Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Eldragon posted:

Should we just post the solution and not drag this on?

Yes Please

SomethingJones fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 6, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

THe hint, when broken into 2 character intervals then converted to ASCII provides a dutch sentence that translates to english as "The mad doctor leads the way"

So then you take the top part and post it into DSmarts blog and you get this link:

http://www.dereksmart.org/3/35/101/21/10/5/14/6/34/1/23/22/4/29/9/19/2/11

aka: http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/reply/2000/11/

Translation: Smart is right, and the FTC is going after chris and sandy for misspending crowdfunding dollars. Nothing we didn't suspect really. But its big news and I can't wait for it to go public.

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

D_Smart posted:

So then why are you confusing...

this:

you can send email that's encrypted while in transit, but it ends up being plain text when it arrives

with this:

And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem

They are two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT THINGS

1) Email sent through various services (GMail, Outlook, Yahoo etc) are encrypted in transit. Can't be decoded if intercepted. It originates as plaint text from person A, is encrypted in transit automatically, and ends up as plaint text at person B

2) Email sent using PGP or similar, is encrypted at person A, while in transit, and at Person B. Both people MUST be using PGP in order to decode/read the message

ergo:

1) sending private comms in #1 does not encrypt it when it's NOT in transit. Which means anyone can read it either at point A or B; but NOT while in transit

2) sending private comms in #2 encrypts it every step of the way. The downside is that unless BOTH people are using PGP, it simply doesn't work

So, #1 is out. #2 requires both people, one of whom may not even know what PGP is, let alone how to use it, is NOT optimal for sharing private messages. Which is where the other services (which do NOT require ANY knowledge to use) I mentioned in my original post, come in.

In case you got lost at the water cooler, here, let me post it all again for you.

Confirmed: Derek will argue about anything, is a goon.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Eldragon posted:

THe hint, when broken into 2 character intervals then converted to ASCII provides a dutch sentence that translates to english as "The mad doctor leads the way"

So then you take the top part and post it into DSmarts blog and you get this link:

Translation: Smart is right, and the FTC is going after chris and sandy for misspending crowdfunding dollars. Nothing we didn't suspect really. But its big news and I can't wait for it to go public.

I posted that earlier and was told it was wrong so no bananas for you son

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

I don't think he intended for it to be cracked so quickly. He should decide to reveal it.

Instead here is a short vid of my catte reading the something awful forums pet page.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bKq3g6JZPC8

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Gerblyn posted:

I'm sure they've never heard that one before. It's nice to imagine yourself stonewalling a judge to protect your privacy, but when you're actually sat in court or being interviewed by a federal agent, do you really think you'd do it? When they threaten you with obstruction or contempt of court, will you really not waver? What if you're not the one who's at risk, but the email's sender?

Life is not a movie, the majority of people will not defy the system to protect another person when they realize their livelihood is at risk.

:agreed:

Last year, I got wind that RSI/CIG had a private detective (we discussed that in this thread about 1000 pages ago; even doxed him; since posting work info is apparently doxing now) going around looking for a mole. Of course he never found one because, well, people aren't entirely loving idiots. But, get this, several people have told me that they were actually being threatened with legal action if they didn't turn over their digital devices, social media accounts etc, so they could be "cleared" of any wrong-doing.

Yes, it's 100% illegal to attempt to gain access to someone's personal space/device, without permission. And threatening them with legal action for refusing, is also legally actionable.

They all give him the finger.

Last I checked, they no longer work there.

Kilmers Elbow
Jun 15, 2012

Eldragon posted:

Should we just post the solution and not drag this on?

As long as it's the final solution.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Eldragon posted:

SomethingJones posted:

Yep, and getting that forum post seems pure coincidence, I've found no way to go from a http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/reply/2000/11/ url to a http://www.dereksmart.org/3/35/101/21/10/5/14/6/34/1/23/22/4/29/9/19/2/11 url

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
nope

I have no interest in speculative info or stuff you already know.
Here is another clue:

' 11'

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

this:

you can send email that's encrypted while in transit, but it ends up being plain text when it arrives

with this:

1) Email sent through various services (GMail, Outlook, Yahoo etc) are encrypted in transit. Can't be decoded if intercepted. It originates as plaint text from person A, is encrypted in transit automatically, and ends up as plaint text at person B

2) Email sent using PGP or similar, is encrypted at person A, while in transit, and at Person B. Both people MUST be using PGP in order to decode/read the message

ergo:

1) sending private comms in #1 does not encrypt it when it's NOT in transit. Which means anyone can read it either at point A or B; but NOT while in transit

2) sending private comms in #2 encrypts it every step of the way. The downside is that unless BOTH people are using PGP, it simply doesn't work

So, #1 is out. #2 requires both people, one of whom may not even know what PGP is, let alone how to use it, is NOT optimal for sharing private messages. Which is where the other services (which do NOT require ANY knowledge to use) I mentioned in my original post, come in.

In case you got lost at the water cooler, here, let me post it all again for you.

Derek, please take your meds and post a picture of a cat or dog.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

SomethingJones posted:

Well poo poo. oh well. Sorry I missed it, thread moves too fast.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

EightAce posted:

nope

Here is another clue:

' 11'

Spinal Tap's Marshalls?

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

AP posted:

Derek you said "they are not keeping it open to spite me."

Yet on your link you said.

I don't have an opinion on this. But do you really think you had no influence on their Austin decision, or did you insert a "not" when you didn't mean to? I'm not disagreeing about the PU staff going, as far as I can see there's only one design developer there in addition to Tony Zurovec, plus a single producer and both of those seem rather new to their roles.

Not sure what you're trying to say here. I do not - for one second - believe that they would foolishly keep an office open to spite me. That would be too crazy to comprehend.

If sources tell me that the plan was to close it by year end, but then they didn't; instead they down-sized it significantly, I don't see how that amounts to them keeping it open to spite me. Things change all the time. The source could have been wrong. The source could have been right, but they changed (like that's unheard of with these clowns) their mind along the way. We will never know. What we DO know is that they down-sized it significantly. And now, they are using it as a skeleton team for Tony's PU and QA. My guess is that they probably had no choice but to keep a small crew there or they would have lost the people who didn't want to move to LA or to the UK.

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

EightAce posted:

nope

Here is another clue:

' 11'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FFRoYhTJQQ

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

EightAce posted:

nope

Here is another clue:

' 11'

Crobber has abandoned SC and sq42 and is making a sequel to FMV game The 11th Guest.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

D_Smart posted:

this:

with this:

ergo:

Derek I am not confusing anything. You said that PGP is only safe if both parties are using it, which is a requirement to use PGP in the first place. There is no "it's only safe if" - you can either use it or not.

BTW, 1) is also wrong. It's not user A: plaintext -> encrypted -> user B: plaintext. It is actually user A: plaintext -> encrypted -> gmail: plaintext -> encrypted -> yahoo: plaintext -> encrypted -> user B: plaintext, so it is much worse than you describe it ;)

Or in some cases you can end up with:

user A: plaintext -> encrypted -> gmail: plaintext* -> encrypted -> yahoo: plaintext -> encrypted -> user B: plaintext

*: -> gmail backup servers off-site unencrypted

If you want more information about encryption / securing your messages let me know.

Iglocska fucked around with this message at 16:03 on Apr 6, 2016

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

EightAce posted:

nope

Here is another clue:

' 11'

Roberts has been recorded on a police helicopter's infrared camera buggering 11 herons in a cocaine-fuelled rampage.

Madcosby
Mar 4, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

EightAce posted:

nope

Here is another clue:

' 11'

there's going to be 11 more pages of nothing?

reddit star citizen thread officially better than this one

yall have become what you mocked

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Wing Commander Wing Commander WING COMMANDER

Dear Ben, I don't understand why some people give you a break for being a lardass. First of all being a lardass shouldn't make the poo poo you do any less detestable and you were already a despicable rear end in a top hat before you turned into the Blob anyway. The tragic thing about you is that a smarter man in the position of a devoted fan that wanted the project to succeed would have made sure the community was healthy. A machiavellian devoted fan that realized Chris was loving everything up if left unchecked would have used his moderation and sockpuppets to manipulate the community into demanding true transparency and keeping some tabs on Chris. Some other person could have used the power you were given in direct and indirect ways to further Star Citizen but unfortunately you were born to be a toady. Either that or you have some weird religious or sexual thing going on for Chris in which case seek some counseling to clear things up.
I hope one day you realize that you used the power you had so ineptly that in effect you created the perfect soil for Chris to spread his wings and truly be himself. You are in large part to blame for the failure of all your dreams.

gently caress you Ben. Myself I think you are a shitheel, always were, always will be. It's a good thing you are a disgusting sack of poo poo otherwise I'd have to go to the trouble of coming up with something else to mock you.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

S. syrtensis!

There's something really freaky about the concept of animals that never see sunlight. It's neato but super creepy.

Also in this case slightly inaccurate, because S. syrtensis sometimes hangs out in the Mesopelagic Zone, where just a tiny bit of light reaches (commonly called the Twilight Zone)

Also, did anybody figure out Lando's EightAces supersecret yet? I gotta get off this marine bio kick.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Beet Wagon posted:

S. syrtensis!

Also, did anybody figure out Lando's EightAces supersecret yet? I gotta get off this marine bio kick.

Nah, stay on it. Marine life is rad af.

Full Metal Boxers
Feb 20, 2007

COME LITTLE BITCOIN.... COME MY WAY.....IN THE MID NIGHT HOUR... I YELL NO NO NO... WITH A REBEL YELL I YELL MORE MORE MORE.... BIT COIN... I WANT TO FUCK YOU
Is it just me, or does the weird DerekShip from the old Battlecruiser 3000AD cover look really reminiscent of the Rapiers from the WC movie? Vaguely similar shape... Twin tail-mount engines... Comically oversized nose cannon... I can't be the only one seeing this, right?

Derek Smart and Chris Roberts are the same person confirmed ITT. The pieces suddenly fit together. :tinfoil:

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Skellybones posted:

Derek, please take your meds and post a picture of a cat or dog.

I already took my meds.

So here's a picture of a cat

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

Beet Wagon posted:

S. syrtensis!

There's something really freaky about the concept of animals that never see sunlight. It's neato but super creepy.

Also in this case slightly inaccurate, because S. syrtensis sometimes hangs out in the Mesopelagic Zone, where just a tiny bit of light reaches (commonly called the Twilight Zone)

Here's my question - if these creatures are in almost total blackess and have eyes which are extremely sensitive, why do we send submersibles down with big loving lights to blind them?

No idea on eightace's riddle, he has a space in the ' 11' which I don't know what the gently caress

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Iglocska posted:

Derek I am not confusing anything. You said that PGP is only safe if both parties are using it, which is a requirement to use PGP in the first place. There is no "it's only safe if" - you can either use it or not.

No. I. DID. NOT.

Here is everything I said:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&pagenumber=3010&perpage=40#post458366473

quote:

Yes, pretty much. They can subpoena web forum postings. Not that it would do them any good, because it would be virtually impossible to connect user names to IP addresses.

The biggest flaw is that, anyone buying avatars here on SA, would need to use a credit card, PayPal etc. That can be tied to a web forum account and the original owner can be uncovered easily. A gift card makes it a bit harder, but unless you paid cash for the gift card, it can be traced to a person.

The other thing is that they can't issue a subpoena without an active lawsuit. So they'd have to sue someone (even a bunch of John Doe) in order to get that from a judge. They simply cannot issue a blanket subpoena without providing some info as to who/what they're searching for. Only the US govt. can do that when they issue such subpoenas for IP address info etc.

Which is precisely why I always tell sources, if you're going to post about anything online, use a browser proxy, Tor etc, don't buy anything etc. And use something like Lockbin.com, privnote.com or noteshred.com to pass along throw-away sensitive data.

And, no, you shouldn't be using email encrypted comms because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked. Plus, you can't rely on the other party to have an end-point (e.g. PGP) key.

In case it wasn't obvious, deleted text messages on every phone can be recovered by every digital forensics team on the planet. If the judge grants a subpoena, or you turn over your devices willingly (you'd be a loving idiot to do that, knowing how DIFFICULT it is for a judge to grant them such a subpoena without cause) - and you have incriminating stuff on it and which rises to the level of a breach of your work NDA; you're hosed.

Important note:

- saying your boss is a loving moron isn't an NDA breach. it's free speech opinion. you're in the clear.

- saying your boss is ripping off the company isn't an NDA breach. it's defamation. you're hosed if it's false.

- saying that the work being done on the game is hosed, is a breach of an NDA. you're hosed either way since it's related to work.

First rule of spycraft. Trust no-one. Not even the person you're giving stuff to; unless you really trust them, or you trust someone who vouches for, and trusts them.

e.g. I gave this Star Citizen story to various media (contrary to Spergs belief, The Escapist was not one of them) outlets, all but two opted to bury the story. Then they came calling when The Escapist story hit. I ignored them. And when this poo poo-show finally explodes, I'm going to be naming names, dates, details etc. I'm going to loving burn all of them to the ground for being complicit. I have it on good authority that at least one writer for a major gaming outlet, revealed one of my sources to RSI/CIG. Funny thing is, I found out from another source inside RSI/CIG.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

D_Smart posted:

I already took my meds.

So here's a picture of a cat

Yes... This pleases Ming.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Here's my question - if these creatures are in almost total blackess and have eyes which are extremely sensitive, why do we send submersibles down with big loving lights to blind them?

No idea on eightace's riddle, he has a space in the ' 11' which I don't know what the gently caress

Basically this:

ShineDog
May 21, 2007
It is inevitable!
Oh my god get a room already

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Beet Wagon posted:

Basically this:

Cool a meme thanks man this is what i want

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

quote:

And the point of my PGP comment is that BOTH you and the person, MUST be using PGP for it to be secure. And if the person doesn't use PGP, or know how to, then you have a problem.

Here it says exactly that. Both parties have to be using PGP for it to be secure. That's like saying that you can only change the volume during a phone call if both parties have a phone.

Also

quote:

And, no, you shouldn't be using email encrypted comms because as long as it is stored, it can be cracked. Plus, you can't rely on the other party to have an end-point (e.g. PGP) key.

Here again, if you can't rely on the other party having a PGP key, how the gently caress do you want to send a PGP encrypted message to them? Derek please, this is just embarrassing :(

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT

SomethingJones posted:

Because our eyes are not extremely sensitive.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Pop and Loch Nessy posted:

Cool a meme thanks man this is what i want

I felt the overwhelming urge to poo poo up the thread a little bit more. Derek arguing over email encryption wasn't doing it for me.

Plus I couldn't find a decent video clip :negative:

SomethingJones
Mar 6, 2016

<3

notoriousman posted:

Because our eyes are not extremely sensitive.

Blind them all, blind them with lazors
gently caress them fishes

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

EightAce posted:

nope

Here is another clue:

' 11'

Well I'm stumped. TIme to get back to work and hopefully a smarter goon solves it.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer

D_Smart posted:

Not sure what you're trying to say here. I do not - for one second - believe that they would foolishly keep an office open to spite me. That would be too crazy to comprehend.

If sources tell me that the plan was to close it by year end, but then they didn't; instead they down-sized it significantly, I don't see how that amounts to them keeping it open to spite me. Things change all the time. The source could have been wrong. The source could have been right, but they changed (like that's unheard of with these clowns) their mind along the way. We will never know. What we DO know is that they down-sized it significantly. And now, they are using it as a skeleton team for Tony's PU and QA. My guess is that they probably had no choice but to keep a small crew there or they would have lost the people who didn't want to move to LA or to the UK.

Ok thanks, understood, I laughed at "That would be too crazy to comprehend", this is Star Citizen after all.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SomethingJones posted:

Blind them all, blind them with lazors
gently caress them fishes

I mean, to be fair, better to get blasted by huge lights than put into a box and exploded because someone decided you should be a surface octopus instead.

radd
Jun 16, 2001

Super Spacefortress

Wafflz posted:

Spinal Tap's Marshalls?

How much blacker can the 'verse get?

None.

None more black.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
CIG as an entity sucks.

The guy paid to read this thread sucks too.

I kind of hope the eventual class action suit goes after all these jerks who were "just doing their job".

PS, your job is sleazy and morally corrupt. You are not a good person.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
Has the Stimpire guy written any more stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

2.3.1e patch notes

* Made some tweaks to landing procedures.
* Made some additional adjustments to server back end for performance.
* Fixed a client crash.

Keep up the hard work, CIG!

• Locked thread