Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to get these apps from showing up in my start menu?

Contact Support
Cortana
Windows Feedback

Still looking for a way to do this. Can't find anything on Google. There must be some kind of sysadmin option to disable these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ILikeVoltron
May 17, 2003

I <3 spyderbyte!
While we're on the discussion of Start Menu, anybody figure out a way to get the start search function to find EXE's? I run putty and having to click on it rather than just type "Start -> pu -> return" really throws me off.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised this hasn't come up yet, but honest-to-goodness Bash is coming to Windows in the upcoming Anniversary Update: http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/03/ubuntus-bash-and-linux-command-line-coming-to-windows-10/

Ars Technica posted:

Our understanding is that these are not recompiled or ported versions of the programs (as are used in tools aiming to provide a Unix-like environment on Windows such as Cygwin) but instead unmodified programs. Microsoft is describing this in terms of providing a Linux-like command-line environment at the moment, but from what we can gather, there's little fundamental restriction to this, potentially opening the door to running a wide range of Linux programs natively on Windows.

I'm really looking forward to this, but only if they're able to address the issue with Explorer choking on filepaths longer than 255 characters. I got so sick of having to manually collapse node's clusterfuck of recursively duplicated node_modules that I switched to Linux on my daily-use laptop. I guess the real culprit is Explorer, but still, any command line tool is better than Command Prompt.

Factor Mystic
Mar 20, 2006

Baby's First Post-Apocalyptic Fiction

IAmKale posted:

any command line tool is better than Command Prompt.

If you mean the cmd shell, sure I guess but really what you want is tools in your path. Plus there's already powershell. If you mean the conhost terminal, you'll still be using that with the ubuntu subsystem. Luckily, there's alternate terminals that run whatever shell you want, like conemu.

Also, if you want to try out linux on windows without VMs today, flinux already does dynamic binary translation. It's arch linux though, not ubuntu.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Boris Galerkin posted:

Is there a way to get these apps from showing up in my start menu?

Contact Support
Cortana
Windows Feedback

There is a GPO for disabling Cortana. I believe the app tile also disappears when the function is disabled. At least it doesn't appear for me since MS doesn't support Cortana in my locale yet.

The other two can perhaps be blocked by AppLocker.

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Tapedump posted:

Windows 10 alone does thing or do earlier versions as well?

From what I read, this was introduced in Windows 8, but I never ran it, so I can't confirm.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Skype for Businesses doesn't even work with HiDPI support :(

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I'm doing a major update to my computer next week (new MB, CPU and RAM) and I just want to be sure that Windows 10 is going to play nice, I remember people saying poo poo about not being able to transfer your license between computers around launch and I imagine that an update this big will count as a 'new' computer. Is any of that true?

I updated from Win 7, non-OEM disc-in-box version.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Upgrade to Windows 10 using your Windows 7 key on your new hardware.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Veotax posted:

I'm doing a major update to my computer next week (new MB, CPU and RAM) and I just want to be sure that Windows 10 is going to play nice, I remember people saying poo poo about not being able to transfer your license between computers around launch and I imagine that an update this big will count as a 'new' computer. Is any of that true?

I updated from Win 7, non-OEM disc-in-box version.

Dead Goon posted:

Yup, you'll have to use the media creation tool to make an ISO of the latest windows build (the older builds won't auth against old keys, but the newer builds will) so you can use your windows 7 key, but otherwise you should be fine.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Just make sure you get your hardware finalized before the free upgrade window ends, in August or September of this year!

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

I've had Windows 10 since it was released, but I've recently decided to try setting up Cortana. I've got through to the part where it asks me to set up my microphone, and I read the sentence about Peter and pens, and it says I'm done and I press Finish, but then when I return to Cortana, it asks me to 'pick back up' and set up my microphone, as if I never did the exercise. Is there something I'm missing?

CaptainQuirk
May 9, 2009

Dead Goon posted:

I am in a similar situation, except I plan to get entirely new machine instead of upgrading the old one.

However, I would like to keep the old one as well, so the question is: what happens to the win7 installation on old machine if I use it's key to install win10 on the new one?

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh

WattsvilleBlues posted:

Good to know, thanks.

Has anyone got the updated Outlook.com/Hotmail web interface yet? I'm still looking at the 2012 version.

Anyone?

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Is it normal for the Media Creation Tool to sit at "Creating Windows 10 media: 50%" for two hours?

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?
pretty much

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Discombobulator posted:

Is it normal for the Media Creation Tool to sit at "Creating Windows 10 media: 50%" for two hours?

Windows 10 is still only about 50% finished so that checks out.

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face
Is there any way to get Cortana to do anything relatively useful like shut down my PC or adjust the volume or does she just open Bing for the Weather and schedule appointments right now?

Astrobastard
Dec 31, 2008

Winky Face

Discombobulator posted:

Ive reinstalled multiple PCs over the past month and never seen it hang for that long :O I did however have one issue where the Media Creation Tool *and* the Win10 boot installation from BIOS would hang on 17% and 8% repectively for about 30 minutes and would only work when I disconnected the 2 other SATA drives and reconnected them after successful win10 installation (was clean installing to brand new SSD). Was from a usb 3 flashdrive

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Astrobastard posted:

Is there any way to get Cortana to do anything relatively useful like shut down my PC or adjust the volume or does she just open Bing for the Weather and schedule appointments right now?
Shutdown is coming in Anniversary update

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Astrobastard posted:

Pretty much quick math and currency conversions are the most use Cortana gets on my computer. The package tracking is about halfway to useful.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Just got an email about Insider build 14295 -- anyone know if it might happen to have the Bash shell? All the promotional info I can find is about bugfix crap so probably not. I just really want that thing ASAP

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
No, it's the same build as what came out before Build. You can use it to access some of the new SDK features (like deploying stuff to the Xbox, or some of the new controls they showed off). But that's it.

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
For the past 2 months, I've had like a 20 second hang time when I right click on files and directories? I've been looking for solutions for forever and can't find one. Any solutions?

When I right click the desktop, it's fine. Just on files in the File Explorer. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing

Grump posted:

For the past 2 months, I've had like a 20 second hang time when I right click on files and directories? I've been looking for solutions for forever and can't find one. Any solutions?

When I right click the desktop, it's fine. Just on files in the File Explorer. WHAT THE FUUUUUUUUUCK

Try sysinternals autoruns and start disabling non Microsoft context menu stuff until it goes away

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
How do I get Windows Defender to automatically scan when it needs to? Currently it just pops up a notification going "Hey, I'd like to run" and I have to run it manually.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

hooah posted:

How do I get Windows Defender to automatically scan when it needs to? Currently it just pops up a notification going "Hey, I'd like to run" and I have to run it manually.

I've never had it ask, but that might be because I used Task Scheduler to make Defender scan every day at 3 AM?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I believe Defender will scan when nothing else is going on, or minimal CPU usage. If you turn your PC on, play games, then turn it off it won't scan. If you leave it on all night, it'll scan.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Ok, yeah, this is my laptop so if I'm not using it I close the lid, causing it to hibernate. Will scheduling a scan with Task Scheduler properly wake it up and put it back into hibernate after the scan?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't think so, but you can try and see what happens.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

hooah posted:

Ok, yeah, this is my laptop so if I'm not using it I close the lid, causing it to hibernate. Will scheduling a scan with Task Scheduler properly wake it up and put it back into hibernate after the scan?

I would suggest that you turn off having it hibernate automatically on screen close, and instead have it set to "do nothing" when screen closes and then have it set so it sleeps or hibernates after an hour without use. That way, it'll have plenty of opportunity to do scans while idle.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

So... Will I kill my 6-7 year old PC if I upgrade from win8 to 10? It's got an i5 cpu and an ATI 7600 graphics card.

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.
If win 8 works fine, win 10 should, too.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Nostratic posted:

So... Will I kill my 6-7 year old PC if I upgrade from win8 to 10? It's got an i5 cpu and an ATI 7600 graphics card.

If it's new enough to have an i5 in it, it'll be fine in Windows 10, unless you've got something really old attached to it.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Drastic Actions posted:

No, it's the same build as what came out before Build. You can use it to access some of the new SDK features (like deploying stuff to the Xbox, or some of the new controls they showed off). But that's it.

New insider build has Bash included, and a bunch of other stuff. :woop:

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Grump posted:

What AV are you using? Either way, most of thew times I've seen this it's the enthusiastic default power settings spinning down the hard disk. Power Options >Choose the power plan you are using >Change advanced power settings >Hard disk >Turn off hard disk after type in Never. Also, might want to clear your thumbnail cache if you haven't done it recently.

Eletriarnation
Apr 6, 2005

People don't appreciate the substance of things...
objects in space.

Oven Wrangler

Nostratic posted:

Windows 10 runs fine on a 12 year old single core and the AMD 7000 series is fully supported.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home
I installed 10 on a machine with a q6600/2GB/Radeon 3100. Had to futz with the graphics drivers but that's it. For basic desktop stuff I doubt I could tell the difference between it and my x-treme gamer rig. It certainly runs better now than with the Vista that it came with.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

The Milkman posted:

I installed 10 on a machine with a q6600/2GB/Radeon 3100. Had to futz with the graphics drivers but that's it. For basic desktop stuff I doubt I could tell the difference between it and my x-treme gamer rig. It certainly runs better now than with the Vista that it came with.

ah the q6600.. good memories with that cpu. I bought the Special Goon Deal Edition Dell in 2008 that had that cpu in it and just threw the fucker out this weekend because it was fried :( R.I.P. old friend

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
I can't get on the Insider program. I go to Windows Update and tell it to "Get started" on the builds, but after a restart the option hasn't changed. I'm running a fully patched Windows 10 x64. Any ideas on how to proceed?

Edit: Nevermind, I made a new user account and it worked through that.

WattsvilleBlues fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Apr 6, 2016