Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

His vision was saved by needing to read the massively lovely tie in novel to one of the shittiest movies ever made based on a video game series that was massively over rated. Truly a miracle, Praise be unto crobberts, indeed.

Our Croberts, which art in Santa Monica,
hallowed be thy shell corporations.
Thy Kickstarter come,
thy will be done,
in Austin as it is in the 'verse.
Give us this day our daily jpeg,
and forgive us our shitposts,
as we forgive those that shitpost against us.
And lead us not into bankruptcy proceedings,
but deliver us from DSmart.
For thine is the dream,
the crowdfunding, and the refactoring,
forever and ever.
Paaaarrp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Renegret
May 26, 2007

THANK YOU FOR CALLING HELP DOG, INC.

YOUR POSITION IN THE QUEUE IS *pbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbt*

Cat Army Sworn Enemy
oh my god shut up nobody cares about PARP e-mail encryption let's just laugh at some space ships and look at cats okay thank you

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015
Just had a quick glance at stuff on /r/starcitizen. Got to love all that realism that goes into this game.

About the Gladius vs the Hornet:

quote:

It was first used in 2579, which means it was 365 years old when the Hornet was released to the public.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4dk0zi/discussion_does_anyone_else_feel_like_the_balance/d1rozik

So in the future we'll be using the same spaceships / space-jets for 365 years? Holy poo poo.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Iglocska posted:

Just had a quick glance at stuff on /r/starcitizen. Got to love all that realism that goes into this game.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/4dk0zi/discussion_does_anyone_else_feel_like_the_balance/d1rozik

So in the future we'll be using the same spaceships / space-jets for 365 years? Holy poo poo.

But remember, they're gonna make a new model every spaceyear because something about Ford Focuses.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Iglocska posted:

If Star Wars has taught us anything it's that the highest level of progress sci-fi universes can hope to achieve is 'stagnation'.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Made some tweaks to landing procedures.
* Made some additional adjustments to server back end for performance.
* Fixed a client crash.

Keep up the hard work, CIG!

That's the sum of it, Beet? For real?

It's like patch notes for an iPhone app update.

Iglocska
Nov 23, 2015

Beet Wagon posted:

But remember, they're gonna make a new model every spaceyear because something about Ford Focuses.

Seriously, imagine how someone (CR) at CIG said: We need more realism for the FPS part, make sure the camera bobs the same way as the player's head! Oh and make sure that people in-game fly ~400 year old tech. Such immersion!

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

G0RF posted:

For really real. Just that and the same poo poo about the Starfarer and hangars that has been there since the last patch:

* Players on the PTU who both have the Revel & York Hangar and do not have the Starfarer will find themselves directed into the Revel & York Hangar.
* Regardless of hangar selected on the website.

Dudes didn't even bother fixing any doors this time.

Palisader
Mar 14, 2012

DESPAIR MORTALS, FOR I WISH TO PLAY PATTY-CAKE

G0RF posted:

It's really giving some weight to the idea that they're mostly abandoning the PU in favor of SQ42. The notes I made after updating some documents this morning are more robust. I mean, there's not even enough there for them to attempt to stretch it out into several pages by just repeating everything.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Fixed a client crash.

Never not funny

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Fixed a client crash.

Wow, that is really impressive, they sure are proving the doubters wrong with progress like this! At this rate I can't wait for Star Citizen to release in two weeks.

ZenMaster
Jan 24, 2006

I Saved PC Gaming

Ok, that was genuinely hilarious.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Fixed a client crash.

The best part about these fixes is that nobody can prove they did anything at all. There are no landing "procedures" so nobody would even know what constitutes a "tweak." Back-end server performance adjustments are also nicely invisible. "Fixed a client crash" can't be proven, because everything crashes the client. I would not be one bit surprised if nothing actually happened at all.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh, since I remember the Vive being heralded as the ~true VR~ thing that the Citizens were saying SC would totally rule on, and that they hate EVE Valkyrie for the silliest of reasons this article is relevant.

http://www.engadget.com/2016/04/05/eve-valkyrie-is-coming-to-the-htc-vive-this-year/

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

New series of videoGaiden is up on YouTube.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Fried Sushi posted:

Wow, that is really impressive, they sure are proving the doubters wrong with progress like this! At this rate I can't wait for Star Citizen to release in two weeks.

From the patch notes thread:

Daztek posted:

Never not funny

Well it's down from 30gb so I guess technically that's an improvement?

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Beet Wagon posted:

The Star Citizen universe setting always makes me think of the short story The Road Not Taken. Haven't read it, but the gist of it is that space-faring aliens invade present day earth with primitive black powder weapons. It turns out that the secret of interstellar travel is really simple and we somehow missed it, so developed increasingly convoluted technologies to solve problems. Star Citizen is so that, with it's warp drives or whatever, but people still using firearms with cased ammunition.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Daztek posted:

Never not funny

Tweeked landing procedure and fixed a client crash = 10GB.

So the pak files are 2GB each. The main executable is 50Meg or so and is negligible. So somehow fixing the landing procedure is 10 Gigs.

Sadly, that makes sense, if they fixed the procedure on many ships that could be around 10GB since they are scattered in around 5 pak files.

It's this rapid pace of development and efficiency which sets the bar high and is the pinnacle in development. Rockstar is way behind.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

MeLKoR posted:

I wasn't around at the time but I take it as a given that instead of doing the things he said he'd do in this part Ben just kept purging goons at any excuse. How wrong am I?

Well he unbanned Lauresh and the thread was allowed to continue, but he never named the moderator and to my knowledge not a single loving thing changed.

TODD BONZALEZ
Jul 3, 2010

Daztek posted:

Never not funny

lol

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

How can an entire company be that incompetent and not have everyone die in a freak elevator accident on a daily basis?

Berious
Nov 13, 2005

Daztek posted:

Never not funny

Thank god they didn't update a door!

Sillybones
Aug 10, 2013

go away,
spooky skeleton,
go away
Is the thread being recreated when the E.L.E materialises? Kinda sucks hanging around in a holding pattern.

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

Beet Wagon posted:

2.3.1e patch notes

* Fixed a client crash.

Are they still pretending to have more than one guy working on this?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Sillybones posted:

Is the thread being recreated when the E.L.E materialises? Kinda sucks hanging around in a holding pattern.

welcome to the star citizen experience

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Pebergehund posted:

Are they still pretending to have more than one guy working on this?

This is just bug fixes for the live version, all the other devs are hard at work on 2.4

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Quoting this reddit post in it's entirety because Star Citizen Will Never Be VR Compatible...

As if Chris needed more reasons to rage...

Thoughts On VR Priority from a Rift CV1 Owner

quote:

I posted this in a thread yesterday, but I've seen so many posts since then saying things like "VR is a gimmick", "VR is a passing fad", and "they can do it later" that I feel it is necessary to make a post dedicated to this for higher visibility.

First, if someone from CIG reads this (maybe you, /u/banditloaf), please build a sim pit with a CV1 and an X-55 in the same layout as the ships in Elite: Dangerous and get Chris Roberts in it playing E:D for just one hour. I would be very surprised if that does not change development priorities. I know it changed my opinions.

For everybody saying that VR isn't a priority: I get where you are coming from. I was with you a week ago. I posted about it. I had the DK1 and thought that while it was kind of cool, it was not a disruptive technology and could end up being just a gimmick. Then I got my CV1 and my opinion changed very fast.

Below is the post I made yesterday, and I will follow it up with further thoughts on why they need to prioritize VR design now.

I backed both Star Citizen, Elite: Dangerous, and the Oculus Rift very early on. I quickly grew to prefer SC over E:D due to a variety of design decisions.

I got my CV1 last week and loaded up E:D since it is the only space sim that supports VR well at the moment. What I can say is this -- if SC does not nail VR then it cannot hope to be the BDSSE.

VR is a total game changer, even in it's current early state. This isn't a gimmick like 3D TV was. Anyone who thinks otherwise has not tried a CV1 in a sim pit. All of the reasons that I preferred SC over E:D flew out the door the minute I was sitting in an Eagle and got interdicted by a pirate and ended up in a scrappy dogfight. Jousting ends up with you craning your neck behind you trying to get a visual, yanking back on the joystick as hard as you can, desperately hoping that you make the turn before he does. When your shields go down and something on your instrument panel bursts into flame it makes you jump. The smoke in the cockpit all around you makes you feel the urgency. And the feeling when you get the kill and turn your head to watch the fireball slide past is incredible.

It was an experience to rival the first time I loaded up World of Warcraft in 2004 and figured out that the world was bigger than the Night Elf island.

Star Citizen can't come close to delivering that experience without VR support. I shelved E:D shortly after Arena Commander came out because I liked the flight model and design direction of SC so much more, but now I can't stop playing E:D.

You can't compete with the immersion of VR on a 2D screen, and you have to design VR in from the start. Afterthoughts don't work, as is evidenced by many of the "VR" games you can get in Steam right now. The UI in Elite is perfect for VR. Panels come up and down as you look at things in the the cockpit. You feel like your are in the ship and everything is so smooth. They very intentionally designed it that way with VR in mind long ago, and they nailed it.

If SC releases Sq42 with well designed VR support then it will probably be a defining moment in entertainment media history. Take full motion capture with high-res faces and an epic story to rival Star Wars and combine that with good VR support that facilitates unparalleled immersion and it will be as big as the first Mickey Mouse cartoon was in its time.

VR is seriously the medium of the future. If you don't believe me, then find a way to demo a CV1 in E:D with a HOTAS. You will change your mind real fast.

Due to my experiences with the CV1 and E:D, I think CIG would be wise to greatly up the priority of VR ASAP. They have the chance to make something legendary here, and it would be a real shame if they fall short because they left VR design until late in the dev cycle.

There are two main arguments against prioritizing VR right now:

1. VR is a fad/gimmick and it will go away.
2. They can just add VR in later.

To point number 1: if you think this then you haven't tried a CV1. Find a way to try it out and you will change your opinion.

To point number 2: if you are the kind of person who get excited by space sims at all then you will have some sort of HMD within 3 years, I guarantee it. If you don't then you are shorting yourself of one of the most epic space sim experiences possible.

Once you have an HMD you won't be able to accept anything less than a full, well designed VR experience. And if SC doesn't offer that experience, then you will go elsewhere.

So then if SC needs to offer full VR, why can't they just design it in later? There is a core principle of software engineering that says that the earlier in a dev cycle you make a change or a fix the less it will cost. Chapter 3 of Code Complete has a little meta study of papers that concludes that fixing a defect post release can cost as much as 100X more than fixing it during design. And that is just defects -- if we look at core, cross-cutting features like VR then the cost is higher.

The point of this is that if CIG puts off VR design then they risk having the cost of the redesign be so high that they cannot pull it off. They are in a position to do it now. They can design UIs and game mechanics with it in mind, and they can get early feedback from alpha testers.

SC could be the defining game of this new VR world. It's so close, being a seamless first person world with high definition textures and bleeding edge motion and facial capture. But if they don't design it early, and the cost of designing it late becomes too high, then SC will be a little blip at the end of the era of 2D screens. Something else will take its place. But I don't want that; I want SC to be the defining VR game. I get excited by the lore, the vision, and the potential, and I don't want to see all of that get blown away by a disruptive technology because people didn't identify its importance early.

Don't worry friend, BanditLoaf has already commented on the matter, and they're going to get to VR after they get everything else done:

quote:

""We love VR, we will have VR in the final game… But do we want to devote resources to fix it, fix it, fix it— instead of just waiting until the end and saying ‘Okay, here is the final implementation?' VR is something we’re confident is not a technical challenge, we just need to do it at the right time." (55:16)

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

He's not wrong about VR by all reports being a gamechanger for space sims but

"the lore"

lmao

Pebergehund
Jan 21, 2010

G0RF posted:

Quoting this reddit post in it's entirety because Star Citizen Will Never Be VR Compatible...

As if Chris needed more reasons to rage...

Thoughts On VR Priority from a Rift CV1 Owner

Don't worry friend, BanditLoaf has already commented on the matter, and they're going to get to VR after they get everything else done:

"*feature* is something we’re confident is not a technical challenge"

Crazy_BlackParrot
Feb 1, 2016

Christ Roberts is way better than toilet lord...
:gary: :lesnick: :yarg:
:pgabz: :fuzzknot: :eonwe:
:wtchris:
Well this thread is turning into poo poo.
Seriously, even Eightace is starting with riddles now.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Reminds me, time to watch Consolevania again.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Crazy_BlackParrot posted:

Well this thread is turning into poo poo.
Seriously, even Eightace is starting with riddles now.

It is the endless cycle of the Star Citizen thread.

Don't worry, CIG will gently caress something up soon.

They always do.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

It's been a little over a week since everyone at CIG quit and they went bankrupt.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

T.G. Xarbala posted:

He's not wrong about VR by all reports being a gamechanger for space sims but

"the lore"

lmao

I really think that over the coming year this is going to be source of particular dread for Chris, because more and more whales are going to get their HMDs and have this experience with Elite-- one that they simply can't have with Star Citizen. In a death of a thousand cuts, this one may cut deepest..

So many people are going to be talking about the 'immersion' they felt in DAVID BRABEN'S FULL SCALE SIMULATION OF A GALAXY. And when their friends come over, they'll plop down and have their "WHOA!!!!" VR moments playing Elite, and they'll leave the whale's place saying "Man that was AMAZING. It was like I was REALLY FLYING MY OWN SPACESHIP!"

Worse still, Elite will just keep quietly adding on new features. I personally am pretty jazzed about 'The Engineers' but Multicrew is coming in the fall and once again, it is going to provide an opportunity for the slow, methodical, deliberative Frontier approach to shine. I'm pretty certain that Frontier will have spent a lot of time making sure that each player in multi crew has something useful to do when serving a team in a larger ship. They won't be sitting down in front of a useless display, waiting for the pilot to get where he's going. And one assumes that VR support here could make for some exciting multi crew experiences, too.

I think Chris has already written VR off, based on that secondhand story from the Bar Citizen guy, where Chris told him they'd have it in place when VR goggles were plentiful and unobtrusive or whatever he said. That sounds officially like a punt. He can't come right out and say it to the fans because they'd have every right to cry foul. So he'll just slide it over to the Engineering Debt stack. What's the harm of adding one more 'to do' to the list for the BDSSE?

G0RF fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 6, 2016

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

G0RF posted:

quote:

""We love VR, we will have VR in the final game… But do we want to devote resources to fix it, fix it, fix it— instead of just waiting until the end and saying ‘Okay, here is the final implementation?' VR is something we’re confident is not a technical challenge, we just need to do it at the right time." (55:16)

The only thing I can conclude from that quote is that they have never actually looked at VR. If they had, they'd know that the right time for doing it is now; the right time to start thinking about it in a project is from the very start; and that in the engine they've chosen, not only is it a technical challenge, but one that will force them to completely redesign larger and larger chunks of the game the longer they wait. The only other option is that they have looked at it and (quite rightly) deemed it an impossible fit for their game since it requires something completely different from what Chris wants to produce.

They're stumped by the technical challenge of having fixed elements move in a fixed pattern — getting the engine to render two highres images at 90FPS, and not make the user ill in this (and half a dozen different) ways is quite beyond them.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

EightAce posted:

Guess this thread will close shortly so Ill leave you with this.
The professor and Beer have inspired the collective. lets play a game
Figure this out and it will tell you all you need to know. Identities will be revealed and a full image will shimmer into view. The whole thing from pre crashed enzo's right up to now. Its not a joke its real

3/35/101/21/10/5/14/6/34/1/23/22/4/29/9/19/2/11

Hint: 64652067656b6b6520646f6b7465722077696a737420646520776567

Best I can gather from this pretty vague clue is that Sandi has been influencing CIG through numerology. The "mad doctor" could be Dr. Charles Musès, who was a fan of that poo poo. We already know with her weird "42" fetish that this is in her arena. Perhaps "11" is what she identifies herself as.

This is a complete shot in the dark, but with a puzzle as vague as this, I'm sure I could have come up with 100 more wrong guesses that nevertheless fit the clues. For example, did you know there's a band called "Space Eleven" that has space-themed music? I didn't until today.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

CIG need feedback so that they can sell more JPEGs lol

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/323691/let-s-talk-about-the-hornet/p1

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Scruffpuff posted:

Best I can gather from this pretty vague clue is that Sandi has been influencing CIG through numerology. The "mad doctor" could be Dr. Charles Musès, who was a fan of that poo poo. We already know with her weird "42" fetish that this is in her arena. Perhaps "11" is what she identifies herself as.

This is a complete shot in the dark, but with a puzzle as vague as this, I'm sure I could have come up with 100 more wrong guesses that nevertheless fit the clues. For example, did you know there's a band called "Space Eleven" that has space-themed music? I didn't until today.

Ah, so they were the ones that did Full Burn.

Dusty Lens
Jul 1, 2015

All Glory unto the Stimpire. Give up your arms and legs and embrace the beautiful agony of electricity that doubles in pain every second.

I elect the thread be nuked and DS exiled to the smart room until the end times are an observable event.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Tippis posted:

The only thing I can conclude from that quote is that they have never actually looked at VR. If they had, they'd know that the right time for doing it is now; the right time to start thinking about it in a project is from the very start; and that in the engine they've chosen, not only is it a technical challenge, but one that will force them to completely redesign larger and larger chunks of the game the longer they wait. The only other option is that they have looked at it and (quite rightly) deemed it an impossible fit for their game since it requires something completely different from what Chris wants to produce.

They're stumped by the technical challenge of having fixed elements move in a fixed pattern — getting the engine to render two highres images at 90FPS, and not make the user ill in this (and half a dozen different) ways is quite beyond them.
For sure. It's hopeless. Chris I believe knows this (I edited by most above to include mention of that Bar Citizen thing he said).

We saw Foundry in a recent AtV say it was on hold officially, too. Like they need more stuff on their plate!

I just wish Chris would come out and admit the obvious. But as always, he assumes with enough money and time he can do all things, and will. And he'll keep thinking that right up until the money and time run out.

• Locked thread