need Google maps for a route you take often, though? I think Google maps is there as a way to route people from point a to point b as fast as possible, especially when they are in unfamiliar territory.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Waze is really good in ways that Maps is not and vice versa. Overall I end up using Maps because where it's better than Waze ends up being the most important for me.

Really though, it's hard to go wrong with either unless one is just really bad at something important to you.

(this completely generic review can also work for any two apps... but also reflects my honest opinion about Waze vs Maps)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I wish I could combine Maps with Here. I like Here a lot more, mostly for the offline ability and for being able to know what the speed limit is wherever I am. The one killer feature that Maps has is the lane indicator, though.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

Stevie Lee posted:

I wish I could combine Maps with Here. I like Here a lot more, mostly for the offline ability and for being able to know what the speed limit is wherever I am. The one killer feature that Maps has is the lane indicator, though.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.pluscubed.velociraptor

This works great. Overlays speed limits onto Google Maps. Until Google figures out how to do this, we have this. It works really good and is free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

poxin posted:

It's the avatar icon of other people using the app. Easy enough to turn off what's displayed in the settings.
Oh that makes more sense. I was trying to interpret them like places of interest, maybe a seafood restaurant with bad reviews.